HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How Improved Are The Oilers.

View Poll Results: How improved are we?
Enough to make the playoffs 57 16.62%
Enough to make us compete for the final spot 184 53.64%
Only Enough to move up a spot or two 80 23.32%
We did not improve 22 6.41%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-14-2013, 02:07 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks889 View Post
I dont think the oilers have improved much, the added size and grit, which mctavish wanted wasnt accomplished, There bottom 2 lines are still a huge question mark, The center position with RNH still on the injuried list is still troubling. Goaltending is the same, Laberbara is a non descript backup, once again i see the oilers on the outside of the playoffs race, and another season of golf for the oilers in early april.
We could have the meaniest and toughest bottom 6 and it wouldn't matter. Our top 6 is mainly guys that aren't well rounded enough to take this team on their back and dominate on a consistent basis. And this really isn't the players faults, it's the team for not getting them some good complimentary linemates. Although adding Perron will help.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Perfect_Drug

vCash: 500
Weakness is still our D, and Forward Depth (Particularly at C).

It was hardly addressed this summer. Just scuffled around a bit.

Perfect_Drug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 04:23 PM
Pekka Rinne

I'd say enough to compete for the final spot.

Our top 4 is definitely better. One more year of improvement from J. Schultz and Petry, plus Ference>>Whitney, N. Schultz, etc. I also think our bottom pairing will be much better, N.Schultz will likely be playing there, and he is better than Whitney, Potter, Fistric, plus MacT has put together some good competition for the #6 spot between Klefa, Belov, Larsen, Grebs and Potter.

Our goaltending didn't improve, nor did it get worse, i'd Labarbera=Khabi.

For our top 6 we improved our 2nd line LW with Perron instead of MPS. It really all hinges on Nuge's recovery, which seems to be going well

IMO Gordon>Horcoff (Not even including contracts), so we upgraded on 3C. But we still don't have a 4C, though I assume it will be Lander, so ill reserve my judgement on that. Plus we also got rid of Belanger

Now for our bottom six wingers, last year we had Jones, Brown, Eager, Petrell, Smyth and at times Yak, MPS, Hemsky etc. I don't think we improved our bottom six at all this year as we are going in with Hemmer, Jones, Smyth, Jonesuu, Eager, Brown and possibly Hamilton. We'll have to wait a little bit to see how some of the unknowns will play to correctly judge.

On the whole I say our team improved significantly, but i'd say the our biggest aquisition is Eakins, IMO he will do a much better job handling this team and the kids.

Pekka Rinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 04:28 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka Rinne View Post
IMO Gordon>Horcoff (Not even including contracts), so we upgraded on 3C. But we still don't have a 4C, though I assume it will be Lander, so ill reserve my judgement on that. Plus we also got rid of Belanger

Now for our bottom six wingers, last year we had Jones, Brown, Eager, Petrell, Smyth and at times Yak, MPS, Hemsky etc. I don't think we improved our bottom six at all this year as we are going in with Hemmer, Jones, Smyth, Jonesuu, Eager, Brown and possibly Hamilton. We'll have to wait a little bit to see how some of the unknowns will play to correctly judge.
I think/hope the difference is that MacT will actually go out and fill those holes if they are still there after a month. I would've like to see another proven center, but I don't think MacT will wait until the TDD to acquire a 4th line center.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Sheeshta

We're going to be in the cellar again. The loss of Horcoff offsets the positive difference between Perron and Paajarvi, and Ference is a small plus to the back end. The reality of the situation is that the opening night roster is going to have five or six players who weren't in the NHL last year and a rookie head coach. That kind of roster in those hands doesn't get you anywhere except the #8 pick.

Sheeshta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 05:54 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
It's hard to tell. In my opinion, the biggest way we improved is just another year of development for our young guys (Hall/Eberle/RNH/Gagner/Yakupov/Schultz/Petry).

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
The biggest and most subtle addition of the off-season was hiring Eakins. Under his system and demands the Oilers will be much better. On top of that our best players are maturing and our defense is improved. All we need is Dubnyk to stand tall and we should be a playoff team IMO. I don't see Anaheim repeating last season and I also think Vancouver is going to be a mess.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:03 PM
AM

We make the playoffs this year.

Unless more than half the teams in our conference do better than us.

Coaching is the key aspect and I trust MacT's opinion, so I think we are looking good.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

The team is full of kids.. they are going to improve on their own and become baby-vets as the teams primary step up the standings.. and on top of that you can add in the moves the GM has made..as secondary improvements..

Fedun is also still a wildcard, lets all not forget that he made the team right before he broke his leg, and its as good as it was back then.. and on top of that he did develop quite a bit last year..

Defensive depth has definately improved.. as well as scoring depth...
There's a lot of prospects picks and depth to trade for some top notch peices if need be, which is good.. the stables are stocked and were ready to rock..

I can't wait to see Belov crack some skulls.

Last edited by Steve BachIntyre: 08-14-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Steve BachIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:35 PM
HotToddy75

I am one of the optimists. I see the Oilers comfortably earning a playoff spot this season. Here's why (in order of importance):

1. Eakins. Krueger lost the team early on with his odd systems. The 2012/13 roster was good enough for a 7 - 8th place finish. But Krueger pushed them downward. Eakins is good enough to take this 6 - 7th place roster and get them up to 4 - 6th. New systems will be in place, and Eakins is touted to have better ability to get the most out of players. I think he will. I can't wait to see a passionate coach fired up behind the bench.

2. MacT will make better roster adjustments than Tambo pre-season and mid-season. If you don't agree with me, try to defend the usefulness of Fistric, Brown and Smithson.

3. Defense by committee. We may not have a legit star, but we have the largest number of legit NHL defenseman as we've had since 2006/07. It is good, if not great, depth. And not Cam Barker depth. Real depth. Krueger's weird system of not allowing wingers to help the dmen is ended. There are enough legit guys to have a lot of workable combo's where no one gets stuck with a partner they don't jive with.

4. Our top line is as good as any top line in the league. They score at a great pace, they defend well, and they deliver clutch goals. Its our best top line in a really long time. For years we had great depth and no top line. Finally we have the opposite problem.

5. Perron will be a factor. Switching from the Blues' systems to Eakins' will allow him more scoring chances. Really skilled guy, great defender. David Perron is quite capable of leading the team in scoring. Could you say that about MPS?

The 'Chicago Model' is proven to work, and we are 80% there. We've got a great group of high end forwards and just need a step forward on defense and among our bottom 6 forwards.

This is the year we turn the corner.

HotToddy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeshta View Post
We're going to be in the cellar again. The loss of Horcoff offsets the positive difference between Perron and Paajarvi, and Ference is a small plus to the back end. The reality of the situation is that the opening night roster is going to have five or six players who weren't in the NHL last year and a rookie head coach. That kind of roster in those hands doesn't get you anywhere except the #8 pick.
You really think so?

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:52 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Agreed. The key is whether they buy into what Eakins is telling them, The certainly didn't look like they bought into anything last year. If they continue to buck and kick and try to do it their way, it will be a long season.
I think a big part of the problem was when they actually did play Kreugers terrible big ice system. If they would have gone rogue we would likely have been better.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:05 PM
OCTA8ON

I'm gonna miss these hands

OCTA8ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:14 PM
JaredCowenFan
PS-3/4: SenzFan2

I voted enough to make us contend for a 7th/8th seeded Playoff Spot.

JaredCowenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:17 PM
oilinblood

Eakins and MacT-- Eakins wont hurt our special teams and will improve our team game 5 on 5. MacT is a hockey man and his record at judging talent and where they will fit in the NHL is very solid--and he has never bought into others opinions. I trust him to pick up the right players now. I was worried for the summer because of his apparent desperation to fix this team quickly. Now that summer is nearly over there will be a real analysis of our team and then other teams players and assets.

Larssen had a surprisingly good WC. I have always wondered about him. great rookie season then terrible seasons following. I dont like our right side so i hope he can be a good puckmover back there.

Ference, will be the good pick up he is, and a leader.

Gordon, I think he will be closer to belanger for offence than horcoff, but his draws and checking will be better than horcs. This is important because i do not believe we have acquired any help offensively in our bottom 6... infact we have lost some. We didnt have much to begin with. More pressure on the top 6.

Perron, the oilers have shown an inability to find compatible partners for a rover like hemsky. the last player hemmer worked well with was Samsonov. Perron is a rover. Ive watched alot of him and he has alot of Hemmeresque play. The one thing i notice Hemmer does more of though... is cut thru the middle of the d and attack head on rather than side approaches. This is ballsy and keeps defenders on their toea, and more often than not falling over themselves when hem switches to the inside track and blasts off. Im not as sold on this Perron acquisition as others. watched him alot and personally the stickhandling isnt even close to Hemsky level talent and hemsky had balls to go straight at dmen. Never been a huge hemsky fans but i never avoid giving him his due credit for stuff like that...dont expect much more than Smyth side approaches from Perron. He also doesnt have the finish of hemsky. alot of perrons goals i watched seemed almost wiffed on. With hemsky it doesnt matter what the puck is doing, he doesnt have to look at the puck, it can bobble and he knows how to adjust by feel. it goes where he wants.
dont expect a hemmer as much as a smyth.

Could work out. maybe not.

Goaltending . Khabi was always great for small stretches and its Dubnyks fault we always seemed to need to play the geezer longer than a pair of games. Thats all that needs to be said. I dont expect much imroved here. he is what he is. ive seen nothing to suggest different.

Biggest strength--- early waiver option thanks to low standing. and cupboard full of high end dprospects as assets to acquire something big.

Because i like Yak on his wrog wing and dont want two openhanded wingers on the same side --especially with our defense behind them... this is how i would like the lines

Hall RNH Yaks
Perron Gagner Eberle

Last edited by oilinblood: 08-14-2013 at 08:40 PM.
oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:34 PM
OCTA8ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
Eakins and MacT-- Eakins wont hurt our special teams and will improve our team game 5 on 5. MacT is a hockey man and his record at judging talent and where they will fit in the NHL is very solid--and he has never bought into others opinions. I trust him to pick up the right players now. I was worried for the summer because of his apparent desperation to fix this team quickly. Now that summer is nearly over there will be a real analysis of our team and then other teams players and assets.

Larssen had a surprisingly good WC. I have always wondered about him. great rookie season then terrible seasons following. I dont like our right side so i hope he can be a good puckmover back there.

Ference, will be the good pick up he is, and a leader.

Gordon, I think he will be closer to belanger for offence than horcoff, but his draws and checking will be better than horcs. This is important because i do not believe we have acquired any help offensively in our bottom 6... infact we have lost some. We didnt have much to begin with. More pressure on the top 6.

Perron, the oilers have shown an inability to find compatible partners for a rover like hemsky. the last player hemmer worked well with was Samsonov. Perron is a rover. Ive watched alot of him and he has alot of Hemmeresque play. The one thing i notice Hemmer does more of though... is cut thru the middle of the d and attack head on rather than side approaches. This is ballsy and keeps defenders on their toea, and more often than not falling over themselves when hem switches to the inside track and blasts off. Im not as sold on this Perron acquisition as others. watched him alot and personally the stickhandling isnt even close to Hemsky level talent and hemsky had balls to go straight at dmen. Never been a huge hemsky fans but i never avoid giving him his due credit for stuff like that...dont expect much more than Smyth side approaches from Perron. He also doesnt have the finish of hemsky. alot of perrons goals i watched seemed almost wiffed on. With hemsky it doesnt matter what the puck is doing, he doesnt have to look at the puck, it can bobble and he knows how to adjust by feel. it goes where he wants.
dont expect a hemmer as much as a smyth.
1. I guarantee you that Perron will have better hands than anyone else on the Oiler's roster, including Hemsky.

2. Perron has been on a 55-60ish points per season rate in a Hitchcock system. Imagine him in the oiler's top 6. I wouldn't be surprised if he hit 70. You are so underrating him, its not even funny.

OCTA8ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:46 PM
KClovesGaming

It all depends how to new coach is as well. He's a no nonsense kind of person who demands 150%. IMO, all the other coaches during this rebuild have been too soft. Maybe he'll be able to push this team into another gear. I've heard good things about him though. Ken Hitchcock raved about him a week or so ago and Andrew Ferrance also mentioned that he likes Dallas because of his approach to the game and how he demands and tries to push each player into another gear. Should make for an interesting year. I think if the team can play for one another and really push things, they can grab a final spot. It's going to be tough though.

KClovesGaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:54 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Stanley Cup, baby! Four game sweep against the 'Hawks!
I have no freaking clue. Too many changes/variables to really say with any degree of good probability. We shall see.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 12:39 AM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

well i guess the only questionmark is the learning curve with the new coach

Steve BachIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 12:46 AM
Marc08

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredCowenFan View Post
I voted enough to make us contend for a 7th/8th seeded Playoff Spot.
We are no longer using Conference-format playoffs.

Marc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 12:47 AM
Marc08

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Well the Oilers were 12th in the West last season and this year I think they'll be 11th so that's an improvement of 1 spot. Of course there's 1 less team in the West now as well... so technically they may "improve" slightly but I don't see anything more than marginal improvements in their lineup this year over what they had last season.

Of course the game is played on the ice and not on paper so we have to wait and see how Eakins performs as a head coach at the NHL level, and how the chemistry of the team changes (for better or worse) after all these changes have been made to the roster.

As a fan I'm always hopeful that they can make the playoffs but realistically I just can't see this team beating out 6 other teams in the West and getting into the 2nd season with this current roster... still too many weaknesses and mediocrity in too many areas of the roster.
We are no longer using Conference-format playoffs.

Marc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 07:25 AM
Sheeshta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
You really think so?
I do, yes. The team got significantly worse when he was traded, not only because Horcoff despite his contract/history etc. was a perfectly good proven third line centre, but also because it now means that the Oilers will likely be starting the season with one (or even two) of Arcobello/Acton/Smyth on the roster as a centre.

I like Perron a lot, but adding his type of game to a team with a huge sucking desert of talent down the middle doesn't make things any better.

Old
08-15-2013, 08:38 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
I do, yes. The team got significantly worse when he was traded, not only because Horcoff despite his contract/history etc. was a perfectly good proven third line centre, but also because it now means that the Oilers will likely be starting the season with one (or even two) of Arcobello/Acton/Smyth on the roster as a centre.

I like Perron a lot, but adding his type of game to a team with a huge sucking desert of talent down the middle doesn't make things any better.
I don't see what Perron has to do with Horcoff and i don't see what trading Horcoff has to do with the 4th line.
Gordon replaced Horcoff which is a lateral move, maybe better because i think he fits this team better than Horcoff does and Perron is an upgrade on Paajarvi. Arcobello/Acton/Smyth would be here even if Horcoff was retained with the only difference being that Horcoff would still be captain which i think most would agree wouldn't have been in the best interest of the team going forward.
Horcoff had to be dealt, it was best for the team and Horcoff.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Sheeshta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I don't see what Perron has to do with Horcoff and i don't see what trading Horcoff has to do with the 4th line.
Gordon replaced Horcoff which is a lateral move, maybe better because i think he fits this team better than Horcoff does and Perron is an upgrade on Paajarvi. Arcobello/Acton/Smyth would be here even if Horcoff was retained with the only difference being that Horcoff would still be captain (Ugh).
What Perron has to do with Horcoff is in the context of my post. I think gaining Perron is a net positive, and losing Horcoff is a net loss, and I think those moves thus off-set each other, leaving us with a forward corps that will be, especially with RNH either gimped or on the shelf for the first month of the season, either the same or worse than it was last year.

Sure, Joensuu, Arcobello, Acton and Hamilton could all manage to somehow massively improve our bottom six. I could also win the lottery. Expecting non-NHL players (either rookies or KHL/Euro league guys) to step in and be quality is exactly the kind of happy optimism that had people excited about Hartikainen and Petrell.

I agree that Horcoff had to be dealt, absolutely. But I also know that the team got worse when he was dealt.

The good thing about sports is that there will eventually be a record to show who was right & who wasn't!

Old
08-15-2013, 09:03 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
What Perron has to do with Horcoff is in the context of my post. I think gaining Perron is a net positive, and losing Horcoff is a net loss, and I think those moves thus off-set each other, leaving us with a forward corps that will be, especially with RNH either gimped or on the shelf for the first month of the season, either the same or worse than it was last year.

Sure, Joensuu, Arcobello, Acton and Hamilton could all manage to somehow massively improve our bottom six. I could also win the lottery. Expecting non-NHL players (either rookies or KHL/Euro league guys) to step in and be quality is exactly the kind of happy optimism that had people excited about Hartikainen and Petrell.
Again, i disagree....

Perron > Paajarvi
Horcoff = Gordon IMO

It seems that you're implying that the difference between Horcoff and Gordon is greater than the difference between Perron and Paajarvi. I couldn't disagree more but I guess we'll just have to see how it plays out.

Also, i never said that i was happy with the bottom 6 and in particular those 4th line/AHL tweeners, i think it's atrocious beyond Gordon, perhaps Jones and i guess Hemsky if one considers him a legit 3rd liner but it was also atrocious last season too so i don't think it necessarily got worse.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote