HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would Montreal Welcome the Expos Back

Old
08-14-2013, 03:04 PM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrejciMVP View Post
Its great to hear people thinking outside the box, my coworker next to me gets so angry when I mention baseball. He snaps and says this is only a hockey city. Gotta move past this attitude. With a population of 3 million Id be in favor of having all 4 professional sports.
My rebuff to that would be if a city of that size can only support one team in one sport, that doesn't say too much about the city. And as someone that's been there often, they can support much more then just one. With proper ownership (aka not a Brochu or Loria, but someone that knows how to market effectively to the entire region, and can meet the demands of a baseball public that will demand that consistent efforts are made to win, will do quite nicely. Fans in MOntreal have no problem speaking with their wallet. Give them a reason to spend however, and they'll prove they'll come in droves.

Plus they couldn't play worse then Toronto. :p

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 03:12 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH View Post
Yes it will.
I guess I need to be the cliche here, but what are those Lotto Max numbers for this weeks draw?

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 03:21 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
I guess I need to be the cliche here, but what are those Lotto Max numbers for this weeks draw?
If the new Expos are in the AL East with a new open-air downtown stadium with an owner willing to spend, they will average 25K per game.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 03:22 PM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

Quote:
Thats exactly my argument. No way they average 25k a year. I think 20k is pushing it. I would settle at 15k.
And what do you base your hypothesis on? Because the factors of new team, convenient location(at least downtown was when I was there last; best train/subway system in Canada that I've used), new stadium, quality team personnel (if it is the Rays moving there that is), and 80% of your most played against opposition is about three hours travel time from their airport to ballpark. All strong forces against it.

Quote:
Sure you mention a lot of things that could put them into the green for profits, but with a new stadium needing to be built, I don't want that to be on the shoulders of the tax payers. Profiting 10-15 million a season (if even that) when you want to finance a 500 million $ stadium, that's a long time to break even.
Well first I'm in your boat about no public funding. That ship sailed back with the Nordiques, and with the way things are in Quebec, isn't coming back for a LONG time. But hey, more profit for the owner with additional venues being scheduled with concerts et al. Maybe have the Alouettes move in for additional revenue (and they get a bigger stadium), or get one of the 50 Winter Classics come on in.

As for stadium cost, could you explain how this park...

Labatt Park

would inflate in costs by over 150% in a decade and a half? I'm fairly certain construction costs and land value in the area that a stadium would be looked at have not increased by that much in Montreal (and if they have, please cite sources)

Old
08-14-2013, 03:47 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH View Post
If the new Expos are in the AL East with a new open-air downtown stadium with an owner willing to spend, they will average 25K per game.
So what happens in the years without said new stadium? No fans, no money, lose the team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post
And what do you base your hypothesis on? Because the factors of new team, convenient location(at least downtown was when I was there last; best train/subway system in Canada that I've used), new stadium, quality team personnel (if it is the Rays moving there that is), and 80% of your most played against opposition is about three hours travel time from their airport to ballpark. All strong forces against it.
My arguments are all about the big O. This team needs to operate somewhere while this stadium gets built. From the moment the planning starts, I would say it would take at least 4 years to get built, and even that is very optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post
Well first I'm in your boat about no public funding. That ship sailed back with the Nordiques, and with the way things are in Quebec, isn't coming back for a LONG time. But hey, more profit for the owner with additional venues being scheduled with concerts et al. Maybe have the Alouettes move in for additional revenue (and they get a bigger stadium), or get one of the 50 Winter Classics come on in.

As for stadium cost, could you explain how this park...

Labatt Park

would inflate in costs by over 150% in a decade and a half? I'm fairly certain construction costs and land value in the area that a stadium would be looked at have not increased by that much in Montreal (and if they have, please cite sources)
For the cost, I was looking at the Miami ballpark. Even through all the controversy, it cost them above 600 million. I don't think you can build a stadium in Montreal and not have a roof. The roof technologies are much better than they ever were before, none of this ****** big O retractable roof. Put the roof on rails and slide open and closed. I would have to work on the estimating of the new ballpark, and if I do, I will let you know

Old
08-14-2013, 05:22 PM
HabsByTheBay

Expos averaged under 15K once before they hit the death spiral in 1998.

The team was gone after Labatt Park failed and the team was sold to Loria, judging the team by its attendance after that time is pointless. 3,000 people went to the last Brooklyn Dodger game because going to see a team that's moving is a sucker move.

The Expos were a sensation when they started, they were a sensation in the late 70s/early 80s when they were one of the best teams in baseball and they were going to be huge in 1994. They averaged 30K a game from June on, and they would have been selling out the place in September had there been no strike. In a real ballpark instead of a track stadium they'd be huge today.

People acting like nobody cares should talk to the suits, there are some big players in Quebec and Canada working behind the scenes to lay down the foundations for the return of big league ball. Ask yourself why Bell didn't go in on the Jays when they teamed up with Rogers to buy the Leafs.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 05:26 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
NO I do NOT want MLB back in MTL. I have not changed my mind ever.
It's simple, MLB is totally fixed. I will talk about drugs in a sec. By fixed I mean this, the rich clubs own everything. They have the money to just BUY anybody, any player. It's been like this since day one of MLB.
Parity in non-existing. Every year maybe 6-8 teams have a chance, then maybe on a wild occasion a luck team will come from the rest of the clubs to have a great year. That teams only has a few dollars so it will lose almost all it's best players in the years following TO guess who.
I remember the expos. I remember all the MLB promises that were made about parity to the Expos. Promises of 2-3 years to go before MLB parity. LIES ANN MORE LIES. It never happened. It was all lies just to put people in the stands with NO HOPE of winning the World Series.
It's about MONEY. It's NOT about sports. MLB lies to the world and hides behind propaganda.
Need MORE proof? Is there anybody in the world that believs MLB never knew about the drugs..... 50 home runs was great for the ticket gate. Who cares who did what to up the gate. The players are just as bad as the owners. Take NO drugs and you hit 20-25 homers and your paycheck is 2-3 mil per year. Take drugs and hit 50 homers and you get 10years at 20mill per year. Sure cheaters all but the owners are just as bad. The entire MLB is BAD, not every single player but the MLB idea is all about getting YOU to pay for tickets. Sport? this is no sport, this is a fixed game played by fixed players with a huge propaganda budget. Americas Game ! WOW, "say it ain't so'
This is a hilarious post when you consider that if the season ended today Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Oakland, St. Louis and Cincinnati would all be in the playoffs. The Yankees are behind Kansas City in the standings.

By the way, Tampa's put out a good team on NO money since 2008 and has Evan Longoria signed until he's 35 years old. Cincinnati is the smallest market in baseball and gave Joey Votto a 10 year deal.

Times have changed dude, baseball is a more competitive sport than hockey and the NFL, much less the NBA.

Old
08-14-2013, 05:38 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Expos averaged under 15K once before they hit the death spiral in 1998.

The team was gone after Labatt Park failed and the team was sold to Loria, judging the team by its attendance after that time is pointless. 3,000 people went to the last Brooklyn Dodger game because going to see a team that's moving is a sucker move.

The Expos were a sensation when they started, they were a sensation in the late 70s/early 80s when they were one of the best teams in baseball and they were going to be huge in 1994. They averaged 30K a game from June on, and they would have been selling out the place in September had there been no strike. In a real ballpark instead of a track stadium they'd be huge today.

People acting like nobody cares should talk to the suits, there are some big players in Quebec and Canada working behind the scenes to lay down the foundations for the return of big league ball. Ask yourself why Bell didn't go in on the Jays when they teamed up with Rogers to buy the Leafs.
If Bell wants to bring the Expos back, I would totally be behind it. No taxpayer money for the Expos, that is my bottom line.

Old
08-14-2013, 05:57 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
If Bell wants to bring the Expos back, I would totally be behind it. No taxpayer money for the Expos, that is my bottom line.
I don't want taxpayer money either. My only caveat is don't spend any money on the Big O either. The place is a dump and there's been sounds made about another $200 million on a new roof. If that happens there's really no question the money would be better spent on a new baseball stadium or by helping make a new stadium possible through buying land and infrastructure upgrades.

Of course it would be even better used on replacing sewer pipes or hospitals, but just don't spend money on that dump (honestly it wouldn't be a bad idea to just not replace the roof and go open air like it was during the Olympics and the Expos glory days).

Old
08-14-2013, 06:04 PM
HabsByTheBay

By the way, if you like the Expos then definitely follow the ExposNatoon Facebook page. Also, there's a pitch and catch at Jarry Park this Saturday morning with Steve Rogers and les trois lanceurs Québécois des Expos: Claude Raymond, Denis Boucher and Derek Aucoin. Should be really fun, ExposNatoon has done some great things to build awareness and remind people it's still cool to be an Expos fan.

Old
08-14-2013, 06:15 PM
TorontoSports

http://wapc.mlb.com/play?content_id=29646447

watch this if you are an expos fan.

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:26 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
I hope not.

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:17 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

I wouldn't agree to bringing them back either if it would be financed by taxpayers money.

I think the only way it works, is if we have a deep pocket owner and an open-air stadium downtown.

Old
08-14-2013, 08:19 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Bell would be interesting. They do have the money to bring a team back that's for sure but are they willing to spend $500M on a team + another $300M on a stadium?

Old
08-14-2013, 08:21 PM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoSports View Post

Dead link.

Old
08-14-2013, 10:10 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50

I have chills down my spine and a tear in my eye everytime I watch this vid.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
An open stadium would work, but I don't think anyone can convince a CEO of a big company or a politician of it. We need someone very rich that used to be a die hard expos fan for it to work.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 12:30 AM
coolasprICE

List of billionaires in quebec, per wiki.

They are worth 19.85 BILLION.

Less than 5% of this could get us the Expos, without government intervention.....

• Alain Bouchard $1.04 billion Increase 63 Quebec Laval, Quebec Alimentation Couche-Tard
  • Paul Desmarais $4.40 billion Increase 85 Quebec Montreal, Quebec Power Corp. of Canada
  • Lino Saputo and family $4.23 billion Decrease 75 Quebec Montreal, Quebec Saputo Inc.
  • David Azrieli $2.89 billion Decrease 90 Quebec Montreal, Quebec Azrieli Group Ltd., Canpro Investments
  • Guy Laliberté $1.98 billion Increase 53 Quebec Montreal, Quebec Cirque du Soleil
  • Robert Miller (Future Electronics) $1.94 billion Increase 69 Quebec Montreal, Quebec Future Electronics
  • Joseph-Armand Bombardier and family $1.89 billion Increase — Quebec Montreal, Quebec Bombardier Inc., Bombardier Recreational Products
  • Stephen A. Jarislowsky $1.48 billion Decrease 87 Quebec Montreal, Quebec Jarislowsky Fraser Ltd.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 08:08 AM
KrejciMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
List of billionaires in quebec, per wiki.

They are worth 19.85 BILLION.

Less than 5% of this could get us the Expos, without government intervention.....

• Alain Bouchard $1.04 billion Increase 63 Quebec Laval, Quebec Alimentation Couche-Tard
  • Paul Desmarais $4.40 billion Increase 85 Quebec Montreal, Quebec Power Corp. of Canada
  • Lino Saputo and family $4.23 billion Decrease 75 Quebec Montreal, Quebec Saputo Inc.
  • David Azrieli $2.89 billion Decrease 90 Quebec Montreal, Quebec Azrieli Group Ltd., Canpro Investments
  • Guy Laliberté $1.98 billion Increase 53 Quebec Montreal, Quebec Cirque du Soleil
  • Robert Miller (Future Electronics) $1.94 billion Increase 69 Quebec Montreal, Quebec Future Electronics
  • Joseph-Armand Bombardier and family $1.89 billion Increase — Quebec Montreal, Quebec Bombardier Inc., Bombardier Recreational Products
  • Stephen A. Jarislowsky $1.48 billion Decrease 87 Quebec Montreal, Quebec Jarislowsky Fraser Ltd.

great stuff, do we have a good salesman here that can cold call these guys

KrejciMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 08:10 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

This is how much they are worth, not how much capital they can get to operate a baseball team in a small market. None of them could actually consider buying a MLB franchise without some serious loans extended to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
An open stadium would work, but I don't think anyone can convince a CEO of a big company or a politician of it. We need someone very rich that used to be a die hard expos fan for it to work.
We'll happily wait until you find a fool like that... I mean person. Good luck... You're going to need it. By the way currently Bell is more worried about Verizon making an entry in Canada than some ludicrous baseball dream in Montreal.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 08:34 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
This is how much they are worth, not how much capital they can get to operate a baseball team in a small market. None of them could actually consider buying a MLB franchise without some serious loans extended to them.

We'll happily wait until you find a fool like that... I mean person. Good luck... You're going to need it. By the way currently Bell is more worried about Verizon making an entry in Canada than some ludicrous baseball dream in Montreal.
it might be hard but not so impossible if a small group pool their money...

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:57 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post

Montreal isn't a small market - mistake number 1.

But anyway, businesses don't quite think linearly like that. Even if you wanted to act like they did, Bell's interest in big league baseball could easily be explained by saying that since sports TV rights are incredibly valuable and baseball teams make money, investing in baseball is a very good long-term proposition. Much better than trying to fight off Verizon, which is basically doomed to failure in the long-term.

Old
08-15-2013, 01:32 PM
HABSonaroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoSports View Post

Cool link - EXPOS Should have stayed in a updated and expanded Jarry Park - they would still be here

Last edited by HABSonaroll: 07-20-2014 at 11:05 AM.
HABSonaroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 01:59 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABSonaroll View Post
Cool link - EXPOS Should have stayed in a updated and expanded Jarry Park - they would still be here
Billion dollar Olympic stadium completely empty after the Olympics? No way that would of happened, except 30 years later. LOL

Old
08-15-2013, 02:01 PM
LLoyd Christmas I

vCash: 134
If you Google Montreal, Expos still comes up before Canadiens.

If Montreal wants to get back on the North American map, they need the Expos back.

Competing against franchises like the Yankees and Red Sox would bring some real credibility to the city. Hopefully this time, the Expos will be embraced by the whole city.

LLoyd Christmas I is offline   Reply With Quote