HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would Montreal Welcome the Expos Back

Old
08-13-2013, 09:49 PM
deandebean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
I don't care whether the sport is missed or not, you people need some serious perspective on how much it would cost to actually get into MLB. We're talking 750,000,000$ and up just for the damn franchise plus the stadium cost on top of it. You are nuts if you think anybody in this province is going to agree footing the bill for that.

You'd be better off starting your own Canadian professional baseball league.
1000% correct.

un

Unless someone buys the Rays and moves them, no way does this city get another team.

Although nostalgia is powerful, it doesn't work do wonders on the financial front.

The Expos ball was dropped a long time ago by many, INCLUDING the fans. Stop blaming the stadium. It sucked, yes. But it sucked in many stadias around North America. But Montreal had the worst crowds, even with a winning ball club.

Montreal is a Canadiens city, with some minor league sports like Impact and Alouettes that carry the summer load. Baseball left this city way before 2004. I'd say it left even before 1994. I saw dismal crowds in 1991-1992-1993 and EVEN 1994, when the team was exciting.

Nostalgia is cool, but nostalgia can warp someone's memory a lot. The Expos had good crowds in the early 80's. That's about it.

Baseball is a minor sport in this province right now, and will stay that way. Besides, I'm still not convinced that the sport is still big in mainstream media across the US, except when there's a drug scandal or it's the world series.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 09:50 PM
Nom de Guerre
You Had ONE JOB

It would be nice to have them back. I would play the games at the Big O if it was refurbished with a new roof. Bringing back the Expos to the Big O would be a great way to develop that area of the city. New condos/apartments, new stores new everything. Build a whole new area like what they are doing with Griffintown.

On the other hand its baseball and baseball in my opinion is boring as hell.

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 09:58 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
I though I clearly identified both
Parking won't be better downtown. There's certain things that cannot change. There's pros and cons to every place. It's not to say there isn't a better spot or facility than the one there is now but I don't think some issues will go away and I think others will present themselves. It won't solve the fundamental problem. No one I talk to cares about baseball. They will talk about hockey, soccer and football but never a word about baseball. In fact, those who bring up baseball often reference expos only and have little passion for the sport. They will bandwagon and enjoy the ride but won't be there forever.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 11:20 PM
Icemen

Who want season tickets

http://exposnation.com/billets-de-saison-stade-expos/

Icemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 11:28 PM
TorontoSports

Did someone compare baseball in Montreal to Hockey in Phoenix? That has to be the most ignorant comparison ever...

There was NEVER a rich history of hockey in Phoenix. There were no legendary AAA teams\players before the NHL got there. The team was not called "nos amour" or anything even close to that when the yotes came to town.

Also, I read someone saying the Expos have benefitted from tax dollars before and failed? When that team was playing in Jarry Parc they how better crowds and atmosphere. Baseball is meant to be played outdoors not in a tomb. Look at the Als.. that was a team destined to fold again until they moved into the stadium at mcgill. Olympic Stadium was never built for the spos, it was built for the olympics. The expos had to move in there and Montreal never built them a baseball stadium.

Maybe Montreal really is an amateur sports town.

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 11:33 PM
Icemen

and now rumors for Jays exhibition game

http://www.985sports.ca/baseball/nou...cr-258926.html

Icemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 11:34 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoSports View Post
[...] There was NEVER a rich history of hockey in Phoenix. There were no legendary AAA teams\players before the NHL got there. The team was not called "nos amour" or anything even close to that when the yotes came to town. [...]
also: jackie robinson

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 11:56 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoSports View Post
Ummmm... no it is certainly not dead...

https://www.facebook.com/ExposNation

A couple thousand expos fans took over a jays game last month. If the Jets can go back to winnipeg than I certainly believe the MLB, a league that does not have another feasible place to put a baseball team in North America, can return to Montreal.
Yeah but the thing is in Winnipeg, the arena was full before they left. Here, there was barely 10 000 fans every night. They had worst attendance then the Impact when they were playing in the A-League/USL. Nobody cared about baseball except media and a small portion of fans. Actually, you can still see that today: you have they old farts in the media that grew up with hockey and baseball and that's basically all they know.

Quote:
I don't believe in the arguments about soccer fields being created and baseball minor leagues not existing. Soccer fields have been around in Canada for decades.
Well, I live here and I can tell you that many baseball fields were replaced with soccer fields. The fact that there was soccer fields before doesn't mean there isn't more nowadays.

Quote:
Montreal has tasted Baseball at its highest level and will not settle for a minor league.
The problem wasn't the caliber, it was people not giving a **** about the sport and having god awful owners.

Quote:
The MLS is far away from being the best soccer league in the World and even though I do enjoy the league it's not on the levels of the Major sports leagues in North America.
The thing is, MLS fans know that. But it's like watching a child grow. It's growing and growing, teams have academies where they develop talent, better foreign players are coming to play here and at younger ages, soccer specific stadiums are built everywhere, the league will add 5 new teams in the next years, etc. The quality of play is improving everywhere except in Toronto TFC is terrible.

Quote:
The CFL on ESPN2 has similar numbers to the MLS on ESPN2 and there is no American CFL team.
Okay and? Soccer hasn't supplanted football and baseball in the US so it's only natural CFL has decent numbers there.

Quote:
If I could bet on Montreal having a team within 10 years I'd take that bet. Selig is going to retire soon anyway.
Go ahead son.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 06:03 AM
KrejciMVP

Sigh... MLS soccer? Lol... ok but on a serious note the baseball doubters fail to realize how a move to the AL east would benefit this team. 3 instant rivalries and two of those are against 2 of baseballs most storied franchises. Those teams also bring fans with them. The rays right now cant even sell out playoff games. I doubt montreal would have that issue.

KrejciMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:34 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I'll believe t when I see it. I was 18 in 1994 when they had the staked team that got screwed by the strike. That year I went to over 20 games and most years before and after I went to 10+ games.

I was an Expos fan and not a baseball fan I guess. Since the team left I have barely followed the sport. Maybe their departure left a crappy tasty in my mouth but I would be open to a team coming back in the right circumstances. That being said, is their land left downtown to build a proper stadium?

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:39 AM
Habs4thewin

You don't see fans around because in the province, you have to go see Quebec in CAN-AM league to get some "professional" baseball... A lot of "old" expos fans planned trip to NY, Toronto, Boston and other close city to watch some games... Bring a team here and you'll see that young kids will beg their parents to buy some gloves and bats and would want the new star t-shirt along with it...

Montreal is a baseball town without a baseball team...

Habs4thewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:10 AM
Lafleurs Guy

One thing's for sure.

It would be packed every opening day!

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
One thing's for sure.

It would be packed every opening day!
And on dollar hot dog days!

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:19 AM
25get

MLB is dead to me.
The Loria/Samson saga did it fi

I never looked at a baseball game after that.
Back in 2003, there was over a million fans supporting the Expos.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:32 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
It already has an impact on the North American sports scene. You just need to look at the attendance averages vs the Big 4 leagues and the results of the USMNT with MLS developed players. Also, lol @ "amateur boring soccer". You explain me why many of these amateurs from the MLS get transferred to good European leagues.

Baseball is dead in Montreal. Deal with it.
No it is not.

HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:42 AM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

IN a perfect world, the Nationals (christ what a bland, generic sounding name) would be sent back to Montreal, Tampa Bay would be sent to Washington, and Selig and Loria would be wrapped up in an American flag and dropped over Iran.

ON a serious note, if they had it built with private funds, and could find some land to plop down a proper ballpark (downtown would be awesome, but isn't it all condos now?), and had an owner that wasn't a complete nitwit, it could work. Could even use the Big Owe while it's being built and then put that white elephant out of it's misery once moved.

Plus the AL East is perfect market wise for a Montreal based team. with the old NL East, the closest rivals you had were the Mets. The rest were either in PA, the midwest, or the deep south. With the AL East, you have Boston (5 hour drive), Toronto (5 hour drive), New York (6 hours), with Baltimore being the outlier. Most can be flown too in an hour and change, out of town folks would find it much easier to stop by Montreal for the weekend, see the sights and catch a game then coming from Atlanta or Miami, and there's already a bit of a rivalry through the Habs with Toronto and Boston. Only downside is the loss of ever having an all Canadian World Series.

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Mr. Hab

Location! Location! Location!

Look how well the Als are doing (great location).
And, there are more Expos fans vs Als fans in Mtl...just about location.

Get a stadium close to downtown area and it's going to happen, imo.
(or find a way to enlarge the McGill stadium?).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 09:21 AM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Location! Location! Location!

Look how well the Als are doing (great location).
And, there are more Expos fans vs Als fans in Mtl...just about location.

Get a stadium close to downtown area and it's going to happen, imo.
(or find a way to enlarge the McGill stadium?).
Pretty much this. Skydome works great in Toronto because it's so easy to get on the GO train, or even the VIA if so inclined, and be dropped off practically right next door to the stadium. Puts any fan of the team within most of Southern Ontario in reach of seeing a game live quite easy. If the same thing could be done with Montreal, most of Quebec and Eastern Ontario could become a market to draw on.

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 09:54 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
OK. I guess that is your opinion. With recent immigrants and an MLS franchise, Soccer is the new sport in town. The Habs are loved in the winter, and the Impact are being enjoyed in the summer. I have been going to many games this year, 20$ tickets and I live in Rosemont with my girlfriend, so i drive 5 minutes, park on PIE-IX and I am there with minutes to spare.tv

I just don't see any baseball backing. I don't see a population that cares about this sport after this sport gave up on us. I can't see a franchise succeed long term in Montreal, the support just won't be there. Soccer is the new sport of Canada, and certainly Montreal is following. Every park I see, baseball diamonds are a thing of the passed. Soccer fields are taking over.
stop hanging out in the east end and ull see many more potential fans... its a bigger city than you think and saputo and the impact fans are a tiny pimple compared to the potential baseball fan base

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 09:58 AM
RC51

NO I do NOT want MLB back in MTL. I have not changed my mind ever.
It's simple, MLB is totally fixed. I will talk about drugs in a sec. By fixed I mean this, the rich clubs own everything. They have the money to just BUY anybody, any player. It's been like this since day one of MLB.
Parity in non-existing. Every year maybe 6-8 teams have a chance, then maybe on a wild occasion a luck team will come from the rest of the clubs to have a great year. That teams only has a few dollars so it will lose almost all it's best players in the years following TO guess who.
I remember the expos. I remember all the MLB promises that were made about parity to the Expos. Promises of 2-3 years to go before MLB parity. LIES ANN MORE LIES. It never happened. It was all lies just to put people in the stands with NO HOPE of winning the World Series.
It's about MONEY. It's NOT about sports. MLB lies to the world and hides behind propaganda.
Need MORE proof? Is there anybody in the world that believs MLB never knew about the drugs..... 50 home runs was great for the ticket gate. Who cares who did what to up the gate. The players are just as bad as the owners. Take NO drugs and you hit 20-25 homers and your paycheck is 2-3 mil per year. Take drugs and hit 50 homers and you get 10years at 20mill per year. Sure cheaters all but the owners are just as bad. The entire MLB is BAD, not every single player but the MLB idea is all about getting YOU to pay for tickets. Sport? this is no sport, this is a fixed game played by fixed players with a huge propaganda budget. Americas Game ! WOW, "say it ain't so'

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:08 AM
optimus2861

Even if the Expos came back, would fans really go see them knowing their likely fate as a small-money team that would be forced to go through the same old motions of "draft promising player, develop him, watch him sign big FA contract, watch team plummet in standings"?

I think a new Expos franchise would be fun for a year, sorta-cool for a second, then fade from interest real fast as the futility of hoping for a winner sets in. The team wouldn't last a decade.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:28 AM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4thewin View Post
You don't see fans around because in the province, you have to go see Quebec in CAN-AM league to get some "professional" baseball... A lot of "old" expos fans planned trip to NY, Toronto, Boston and other close city to watch some games... Bring a team here and you'll see that young kids will beg their parents to buy some gloves and bats and would want the new star t-shirt along with it...

Montreal is a baseball town without a baseball team...
There's a CAN-AM team in Trois-Rivières this year. I am going tonight. Quebec vs Trois-Rivières.

Montreal should get a team. That would be great.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:35 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
There's a CAN-AM team in Trois-Rivières this year. I am going tonight. Quebec vs Trois-Rivières.

Montreal should get a team. That would be great.
No they shouldn't. Montreal isn't a minor league city.

HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:45 AM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH View Post
No they shouldn't. Montreal isn't a minor league city.
Well, right now Montreal is no baseball city.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:03 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Perspective is everything
just because you don't see something in your little corner of the world it doesnt mean that it doesnt exist
Or would you like to tell the kids of NDG that?
They've recently appeared at the minor leaugue world series

Baseball HAS a following in this city and is missed by many
Many like me who are able to buy many more tickets then when they were kids, many like me who grew up listening to the game because not all games were broadcast.

I'm sorry if I came across ignorant, but thank you for sharing with me this information. Never the less, baseball has receded largely with the increase in soccer fans.

I also miss baseball, but I don't think their are enough of us around that can make this sport viable in Montreal. The average baseball makes 3.2 million a year. On a 25 man roster, you are talking about 80 million in salaries a year, for a team that may never even sniff the playoffs. Let's say the average ticket to an Expos game is what 30$? (VIP tickets used to sell for 36$ if my memory serves me) At that price, the seats would need to have 33 000 fans per game to break even on only the teams salary. (Yes I know their is other revenue, but their is also other expenses)

I can see maybe 10 000 avg for the whole year. The sport has too many games, and die hard fans like you are few and far between.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote