HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

How Improved Are The Oilers.

View Poll Results: How improved are we?
Enough to make the playoffs 57 16.62%
Enough to make us compete for the final spot 184 53.64%
Only Enough to move up a spot or two 80 23.32%
We did not improve 22 6.41%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-14-2013, 09:47 AM
  #1
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored
 
notloilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,399
vCash: 500
How Improved Are The Oilers.

When we really break it down, it was a pretty aggressive off-season for Mac-T, and he probably did more in one summer than Tambo did during the entire rebuild. With these additions, how improved are we?

We bumped down N. Schultz and added a legit 2nd pairing veteran d-man. Ference is not another experiment. He will do great filling the void until Klefbom/Nurse are ready.

We have real competition in our bottom pairing. Belov, Grebshkov, N. Schultz, Larsen, Klefbom is way better competition than a broken whitney, potter or barker.

We went out and got a legit top 6 forward who can play with some grit, and help with our possession game.

We got a 3rd line C that this team needed more than Horcoff. Better on faceoffs, tougher to play against, and great at getting the puck out of the defensive zone.

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:00 AM
  #2
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
When we really break it down, it was a pretty aggressive off-season for Mac-T, and he probably did more in one summer than Tambo did during the entire rebuild. With these additions, how improved are we?

We bumped down N. Schultz and added a legit 2nd pairing veteran d-man. Ference is not another experiment. He will do great filling the void until Klefbom/Nurse are ready.

We have real competition in our bottom pairing. Belov, Grebshkov, N. Schultz, Larsen, Klefbom is way better competition than a broken whitney, potter or barker.

We went out and got a legit top 6 forward who can play with some grit, and help with our possession game.

We got a 3rd line C that this team needed more than Horcoff. Better on faceoffs, tougher to play against, and great at getting the puck out of the defensive zone.
We didnt bump Nick down. We replaced Whitney with Ference.. Hopefully none of our other 3 Dmen have a Whitney like season next year.

Players like Potter\Barker were unknowns for us when we added them to our roster a couple years ago. Hoping for the best but the unknown Dmen we have added for bottom pairing might not be much better.

Calling Perron gritty is like calling Yakupov gritty. We really did not address the size issue in top 6.


We replaced Paajaarvi with Perron, Whitney with Ference, Khabi with Labarbabra and Horcoff with Gordon.
Peckham + Fistric for Belov + Grebeshkov.

I have us fighting for the playoffs in March but missing it by ~5 pts in the end.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:14 AM
  #3
Lacaar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,300
vCash: 500
Last year I though if Whitney could return to form we had a shot.

He didn't. Our shot went like my golf shot. Straight for a bit then hooks rights and goes into the next fairway.

This year I'll place my hopes on RNH becoming a truly impactful player.

If he comes back and can get near a ppg we should make a run. If he's delayed in his comeback or takes too long to adjust. We're screwed.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:15 AM
  #4
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it
 
Neilio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
We didnt bump Nick down. We replaced Whitney with Ference.. Hopefully none of our other 3 Dmen have a Whitney like season next year.

Players like Potter\Barker were unknowns for us when we added them to our roster a couple years ago. Hoping for the best but the unknown Dmen we have added for bottom pairing might not be much better.

Calling Perron gritty is like calling Yakupov gritty. We really did not address the size issue in top 6.


We replaced Paajaarvi with Perron, Whitney with Ference, Khabi with Labarbabra and Horcoff with Gordon.
Peckham + Fistric for Belov + Grebeshkov.

I have us fighting for the playoffs in March but missing it by ~5 pts in the end.
That's fair. The only caveat I would have is that the coach is different. Our power play is going to be dynamite. Our PK had been pretty respectable. But its the 5v5 system that really sunk us last season. If Eakins can get that to even a league average level, we should be much improved.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:15 AM
  #5
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Up North
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,858
vCash: 50
Belov and Grebs are this years experiments as Potter and Barker were a couple years ago. In order for this team to fight for a playoff spot, J.Schultz needs to be able to handle top 4 minutes and one of the other scraps needs to become a legit top 6 guy to pair with Nick and/or Klefbom shows he's ready.

OilDrop37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:15 AM
  #6
Yak City
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 252
vCash: 500
I'd argue that the Belov/Grebeshkov/Larsen collective is Whitney's replacement. Ference wasn't brought in to be a 3rd pairing powerplay specialist (which is what we were using Whitney as last season) - I absolutely believe that he'll be bumping N. Schultz back to the 3rd pairing, where he's actually effective.

I think that Ference and Perron will make a bigger difference than expected.

For the first time in a while, we have a top six entirely full of top six players - no rookies this year, no "well maybe he can play 2nd line...", no "well he's effective when he's not injured".

J. Schultz is the only question mark in our top 4 now - and I don't think that's a bad problem to have. He produced extraordinarily well last year for a rookie defenseman drowning in the amount of minutes he was thrown at the start of the year. I think it's easy to forget that J. Schultz probably played something like 2-3 times more hockey last season than he had before - it's got to be tough going from a NCAA schedule to playing 25+ minutes a night in the AHL to playing top-4 minutes in the NHL.

Yak City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:24 AM
  #7
Oilception
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Albert
Country: Canada
Posts: 725
vCash: 50
top 6- Improved (Perron>Paajarvi)
Defence Improved (Ference> Whitney, and hopefully at least one of Belov, Grebeshkov, Larsen come in and do well)
Coach- I think improved wasnt a fan of Krueger, and have high hopes

Bottom 6 is different and hopefully better, Gordon was an excellent pick up, and the culture change of losing Horcoff I hope helps, Smyth should be on the 4th line which is nice.

Goalies are a wash but Hopefully Dubnyk has more confidence and improves from last year (which i dont believe is unreasonable for some progression)

And we are a young team, none of the core has peaked and hopefully everyone improves and we dont have sophmore slumps

I think we make the play-offs, will be upset if we dont, and anything short of being right in the thick of things at the end of the season will be a disappointment in my mind.

Oilception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:38 AM
  #8
CupofOil
Fire Lowe
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,237
vCash: 500
I think the defense will be improved and a lot of that has to do with Ference being added and knocking Nick Schultz down to the bottom pairing where he should be a lot more comfortable with less responsibility. The Schultz pairing destroyed this team last season, just awful in the second half of the season due to being overplayed. Pairing Ference with J. Schultz should also give him a better D partner to feed off of.
The depth is also better (at least potentially) with the additions of Belov, Grebeshkov and Larsen. At least we won't see any more of Peckham, Teubert (or whichever AHL tweener) and Potter (hopefully) on the bottom pairing so that in itself should be an improvement.
Perron is an upgrade over Paajarvi. Otherwise, the forward group is pretty much the same one that ended last season. Not tough enough, not deep enough and big on skill in the top 6 but lacking with 2 way play.

I might be in the minority with this but i think that Eakins is the biggest key to team improvement.
I think this roster has been misused and underutilized under Renney and Krueger, it just seems like the players weren't buying what they were selling and thus looked like a mess on ice on most nights basically getting wins on pure talent moreso than anything else the last few seasons.
If Eakins can bring some structure to their game and have them buy into a particular system, i think that this team could take off pretty quickly and jump into a playoff spot. The talent level (even though there are still glaring holes on the roster) is higher than it's been since the Cup run. It's time for the results to start showing and i think having the right coach to harness this talent and convert them from talented potential into legit NHLers would be huge for this group because lets be honest, as good as The Big 5 are, they are still mostly potential with glaring holes in their game with the possible exception of Hall.

As far as the players go, the 3 biggest keys to the team will be RNH, Dubnyk and J. Schultz. As long as the rest of the players play reasonably close to their talent level, the team will make the playoffs as long as those 3 take steps forward.
RNH and Dubnyk in particular are the biggest keys to the Oilers success next season, the team will either sink or swim based on the performance of those two IMO.
You can talk about weak bottom 6, lack of a true top pairing Dman etc. but if the #1C and the goalie don't play up to par, the team won't succeed and if they do, the team will.
The fact that the fate of the team depend on a rookie coach, a hobbled RNH and a relatively unproven Dubnyk doesn't inspire me with a ton of confidence that they will make the playoffs this season but the potential is there obviously.


Last edited by CupofOil: 08-14-2013 at 10:57 AM.
CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:57 AM
  #9
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I might be in the minority with this but i think that Eakins is the biggest key.
I think this roster has been misused and underutilized under Renney and Krueger, it just seems like the players weren't buying what they were selling and thus looked like a mess on ice on most nights basically getting wins on pure talent moreso than anything else the last few seasons.
If Eakins can bring some structure to their game and have them buy into a particular system, i think that this team could take off pretty quickly and jump into a playoff spot. The talent level (even though there are still glaring holes on the roster) is higher than it's been since the Cup run. It's time for the results to start showing and i think having the right coach to harness this talent and convert them from talented potential into legit NHLers would be huge for this group because lets be honest, as good as The Big 5 are, they are still mostly potential with glaring holes in their game with the possible exception of Hall.

As far as the players go, the 3 biggest keys to the team will be RNH, Dubnyk and J. Schultz. As long as the rest of the players play reasonably close to their talent level, the team will make the playoffs as long as those 3 take steps forward.
RNH and Dubnyk in particular are the biggest keys to the Oilers success next season, the team will either sink or swim based on the performance of those two IMO.
You can talk about weak bottom 6, lack of a true top pairing Dman etc. but if the #1C and the goalie don't play up to par, the team won't succeed and if they do, the team will.
The fact that the fate of the team depend on a rookie coach, a hobbled RNH and a relatively unproven Dubnyk doesn't inspire me with a ton of confidence that they will make the playoffs this season but the potential is there obviously.
this

the fact we don't have Krueger...who was in WAAAAY over his head..and replaced him with a competent head coach (along with another assistant Keith Acton) will do wonders for this squad

Ference is an upgrade
Perron is an upgrade
add in the core being another year older

this is an improved club...probably not enough to make the playoffs but should compete for one

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:01 AM
  #10
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,092
vCash: 50
I think we will just miss the playoffs this year. We still need some major changes in the lineup.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:07 AM
  #11
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,419
vCash: 50
Well the Oilers were 12th in the West last season and this year I think they'll be 11th so that's an improvement of 1 spot. Of course there's 1 less team in the West now as well... so technically they may "improve" slightly but I don't see anything more than marginal improvements in their lineup this year over what they had last season.

Of course the game is played on the ice and not on paper so we have to wait and see how Eakins performs as a head coach at the NHL level, and how the chemistry of the team changes (for better or worse) after all these changes have been made to the roster.

As a fan I'm always hopeful that they can make the playoffs but realistically I just can't see this team beating out 6 other teams in the West and getting into the 2nd season with this current roster... still too many weaknesses and mediocrity in too many areas of the roster.


Last edited by nexttothemoon: 08-14-2013 at 05:14 PM.
nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:08 AM
  #12
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,588
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak City View Post

For the first time in a while, we have a top six entirely full of top six players - no rookies this year, no "well maybe he can play 2nd line...", no "well he's effective when he's not injured".
Seriously. When was the last time that all of our top six forwards were legit top six forwards? I'll argue that we didn't have 6 top six forwards when we went to the finals last time around.

Our blueline has to be better. Whitney was one of the worst skaters in the NHL last year. When the puck went into the corners he probably had a 25% chance to retrieve it. His turns were so god awful that I can't even think of an analogy to describe it.

Ference will be so much better than Nick Schultz on the second pairing and Belov and Nick Scultz will be way better than the crap we were running with on the third pairing last year. Never liked Corey Potter and Fistric didn't seem effective in enough areas of hockey to be able to last.

The only thing I'm worried about is our depth at center. Not convinced our 4th line center is going to be worth his weight in pucks this year. Other than that, we've got a pretty good looking roster.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:09 AM
  #13
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,916
vCash: 500
Clearly not, I mean they didn't trade to #27 and draft Fucale, that right there...will set the franchise back decades, obviously.

On a sane note, they are improved enough to battle for the playoffs, though it will remain to be seen whether this is the case or not.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:18 AM
  #14
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I think the defense will be improved and a lot of that has to do with Ference being added and knocking Nick Schultz down to the bottom pairing where he should be a lot more comfortable with less responsibility. The Schultz pairing destroyed this team last season, just awful in the second half of the season due to being overplayed. Pairing Ference with J. Schultz should also give him a better D partner to feed off of.
The depth is also better (at least potentially) with the additions of Belov, Grebeshkov and Larsen. At least we won't see any more of Peckham, Teubert (or whichever AHL tweener) and Potter (hopefully) on the bottom pairing so that in itself should be an improvement.
Perron is an upgrade over Paajarvi. Otherwise, the forward group is pretty much the same one that ended last season. Not tough enough, not deep enough and big on skill in the top 6 but lacking with 2 way play.

I might be in the minority with this but i think that Eakins is the biggest key to team improvement.
I think this roster has been misused and underutilized under Renney and Krueger, it just seems like the players weren't buying what they were selling and thus looked like a mess on ice on most nights basically getting wins on pure talent moreso than anything else the last few seasons.
If Eakins can bring some structure to their game and have them buy into a particular system, i think that this team could take off pretty quickly and jump into a playoff spot. The talent level (even though there are still glaring holes on the roster) is higher than it's been since the Cup run. It's time for the results to start showing and i think having the right coach to harness this talent and convert them from talented potential into legit NHLers would be huge for this group because lets be honest, as good as The Big 5 are, they are still mostly potential with glaring holes in their game with the possible exception of Hall.

As far as the players go, the 3 biggest keys to the team will be RNH, Dubnyk and J. Schultz. As long as the rest of the players play reasonably close to their talent level, the team will make the playoffs as long as those 3 take steps forward.
RNH and Dubnyk in particular are the biggest keys to the Oilers success next season, the team will either sink or swim based on the performance of those two IMO.
You can talk about weak bottom 6, lack of a true top pairing Dman etc. but if the #1C and the goalie don't play up to par, the team won't succeed and if they do, the team will.
The fact that the fate of the team depend on a rookie coach, a hobbled RNH and a relatively unproven Dubnyk doesn't inspire me with a ton of confidence that they will make the playoffs this season but the potential is there obviously.
Agreed. The key is whether they buy into what Eakins is telling them, The certainly didn't look like they bought into anything last year. If they continue to buck and kick and try to do it their way, it will be a long season.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:36 AM
  #15
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,480
vCash: 500
I agree with CupofOil.

RNH is the biggest factor,followed by Schultz & Dubnyk.

Our D was atrocious last year and systems play was weak, especially 5-on-5.

Eakins will make a big difference and the kids will be another year older.

Only real concern other than the usual top #1 d-man is getting a better bottom 6.

dustrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:39 AM
  #16
Aerchon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,009
vCash: 500
With our talent a lot of people have projected the Oilers to "break out" and do better than they have for years now.

I seem to be one full year back with all my projections. Last year I picked them to compete for a playoff spot but not make it. They didn't really accomplish that.

I did have them picked to make the playoffs this year as part of the rebuild. So this year instead of picking them to make the playoffs Ill just say compete for a spot and hopefully they can prove me wrong in a good way this year.

I think the Oilers roster this year is truly a possible playoff team. I do not think if they miss the playoffs by a wide margin that it is a player problem. Their success from here on in will be dictated by coaching more than anything else.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:56 AM
  #17
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,169
vCash: 500
You can only add so many depth players, ultimately, the team is going to go as far as Hall, Yakupov, RNH, Schultz and Eberle take it.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 12:26 PM
  #18
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,654
vCash: 177
competing for the wild card?

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 12:38 PM
  #19
shogun99
Registered User
 
shogun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,210
vCash: 500
I was never a fan of the Kruger hiring, thought he wasn't the right coach for the team. He ended up being a horrible coach. Some of his "decisions" and system play dragged this team out of a playoff spot. I really think that last years team could have been a playoff team with proper decisions by the coaching staff. How many leads did we blow sitting back for 2 periods trying to hold on?

shogun99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 12:40 PM
  #20
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
You can only add so many depth players, ultimately, the team is going to go as far as Hall, Yakupov, RNH, Schultz and Eberle take it.
Kinda this, kinda the same as the past few years. Depending what steps the kids make over the summer is ultimately where this team ends up.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 12:41 PM
  #21
hallsyoilerforever
Registered User
 
hallsyoilerforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,390
vCash: 500
I see the oilers fighting and making it close for the playoffs. Like many have said, I also believe Eakins is the key for the team's improvement.

hallsyoilerforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 12:59 PM
  #22
Hall2Nuge2Ebs
Registered User
 
Hall2Nuge2Ebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 50
In order for this team to make the playoffs all of the kids have to play out of their minds because we won't be getting any production from our bottom six. Defense has to be better (specifically the bottom pairing which won't be too hard of a task). Also, Dubnyk has to be able to steal a few games for us. If you don't have a goalie who can steal some games for you then you won't make it very far once you do make the playoffs. One more thing...Coaching has to be a lot better. I'm talking playing Yakupov instead of Smyth in overtime. And I still can't believe some of you defended Kreuger for making that decision (Smyth over Yakupov in OT)

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 01:02 PM
  #23
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored
 
notloilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,399
vCash: 500
I agree with most that Eakins is a huge addition. I also like the point that we have a legit top 6 filled with top 6 guys, none of which are rookies.

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 01:58 PM
  #24
Starbuds
You like muscles?
 
Starbuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,963
vCash: 500
Last season.

Top 10 PP and PK.

Bottom 10 5v5.

PP (3rd) and PK (14th) the year prior. Eakins' foremost focus needs to be 5v5.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 02:00 PM
  #25
hawks889
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Edmonton, Alberta,
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
I dont think the oilers have improved much, the added size and grit, which mctavish wanted wasnt accomplished, There bottom 2 lines are still a huge question mark, The center position with RNH still on the injuried list is still troubling. Goaltending is the same, Laberbara is a non descript backup, once again i see the oilers on the outside of the playoffs race, and another season of golf for the oilers in early april.

hawks889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.