HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III: "Hemsky Off The Market" - MacT Presser

Closed Thread

Old
08-14-2013, 10:25 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I find it interesting that people are planning on Hemsky being dealt at the deadline. For that to happen you would need 1) Hemsky to have had a bounce back year, 2) Hemsky to be injury free, and 3) the Oilers clearly out of playoff contention.

I don't expect the Oilers to be in the playoffs this year but I would also be surprised if they had packed it in by the deadline. If Hemsky is producing and the Oilers are anywhere near a playoff spot I would expect we would see the same thing we saw last year and they will ride out the season with him. If he is not producing you probably only get a bag of pucks for the guy given his contract.

Hemsky should have been traded at the deadline in 2010 or at the very least 2011. I think that ship has now sailed.
Why can't he be dealt around x-mas when teams are looking at tweaking?

Old
08-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Why can't he be dealt around x-mas when teams are looking at tweaking?
He could be, but how often do you see that happen? And the same comments I made before apply. If the Oilers are doing well and he is contributing then my guess is that they would not move him. If he is playing poorly or hurt there is no market. So you really need the team to be pretty much giving up on the season and Hemsky be playing well to move him at Christmas for anything more than a bag of pucks.

The teams best opportunity to get something for him has past. If some team suffers a significant injury to a top 6 winger in the preseason, or if they really feel they need Hemsky's skills you might get another shot. But don't expect much in return since you are selling at a fraction on the dollar.

Old
08-14-2013, 11:19 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 4233
So out of all the players we let walk, only Khabby has found an NHL job? Not sure what kind of deal Peckham signed?

Old
08-14-2013, 11:21 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
He could be, but how often do you see that happen? And the same comments I made before apply. If the Oilers are doing well and he is contributing then my guess is that they would not move him. If he is playing poorly or hurt there is no market. So you really need the team to be pretty much giving up on the season and Hemsky be playing well to move him at Christmas for anything more than a bag of pucks.

The teams best opportunity to get something for him has past. If some team suffers a significant injury to a top 6 winger in the preseason, or if they really feel they need Hemsky's skills you might get another shot. But don't expect much in return since you are selling at a fraction on the dollar.
It happens every year.

Why does Hemsky have to be either playing poorly or very well?You are making it sound like it's either one or the other.

Why can't it be he's playing decent, but we don't need him and have holes else where?

I also question why Hemsky's value is so much less than the past few years. The guy has the same question marks as he did before. The only thing that would really hurt is if we find out that the cap is going down for 14-15. He's been fraction on the dollar since 08-09.

Old
08-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
So out of all the players we let walk, only Khabby has found an NHL job? Not sure what kind of deal Peckham signed?
http://www.capgeek.com/player/46

Peckham signed a 1 year $575k NHL, $200k AHL deal

Old
08-14-2013, 12:01 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Now that Peckham's not an Oiler anymore are we allowed to talk about...

MODEDIT: When have we ever allowed libel?

Last edited by Soli: 08-14-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old
08-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
It happens every year.

Why does Hemsky have to be either playing poorly or very well?You are making it sound like it's either one or the other.

Why can't it be he's playing decent, but we don't need him and have holes else where?

I also question why Hemsky's value is so much less than the past few years. The guy has the same question marks as he did before. The only thing that would really hurt is if we find out that the cap is going down for 14-15. He's been fraction on the dollar since 08-09.
Well for one thing his cap hit has never been higher than this season and last and for two, his actual salary is a $5.5 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Now that Peckham's not an Oiler anymore are we allowed to talk about.....
Not on the open forum.

08-14-2013, 12:50 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Well for one thing his cap hit has never been higher than this season and last and for two, his actual salary is a $5.5 million.

Sure, but we can now take on part of his salary in trade, that and by x-mas half the year is gone. Hemsky at 2.5cap and 2.75mil salary shouldn't be hard to be moved.

Old
08-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Now that Peckham's not an Oiler anymore are we allowed to talk about...

MODEDIT: When have we ever allowed libel?
What?

Old
08-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Sure, but we can now take on part of his salary in trade, that and by x-mas half the year is gone. Hemsky at 2.5cap and 2.75mil salary shouldn't be hard to be moved.
Yes, but I'm sure that we'd prefer dumping as much of his cap as possible. Who knows? Maybe teams aren't even biting if we do retain some of his cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
What?
His post was edited by a Mod, if you'd like to ask him about his post you could send him a PM.

Old
08-14-2013, 02:13 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

This is an 'I'm bored in August Hypothetical question'. Say we move Hemsky, and one of Eberle or Yakupov goes down in the season for a while, and Rajala comes up and looks solid as a 2nd line RW. In that circumstance, at the return of the injured party, would you consider trading one of Eberle or Yakupov if the return featured multiple pieces of QUALITY depth.

Deals Like Visnovsky for Stoll and Green, or Nash for Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon. In both of these cases, it made the teams who got multiple quality pieces in return, better.

Old
08-14-2013, 02:16 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
This is an 'I'm bored in August Hypothetical question'. Say we move Hemsky, and one of Eberle or Yakupov goes down in the season for a while, and Rajala comes up and looks solid as a 2nd line RW. In that circumstance, at the return of the injured party, would you consider trading one of Eberle or Yakupov if the return featured multiple pieces of QUALITY depth.

Deals Like Visnovsky for Stoll and Green, or Nash for Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon. In both of these cases, it made the teams who got multiple quality pieces in return, better.
No, trading all stars like Eberle and Yak simply because Robert Nilsson looked not bad is a horrid mistake.

Old
08-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:

You can find handfuls of examples going the other way too. Generally, the team who ends up with the best player wins the trade.

Old
08-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:

Or we could just trade Rajala and keep the better players. The Oilers need quality right now, not more Ales Hemskys and Nick Schultzes.

Old
08-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

@dantencer

Quick hitter: Craig MacTavish tells me after news conference that it's "fair to say" that this is the roster at training camp

Old
08-14-2013, 03:26 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
@dantencer

Quick hitter: Craig MacTavish tells me after news conference that it's "fair to say" that this is the roster at training camp
I wonder if that goon or whatever they talked about comes via waivers, AKA Steve Macintyre.

Old
08-14-2013, 03:45 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
I wonder if that goon or whatever they talked about comes via waivers, AKA Steve Macintyre.
There aren't many that interest me, and I highly doubt those guys will be on waivers, so I hope not

Old
08-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Soundwave

Quote:

I really don't buy that the Visnovsky trade was really all that great for the Kings.

Stoll was redundant in some ways, especially since they would get Carter and Richards, and he's damaged goods.

Green is massively overrated and has the hockey IQ of a brick.

Visnovsky + Doughty on the Kings would be lights out. The Kings got better because of the natural development of their core pieces -- Kopitar, Doughty, the emergence of Quick, etc.

Old
08-14-2013, 04:02 PM
DJ EarWax

Has Ryan Whitney signed yet? Has there been any interest?

Old
08-14-2013, 04:24 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I really don't buy that the Visnovsky trade was really all that great for the Kings.

Stoll was redundant in some ways, especially since they would get Carter and Richards, and he's damaged goods.

Green is massively overrated and has the hockey IQ of a brick.

Visnovsky + Doughty on the Kings would be lights out. The Kings got better because of the natural development of their core pieces -- Kopitar, Doughty, the emergence of Quick, etc.
That was also a money deal. Lubo was going to be starting a 5.6 cap with 7mil salaries. LA was very much so moved because of his contract than anything.

LA just happened to end up getting a center that rebounded for them and a d-man that hadn't played his best hockey yet. Deals don't always work out so great.

Old
08-14-2013, 04:30 PM
OilerNut*

Think all the GMs are on summer vacation until September.

Old
08-14-2013, 04:33 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ EarWax View Post
Has Ryan Whitney signed yet? Has there been any interest?
Haven't seen anything even mentioning Whitney.

You could almost put together an entire D core of Edmonton rejects from UFA right now haha.

Whitney, Gilbert, Fistric, Foster, Barker.

Old
08-14-2013, 04:38 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 4233
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post

You could almost put together an entire D core of Edmonton rejects from UFA right now haha.

I'm kind of surprised that Fistric hasn't caught on anywhere yet.

Old
08-14-2013, 04:43 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post

I could've sworn Foster signed in europe.

Only guys that are a bit shocking are Gilbert and Fistric to me. I would've thought Fistric would've gotten a #7 or #8 role somewhere by now, but then again he was asking for 3 years before the off-season from the Oil so he might've pooched himself. As for Gilbert, I keep hearing there are a ton of stats guys working for teams now. Considering how much hype there was on him on lowetide's show from the stats guys I would've thought someone would've moneyballed him by now.

Whitney seems to be a PTO type guy to me.

Old
08-14-2013, 04:48 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Petrell signed in swiss league I guess...

Closed Thread