HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official NHLers/Oilers @ The Olympics Thread

Old
07-23-2013, 04:51 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Nice that Yzerman phoned the guys that were on the last team that didn't get invited this time around.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 05:08 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
CP is blowing their loads that Schultz invited to camp. Like anyone here thought otherwise.

Well Matheson did.
Wait, what?

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Wait, what?
Sorry. NOT invited.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 05:40 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 4433
Quote:
CP is blowing their loads that Schultz invited to camp. Like anyone here thought otherwise.

Well Matheson did.
I think one of the talking heads on TSN picked him back in Jan. that spawned a "name a 100 defencemen better than Schultz" thread there.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:04 PM
Comic Book Guy*

This just a quick public service announcement, because I believe no one outside the city of Edmonton Alberta are aware of these facts:

1. Taylor Hall finished 2nd in NHL point scoring amongs LWs.
2. Had Ovechkin not been voted twice by stupid reporters, Taylor Hall was on the NHL's second all star team this year
3. Taylor Hall will most likely be named captain of the Edmonton Oilers
4. Taylor Hall was recently chosen as a #1 overall pick in the NHL draft
5. Taylor Hall was near Giroux, Stamkos, Malkin, Ovechkin levels in PPG this past season
6. Has finished top 3 in team scoring despite injuries in the past 3 season

However...

Patrick Sharp should make it on Team Canada
Andrew Ladd should make it on Team Canada

I love those two players btw. No diss to either. MacT, you're probably reading. Please trade for both those players. I wanted to kick Tambellini in the behind when he didn't part with a 2nd rounder for Andrew effing Ladd.

Tumbleweeds when it comes to Taylor. I see all these mock lineups outside HFOil, and 95% of them exclude Taylor Hall.

Agains, just want to make the unaware, aware.

Comic Book Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:24 PM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

vCash: 907
Quote:

Well Matheson did.
Not sure why.

He wasn't cracking a defense as deep as Canada's on his first time.

April Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:31 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Not sure why.

I sometimes lurk there for a chuckle but I think they are deliberately saying that as I recall one user pumping up Schultz to infinity and beyond a few days ago.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:21 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy View Post
This just a quick public service announcement, because I believe no one outside the city of Edmonton Alberta are aware of these facts:

1. Taylor Hall finished 2nd in NHL point scoring amongs LWs.
2. Had Ovechkin not been voted twice by stupid reporters, Taylor Hall was on the NHL's second all star team this year
3. Taylor Hall will most likely be named captain of the Edmonton Oilers
4. Taylor Hall was recently chosen as a #1 overall pick in the NHL draft
5. Taylor Hall was near Giroux, Stamkos, Malkin, Ovechkin levels in PPG this past season
6. Has finished top 3 in team scoring despite injuries in the past 3 season

However...

Patrick Sharp should make it on Team Canada
Andrew Ladd should make it on Team Canada

I love those two players btw. No diss to either. MacT, you're probably reading. Please trade for both those players. I wanted to kick Tambellini in the behind when he didn't part with a 2nd rounder for Andrew effing Ladd.

Tumbleweeds when it comes to Taylor. I see all these mock lineups outside HFOil, and 95% of them exclude Taylor Hall.

Agains, just want to make the unaware, aware.
Hall is not very good defensively and does not protect the puck very well.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 02:08 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Hall is not very good defensively and does not protect the puck very well.
Those are just about the only drawbacks to having him on the team - hes not very reliable or active defensively, and his decision-making with the puck is questionable a lot of the time.

Only thing I'm wondering is when Russia's got absolute game-breakers like Ovechkin, Malkin, etc doing work with their size and speed, why doesn't Canada unleash someone like Hall.

These are guys who in a defensive series/game are capable of breaking it wide open with their style of play. Not even a Crosby or Getzlaf can do this. Guys like Hall, Stamkos, etc can do it.

You're don't need nor are you going to win with 12 Toews-type forwards on the roster.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 02:50 PM
BackhandToeyJoey

Americans probably should've won gold last Olympics and most of their forwards were fast and young, or mean and gritty. Backes (2010) = Marchand to a certain extent. Does Hall = Kane or Kessel of 2010??

BackhandToeyJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOiklRising View Post
Not sure why.

Ya like someone previously mentioned, they had a thread called "100 better defenseman than Justin Schultz"

haha Such a cult over there.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 04:47 PM
jbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandToeyJoey View Post
Americans probably should've won gold last Olympics and most of their forwards were fast and young, or mean and gritty. Backes (2010) = Marchand to a certain extent. Does Hall = Kane or Kessel of 2010??
I beg to differ. Canada had weaker goaltending, the US made it to overtime by the skin of their teeth, and yet we still won the gold medal game. Even when the States beat us in the round robin we still out shot them 45:23, including 19:6 in the first period and 14:4 in the third. The states played well but they certainly didn't play well enough as though the tournament was theirs to lose. Canada also had to play an extra elimination game, face the tournament favourite Russia (who we destroyed), and a strong motivated Slovak team to make their way to the finals, a much harder path to the finals than the Americans who played the Swiss and Finland.

Last edited by jbean: 07-25-2013 at 04:56 PM.
jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:17 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Those are just about the only drawbacks to having him on the team - hes not very reliable or active defensively, and his decision-making with the puck is questionable a lot of the time.

Only thing I'm wondering is when Russia's got absolute game-breakers like Ovechkin, Malkin, etc doing work with their size and speed, why doesn't Canada unleash someone like Hall.

These are guys who in a defensive series/game are capable of breaking it wide open with their style of play. Not even a Crosby or Getzlaf can do this. Guys like Hall, Stamkos, etc can do it.

You're don't need nor are you going to win with 12 Toews-type forwards on the roster.
TPH with a positive comment about Hall?

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Team Canada and Sweden have repeatedly taken teams to the WHC and had youngsters either as extra F or D - just as a type of developmental opportunity.

Similar thing happening for Team USA. Obviously there's been a bit of anti-Petry bias on their behalf in years past, but I think this is beyond that - it's just a developmental opportunity for these kids at camp. None of them are coming along to Sochi.

Another guy in a similar boat is Andy Greene. Definite top pairing defenseman. But just not a guy Hockey USA has been a fan of. They love their former WJHC kids, or guys that came up through the USANDTP
Really? Petry's been on the last two World Championship teams. I think in the end he's a "tweener" that was never going to make the Olympic team and isn't part of the young core for future best on best events either. There are a lot of good U.S. d-men that didn't get an invite: Goligoski, Greene, Carle, etc.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Arpeggio

So how long until a player comes out and says he's not going to participate in the Olympics? I understand why athletes who may only ever have one chance to compete for their country in the Olympics would not support a boycott, but I could definitely see high profile players from the NHL taking a stand.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 10:18 PM
beaterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
So how long until a player comes out and says he's not going to participate in the Olympics? I understand why athletes who may only ever have one chance to compete for their country in the Olympics would not support a boycott, but I could definitely see high profile players from the NHL taking a stand.
I don't think any thinly veiled threats will cause a player to turn his back on his country, cause that's exactly how it will look.

beaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterson View Post
I don't think any thinly veiled threats will cause a player to turn his back on his country, cause that's exactly how it will look.
Not to turn this thread political, but people should be turning their backs on Russia at this point. It'll be a sham if nothing is said about the violation of human rights currently taking place in Russia. And of course, political statements get you banned from the Olympics.

Also to clarify, when I said "come out", I meant against the issues in Russia.

Edit: This is probably a discussion that would be better had on the politics board.

Last edited by Arpeggio: 08-08-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 05:50 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Question 1: How long have these issues against human rights been around?

Question 2: If they have always been there, why the outcry now and not years ago?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

Question 2: If they have always been there, why the outcry now and not years ago?
I can't answer your questions, but it is interesting that in Beijing in 2008, there were concerns regarding human rights in Tibet and China's actions in that area. There were protests, but the IOC ignored them and the games went ahead.

It seems to be reoccurring with human rights violations in Russia and the IOC continues to ignore it. It reinforces how corrupt and profit driven the IOC is.

Not to sound ignorant or like an idealist, but it's sad to see the entire purpose and 'spirit' of the Olympics is being tarnished.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:32 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

Answer 1: since forever. homophobia is pretty much part of our culture which is very conservative.

Answer 2: because Snowden.

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:37 PM
2Sedins0Cups
Clever ain't wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
I can't answer your questions, but it is interesting that in Beijing in 2008, there were concerns regarding human rights in Tibet and China's actions in that area. There were protests, but the IOC ignored them and the games went ahead.

It seems to be reoccurring with human rights violations in Russia and the IOC continues to ignore it. It reinforces how corrupt and profit driven the IOC is.

Not to sound ignorant or like an idealist, but it's sad to see the entire purpose and 'spirit' of the Olympics is being tarnished.
So do we boycott the next Olympics in the US because of all their human rights violations as well?

2Sedins0Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:30 PM
fysloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post

To me, by not boycotting and actually attending, they are acting in the spirit of the olympics, which is to put aside differences and come together for 2 weeks to have friendly competition with one another. By boycotting, they refuse to get along and therefore go against the spirit of the olympics. Just a spin on the statement.

That aside, back on topic. I honestly don't think any Oilers will make the Canadian Olympic team unless they downright dominate in scoring race leading up to the Olympics. Canada likes to have extremely marketable and high profile players, then the best defensive players with offense. Hall and Eberle are not defensive enough to make the team unless they are leading in scoring.

fysloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Apocalyptic Mist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sedins0Cups View Post
So do we boycott the next Olympics in the US because of all their human rights violations as well?
Good point... there is criticism of Russia, but for what though? We dont live there... it is a whole different lifestyle and we have to accept it. If the United States can get the Olympics, any country in the world can.

Apocalyptic Mist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Apocalyptic Mist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
Answer 1: since forever. homophobia is pretty much part of our culture which is very conservative.

Answer 2: because Snowden.
delete

Apocalyptic Mist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalyptic Mist View Post
delete
if you want to tell or ask me something about this that you don't find appropriate for public eyes, feel free to PM me.

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote