HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread V: Needs to End Edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-14-2013, 02:15 AM
BBKers

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Out: AARON JOHNSON
The dealbreaker. Parade on Broadway

Old
08-14-2013, 03:59 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Montreal and Toronto got off to good starts in the 48 game lockout season. They tailed off a bit towards the end. Would they have made the playoffs in a full season? The Islanders had a great run at the end to get 8th. Arthur Staple of Newsday had a chat today. Islanders management is content with their D after losing Streit. Hamonic. MacDonald. Vishnovsky. Hickey. Carkner. Strait. Donovan as their 7th. Nabokov is 38. No experienced backup goalie.Streit is 35 years old and a minus player but they haven't replaced him. The guy plays 20 plus minutes a game. PP QB. Their leading scoring D. They are not re-signing Boyes. Bouchard and Clutterbuck were brought in from Minnesota. Bouchard replaces Boyes. When was the last time Bouchard played a full season? The Islanders are one team which will take a step back. Tavares is a great player. Moulson is a good player. Hamonic and MacDonald are good defenseman. Too many question marks after that.
That's a pessimistic outlook. What about Strome, and the growth of certain young players? I'm not a Nabokov fan either so I agree on that, but I do think that they're a playoff team.

Old
08-14-2013, 06:57 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
That's a pessimistic outlook. What about Strome, and the growth of certain young players? I'm not a Nabokov fan either so I agree on that, but I do think that they're a playoff team.
Strome will be a first year pro this season.

Tell me about the young players. Which ones? Okposo had 4 goals in the regular season. Bailey? He is entering his 6th NHL season. He is a 25-35 point player.

You forgot to mention Streit. How are they replacing him? Which young player is stepping up to replace those minutes and that production?

Old
08-14-2013, 07:15 AM
92hatchattack

Anyone know when training camp starts?

Old
08-14-2013, 07:23 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Henrik discussed his contract at the Swedish Olympic camp

He doesn't want to leave New York. Lundqvist wants to end his career with the Rangers.

Quote:
We're talking, there's so much I can say. There is no requirement that it should be ready this summer or even when the season begins. I well knew early on that I did not want to put pressure that it would be ready this summer or right now. That's why I said as I said says Henrik Lundqvist.

Previously, the Swedish star always pointed out that he can only imagine playing the New York Rangers, and strive to win the Stanley Cup there. When asked, "Could it be that as the years go by, the goal of winning the Stanley Cup be strörre than striving to win the Stanley Cup with the Rangers," says Henrik Lundqvist, after a long pause:

- It is clear that after eight years in New York and all the support I received from the organization and the fans and how good I feel comfortable, so I find it hard to see me play elsewhere. The challenge becomes even lovelier, you understand how much it meant. A big carrot and we for a discussion clearly.

Actually, he does not want to talk about the negotiations, did not discuss them in the media, do not want it to take focus away from hockey and the club in general. But it is an important time right now.

- Regardless of what happens around it must not affect my game. There is of course a very important part in my career, this contract, there is no denying about. But be shut out if the contract is not clear when the season begins. To focus on the right things.

Negotiations are in the right direction, he says, and he is not averse to end the career of Rangers, with an eight-year contract (the longest possible)
http://www.svt.se/sport/ishockey/lun...rt-fragetecken

Jeff Gorton said the negotiations will intensify when Lundqvist returns to New York from Sweden. It shouldn't be a hard negotiation. Andrew Gross asked Gorton about the Lundqvist negotiations stretching into the season. Lundqvist couldn't sign an extension until January the last time because he signed a 1 year contract in 2007. Gorton said they haven't had that discussion but it sounded like that isn't the plan.

https://soundcloud.com/lohud/rangers-assistant-gm-jeff

Old
08-14-2013, 07:25 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post
Anyone know when training camp starts?
September 11. Four weeks from today. 20 day training camp. Regular season begins October 1. Rangers begin October 3 in Phoenix. 10 PM start. Lousy time.

Old
08-14-2013, 07:28 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Defense and goaltending is so important in this league. The Islanders lost their top defenseman and have a 38 year old goalie without a backup.

Old
08-14-2013, 07:38 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Carolina is missing the playoffs again. Look at that defense. Pitkanen. Gleason. Sekera. Faulk. Harrison. Komisarek. They were looking at adding either Hainsey or Whitney as a free agent if Rutherford could move some salary. Either of those guys won't be much help. They will need Murphy to make a contribution. The Canes have all of their money tied up in the Staal brothers,Skinner,Semin,Ruutu,the 2 defensemen and Ward. Since winning the Cup in 2006,Carolina has made the playoffs once. 2009.

Old
08-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Dactyl
LMFAO KOSTKA

i think the east will look something like this:

Metro:
Pens
Rangers
Caps
Jackets
Canes
Isles
Flyers
Devils

Atlantic:
Bruins
Sens
Leafs
Wings
Habs
Sabres
Bolts

top 8:
Bruins
Penguins
Rangers
Sens
Leafs
Caps
Jackets
Wings

So how would the playoffs work with the new rules. im not sure if i understand them correctly.

Old
08-14-2013, 08:27 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
That's our division. Not getting the "top 8 east" posts, it's all divisional under the new realignment.
Nah, I think the top 8 will be the one that matters.

I have a hard time seing 6 of the top 8 clubs being from either the Metropolitan or the Atlantic division.

If max 5 clubs from either division ranks in the top 8, the top 8 effectivly ends up making the PO's. It is not impossible that we will not see the top 8 from the East make the PO's (say Phi, Pitt, NYR, Was, Carolina, and one of NJD/CBJ/NYI all being ahead of Buf, Fla, MTL, Tor, Ott, Tampa and Toronto), but its not likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post

Metro:
Pens
Rangers
Caps

Jackets
Canes
Isles
Flyers
Devils

Atlantic:
Bruins
Sens
Leafs
Wings
Habs
Sabres
Bolts

top 8:
Bruins
Penguins
Rangers
Sens
Leafs
Caps
Jackets
Wings

So how would the playoffs work with the new rules. im not sure if i understand them correcest pts.
Top 3 in each div are locks. 2 wildcards.

Ie, the bolded and underlined teams are locks and the bolded teams forms the top 8. In your example the top 8 ends up making the PO's, and like I said above, unless 6 of the top 8 teams in the East comes from one division, the top 8 will end up making it.

Last edited by Ola: 08-14-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old
08-14-2013, 08:37 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post

Metro:
Pens
Rangers
Caps
Jackets
Canes
Isles
Flyers
Devils

Atlantic:
Bruins
Sens
Leafs
Wings
Habs
Sabres
Bolts

top 8:
Bruins
Penguins
Rangers
Sens
Leafs
Caps
Jackets
Wings

So how would the playoffs work with the new rules. im not sure if i understand them correctly.
Top 3 from each division.

Top 2 remaining from each conference (wild cards).

#1 conference vs #2 wild card
#2 conference vs #1 wild card

Then its remaining: top seed division vs lowest seed division.

Someone correct me if im wrong.

Old
08-14-2013, 08:49 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

As I understand it, in Ola's example if the Habs have a better record than the Jackets they are in and Columbus is out.

So each division can have a min of 3 teams in and a max of 5.

08-14-2013, 08:56 AM
SouthJerseyRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Top 3 in each division make it. The next two teams in the conference make it as "wild cards." Better #1 seed plays lesser wild card. #2 and #3 divisional seeds play within the division. Winner of division leader's series plays winner of that division's 2/3 series. Division finals winners play in conference finals.

So, if you had Pit (110), NYR (105), NYI (100), NJD (95) in the Metro and Bos (109), Tor (105), Det (103), Ott (101), Mtl (97) in the Atlantic, the playoffs would be Pit/Mtl, NYR/NYI in the Metro matchups and Bos/Ott, Tor/Det in the Atlantic matchups. Devils would still miss despite finishing 4th in their division.

Make sense? Thought so.

The only, only thing I don't like about it is, even if you have 4 teams from each division, you still get a crossover wildcard if the lesser team is in the opposite division from the better division leader. (ie, same Metro standings, but put Ott at 94 and Mtl at 93. The Devils make the playoffs instead of Montreal, but they still swap divisions with the Senators because Ottawa had less points).
Yes. It is truly asinine. Divisional playoffs? The increased chances of facing a rival in the playoffs is minimal. No one see this.

Nor does anyone seem to see that were not playing anyone any more than they usually would. I've seen Washington fans all excited about playing the Penguins more. Old alignment - 4 times. New alignment - 4 times. Maths escape the HFboards.

Anyone else want NYR, NYI, PHI, NJD, PIT, and WAS to declare mutiny and restart the Patrick Division?

Old
08-14-2013, 08:57 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Columbus is another team which had a tough start and then couldn't lose. JD and Jarmo held off on extending Gaborik this summer. Bob got a rich 2 year deal. Is he the real deal? Good D. Murray will play this season after shoulder surgery. Can they score enough goals?

Old
08-14-2013, 09:01 AM
Ola

Quote:
Montreal and Toronto got off to good starts in the 48 game lockout season. They tailed off a bit towards the end. Would they have made the playoffs in a full season? The Islanders had a great run at the end to get 8th. Arthur Staple of Newsday had a chat today. Islanders management is content with their D after losing Streit. Hamonic. MacDonald. Vishnovsky. Hickey. Carkner. Strait. Donovan as their 7th. Nabokov is 38. No experienced backup goalie.Streit is 35 years old and a minus player but they haven't replaced him. The guy plays 20 plus minutes a game. PP QB. Their leading scoring D. They are not re-signing Boyes. Bouchard and Clutterbuck were brought in from Minnesota. Bouchard replaces Boyes. When was the last time Bouchard played a full season? The Islanders are one team which will take a step back. Tavares is a great player. Moulson is a good player. Hamonic and MacDonald are good defenseman. Too many question marks after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
You're never shy about ruffling feathers, are you?
Its an Olympic year. It will be a long year.

There is a group of more or less interchangeable teams, that if we look back at them say 3-5 years from now, we will feel that 1 or 2 of them just had a great year this year and 1 or 2 of them maybe was on the way up.

A team can just have a off year due to a bad start, injuries piling on, pressure, players not putting it together or whatever.

Picking a top 8 is a bit throwing spaghetti like.

My guess is that the teams that are well rested and really determined to keep it together from day 1 will do well this year -- in the regular season. My PO top 8 would look diffrence so to speak for sure. I think Philly has potential to do really well in the regular season. They want to prove themselves. They have added Streit and Lecavalier and, so far, only lost Universe. They did well when half-healthy last season. Wouldn't be suprised if they poured it on. Detroit is well rested and in a new conference. I think they are walking a fine line in terms of perserving their extremely strong identity as a team and falling apart. But I wouldn't be suprised if they had a statement season in the East this year. I think it was smart by Boston to make a few moves. Shake up their roster. But Boston has been (I think) 4, 4, 2, 6 and 5 or something like that in the East their last 5 years. They played in late June last season. I am not sold on the addition of Iginla for 6m per. They have lost some depth for sure. I just don't see why Boston should win the East this year. I don't. I think they may have to grind it out. I think Pittsburgh has all the potential in the world to win the East, but does it matter for them? They need to gain back that identity. That could fire both ways, either they slam dunk the entire season and wins the East, or they struggle to bring up the right energy from day 1 till March/April. I would guess at top 3 but not top 1, but its only a guess. I think Hank will have to send us of on a good start. We could have a half tough year if he don't. But we have good players and good depth, and the best goalie. Hopefully we don't have to be in the 9 - 6 segment.

Old
08-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post
Yes. It is truly asinine. Divisional playoffs? The increased chances of facing a rival in the playoffs is minimal. No one see this.

Nor does anyone seem to see that were not playing anyone any more than they usually would. I've seen Washington fans all excited about playing the Penguins more. Old alignment - 4 times. New alignment - 4 times. Maths escape the HFboards.

Anyone else want NYR, NYI, PHI, NJD, PIT, and WAS to declare mutiny and restart the Patrick Division?
Well, that scenario we don't like is the only scenario in which there's more than 1 non-divisional matchup. I'd say going from a setup where you could have 0 divisional matchups to a setup were you usually will have 3 or 4, and rarely 2 as a minimum, is a big change in the chance you'll meet a rival in the playoffs.

Old
08-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Columbus is another team which had a tough start and then couldn't lose. JD and Jarmo held off on extending Gaborik this summer. Bob got a rich 2 year deal. Is he the real deal? Good D. Murray will play this season after shoulder surgery. Can they score enough goals?
Added Horton too. The Blue Jackets and the Hurricanes are the real question marks in the division. The Hurricanes because they should have been much better than they were last year, but losing your starter and your backup to injuries can put a damper on things. They also added Sekera to their D this offseason, which might be the most underrated move any team has made. The real question mark they have is their forward depth. The Canes top-6 is great. They don't have much after it, though.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Islanders bumped out of the picture and these two teams in.

Old
08-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Ola

Quote:
Yeah, could have like what, only three guys in the OG's? Really wants to get in, they have a deep lineup.

If a team like NYR, Toronto, Montreal, Philly or Detroit just don't have a good year, when everything is said and done CBJ could be 2-3 pts behind them or 2-3 pts ahead of them. The marginals will be really small.

Old
08-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Ola, I'm not sure I believe in Philadelphia's goaltending. Mason and Emery? Putting a lot of weight on two guys who aren't proven as high quality NHL starters. Plus, adding Streit didn't solve the issue the team has with their D group... namely defense.

Old
08-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Ola

One thing that kind of annoys me, due to the fact that we have fought hard to get a good blueline and have good depth that we can use as assets, is that sooooo many teams seem to have strong bluelines all of a sudden. I don't think its absurd to talk about our blueline being top 5, as well as I don't think its absurd talking about Columbus BJ blueline vs ours. I mean, they just have a solid top 6 and some depth:

Wish and Jack Johnson are good offensiveminded D's. They give them a punch from the blueline. Tyutin is a solid Nr 3 D. Nikitin is a very solid top 4 D. Tim Erixon could really step up this season and become a solid top 4. Ryan Murray got a ton of hockey in him.

I saw a game with PHX the other day. Yandle was playing great hockey. He was playing hockey at a level you more or less only see from the Ryan Suters in this league, just slightly below the absolute best. OEL is so gifted. Michalek was really strong for them in their nr 3 role. Morris gets the job done, he has been there along time. Stone is a very solid young D. Rundblad played really well for them. Excellent game offensively and not a misstake over 60 minutes. Had a big hit.

But, Ola, look at Philly, can they make the PO's with their blueline? Sterit and Timmonen scored a combined 56 pts last season (27+29). That is topped in terms of duos of only Subban and Markov and Letang and Martin. Sure, Timmonen and Sterit are getting older. But they will put up pts from the blueline next season. Offense won't be a problem for them. Then they have Grossman, Gustavsson, Coburn and Schenn. And Mezaros on the roster.

Is that really a blueline that can't get a team into the PO's? Their is a potential for a breakdown in Philly with their goaltender sitaution along with potential injuries to their blueline. Sure. Higher so than elsewhere. But, it could also be a strength for them.

Montreal. The list is long.

Last edited by Ola: 08-14-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old
08-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

In no way shape or form could Philly's D be considered a "Strength" for them.

Old
08-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Philly's D is passable at best. Streit can move the puck well, but he's certainly not a defensive stalwart. Schenn is mediocre and Coburn is inconsistent as hell. That D in front of a couple of headcase goalies is going to require the Flyers to score a ton of goals.

Old
08-14-2013, 10:05 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

What was the point of having two wild cards, opposed to simply having the top four in each division?

It doesn't guarantee that teams deserving will get into the playoffs and teams un-deserving will miss.

Not likely, but posible (yes?) that the two wild card teams are the #1 and #2 teams in the opposite division, and it is entirely possible those two teams finished with less points than #6 and #7 in the opposite division.

Division A
1 - 100
2 - 99
3 - 98
4 - 97
5 - 96
6 - 95
7 - 94
8 - 91

Division B
1 - 93
2 - 92
3 - 90
4 - 89
5 - 88
6 - 87
7 - 86
8 - 85

Again, entirely unrealistic, but entirely possible this situation happens (numbers are just to make the point).

So #1 and #2 from Division B are guaranteed playoff spots, even though #6 and #7 from Division A finished with more points.

What is the point of the cross over?

They SHOULD have done what they proposed earlier: four separate and distinct CONFERENCES...top four of each conference in the playoffs. First two rounds within conference...then Conference winner seed #1 vs Conference winner seed #4, Conference winner seed #2 vs Conference winner seed #3...then Stanley Cup Finals.

Which would mean a Stanley Cup Final of DET vs CHI, or BOS vs NYR could be possible.

Instead, the chimps in the NHL decided to make things more complicated and convoluted.

Old
08-14-2013, 10:29 AM
azaloum90

yeah the wildcard is confusing. I think they tried to rip a page from the NFL's book, but of course it tore half way through the process

Old
08-14-2013, 10:45 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Added Horton too. The Blue Jackets and the Hurricanes are the real question marks in the division. The Hurricanes because they should have been much better than they were last year, but losing your starter and your backup to injuries can put a damper on things. They also added Sekera to their D this offseason, which might be the most underrated move any team has made. The real question mark they have is their forward depth. The Canes top-6 is great. They don't have much after it, though.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Islanders bumped out of the picture and these two teams in.
Horton had shoulder surgery last month. He will be out until December or January. 5-6 month recovery.

Closed Thread