HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brendan Morrison

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-06-2006, 06:34 PM
  #26
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
rumor has it that phoenix needs a goalie and are willing to unload jovonovski .
What rumour is this? I heard on the Hot Stove on HNIC that SJ and Phoenix supposedly talked trade, which rumoured to be a goaltender heading for the desert. The asking price was Jovanovski, which led Phoenix to balk on discussions.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 06:40 PM
  #27
Heske_44
Registered User
 
Heske_44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,361
vCash: 500
Morrison did benefit from Bertuzzi and Naslund, no arguement here. His play did suffer last year from playing through a serious injury that limited his greatest asset considerably, which was his skating.

Mo' has looked very solid this year and his work ethic (whether injury related or not) is back to where it should be and he is playing very hard and aggressive. He has done more than expected from myself this year with the Canucks. Whether he is worth 3.2 is a different question.

Heske_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 06:47 PM
  #28
Nyclaus
Registered User
 
Nyclaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Good Vibes!
Country: Canada
Posts: 924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I don't think I agree. Morrison broke into the league known as a speed daemon. He's never done anything to dispell that notion as far as I've seen.
not to diss your comment but he's no second coming of Pavel Bure...why would any team trade their "speed demon" in today's hockey? Makes no sense! Even Russ Courtnall would shine with the "new" NHL.

Nyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 06:50 PM
  #29
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyclaus View Post
not to diss your comment but he's no second coming of Pavel Bure...why would any team trade their "speed demon" in today's hockey? Makes no sense! Even Russ Courtnall would shine with the "new" NHL.
I'm not sure I understand your point. Speed has little to do with production. Rico Fata's arguably faster than any player on Montreal. Does that mean he'd make the team? Nope. So where do you come off saying anything about Pavel Bure, or that extremely fast skaters are untouchable?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 07:30 PM
  #30
vancityluongo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 11,688
vCash: 500
Canuck fan here. Morrison in fact is a good skater. If put on a line with say, Samsonov and Kovalev, it could be a dangerous line.

Mo is a good player, but right now he has what is believed to be a groin/hip injury, and Brendan is only playing now because he wants to continue his ironman streak of 4?? consecutive games. This year he has evidently struggled, and Nonis is rumored to be trying to move him for some scoring help.

I think that Nonis might want to put Ryan Kesler into a position where he must perform, aka our second line, and put some pressure on Ryan's shoulders to add to the constant pain he suffers from carrying his wallet everyday. Kesler can not be traded, because of the whole contract sheet situation, so that is a reason that Morrison is the center that the Canucks will move.

For the most part, Canuck fans like him, but he is not a first line center whatsoever. He to me is kind of like a worse version of Marc Savard. Inflated stats from playing with good players.

Players that could possibly be packaged in a deal with Mo are Marc Chouinard, Matt Cooke, Tommi Santala, and Jan Bulis. We also have 3 2nd Rounders this upcoming draft.

Chouinard has just plain sucked this year, no wonder Minny let go of him. His 1.1 Million Contract has looked awful so far. Matt Cooke has played horribly so far, but I believe that he is still a decent player. Tommi Santala is a below average 4th line center. Jan Bulis, good gosh I should have listened to you guys! He's not a Top 6 forward at all! . Bob Gainey is a genius. Bulis along with Kesler has become my favorite whipping boys. His stats aren't bad, but when you watch his games, it's evident he's bad. Apparently, he was just like this last year with the Habs, but looking at his stats, I thought he was a pretty decent player.

I think if Mo gets moved, it will probably be a package deal for a scorer and/or a defencemen.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 07:54 PM
  #31
GoHabsGO252006
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 953
vCash: 500
Not at the salary he is recieving. Way too much for him, especially when we'll need significant cap space in the off season to address our D.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 09:21 PM
  #32
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,661
vCash: 500
We don't need a smallish second line centerman. Just got rid of that problem.

And we have something in common with Vancouver, we need a defenseman too!

tinyzombies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 09:29 PM
  #33
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
the difference between Savard and Morrison is that Savard had success before Hossa/Kovalchuk, where as Morrison was a fringe nhler before Bert/Naslund. Also, Morrison never scored 97 points.
Morrison put up 54 points playing alongside a young Peter Schaefer and Matt Cooke in 2000/01. How is that a fringe player?

Morrison is a talented, two-way player who gives 110% and is at his best in the big games and playoffs. If he was making less than $3.2 mil the Canucks wouldn't even consider moving him, but with the team up against the cap, and Henrik Sedin showing he's more than capable as the #1 center, he's the most logical player to move. Keep in mind that Morrison struggled through a hip injury most of last season and is still recovering from surgery this year, he's not 100% yet. Over the past few weeks he has looked a lot better and is skating with a lot less effort.

He'll never lead a line offensively, but how many playmakers' do? Give him a solid winger and some time to develop some chemistry and he's a solid 2nd, two-way 2nd line center. Is he overpaid? Yes, but if he wasn't he wouldn't be on the block.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 03:14 AM
  #34
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,315
vCash: 500
Morrison just said that his hip is 80%... so he actually doesn't try to tell people he is 100% so thats a mistake from my previous post

He hasn't been 100% healthy since pre lockout......

Its a very risky investment @ 3.2mil

Plus, I cant see the canucks trading a center.

After sedin and without morrison, who else can play center? Kesler (who I dont think is going to be a top 6 guy), Chouinard (role player), Linden (role player at the end of the line)... and the farm doesn't have someone thats ready to take a top 6 spot at C

They just cant afford to trade morrison IMO despite all the rumours we hear

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 03:15 AM
  #35
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Morrison put up 54 points playing alongside a young Peter Schaefer and Matt Cooke in 2000/01. How is that a fringe player?

Morrison is a talented, two-way player who gives 110% and is at his best in the big games and playoffs. If he was making less than $3.2 mil the Canucks wouldn't even consider moving him, but with the team up against the cap, and Henrik Sedin showing he's more than capable as the #1 center, he's the most logical player to move. Keep in mind that Morrison struggled through a hip injury most of last season and is still recovering from surgery this year, he's not 100% yet. Over the past few weeks he has looked a lot better and is skating with a lot less effort.

He'll never lead a line offensively, but how many playmakers' do? Give him a solid winger and some time to develop some chemistry and he's a solid 2nd, two-way 2nd line center. Is he overpaid? Yes, but if he wasn't he wouldn't be on the block.
hey, I'll take the pre lockout morrison anytime

but the issue now is whether he is damaged goods who is never going to get back to his original form (ie. what you see is what you get) or is he just rounding back into pre lockout form

like I said before, I'm not willing to take the chance at 3.2mil

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 03:50 PM
  #36
Nyclaus
Registered User
 
Nyclaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Good Vibes!
Country: Canada
Posts: 924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I'm not sure I understand your point. Speed has little to do with production. Rico Fata's arguably faster than any player on Montreal. Does that mean he'd make the team? Nope. So where do you come off saying anything about Pavel Bure, or that extremely fast skaters are untouchable?
I admit, I had to read his stats at HCKDB...

Point taken.

Nyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 04:05 PM
  #37
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
is at his best in the big games and playoffs.
Well I guess we now know why the canucks are one of the worst playoff teams in recent memory

2003-2004 Canucks 7 2 3 5 2 8 1 0 1 0 13 15.4
2002-2003 Canucks 14 4 7 11 -4 18 1 0 1 0 27 14.8
2001-2002 Canucks 6 0 2 2 -2 6 0 0 0 0 4 0.0
2000-2001 Canucks 4 1 2 3 -2 0 1 0 0 0 11 9.1
1998-1999 Devils 7 0 2 2 -1 0 0 0 0 0 10 0.0
1997-1998 Devils 3 0 1 1 -1 0 0 0 0 0 4 0.0


The guy had one good playoff, every other year he sucked immensly.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 04:48 PM
  #38
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Well I guess we now know why the canucks are one of the worst playoff teams in recent memory

2003-2004 Canucks 7 2 3 5 2 8 1 0 1 0 13 15.4
2002-2003 Canucks 14 4 7 11 -4 18 1 0 1 0 27 14.8
2001-2002 Canucks 6 0 2 2 -2 6 0 0 0 0 4 0.0
2000-2001 Canucks 4 1 2 3 -2 0 1 0 0 0 11 9.1


The guy had one good playoff, every other year he sucked immensly.
21 points in 31 games does not suck immensely. Exagggeration to prove an incorrect point sucks immensely.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 04:51 PM
  #39
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
21 points in 31 games does not suck immensely. Exagggeration to prove an incorrect point sucks immensely.
3 subpar years out 4 does suck though. Incidentally, his team was knocked out in the first round each sub-par year. The point is, Morrison is not at his best during the playoffs. He is, at best, average. Then again, he is asked to play a bigger role than he is capable of. If he weren't so overpayed, he would make a decent 2nd/3rd line center with some pp time. Its also 24 points in 41 playoff games. Changing stats to prove your point sucks immensly.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 05:03 PM
  #40
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
3 subpar years out 4 does suck though. Incidentally, his team was knocked out in the first round each sub-par year. The point is, Morrison is not at his best during the playoffs. He is, at best, average. Then again, he is asked to play a bigger role than he is capable of. If he weren't so overpayed, he would make a decent 2nd/3rd line center with some pp time.
In other words, he doesn't suck immensely, and you did exaggerate. Good to see we're on the same page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Its also 24 points in 41 playoff games. Changing stats to prove your point sucks immensly.
You specified his performance in Vancouver, and I responded to that, so his early-year performances where he had minimum ice-time in a non-key role on NJ were irrelevant. Don't get cheeky just because you were caught with your pants down.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 05:17 PM
  #41
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Well I guess we now know why the canucks are one of the worst playoff teams in recent memory

2003-2004 Canucks 7 2 3 5 2 8 1 0 1 0 13 15.4
2002-2003 Canucks 14 4 7 11 -4 18 1 0 1 0 27 14.8
2001-2002 Canucks 6 0 2 2 -2 6 0 0 0 0 4 0.0
2000-2001 Canucks 4 1 2 3 -2 0 1 0 0 0 11 9.1
1998-1999 Devils 7 0 2 2 -1 0 0 0 0 0 10 0.0
1997-1998 Devils 3 0 1 1 -1 0 0 0 0 0 4 0.0


The guy had one good playoff, every other year he sucked immensly.
I don't agree with this. If you look at the stats sheets in Toronto, you would think Darcy Tucker's game takes a hit during the playoffs. Anyone who has seen the Leafs in the playoffs knows that isn't true, he has a different role in those situations. Morrison is quite adequate in the post-seasons. In the stats you shown, there are three seasons where you can say his production was above-average, while two seasons he played a minimal role with the Devils.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 05:20 PM
  #42
The n00b King *
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Scatbox-less :(
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,861
vCash: 500
i didnt even read the thread but i bet it has something to do with the habs acquiring him.

That's a big fat no. The sens are rumoured for his services though.

Time to move on!

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 05:24 PM
  #43
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
I don't agree with this. If you look at the stats sheets in Toronto, you would think Darcy Tucker's game takes a hit during the playoffs. Anyone who has seen the Leafs in the playoffs knows that isn't true, he has a different role in those situations. Morrison is quite adequate in the post-seasons. In the stats you shown, there are three seasons where you can say his production was above-average, while two seasons he played a minimal role with the Devils.
Morrison's sole job is to put up points, because he can't do anything else. When Tucker isn't scoring he is doing other things. When Morrison isn't scoring he's useless.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 05:28 PM
  #44
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
In other words, he doesn't suck immensely, and you did exaggerate. Good to see we're on the same page.



You specified his performance in Vancouver, and I responded to that, so his early-year performances where he had minimum ice-time in a non-key role on NJ were irrelevant. Don't get cheeky just because you were caught with your pants down.
Even still, there is a noticable drop in his point production in his playoff years with Vancouver. In fact, ever playoff year saw a production drop come playoff time. Yes, I did exagerate to make a point, but it doesn't change the fact that my point was correct. Morrison is not at his best come playoff time.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 05:28 PM
  #45
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner
 
hockeyfan125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Morrison's sole job is to put up points, because he can't do anything else. When Tucker isn't scoring he is doing other things. When Morrison isn't scoring he's useless.
wrong again. Morrison is a very solid defensive centre who uses his speed on the back-check to break up plays and intercept passes. Even if he isn't scoring, he still plays great defensive hockey. (Not worth 3.2.. but I am not arguing that).

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 05:33 PM
  #46
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Morrison's sole job is to put up points, because he can't do anything else. When Tucker isn't scoring he is doing other things. When Morrison isn't scoring he's useless.
If Morrison plays a two-way game with intensity, uses his speed to create chances and competes hard by going to the net or distributing the puck to his linemates, then he is far from useless. The other "things" a player can do is more then just forechecking or hitting, defensive coverage is key in the playoffs.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 06:29 PM
  #47
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
If Morrison plays a two-way game with intensity, uses his speed to create chances and competes hard by going to the net or distributing the puck to his linemates, then he is far from useless. The other "things" a player can do is more then just forechecking or hitting, defensive coverage is key in the playoffs.
Morrison can't play defence. I've seen him play a lot. He's not a bad player who just floatsm he's just bad at playing defence.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.