HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > IIHF World Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
IIHF World Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The biggest rivalry in Sochi?

Old
08-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Mehar

vCash: 500
Canada vs. Russia, especially after the butt kicking Canada gave them in 2010 QF.

Mehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwine85 View Post
Don't worry, we avenged you later on that tournament

Don't worry we replicated the same 5-2 Score on your home turf in 2002 in front of your Popular Vice-President Dick Cheney in the Gold Medal Game in Salt Lake City, and beat you again in the Gold Medal Game in Vancouver in 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R2HjpW_9dQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z0W1MUv_c4

Mehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Hal 9000*

Being in Sochi, the biggest rivalry has to include Russia - obviously! The whole "miracle on ice" thingy is cute, but mainly driven by the USA - no one else really cares about it - including the Russians.

The Russians have always measured themselves with Canada - therefore it's certainly a Canada/Russia show.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 02:33 AM
flaneur

Judging by some previous statements by Russian players (eg. Ovechkin saying that there is nothing better than beating Canada in Canada, and Nail Yakupov being really happy about beating Canada in WJ) I sense that Russia views Canada as their main hockey rival. They may respect the US team as a tough team but not as a true rival (kind of like how Canada views Sweden)

flaneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 03:47 AM
jfc64

Crosby - Giroux

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 04:14 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaneur View Post
Judging by some previous statements by Russian players (eg. Ovechkin saying that there is nothing better than beating Canada in Canada, and Nail Yakupov being really happy about beating Canada in WJ) I sense that Russia views Canada as their main hockey rival. They may respect the US team as a tough team but not as a true rival (kind of like how Canada views Sweden)
That is only becouse they view themselves to be better than the US, or at least that they know they probably need to beat Canada to win. Plus the 2010 QF of course.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 11:27 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Canada and Russia

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Pikachu
Rookie User

Canada & USA will be the rivalry in the spotlight. Everyone wants to see a rematch between the two, which I think is going to happen honestly.

As an American with Canadian heritage I don't care who wins though.

Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu View Post
Canada & USA will be the rivalry in the spotlight. Everyone wants to see a rematch between the two, which I think is going to happen honestly.

As an American with Canadian heritage I don't care who wins though.
It is understandable that americans and maybe canadians wants to see a re-match, just as i would like Sweden vs Canada or Russia in the final. But it's exactly that, i think the chance is miniscule that it would be both Sweden and the USA in the final, chances are that one of us gets the boot in the quarter finals, or maybe both in the semis which of course would give us a nice game for the bronze.

Old
08-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post
The most emotional games will involve Russia for obvious reasons.

If Russia & Canada meet, it will be the most electric of any potential matchup.

Let's just hope it's not in a QF again
It should be a great Bronze medal game.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 09:51 AM
YMCMBYOLO
Flames Six Show ****

vCash: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Yeah, a Finland/Sweden gold medal game would be something else!

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 10:13 AM
HFX902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
With Finland/Sweden for gold

HFX902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 12:15 PM
jack mullet
@jackmullethockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFX902 View Post
i wouldn't discount Sweden in this tournament at all. one of the top 2 goalies in the world, a current Norris winner, a couple art ross, hart, calder, and conn smythe winners on that roster as well. in a single game elimination, I wouldn't bet against them.

jack mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 12:38 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Personally for me, it's Canada/USA.

This time around, there probably wont be that big "media blitz" or hype around the games like we've seen in years past.

Pretty disappointing, I do think Vancouver (the games were exciting, and the game times were ideal for NA fans) will be the best Winter Olympics I'll see in my life for a long time, unless the games come back to North America sometime soon with NHL''ers.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Pretty disappointing, I do think Vancouver (the games were exciting, and the game times were ideal for NA fans) will be the best Winter Olympics I'll see in my life for a long time, unless the games come back to North America sometime soon with NHL''ers.
I dont know if you are one of those american bandwagoners or if it's just a question of taste, but Olympic hockey is always great hockey.

Old
08-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
I dont know if you are one of those american bandwagoners or if it's just a question of taste, but Olympic hockey is always great hockey.
In North America of course it is not going to be on the same level in terms of viewership and media attention as it was in 2002 and 2010 for several obvious reasons.

In Europe the rating and media attention will be far greater than in 2010 or 2002 I'm sure. It just depends on where you live. The quality of play could be the best yet or the worst, the rating and media attention won't change that. But for Canadians 2010 and even 2002 were really important and special because it was in our country/continent.

Obviously us hardcore hockey fans will all be watching no matter where the game are, but not everyone in Canada will be this time.

Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 03:49 AM
Muuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFX902 View Post
Has already happened in the past, don't see why it couldn't happen again.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 04:25 AM
Slimmy

A Russia - USA final would have to be the most explosive of all matchups. Considering there was some talks about boycotting the games in the USA and the whole Snowden and gaypropaganda laws, Obama canceling scheduled meeting with Putin, talks about cold war reemerging. It's all just silly bs propaganda news but still, it's got people fired up. That's the matchup, beside Sweden, I'd watch intensly.

Slimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Eidyia

Finland - Czech Republic.

Selänne vs. Jagr for the last time on an international tournament.

Personally I'd like nothing more than get back at the Americans for that humiliation in Vancouver. And Sweden is always Sweden. Hopefully we wont meet before the final (this time they wont have Lidström and Koivu wont break his stick).

For neutral fan it's easily Russia vs. Canada, as always. If Finland (or Sweden) wont make it to the finals i hope it's this classic.

Eidyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimmy View Post
A Russia - USA final would have to be the most explosive of all matchups. Considering there was some talks about boycotting the games in the USA and the whole Snowden and gaypropaganda laws, Obama canceling scheduled meeting with Putin, talks about cold war reemerging. It's all just silly bs propaganda news but still, it's got people fired up. That's the matchup, beside Sweden, I'd watch intensly.
That would be interesting, especially if Galchenyuk makes the U.S. team and scores the game winning gold.........

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Shawn Heins 44

i guess we don't really hava a rivalry going on, but it is a shame we (Switzerland) don't play Canada in the group stage. We have looked pretty good against them in the last few Olympics.

Well doesn't matter, we will just kick some canadian a**** in the semis then

Shawn Heins 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 03:15 PM
obskyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
That would be interesting, especially if Galchenyuk makes the U.S. team and scores the game winning gold.........
Galchenyuk is Belarusian, neither him, nor his his father are actually recognized in Russia. Technically he could've been eligible for TR, the same is applied to Komarov, but that's all there is.

As for the topic, it's not even a question. Be that 1954, 1980 or 2054, for Russians there will be only one hockey rival that matters the most. And in 2014 Russia is the host country.

obskyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 04:04 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHLJokers* View Post
I'm afraid that y are right. Finland should brace up for keeping this rivalry alive. Sweden produce so much more NHL-players than Finland at the moment. But seven months is quite long time,,, Hopefully we will see strong team Finland spring 2014
They will brace up. Back in the days (like 80's) Finland was weaker but sure as hell they stepped up against Sweden. Often losing but still over-performing en masse against Sweden and against no one else (well probably against USSR too, but they were so good that the over-performing didn't really show).

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 04:12 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
They will brace up. Back in the days (like 80's) Finland was weaker but sure as hell they stepped up against Sweden. Often losing but still over-performing en masse against Sweden and against no one else (well probably against USSR too, but they were so good that the over-performing didn't really show).
Indeed. While the absolute numbers are heavily slated for Sweden, let's keep in mind that the strength of a squad is only 23-25 players. Finland still has (and will have) enough NHL talent to ice a competitive squad for best-on-best level. And because Finland at least currently has the KHL edge, that talent from east is enough to even the odds for WHCs.

I'm not saying it'll make Finland as good as Sweden on paper, but still more than enough to stay competitive and keep the rivalry in good health.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Erikfromfin

Finland has 3 better goalkeepers to choose than canadas best. and now that lundqvist is playing poor propably 3 better keepers than swedens best. any of those goalies can make difference and win the tournament for the finns alone despite how many good puck moving defensman sweden or canadas forwards or whatever any other team has.

Erikfromfin is offline   Reply With Quote