HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundqvist to be best paid player?

Old
08-14-2013, 04:14 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Rick Nash's contract expires when he's 34. If Lundqvist will take a contract that expires when he's 34, I'm sure the Rangers would be more than willing to make him their highest paid player. Otherwise it shouldn't be comparable.
I'd be happy to give Hank 8M/per on a 3 year extension...but I doubt he's looking for a contract that expires when he's 35.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 04:23 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Seems very insecure to also want to make sure you are the highest paid guy on the team. Insecure and childish.
Funny, I have the same thoughts regarding your opinion on the subject being you have no idea how the negotiations are going, or where the #'s are between player and team. It hasn't stopped you from running with this crap about egos and structure of the team though.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Lundsanity30

Its quite simple why u pay Hank 8M, IF he hits UFA, u pay that no question probably more. I cant believe people have an issue with him being the highest paid Ranger.

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 04:28 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Its quite simple why u pay Hank 8M, IF he hits UFA, u pay that no question probably more. I cant believe people have an issue with him being the highest paid Ranger.
I think the issue is more term than salary. I'd be happy to pay Hank ~8 for the next few years. The problem is if he gets 8.5 on an 8 year deal, because that means he's probably getting a salary of ~11 the next few years and then ~5 later. That could really cause some problems in the future.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
I think the issue is more term than salary. I'd be happy to pay Hank ~8 for the next few years. The problem is if he gets 8.5 on an 8 year deal, because that means he's probably getting a salary of ~11 the next few years and then ~5 later. That could really cause some problems in the future.
understood, but if he hits UFA.... IMO, we pay that and then some.

Old
08-14-2013, 04:43 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Funny, I have the same thoughts regarding your opinion on the subject being you have no idea how the negotiations are going, or where the #'s are between player and team. It hasn't stopped you from running with this crap about egos and structure of the team though.
awww.

that makes me sad

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 04:47 PM
pld459666

Quote:
If Hank is going to walk over 4 million over the life of a contract, then he's not worth the jersey he wears.

7.5 is more than fair as it covers both being paid as an elite level player and makes him the highest paid player at his position over the next 7 years.

I love the guy. Been a fan of his since before he made the journey across the pond.

I love the jersey alot more than the player.

I was Happy Mess left in 97 as he tried to hold the franchise hostage, I'd be just as happy if Hank left due to the same BS.

Old
08-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
If Hank is going to walk over 4 million over the life of a contract, then he's not worth the jersey he wears.

7.5 is more than fair as it covers both being paid as an elite level player and makes him the highest paid player at his position over the next 7 years.

I love the guy. Been a fan of his since before he made the journey across the pond.

I was Happy Mess left in 97 as he tried to hold the franchise hostage, I'd be just as happy if Hank left due to the same BS.
Yea, Im always happy when the Rangers make decisions that clearly make them worse.

Take away the singular player that has made the Rangers an above average team in the NHL, and hand Sather the cap space with no goaltender. What can possibly go wrong?

Old
08-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Yea, Im always happy when the Rangers make decisions that clearly make them worse.

Take away the singular player that has made the Rangers an above average team in the NHL, and hand Sather the cap space with no goaltender. What can possibly go wrong?
Zzzzzzzzz.

No singular player does that. If they did, Nashville wouldn't have been 4th last in the league last season.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Zzzzzzzzz.

No singular player does that. If they did, Nashville wouldn't have been 4th last in the league last season.
You dont think this team goes from pretty good to mediocre without Lundqvist? You don't think they take a nosedive if he were to walk? C'mon.

Theres a time to penny pinch. In fact, its most of the time. This isn't the time to be haggling over a few hundred thousand dollars.

Old
08-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
You dont think this team goes from pretty good to mediocre without Lundqvist? You don't think they take a nosedive if he were to walk? C'mon.
Of course if he walks it would be a huge hit to the team.

There's a big difference between that and him being the singular reason for any success.

In his time with the team, they've finished anywhere from 1st to 9th in the conference, so there are other variables there.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Lundsanity30

Rangers turn into quite a mediocre team if Hank walks.

Old
08-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:

Theres a time to penny pinch. In fact, its most of the time. This isn't the time to be haggling over a few hundred thousand dollars.
Hank going to FA with the cap going up and plenty of teams needing a goalie who instantly can turn them into a contender or favorite, what could go wrong?

Old
08-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Rangers turn into quite a mediocre team if Hank walks.
You're probably right...considering the Rangers haven't been much better than mediocre WITH Hank.

Last edited by Jersey Girl: 08-14-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 05:42 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
It's about 8.6 million USD.
You misplaced a comma, its 86m. 10.75m AAV.

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 05:46 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
You misplaced a comma, its 86m. 10.75m AAV.
You're correct, I have no idea what I was thinking.

That AAV makes me want to barf. Hank isn't worth 11 mil per for 8 years, sorry. I wouldn't pay him that kind of money even on a shorter term deal. It's absolutely ridiculous.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
You're correct, I have no idea what I was thinking.

That AAV makes me want to barf. Hank isn't worth 11 mil per for 8 years, sorry. I wouldn't pay him that kind of money even on a shorter term deal. It's absolutely ridiculous.
I find its a good use of my time to get worked up over BS reports as well.

Old
08-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Of course if he walks it would be a huge hit to the team.

There's a big difference between that and him being the singular reason for any success.

In his time with the team, they've finished anywhere from 1st to 9th in the conference, so there are other variables there.
Hockey is the ultimate team sport in a lot of ways. And if we're getting into the semantics of it, sure, no singular player is totally responsible for a team's success (or failure).

But I've been watching the Rangers for a long term, and Lundqvist sure is the closest thing I've seen to it.

Old
08-14-2013, 05:49 PM
B A T M A N
Risen

He's worth the money.

B A T M A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 06:28 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

I didn't read through, but a big +1 to any post(if any, and I'm sure there has to be) mentioning something about handing the kid a blank check with a blank piece of paper saying only the word "Demands" at the top to be handed back filled out as soon as possible.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 06:37 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:

Some might see it through the players eyes, after all the players are the ones who give the jersey the extra touch of either pride or embarrassment. Rozsival just won the Cup in our face.

For example, I wasn't happy MESSIER WASN'T PAID WHAT HE SHOULD'VE BEEN PAID. He was right to leave over the insult and brush over to the name that didn't win us the Cup. As would Henrik(with or without Cup#EDDIE), and losing this guy would be the ****ing death of us (Us that require our 82 x 60 minute fix though we may never win again by our luck). Every game I wonder how the hell he does it. He doesn't have an offnight, the guys in front of him just get that much worse. I'll argue that all day. We'd all be completely miserable if it weren't for him. We would've had another almost-decade of losing to New Jersey. As what happened when Messier left.

Old
08-14-2013, 06:42 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Realistically, to lose him would be to replace him with a better situation or we don't let him go. Since the first one isn't happening. We're not getting 8 or 87 for Hank. Keep him til he injures out and/or retires, he'll be the same exact piece of consistency at least until he does.
There really is no other choice, and I think I'm assuming he and Sather both know it.

Old
08-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Lundqvist as a single player probably makes the biggest difference to his team as anyone in the league.

Even when the Pens lost Crosby (and Malkin at times) a couple years ago they were still top 4 in the conference.

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Honestly, given that the Garden is rolling in money (salaries capped, ticket prices going up every year), I don't see why Lundqvist shouldn't receive a chunk of it--since a great deal of the Rangers' success is because of his play.

I expect somewhere in the neighborhood of $8.5 million a year.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:31 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Some might see it through the players eyes, after all the players are the ones who give the jersey the extra touch of either pride or embarrassment. Rozsival just won the Cup in our face.

For example, I wasn't happy MESSIER WASN'T PAID WHAT HE SHOULD'VE BEEN PAID. He was right to leave over the insult and brush over to the name that didn't win us the Cup. As would Henrik(with or without Cup#EDDIE), and losing this guy would be the ****ing death of us (Us that require our 82 x 60 minute fix though we may never win again by our luck). Every game I wonder how the hell he does it. He doesn't have an offnight, the guys in front of him just get that much worse. I'll argue that all day. We'd all be completely miserable if it weren't for him. We would've had another almost-decade of losing to New Jersey. As what happened when Messier left.
But he did get paid. Had there not been a lockout he was set to hold out past the home opener. The Rangers made him the Highest paid player in the league for 3 years after the cup.

They made him a very FAIR offer for an obviously declining player that was equal to what a better player was making in Gretzky.

Messier, in obvious decline, wanted to continue getting paid elite level money when he was no longer an elite level player.

regarding the last statement, Messier staying would NOT have prevented the losing that happened. That was going to happen anyway. The team was old and in decline. Messier didn't do anything for the Canucks, he wouldn't have helped the Rangers either.

As for Hank, you don't look to replace Hank. You look to get a goalie that is solid and you use the 3-5 million in savings to improve other areas.

the most successful teams over the last 20-30 years did not have the goalie as their best and most highest paid players.

Yes there are a few outliers such as Marty, Roy and Hasek, but for each of those guys there are the Howards, Osgoods, MA Fleury's and Wards as well.

Lundqvist at more than 7.5 per is a mistake.