HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III: "Hemsky Off The Market" - MacT Presser

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2013, 01:35 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Would half of us even know who Abdelkader was if he stayed in the Wings bottom six? Because that's where he'd fit in our team.
Like Datsyuk has been quoted as saying, "sometimes for a good line you need guys who can play the piano and guys who can push the piano".

Decent philosophy - he's classically been put on lines with one of Franzen/Holmstrom/Cleary/Abdelkader over the past decade or so - and done well with it.

Maybe that's the type of guy the Oilers need to get RNH and Eberle going. A guy that will hit, grind, and crash the front of the net to make room for those 2 to operate.

Taylor Hall does all those things - but why not spread the talent through 2-3 lines?

Old
08-13-2013, 05:23 AM
Fourier

I find it interesting that people are planning on Hemsky being dealt at the deadline. For that to happen you would need 1) Hemsky to have had a bounce back year, 2) Hemsky to be injury free, and 3) the Oilers clearly out of playoff contention.

I don't expect the Oilers to be in the playoffs this year but I would also be surprised if they had packed it in by the deadline. If Hemsky is producing and the Oilers are anywhere near a playoff spot I would expect we would see the same thing we saw last year and they will ride out the season with him. If he is not producing you probably only get a bag of pucks for the guy given his contract.

Hemsky should have been traded at the deadline in 2010 or at the very least 2011. I think that ship has now sailed.

Old
08-13-2013, 09:39 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
if we had drafted Nich, there would be no Perron

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Nich-RNH-Yakupov
Paajarvi-Gordon-Hemsky
I'm personally okay with the Nurse pick, but this is a misconception. First of all, you can't just expect a rookie to come in and put up 50 points, first overalls can usually step right into a top 6 role, but most prospects need to be sheltered on the third line for at least half a season. Secondly, Nichushkin's natural position is RW, while Perron is a LW. It'd be a good idea to let Nichushkin start his career at RW and see if he can transition to LW when he gets a hang of the NA game. Besides, it's not like acquiring Perron is going to forever keep Nichushkin out of a top 6 role. If Nich can translate to LW, then we trade Perron+Gagner for that big 2-way 2nd line center. If Nich can't become a LW, but plays near Eberle/Yakupov level, we trade Eberle+ for a top pairing dman.

Old
08-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Yak City

Well, it's entirely hypothetical, but I'd tend to agree that we wouldn't have acquired Perron if we'd drafted Nichushkin. I think MacT viewed Paajarvi as a 3rd line player (which time will tell if he's right or wrong) and an open spot on the 2nd line - Nichushkin would likely have been expected to take that spot either this season or next.

It's a tough question - I don't know right now if I'd rather have Nichushkin+Paajarvi or Perron+Nurse. Personally I'd lean towards the latter, as defensively responsible wingers are easier to find than potential #1 d-men, and I view Nichushkin's potential vs. Perron's skill now as a wash or favouring Perron for at least 2 years.

Old
08-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I find it interesting that people are planning on Hemsky being dealt at the deadline. For that to happen you would need 1) Hemsky to have had a bounce back year, 2) Hemsky to be injury free, and 3) the Oilers clearly out of playoff contention.

I don't expect the Oilers to be in the playoffs this year but I would also be surprised if they had packed it in by the deadline. If Hemsky is producing and the Oilers are anywhere near a playoff spot I would expect we would see the same thing we saw last year and they will ride out the season with him. If he is not producing you probably only get a bag of pucks for the guy given his contract.

Hemsky should have been traded at the deadline in 2010 or at the very least 2011. I think that ship has now sailed.
Pretty much agree except that with his injuries I dont think there was ever a good deal on the table for Hemsky. Maybe they could have dealt him in 10 or 11 but it would have only been for draft picks and not high ones.

Old
08-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Fuhryous

Quote:

I too think he will be an Oiler throughout this season and they will likely get a return of 0 since he will likely walk as an UFA. I believe MacT has stated there likely won't be any market for him until during or after training camp/pre season. The only way I see this happening is if a skilled winger goes down long term during a pre-season game or in training camp which opens up a market for him.

That said, seeing how Hemsky is in a contract year, he'll be playing balls to the wall this season to earn that next contract. Which in a sense would or could be a good thing for the Oilers be it for being in playoff contention or trading him for a reasonable asset at the deadline to help with a playoff push...it all depends on him, hopefully he can stay healthy this season.

Old
08-13-2013, 02:29 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Mact lines

Hall-Gordon-yakupov
Perron-Gagner-hemsky
Smyth-Hopkins-eberle
?

Old
08-13-2013, 02:32 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Hall - Gagner - Yakupov
Jones - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
Perron - Gordon - Hemsky

Looks better IMO. I wouldn't mind that for lines honestly.
Ya, I think this would be nice to try. Nuge and Ebs can dangle the puck, tell Jones to skate to the net and cause as much chaos as possible.

Old
08-13-2013, 05:25 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
Mact lines

Hall-Gordon-yakupov
Perron-Gagner-hemsky
Smyth-Hopkins-eberle
?
Not going to lie, I spat out my drink when I read this.

Old
08-13-2013, 07:17 PM
skorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
well from what you say Perron Gordon and Hemsky would be a solid line.

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
Jones-Gags-Yaks
Perron-Gordon-Hemsky

I wouldn't mind fooling around with that.
Please no Jones, I'd rather take a shot with Rajala or Arcobello playing LW on the 2nd line then Jones.

And like someone else said, I'm hoping Hall and Yakupov are together again, with Gagner centering.

On second thought, a winger with Eberle and Nuge doesn't necessarily have to have talent, I guess you really just need someone who is willing to go to the net so a talent guy like Rajala wouldn't be needed and maybe Jones would work... though I will get laughed at for saying this, but going to the next is something Ryan Smyth is good at.
Also Joensuu is 6-4, I don't know much about him but I could see him being a decent winger for Nuge/Eberle as well if he's willing to go to the net.
Also again I don't know a ton about him, but Hamilton from the Marlies could be an ideal guy on their wing. He's 6-2, 230 pounds, and scored 30 goals last year, if he's halfway decent defensively and is willing to go to the net hard and open up space for Eberle/Nuge, I wouldn't mind him playing that 2nd line wing

-Maybe I'm biased against Jones, but I don't think he's that good defensively, and he is willing to throw his weight around but he isnt a force downlow in winning the 1 on 1 battles in the corner. I'd like someone better defensively and someone who can win those battles in the corner and in front of the net more consistently then him.

If we're putting Perron on the third line, give me

Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Joensuu or Hamilton-Nuge-Eberle
Perron-Gordon-Hemsky
Jones-Lander-(Brown, Smyth, Joensuu?, Eager?, Hamilton?, Acton?)

-I think Jones on the 4th line is ideal, he may be more talented then the guy on the 2nd line, but I think he'd fit better on the 4th line.

Old
08-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I'm sure Perron would be ecstatic to play on the 3rd line behind Hamilton or Joensuu.

Old
08-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Soundwave

I don't think Perron + Hemsky would be a good fit anyway, they both like to hold the puck.

Old
08-13-2013, 09:20 PM
McClelland

vCash: 50
Omark in edmonton right now!? Dont know if this cloutier is more reliable then Eklund though?

Hope McT takes what he gets, better then nothing!

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?b...1#.UgroQ210YTB

Old
08-13-2013, 09:36 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
Omark in edmonton right now!? Dont know if this cloutier is more reliable then Eklund though?

Hope McT takes what he gets, better then nothing!

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?b...1#.UgroQ210YTB
Not remotely reliable, but I doubt he'd flat out lie about whether or not Omark is in town

Old
08-13-2013, 10:48 PM
skorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
I'm sure Perron would be ecstatic to play on the 3rd line behind Hamilton or Joensuu.
Make his line the "shutdown" line. They'd likely start a lot of games against other teams top lines, and he would get solid minutes.

He'd still get PP minutes
Hall/Gagner/Yakupov/JSchultz/Hemsky
Perron/Nuge/Eberle/Petry/Belov or Ference

and we could give him PK minutes (let him and Gordon be on the #1 PK unit).... he could easily see 20+ minutes a night that way and lead all Oilers forwards in icetime.

Also, I'm sure he'd be just as happy playing behind those 2 as he would be about playing behind Jones.

Now I know someone will mention that idea is like the JFJ idea on the first line (it sort of is), but Nuge/Eberle are much more talented then Horcoff/Hemsky were. I'd say Nuge and Eberle have the puck control more like Toews/Kane or the Sedin's... I'd more be looking to find some like a poor man's Byfuglien (like their 2010 cup run) or like Anson Carter used to be for the Sedin's. Someone there who can be a bigger body, slap home rebounds, and has a decent shot for when the other 2 set them up. Since if the goal is to run 3 solid lines, we don't have the forwards to do that, so instead of finding a skilled guy to plug in on the 2nd line, we look for someone who could compliment Nuge/Eberle as a shooter in the slot, someone to dig pucks out of the corner, or someone to provide screens in front of the net.

Old
08-13-2013, 10:49 PM
Lindo

Cloutier's probably referring to the @RealLinusOmark twitter account which somehow got verified but I know for a fact it's definitely fake.

Old
08-13-2013, 11:23 PM
PETRYDISH

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Cloutier's probably referring to the @RealLinusOmark twitter account which somehow got verified but I know for a fact it's definitely fake.
I have an irrational addiction to anything Oilers so I read every blog on hockeybuzz just because.. Cloutier is just some dude sitting behind his computer, his emotional ranting and constant trolling are not my cup of tea... Still read it all the time though for some reason. I'd like to hear what other people think of him, does he have any sources what so ever??

Old
08-13-2013, 11:25 PM
Yak City

We've already tried various hartikainen/petrell/jones/eager (for two shifts I think?) Combos in the top six. Of all of those players, Jones was the only one to not look totally lost, but we're still better served playing our top six forwards (Perron) in the top six.

Old
08-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Lindo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
I have an irrational addiction to anything Oilers so I read every blog on hockeybuzz just because.. Cloutier is just some dude sitting behind his computer, his emotional ranting and constant trolling are not my cup of tea... Still read it all the time though for some reason. I'd like to hear what other people think of him, does he have any sources what so ever??
Haha I definitely have done the same. I seriously doubt his has any connections, but wouldn't be surprised if he got a tiny bit of info every once in a while. I don't mind his stuff really as I am the same with reading mostly everything Oilers, but I think he gets a lot of undeserved hate solely for writing for hockeybuzz. I take his writing as more of a 'super fan' instead of an insider. (much prefer Lowetide/OilersNation though).

In case anyone was wondering about the 'Omark in Edmonton' bit, that's what I was clarifying. @RealLinusOmark tweeted he was here but that account is totally fake. It's beyond me why it somehow got verified.

Old
08-13-2013, 11:41 PM
TakkoTime

Superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Haha I definitely have done the same. I seriously doubt his has any connections, but wouldn't be surprised if he got a tiny bit of info every once in a while. I don't mind his stuff really as I am the same with reading mostly everything Oilers, but I think he gets a lot of undeserved hate solely for writing for hockeybuzz. I take his writing as more of a 'super fan' instead of an insider. (much prefer Lowetide/OilersNation though).

In case anyone was wondering about the 'Omark in Edmonton' bit, that's what I was clarifying. @RealLinusOmark tweeted he was here but that account is totally fake. It's beyond me why it somehow got verified.
Superfan is a good way to describe him. He has zero sources although has been pretending to be in the know lately; his claim to fame is that LaForge was originally from Lac La Biche - (about an hr and a bit north of Edm) where Cloutier is located. That means nothing in the grand scheme of things- This 'info' from the fake Omark account is just another feather in his cap. He is no more connected than anyone here and in some cases, less so.
He says he is the 'most read Oilers blogger' and that's pretty sad, IMO.

-Takko

Old
08-13-2013, 11:57 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post
Please no Jones, I'd rather take a shot with Rajala or Arcobello playing LW on the 2nd line then Jones.

And like someone else said, I'm hoping Hall and Yakupov are together again, with Gagner centering.

On second thought, a winger with Eberle and Nuge doesn't necessarily have to have talent, I guess you really just need someone who is willing to go to the net so a talent guy like Rajala wouldn't be needed and maybe Jones would work... though I will get laughed at for saying this, but going to the next is something Ryan Smyth is good at.
Also Joensuu is 6-4, I don't know much about him but I could see him being a decent winger for Nuge/Eberle as well if he's willing to go to the net.
Also again I don't know a ton about him, but Hamilton from the Marlies could be an ideal guy on their wing. He's 6-2, 230 pounds, and scored 30 goals last year, if he's halfway decent defensively and is willing to go to the net hard and open up space for Eberle/Nuge, I wouldn't mind him playing that 2nd line wing

-Maybe I'm biased against Jones, but I don't think he's that good defensively, and he is willing to throw his weight around but he isnt a force downlow in winning the 1 on 1 battles in the corner. I'd like someone better defensively and someone who can win those battles in the corner and in front of the net more consistently then him.

If we're putting Perron on the third line, give me

Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Joensuu or Hamilton-Nuge-Eberle
Perron-Gordon-Hemsky
Jones-Lander-(Brown, Smyth, Joensuu?, Eager?, Hamilton?, Acton?)

-I think Jones on the 4th line is ideal, he may be more talented then the guy on the 2nd line, but I think he'd fit better on the 4th line.

I will get yelled at, but I also wouldn't mind trying

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
Smyth-Gags-yaks
Perron-Gordon-Hemsky

Just give the old man one last chance to prove him self. If he cna't do it, well, pull the plug fast.. I think it could be worth a shot. Maybe he has been traing hard all off season???? doubtful I know, but who knows.

Old
08-14-2013, 05:52 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I will get yelled at, but I also wouldn't mind trying

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
Smyth-Gags-yaks
Perron-Gordon-Hemsky

Just give the old man one last chance to prove him self. If he cna't do it, well, pull the plug fast.. I think it could be worth a shot. Maybe he has been traing hard all off season???? doubtful I know, but who knows.
Why is there any need to "give him the chance". His time has passed. If he has a role on this team it should be as a guy who can fill a spot due to injury or other short term issues.

Old
08-14-2013, 07:44 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Why is there any need to "give him the chance". His time has passed. If he has a role on this team it should be as a guy who can fill a spot due to injury or other short term issues.
I wonder if Smyth doesn't hang em up. I think the right thing to do (unless him running out of gas completely at about the twenty game mark last season was just a freak thing) would be to retire with dignity on opening night.

Speaking of retirement... anybody hear if Whitney has got any offers?

Old
08-14-2013, 08:01 AM
Usual_Suspect

@IgorEronko
#Geneve-Servette of Swiss #NLA announces signing of Lennart Petrell #Oilers

Old
08-14-2013, 08:27 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
@IgorEronko
#Geneve-Servette of Swiss #NLA announces signing of Lennart Petrell #Oilers
Good for Petrell, I hope he has success.

Closed Thread