HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tim Thomas to Columbus?

Old
08-15-2013, 10:33 AM
SkateFreak

vCash: 500
Tim Thomas to Columbus?

Per 25stanley
The article is in French
http://t.co/D3WawozxKZ
Translation:
Goalkeeper Tim Thomas he join the Columbus Blue Jackets? According to Sports Illustrated, this scenario is possible. Since the arrival of former NHL agent, Bill Zito, with the Blue Jackets as an assistant coach, the rumor mill is rife to the effect that Thomas could sign a contract with the team Jarmo Kekäläinen, CEO.

Mr. Zito has been the agent of Thomas, so it may be interested in ogling the athlete 39 years. After more than seven seasons with the Boston Bruins, it took a sabbatical. In it, Thomas was traded to the New York Islanders where he has obviously played any game.

And now, the interest in the Vezina Trophy winner in 2009 is virtually zero. Only a few teams have called on the side of Clan Thomas and the phone did not ring often.

As a possible second goalkeeper Blue Jackets, the main person could not ask for better. He would not have the pressure of playing in a big market and also not too Thomas would dispute meetings.

SkateFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:35 AM
ManofSteel55

Good news for Columbus if this is true. Covers them if Bobrovsky ends up being a one year wonder.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:38 AM
wufuhimself

I think this would be odd considering Bobs is going to start most of the games for CBJ, but maybe Thomas is okay being a backup? He would be an upgrade over McElhinney/Leighton, whoever they are going with as their backup now.

wufuhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:43 AM
ZeroPT
Beast

Doesn't he want a shot at the Olympic team? how is being a backup going to help that??

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:46 AM
WTFMAN99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
Doesn't he want a shot at the Olympic team? how is being a backup going to help that??
No chance anyway. Less chance if he sits home on a couch eating fritos

WTFMAN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:46 AM
Oates2Neely

If he starts outplaying Bobrovsky, things will get interesting..

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:47 AM
sayheykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by wufuhimself View Post
I think this would be odd considering Bobs is going to start most of the games for CBJ, but maybe Thomas is okay being a backup? He would be an upgrade over McElhinney/Leighton, whoever they are going with as their backup now.
Beggars can't be choosers.

sayheykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:50 AM
caley

This is more speculation than rumor, really. It's really just connecting the dots: former agent Bill Zito named Blue Jackets Assistant GM, Zito used to represent Tim Thomas, Tim Thomas is UFA, Jackets have Curtis McElhinney penciled in as their backup goalie...Tim Thomas to Columbus!

It could happen, generally agents DO bring in some of their former clients when they move to hockey management. But I wouldn't be shocked if they only offered him a training camp try-out, or nothing at all either.

08-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
If Bobrovsky gets hurt/sucks early on, I can definitely see Thomas signing here.

As things are now...not so much.

08-15-2013, 10:53 AM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

Its not bad thinking I feel like it wouldn't be wise to dump Bob's into a 60-70 game role unless its unavoidable. I think you make him goalie 1A but don't overload him when its not certain if he is good with that kinda workload. Probably doesn't hurt to have a former cup winning partner with international playing experience to learn from either

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Matt Foley
Living in a van

This isn't a rumor; it's speculation at best. Using the writer's logic, any player who has been represented by Zito in the past who is still on the market could end up signing with the Jackets; why not mention those players as well?

Matt Foley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Flyerss

vCash: 145
if his former agent works for CBJ dosen't mean that he will join them

Flyerss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:59 AM
CamFan81
Derp

he steals the #1 spot by christmas

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

I think it's a smart move for both parties involved. For Thomas, he needs to go to a team where he at least has an outside chance of starting. Those teams are far and few between, I'd say there are maybe 4 in CGY, CBJ, EDM, and FLO. CGY doesn't want him as they are re-building, I think the other 3 would be good fits. In Columbus, you still can't be certain the Bob will perform as well as he did last season. And if he slips, Thomas will be there ready to take the reigns. That's really all he can hope for, because nobody is going to just hand the guy a starting role.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I think it's a smart move for both parties involved. For Thomas, he needs to go to a team where he at least has an outside chance of starting. Those teams are far and few between, I'd say there are maybe 4 in CGY, CBJ, EDM, and FLO. CGY doesn't want him as they are re-building, I think the other 3 would be good fits. In Columbus, you still can't be certain the Bob will perform as well as he did last season. And if he slips, Thomas will be there ready to take the reigns. That's really all he can hope for, because nobody is going to just hand the guy a starting role.
So the guy who just won the Vezina somehow hasn't solidified his starting spot? Interesting.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 11:20 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Wanna solidify your playoff chances? Role out two recent Vezina winners in the East.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 11:24 AM
haveandare

I'd be very surprised if Thomas ever plays in the NHL again. I'd be even more surprised if he has success doing it.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 11:28 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
that is one of the worse translations I've ever read lol

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Well Columbus did say they were thinking of approaching him and Kipper. This was during the Bobrovsky negotiations though and many presumed it was just a ploy.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 11:47 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
So the guy who just won the Vezina somehow hasn't solidified his starting spot? Interesting.
It wouldn't be the first time we saw a one year wonder between the pipes. It was a shorter season as well, it could have just been a very impressive hot streak.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 11:56 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

That would be such a disaster waiting to happen. They just gave Bob a contract worthy of a #1, what if Thomas steps in and takes over because Bob has a down year. Give Bob the minutes you signed him for and let him develop further.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 12:03 PM
DJENTLEMAN
Lost My Avatar Bet

Quote:
Steve Mason won the Calder and was a finalist for the Vezina. Coincidentally, he also played for Columbus at the time.

It's not unheard of, especially with last season being cut in half.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 12:10 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Jim Carey won the Vezina in 1995-96 before playing 100 games.

He was traded the following season in 96-97 and was out of hockey altogether after the 98-99 season. He played 14 NHL games in his last two seasons and 42 in the AHL/IHL.

He also didn't have in starting spot solidified.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 12:13 PM
ttam103

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
that is one of the worse translations I've ever read lol
haha. yeah. and its kind of disturbing that zito has been ogling one of his clients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateFreak View Post
Mr. Zito has been the agent of Thomas, so it may be interested in ogling the athlete 39 years.

ttam103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 12:40 PM
leeroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateFreak View Post
Per 25stanley
The article is in French
http://t.co/D3WawozxKZ
Translation:
Goalkeeper Tim Thomas he join the Columbus Blue Jackets? According to Sports Illustrated, this scenario is possible. Since the arrival of former NHL agent, Bill Zito, with the Blue Jackets as an assistant coach, the rumor mill is rife to the effect that Thomas could sign a contract with the team Jarmo Kekäläinen, CEO.
Sports Illustrated still covers hockey? I can't remember the last time someone quoted them on these boards.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote