HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Ratner chosen to redevelop Nassau Coliseum site

Old
08-14-2013, 11:14 AM
beLIever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedregast View Post
My feeling as well.
Mine too. The county hasn't done anything for the Islanders and Islander fans since the last Stanley Cup parade in 1983.

beLIever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
No, the guy with several hundred million who said developing just an arena alone would not make money LEFT and the two billionaires politely disagreed and look forward to a chance to make money on the same site.

I wouldn't one hundred percent rule out a return in the future {maybe 98 percent}......remember, tv cameras will show the empty side of the building a few dozen times a night every hone game for years and visiting announcers will have to talk about the horse shoe each night at least once.
Maybe they can blame it on anthrax or leprosy scares and not bad construction, just to make it interesting.
If Barclays can't fix that, then NYC will do something to keep the Isles within its limits. Sure Barclays won't be as good as the Coliseum for viewing hockey, but it sure will make a hell a lot more $$$.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 05:41 PM
RichOnTheLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
(Jones Beach sucks)
Whoa! I disagree with you big time there! In my opinion there isn't another venue in the country that's as unique as Jones Beach is!

However, I do agree with everything else you mentioned in your post.

RichOnTheLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichOnTheLI View Post
Whoa! I disagree with you big time there! In my opinion there isn't another venue in the country that's as unique as Jones Beach is!

However, I do agree with everything else you mentioned in your post.
Dude go to Red Rocks and then talk to me about amphitheaters

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 02:45 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
If Barclays can't fix that, then NYC will do something to keep the Isles within its limits. Sure Barclays won't be as good as the Coliseum for viewing hockey, but it sure will make a hell a lot more $$$.
and I don't care if the Wanger is promising oral favors for cash to eat. I don't care about the money. The team survives in the Coliseum or a new arena wherever or it thrives in Brooklyn....well, I'll take surviving if it means the game experience is better than the behind the net graveyard section.

Doesn't matter....the team just has to win. I don't have to set foot in the friggen horseshoe. I feel bad for those that have to make the commute from eastern LI, though. Tomorrow a new arena is to be built for someone who knows what the hell it takes to win in business and not face criminal charges. A beautiful new arena for under $300M will go up paid for by the developer who in both cases believes IT WILL MAKE THEM MONEY even after they cut the County a share.

We got millionaire Wang and a horse shoe. Yay. The billionaire who wins gets a smaller arena, pays for the entire thing and will make money on the deal Wanger, whom invented the Yashin and DP contracts and kept Milbury til Milbury quit, refused to budge on because he didn't think it would make a cent.....which many agreed with but Ratner and Dolan obviusly scoff at.

I hope Ratner wins......and the MINUTE chance he wants to buy NYI is a factor.....so the team stays where it won four Cups. I bet Dolan wins and the Baby Blueskirts will replace Bossy and Trottier and Potvin.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 06:45 AM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

The team is going to Brooklyn and it's the best thing to happen for the franchise in a while.

People need to get over this.

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 07:25 AM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseTintedVisor View Post
The team is going to Brooklyn and it's the best thing to happen for the franchise in a while.

People need to get over this.
Or maybe it's that people need to admit that this team is getting hosed further by settling for a non NHL arena, with less seats, worse sightlines, that will raise prices, be in the middle of solid ranger territory and be less accessible to those of us who have supported for over 40 yrs.... So it is highly debatable that this is the best thing.. A good thing would have been a brand new arena in Nassau or queens.. People who supported have a right to be upset that ownership screwed this royally.. So maybe u need to get over it and show tolerance.. Oh and look others are jumping at the chance to build something there with the same politicians. I dont believe for one minute that quality ownership would not have gotten something done

Last edited by 19 in a row: 08-15-2013 at 07:31 AM.
19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 07:31 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
Or maybe its that people need to admit that this team is getting hosed further by settling for a non NHL arena, with less seats, worse sightlines, that will raise prices, and be less accessible to those of us who have supported for over 40 yrs.... So it is highly debatable that this is a good thing.. A good thing would have been a brand new arena in Nassau or queens.. People who supported have a right to be upset that ownership screwed this royally.. So maybe u need to get over it and show tolerance.. Oh and look others are jumping at the chance to build something there with the same politicians I dont believe for one minute that quality ownership could have gotten something done
OK, I'll bite. What happens after we admit to what you pointed out in your post? What's the recourse? Oh wait, there isn't any. I think that's what Rose Tinted Visor is getting at. The team is moving to Brooklyn warts and all (presuming there are any. I'm waiting for at least the 9/21 game to assess the situation). We just have to deal with it. Whining and crying isn't going to remedy the situation (not saying that you're doing that, but others definitely are). It wasn't going to be a perfect situation if they stayed in Nassau anyway, so let's be thankful that we still have our team to root for for the next 25 years.

Either that or, well you know, stop following the team. It's really a simple choice.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 07:42 AM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
OK, I'll bite. What happens after we admit to what you pointed out in your post? What's the recourse? Oh wait, there isn't any. I think that's what Rose Tinted Visor is getting at. The team is moving to Brooklyn warts and all (presuming there are any. I'm waiting for at least the 9/21 game to assess the situation). We just have to deal with it. Whining and crying isn't going to remedy the situation (not saying that you're doing that, but others definitely are). It wasn't going to be a perfect situation if they stayed in Nassau anyway, so let's be thankful that we still have our team to root for for the next 25 years.

Either that or, well you know, stop following the team. It's really a simple choice.
When you move into a new situation, there shouldn't be warts.

MJF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 08:03 AM
19 in a row

Quote:

Just voicing my opinion in the place where it should be voiced, the Islander threads. Maybe more focus should be directed at those who continue to insult Nassau and the people here w impunity.. We have every right to be disappointed. Accountability lies with ownership and ownership alone for any franchise... Since our prior owner pocketed the cable money and abandoned the team right after the cups ownership has ruined this team. And now that Snow has finally given us hope they are leaving. People are entitled to vent in a thread for our team without being told to stop just as those who are happy have a right to say so as well.

Old
08-15-2013, 08:06 AM
19 in a row

And no one is whining or crying, just trying to have an adult discussion. I find it more immature the name calling and telling people to shut up or stop following.

Old
08-15-2013, 08:12 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
And no one is whining or crying, just trying to have an adult discussion. I find it more immature the name calling and telling people to shut up or stop following.
Or telling people that we "need to admit" that we're victims of Charles Wang.

This is a discussion that's so adult that there should be a warning to minors that reading it is likely to have effects not unlike eating lead paint.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 08:15 AM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
+1 I might add The Woods or SPAC. Jones Beach's biggest problem? It's located in the land of no.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 08:42 AM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post

This is a discussion that's so adult that there should be a warning to minors that reading it is likely to have effects not unlike eating lead paint.
Context.. That was in response to being told to get over it so I hope you treat both sides even handedly.. Btw for what it is worth.. It is a beautiful sunny day, I am currently on the LIRR headed for Atlantic ave and btw we are already delayed an hour.. Concerns are valid, deal with it any way you wish or ignore... There are valid opinions on both sides but attack if u must .. Hagd

Old
08-15-2013, 08:44 AM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post

Are you giving Charles Wang a pass on this?

Old
08-15-2013, 08:51 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I mean you just picked one of the best ones in the country... I prefer Jones beach to the generic stage and lawn set ups... but yes there are plenty of other unique ones like Red Rocks and the Gorge

stranger34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Just voicing my opinion in the place where it should be voiced, the Islander threads. Maybe more focus should be directed at those who continue to insult Nassau and the people here w impunity.. We have every right to be disappointed. Accountability lies with ownership and ownership alone for any franchise... Since our prior owner pocketed the cable money and abandoned the team right after the cups ownership has ruined this team. And now that Snow has finally given us hope they are leaving. People are entitled to vent in a thread for our team without being told to stop just as those who are happy have a right to say so as well.
But people have been "venting" since the announcement was made. At what point does it stop and do people get over it? It's ****ing tiresome already. It's happening. Deal with it or don't. "Venting" isn't going to change what's already done.

Old
08-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
When you move into a new situation, there shouldn't be warts.
Be that as it may, the situation is what it is. Deal with it or don't. The decision is anyone's to make. No judgement will be passed either way.

Old
08-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Strummergas

And now back to the topic at hand. Does anyone think Ratner has even a snowball's chance in hell of winning the bid?

Old
08-15-2013, 09:20 AM
stranger34

Quote:
But people have been "venting" since the announcement was made. At what point does it stop and do people get over it? It's ****ing tiresome already. It's happening. Deal with it or don't. "Venting" isn't going to change what's already done.
It's like purchasing a lemon. You fight and claw, and ***** until they have to take it back. Accepting the broken car is not an option.

Old
08-15-2013, 09:29 AM
CREW99AW

What gets my goat, is that Wang tries for 10-12 yrs to get an arena built, but can't. We are seeing the same pols fast track MSG/Ratner plans. Ratner reportedly hopes to break ground before 2013 , if his group wins.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
It's like purchasing a lemon. You fight and claw, and ***** until they have to take it back. Accepting the broken car is not an option.
Right, except there is something called a "lemon law" that actually provides recourse for situations like that. Kindly show me the recourse for this situation.

Old
08-15-2013, 09:37 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Right, except there is something called a "lemon law" that actually provides recourse for situations like that. Kindly show me the recourse for this situation.
Fans don't show up, team moves

Old
08-15-2013, 09:47 AM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
What gets my goat, is that Wang tries for 10-12 yrs to get an arena built, but can't. We are seeing the same pols fast track MSG/Ratner plans. Ratner reportedly hopes to break ground before 2013 , if his group wins.
Shouldn't your question be "why did two political administrations have so much trouble dealing with Charles Wang and now that he's out of the picture a new developer has been selected 1, 2, 3"?

Old
08-15-2013, 09:56 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
Shouldn't your question be "why did two political administrations have so much trouble dealing with Charles Wang and now that he's out of the picture a new developer has been selected 1, 2, 3"?
I can recall LI pols , commenting about the Milstein+Gluckstern group getting a new arena.

So, no. I don't view Wang as the reason the Isles did not get a new arena. He offered up both a privately funded project and a publicly funded project.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote