HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III: "Hemsky Off The Market" - MacT Presser

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-14-2013, 10:25 AM
  #126
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,766
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I find it interesting that people are planning on Hemsky being dealt at the deadline. For that to happen you would need 1) Hemsky to have had a bounce back year, 2) Hemsky to be injury free, and 3) the Oilers clearly out of playoff contention.

I don't expect the Oilers to be in the playoffs this year but I would also be surprised if they had packed it in by the deadline. If Hemsky is producing and the Oilers are anywhere near a playoff spot I would expect we would see the same thing we saw last year and they will ride out the season with him. If he is not producing you probably only get a bag of pucks for the guy given his contract.

Hemsky should have been traded at the deadline in 2010 or at the very least 2011. I think that ship has now sailed.
Why can't he be dealt around x-mas when teams are looking at tweaking?

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-14-2013, 11:13 AM
  #127
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Why can't he be dealt around x-mas when teams are looking at tweaking?
He could be, but how often do you see that happen? And the same comments I made before apply. If the Oilers are doing well and he is contributing then my guess is that they would not move him. If he is playing poorly or hurt there is no market. So you really need the team to be pretty much giving up on the season and Hemsky be playing well to move him at Christmas for anything more than a bag of pucks.

The teams best opportunity to get something for him has past. If some team suffers a significant injury to a top 6 winger in the preseason, or if they really feel they need Hemsky's skills you might get another shot. But don't expect much in return since you are selling at a fraction on the dollar.

Fourier is online now  
Old
08-14-2013, 11:19 AM
  #128
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Up North
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,279
vCash: 4233
So out of all the players we let walk, only Khabby has found an NHL job? Not sure what kind of deal Peckham signed?

OilDrop37 is online now  
Old
08-14-2013, 11:21 AM
  #129
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,766
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
He could be, but how often do you see that happen? And the same comments I made before apply. If the Oilers are doing well and he is contributing then my guess is that they would not move him. If he is playing poorly or hurt there is no market. So you really need the team to be pretty much giving up on the season and Hemsky be playing well to move him at Christmas for anything more than a bag of pucks.

The teams best opportunity to get something for him has past. If some team suffers a significant injury to a top 6 winger in the preseason, or if they really feel they need Hemsky's skills you might get another shot. But don't expect much in return since you are selling at a fraction on the dollar.
It happens every year.

Why does Hemsky have to be either playing poorly or very well?You are making it sound like it's either one or the other.

Why can't it be he's playing decent, but we don't need him and have holes else where?

I also question why Hemsky's value is so much less than the past few years. The guy has the same question marks as he did before. The only thing that would really hurt is if we find out that the cap is going down for 14-15. He's been fraction on the dollar since 08-09.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-14-2013, 12:00 PM
  #130
Usual_Suspect
Registered User
 
Usual_Suspect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 3 hours South
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
So out of all the players we let walk, only Khabby has found an NHL job? Not sure what kind of deal Peckham signed?
http://www.capgeek.com/player/46

Peckham signed a 1 year $575k NHL, $200k AHL deal

Usual_Suspect is offline  
Old
08-14-2013, 12:01 PM
  #131
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,712
vCash: 500
Now that Peckham's not an Oiler anymore are we allowed to talk about...

MODEDIT: When have we ever allowed libel?


Last edited by Soli: 08-14-2013 at 12:21 PM.
The Perfect Human* is offline  
Old
08-14-2013, 12:21 PM
  #132
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Bozo Buddies
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
It happens every year.

Why does Hemsky have to be either playing poorly or very well?You are making it sound like it's either one or the other.

Why can't it be he's playing decent, but we don't need him and have holes else where?

I also question why Hemsky's value is so much less than the past few years. The guy has the same question marks as he did before. The only thing that would really hurt is if we find out that the cap is going down for 14-15. He's been fraction on the dollar since 08-09.
Well for one thing his cap hit has never been higher than this season and last and for two, his actual salary is a $5.5 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Now that Peckham's not an Oiler anymore are we allowed to talk about.....
Not on the open forum.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
08-14-2013, 12:50 PM
  #133
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,766
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Well for one thing his cap hit has never been higher than this season and last and for two, his actual salary is a $5.5 million.

Sure, but we can now take on part of his salary in trade, that and by x-mas half the year is gone. Hemsky at 2.5cap and 2.75mil salary shouldn't be hard to be moved.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-14-2013, 12:50 PM
  #134
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Now that Peckham's not an Oiler anymore are we allowed to talk about...

MODEDIT: When have we ever allowed libel?
What?

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
08-14-2013, 01:12 PM
  #135
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Bozo Buddies
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Sure, but we can now take on part of his salary in trade, that and by x-mas half the year is gone. Hemsky at 2.5cap and 2.75mil salary shouldn't be hard to be moved.
Yes, but I'm sure that we'd prefer dumping as much of his cap as possible. Who knows? Maybe teams aren't even biting if we do retain some of his cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
What?
His post was edited by a Mod, if you'd like to ask him about his post you could send him a PM.

Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
08-14-2013, 02:13 PM
  #136
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored
 
notloilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,657
vCash: 500
This is an 'I'm bored in August Hypothetical question'. Say we move Hemsky, and one of Eberle or Yakupov goes down in the season for a while, and Rajala comes up and looks solid as a 2nd line RW. In that circumstance, at the return of the injured party, would you consider trading one of Eberle or Yakupov if the return featured multiple pieces of QUALITY depth.

Deals Like Visnovsky for Stoll and Green, or Nash for Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon. In both of these cases, it made the teams who got multiple quality pieces in return, better.

notloilersfan is offline  
Old
08-14-2013, 02:16 PM
  #137
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,766
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
This is an 'I'm bored in August Hypothetical question'. Say we move Hemsky, and one of Eberle or Yakupov goes down in the season for a while, and Rajala comes up and looks solid as a 2nd line RW. In that circumstance, at the return of the injured party, would you consider trading one of Eberle or Yakupov if the return featured multiple pieces of QUALITY depth.

Deals Like Visnovsky for Stoll and Green, or Nash for Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon. In both of these cases, it made the teams who got multiple quality pieces in return, better.
No, trading all stars like Eberle and Yak simply because Robert Nilsson looked not bad is a horrid mistake.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-14-2013, 02:45 PM
  #138
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
This is an 'I'm bored in August Hypothetical question'. Say we move Hemsky, and one of Eberle or Yakupov goes down in the season for a while, and Rajala comes up and looks solid as a 2nd line RW. In that circumstance, at the return of the injured party, would you consider trading one of Eberle or Yakupov if the return featured multiple pieces of QUALITY depth.

Deals Like Visnovsky for Stoll and Green, or Nash for Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon. In both of these cases, it made the teams who got multiple quality pieces in return, better.
You can find handfuls of examples going the other way too. Generally, the team who ends up with the best player wins the trade.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
08-14-2013, 02:49 PM
  #139
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
This is an 'I'm bored in August Hypothetical question'. Say we move Hemsky, and one of Eberle or Yakupov goes down in the season for a while, and Rajala comes up and looks solid as a 2nd line RW. In that circumstance, at the return of the injured party, would you consider trading one of Eberle or Yakupov if the return featured multiple pieces of QUALITY depth.

Deals Like Visnovsky for Stoll and Green, or Nash for Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon. In both of these cases, it made the teams who got multiple quality pieces in return, better.
Or we could just trade Rajala and keep the better players. The Oilers need quality right now, not more Ales Hemskys and Nick Schultzes.

Trafalgar Law is offline  
Old
08-14-2013, 03:03 PM
  #140
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,410
vCash: 500
@dantencer

Quick hitter: Craig MacTavish tells me after news conference that it's "fair to say" that this is the roster at training camp

Powder is offline  
Old
08-14-2013, 03:26 PM
  #141
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,766
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
@dantencer

Quick hitter: Craig MacTavish tells me after news conference that it's "fair to say" that this is the roster at training camp
I wonder if that goon or whatever they talked about comes via waivers, AKA Steve Macintyre.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-14-2013, 03:45 PM
  #142
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,712
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I wonder if that goon or whatever they talked about comes via waivers, AKA Steve Macintyre.
There aren't many that interest me, and I highly doubt those guys will be on waivers, so I hope not

The Nuge is online now  
Old
08-14-2013, 03:57 PM
  #143
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 26,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
This is an 'I'm bored in August Hypothetical question'. Say we move Hemsky, and one of Eberle or Yakupov goes down in the season for a while, and Rajala comes up and looks solid as a 2nd line RW. In that circumstance, at the return of the injured party, would you consider trading one of Eberle or Yakupov if the return featured multiple pieces of QUALITY depth.

Deals Like Visnovsky for Stoll and Green, or Nash for Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon. In both of these cases, it made the teams who got multiple quality pieces in return, better.
I really don't buy that the Visnovsky trade was really all that great for the Kings.

Stoll was redundant in some ways, especially since they would get Carter and Richards, and he's damaged goods.

Green is massively overrated and has the hockey IQ of a brick.

Visnovsky + Doughty on the Kings would be lights out. The Kings got better because of the natural development of their core pieces -- Kopitar, Doughty, the emergence of Quick, etc.

Soundwave is online now  
Old
08-14-2013, 04:02 PM
  #144
DJ EarWax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 170
vCash: 500
Has Ryan Whitney signed yet? Has there been any interest?

DJ EarWax is offline  
Old
08-14-2013, 04:24 PM
  #145
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,766
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I really don't buy that the Visnovsky trade was really all that great for the Kings.

Stoll was redundant in some ways, especially since they would get Carter and Richards, and he's damaged goods.

Green is massively overrated and has the hockey IQ of a brick.

Visnovsky + Doughty on the Kings would be lights out. The Kings got better because of the natural development of their core pieces -- Kopitar, Doughty, the emergence of Quick, etc.
That was also a money deal. Lubo was going to be starting a 5.6 cap with 7mil salaries. LA was very much so moved because of his contract than anything.

LA just happened to end up getting a center that rebounded for them and a d-man that hadn't played his best hockey yet. Deals don't always work out so great.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-14-2013, 04:30 PM
  #146
OilerNut*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,959
vCash: 500
Think all the GMs are on summer vacation until September.

OilerNut* is offline  
Old
08-14-2013, 04:33 PM
  #147
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ EarWax View Post
Has Ryan Whitney signed yet? Has there been any interest?
Haven't seen anything even mentioning Whitney.

You could almost put together an entire D core of Edmonton rejects from UFA right now haha.

Whitney, Gilbert, Fistric, Foster, Barker.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
08-14-2013, 04:38 PM
  #148
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Up North
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,279
vCash: 4233
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Haven't seen anything even mentioning Whitney.

You could almost put together an entire D core of Edmonton rejects from UFA right now haha.

Whitney, Gilbert, Fistric, Foster, Barker.
I'm kind of surprised that Fistric hasn't caught on anywhere yet.

OilDrop37 is online now  
Old
08-14-2013, 04:43 PM
  #149
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,766
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Haven't seen anything even mentioning Whitney.

You could almost put together an entire D core of Edmonton rejects from UFA right now haha.

Whitney, Gilbert, Fistric, Foster, Barker.
I could've sworn Foster signed in europe.

Only guys that are a bit shocking are Gilbert and Fistric to me. I would've thought Fistric would've gotten a #7 or #8 role somewhere by now, but then again he was asking for 3 years before the off-season from the Oil so he might've pooched himself. As for Gilbert, I keep hearing there are a ton of stats guys working for teams now. Considering how much hype there was on him on lowetide's show from the stats guys I would've thought someone would've moneyballed him by now.

Whitney seems to be a PTO type guy to me.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-14-2013, 04:48 PM
  #150
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,651
vCash: 500
Petrell signed in swiss league I guess...

awesomo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.