HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who did the Habs want with pick #19 at the draft?

Old
08-14-2013, 11:05 AM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Didn't grant already confirm that gauthier wasn't particularly high on Timmin's list? I think he said even DLR was above him.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:30 AM
charlie

vCash: 358
If Kerby Rychel is still available I would be trying to move up and get him.
I think he is going to be NHL beast.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Pretty sure it was for Rychel..!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:32 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Didn't grant already confirm that gauthier wasn't particularly high on Timmin's list? I think he said even DLR was above him.
He did, that's why I'm not sold on FG. tbqh I think it might have been Rychel or Shinkaruk. Shink was slated as top 10 talent but fell like Teravainen did, and would have been a solid pick up. Rychel is well, character as it gets.

I feel the fact that we got DLR addresses what FG would have brought to the table minus 2 inches.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Personally, I think all of the rumours about it being Gauthier are from those who assume Montreal was after the big French guy. But nothing based on fact.

They had to know he was going to be gone in the 18-22 range as he was in every mock and he's exactly what a team like Toronto would look for. So at very least, I don't buy the whole "Bergevin was visibly upset when Toronto took Gauthier" crap. That's like walking off a dock and being visibly upset that you got wet.
Players slip in that range every year. Zykov and Fucale fell to the 2nd round. I don't think it would've been unreasonable to hope that Gauthier would be passed over by teams 21-24 and disappointed when he wasn't.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Awesome videos

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 02:19 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

When he tried to move for the 11th pick, I actualy think it was for Domi.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Players slip in that range every year. Zykov and Fucale fell to the 2nd round. I don't think it would've been unreasonable to hope that Gauthier would be passed over by teams 21-24 and disappointed when he wasn't.
It's one thing to not be shocked if a guy slips. It's another thing entirely to be disappointed he didn't.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 02:58 PM
HabsRockBruinsChoke

Wow... Buffalo pretty much stated that they wanted Domi, and after Phoenix took him, they took back the offer to Columbus in moving up the draft...

Intense stuff, I didn't know they could trade picks till the last minute

HabsRockBruinsChoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 03:07 PM
HabsRockBruinsChoke

Kekelainen didnt even listen to the offer!!

I'm pretty sure it was Gauthier though.. unless you have concrete evidence that DLR was rated higher than him, than it was Gauthier. He's same size as McCarron + hes got higher points + hes French Canadien.

HabsRockBruinsChoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 03:24 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRockBruinsChoke View Post
Kekelainen didnt even listen to the offer!!

I'm pretty sure it was Gauthier though.. unless you have concrete evidence that DLR was rated higher than him, than it was Gauthier. He's same size as McCarron + hes got higher points + hes French Canadien.
Well then, case closed. This scouting stuff is pretty easy!

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
No way in hell it was Gauthier. He was the one with the less upside in the whole 1st round. My guess is Kerby Rychel, similar style to Bo Horvat whom apparently we were very high on. Man I would LOVE to see that list, like where the hell where Morin, McCarron, De La Rose and Fucale on his list.
I don't agree. People are too quick to knock Gauthier's upside because he struggled the last 2 months. After recharging his batteries he was very good at the U18. I think the kid can be a 50-60 point NHLer PLUS be a top shutdown guy(Kesler) . Plus he is 6'5" and plays center. Pretty darn good pick at 21. A lot more upside than guys like Dickinson Rychel Pulock McCarron.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
My guesses would be Gauthier and Mantha, actually.
I heard through the grapevine that the Habs were not very high on Mantha and were happy he went before their pick(leaving a player they actually wanted).

Old
08-14-2013, 03:49 PM
kingdok

Kekalainen, before drafting Wennberg, to his scouts: ''if this who you guys want..''

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 03:52 PM
MrNasty

I love these videos.

Interesting insight into the draft; especially the "trade value meter" Karkolainen and Davidson referred to qwhen discussing San Jose's offer for #14. Said the offer of 20 oa, a second and a third was marginally better than the 14th...but they still turned it down when SJ offered the 20oa, 2-2nds and a 4th to move up 6 spots. They must have really liked Wennberg.

Also chuckled when he said to his scouts to close their books when going up to the stage...obviously some teams walk around peeking at other teams lists.

The Flyers draft day video should be out soon and we know Bergevin was talking with Holmgren to move up.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Malreg

It wasn't Gauthier.

Grant McCagg, from the McCarron thread:

Quote:
First of all...Bergevin doesn't make those decisions. Secondly....no way the Habs had Gauthier ranked ahead of Mccarron...in fact they didn't have Gauthier ranked ahead of de la Rose.

Malreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 04:02 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I don't agree. People are too quick to knock Gauthier's upside because he struggled the last 2 months. After recharging his batteries he was very good at the U18. I think the kid can be a 50-60 point NHLer PLUS be a top shutdown guy(Kesler) . Plus he is 6'5" and plays center. Pretty darn good pick at 21. A lot more upside than guys like Dickinson Rychel Pulock McCarron.
Whoa there, you're not even talking about the probability of a prospect reaching his potential (upside), but saying outright that Gauthier has 'a lot' more upside. I think many there would disagree with that.

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Impossible Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Well then, case closed. This scouting stuff is pretty easy!
Exactly. Actually watching players is so overrated now, you're better off with stats and nationality. Tells much more about the player without even moving from your home.

Do I really need to put ?

Impossible Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 04:19 PM
JusticeBeaver
Twitter: @gar****al

Love how he answers the phone when MTL called, which im sure is standard with time moving fast on the draft floor. Or he just doesn't like him haha

I love these behind the scenes shows as well, while we are on it, anyone know of any more floating around out there (minus the oilers)

JusticeBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 05:24 PM
MrNasty

I wonder who the players they were debating about lack of character were. The one scout was pretty adamant he didn't want to draft a few guys despite how talented they were.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
I wonder who the players they were debating about lack of character were. The one scout was pretty adamant he didn't want to draft a few guys despite how talented they were.
Mantha? Erne?

Old
08-14-2013, 07:32 PM
le_sean

Jesus, Wennberg is ridiculously handsome. He might have a field day walking around Ohio State campus.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Jesus, Wennberg is ridiculously handsome. He might have a field day walking around Ohio State campus.
I suggest you have a look at the pictures he took for the draft They're...hilarious in an odd way.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:44 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Mantha? Erne?
I assume it'd be Erne since they passed on him 3 times and his attitude 'problems' were more talked about than Mantha's.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:03 PM
Grant McCagg

Gauthier played quite well in the last two games in the U-18, but was that enough to push him up ahead of de la Rose? Pre U-18 tournament TT liked de la Rose more than Gauthier without question..Gauthier did end up outplaying DLR in that tournament when it counted the most, but you cannot put too much stock into a couple of games though. I saw him three times live in the playoffs and he was pretty awful, and the reports from other scouts on Gauthier in his first few games at the U-18 were not flattering, to his credit he came on at the end, and I ended up ranking him ahead of DLR on my final list, but behind McCarron.

I figure at the end of the day it was either Burakowsky or Rychel..most likely Burakowsky. He was a top 15 talent..disappointing at the U-18 because he tried to do it all himself, but in his defence he didn't have a lot of skill playing with him.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote