HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bring up Strome **SENT DOWN TO B'PORT**

Old
08-15-2013, 06:31 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
also...whose beibg scratched over macd then? the only option to.keep all those guys in yhe lineup is bouchard or strome going to center. i dont see them bumping nielsen down for either...so either strome is playing in a bottom 6 role or mcd is scratched...in this.scenario
I can definitely see Strome playing his way into a 2C and bumping Frans down to 3C. That's if Strome shows he is the best option. I don't see it as "Ninoing" him if Strome starts on the 3rd line. He's gonna have to beat out Regin and Nelson as well though.

nyiguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 06:53 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiguy21 View Post
You should probably mention while those lines were the starting lines, by the end of the 1st in game 2 the lines were Ullstrom-Aucoin-McDonald with Martin-CC-Grabs as the other line. For most of the series it was Grabs-Aucoin-McDonald.

As for McDonald, he won't be losing his spot to Strome imo. A lot of people have Strome pegged as wing, but he can challenge Nielsen for 2/3 C as well. If Strome does make the team out of camp. someone will be shuffled to 13th forward, but McDonald's shown he can play the role the Isles will ask him to play. Wouldn't surprise me to see someone from last year come into camp struggling and start the season in the press box. There is still always the chance of injury as well.
The Isles were remarkably healthy last season. Other than Strait's injury, we pretty much had a lineup that was intact all season. While it could be karma paying us back after a prolonged stretch where the Isles pretty much led the league in man games lost, I like the depth of the roster and the interchangeable of it's parts. JT is the centerpiece, but you could slot quite a few players all around the lineup. That bodes well for guarding against injuries.

The increased competition is great and spots need to be earned. Seriously, to have Alert Five players like Strome and Nelson is the best we've had in a long time. Lee, Sundstrom, and possibly Kabanov could also probably step in if needed. None of them are teenagers anymore either and have had years of development so they shouldn't be shell shocked. The Isles realistically have 15-16 players that could all play in the NHL next season.

The defense is in a similar position too. Donovan and CDH are probably the most ready, but Mayfield and Pedan could make some strides and could possibly step in if circumstances were dire. Finley is the forgotten man, but he's still in the picture. That's about 9-10 d-men that could contribute next season. Again, the depth is there.

Looks like the organization is getting smarter after a FUBAR learning period when the rebuild started.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 07:08 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiguy21 View Post
I can definitely see Strome playing his way into a 2C and bumping Frans down to 3C. That's if Strome shows he is the best option. I don't see it as "Ninoing" him if Strome starts on the 3rd line. He's gonna have to beat out Regin and Nelson as well though.
Me to. I think strome will be the 2C here eventually...I don't think he will start there. You are right, there is some good competition this yr. I'm not convinced strome will make the team out of camp. I think it will either be Nelson beating out regin, and regin and boulton watch games, with Finley being waived. Or regin beats out Nelson and boulton is the healthy scratch and the isles carry 8 dman.

I have a weird feeling Garth wants to see Nelson and Strome together in Bridgeport.
...this is assuming everyone is healthy.

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 07:41 PM
StumpNYI

I think Strome will stick on the wing. Him and Tavares will go down as one of the better pairings in the NHL. Think Stamkos with St. Louis or Getzlaf and Perry. That is how I see it in a couple of years.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 07:55 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
I think Strome will stick on the wing. Him and Tavares will go down as one of the better pairings in the NHL. Think Stamkos with St. Louis or Getzlaf and Perry. That is how I see it in a couple of years.
I think it was ITM who brought it up a while ago, but I think Strome is going to be Couture 2.0 like. He'll start out on the wing next to JT after time in the AHL, establish himself there for a season or two, then move to back to center. It'll balance out the lines and give us 2 dangerous scoring lines ala Pittsburgh.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 09:24 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

It will be an awesome problem to have if Nelson and Strome both show they're capable of playing 2nd line center. Tavares,Nelson,Strome,Nielsen, and Cizikas in the future will be fantastic.
Out of all of them, I think that Strome would do best on the wing, but having that center depth would give a ton of options down the road.
As PW pointed out, when the inevitable injury bug hits, we at least have players that can slot in and have the team still look like an NHL team.

Old
08-22-2013, 08:24 PM
jayck

To which NHL player do you compare Strome the most?! About how is he ge gonna be good?
I'm thinking a kind of a David krejci? Or a smaller kopitar?

jayck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:41 PM
InformTheMasses

Logan Couture....... Kyle Turris

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 08:07 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
You've said this, and I wonder about it. (Not a criticism, more of a request for detail. You know/see far more than I do.) The thing I see is it seems that Strome is good at shooting at various stick and body positions like Couture and Turris (i.e. his wheelhouse is big). But isn't Strome much more of a playmaker than either of those guys were as Junior players?

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 08:20 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I have also seen him compared to Connolly,Spezza, and Henrik Sedin ITM...Thoughts?

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 08:55 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
I have also seen him compared to Connolly,Spezza, and Henrik Sedin ITM...Thoughts?
Seguin perhaps?

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 09:26 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

I don't see any of the comparisons to Couture or Turris or Spezza or Connolly....I see Strome more of a Sam Gagner or Brad Richards type player, closer to Gagner.

Pass-first, great vision, good skater, good agility, good shot but it's his vision/passing and offensive instincts that will make him a successful NHL player.

How good he can be is anyone's guess.

I also think Bailey is a good comparison to be honest. They have very similar strengths and weaknesses and style of play.

Both Bailey and Gagner made the NHL after very successful draft-year seasons in junior. Strome went back (like Kadri) and tore up the OHL after he was drafted so some fans may think that a Bailey-Gagner projection for Strome is way off - but we'll see how this unfolds.

One HUGE difference is that Strome (hopefully) will have a stronger supporting cast than Bailey-Gagner in their first 3-4 seasons!

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 11:56 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Not saying Strome will be this good, but how about Claude Giroux as a comparable? I've suggested this before b/c they seem similar style-wise. BTW, Giroux played wing when he started out in the NHL.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 01:38 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Not saying Strome will be this good, but how about Claude Giroux as a comparable? I've suggested this before b/c they seem similar style-wise. BTW, Giroux played wing when he started out in the NHL.
Samw with me. Always thought Giroux with Strome. Will Strome score PPG+? Eh, possible I suppose, but I think Strome is more a of 70pt guy that plays like Giroux.

Old
08-23-2013, 02:06 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
I was going to include Giroux but it's a little unfair to set the bar that high and Giroux has really blossomed over the past 2-3 years. Their junior numbers are comparable and they are similar in stature and style of play - but we haven't seen Strome as an NHL player yet.

Giroux had ordinary/moderate first two pro seasons and then took off. The max upside for Strome would be in the Giroux level but that is with a lot of luck! Giroux has an extremely high compete level, is a great skater with far better agility than Strome but he's also five years older.

Strome's adjustment to the NHL is a HUGE unknown. Look at how Tavares' game has changed since his rookie year - it's a complete transformation. As his skating and strength have improved, his entire game is new.

I know we're excited to have Strome as an Islander but let's not forget he's only played 10 pro games. Even Giroux was sent back to junior and spent a half year in the AHL before two moderate NHL seasons - that's the norm. We're hoping Strome is the exception but it's HOPE more than expectation, at least as I see it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Nelson on the opening night roster and Strome in the AHL. Especially if Regin is healthy and has a good camp.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 02:32 PM
seafoam
RIP parabola

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Seguin perhaps?
I was thinking Seguin as well, but I think Strome would need to get an exrta gear in his skating.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
I was thinking Seguin as well, but I think Strome would need to get an exrta gear in his skating.
I was under the impression that Strome was really darn quick.

Personally when I think of Strome and more specifically Tavares+Strome I think this:

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Jester9881

Strome plays similar to Jordan Eberle IMHO

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 10:42 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I don't see any of the comparisons to Couture or Turris or Spezza or Connolly....I see Strome more of a Sam Gagner or Brad Richards type player, closer to Gagner.

Pass-first, great vision, good skater, good agility, good shot but it's his vision/passing and offensive instincts that will make him a successful NHL player.

How good he can be is anyone's guess.

I also think Bailey is a good comparison to be honest. They have very similar strengths and weaknesses and style of play.

Both Bailey and Gagner made the NHL after very successful draft-year seasons in junior. Strome went back (like Kadri) and tore up the OHL after he was drafted so some fans may think that a Bailey-Gagner projection for Strome is way off - but we'll see how this unfolds.

One HUGE difference is that Strome (hopefully) will have a stronger supporting cast than Bailey-Gagner in their first 3-4 seasons!
Bailey is actually a great comparable. High end playmaking ability and vision. Underrated and under-utilized shot. Good but not great skaters. Above average defensively. Both started out as centers and both have/will switch to the wing.

I think in a normal situation, or if Strome were allowed to stick at center, he'd probably be a 60-70 point player. That said, I really wouldn't be surprised to see him develop into a PPG player as Tavares' RW.

A bit OT, but one thing that might really help Strome going into TC is the fact that Tavares has always had a RH shot playing on his RW(at least he has for the last 3 years, can't remember for sure but I believe he did back in '09-10 as well with a mix of Okposo, Hunter and Park). If Moulson or Bailey end up sticking on his LW, and the Isles decide that they want a RH RW on that line, that could make Strome a pretty strong candidate. I'm assuming he'd battle with Clutterbuck and/or maybe even Okposo.

I'm not sure how important this is to the Isles and Tavares, but if it is things could get pretty interesting come TC.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 03:12 AM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Actually, I have little belief in both Nelson and Strome being here to start the season.

As others have pointed out, unless we jettison someone completely, we cannot have more than 14 forwards up with the actual Islanders at one time.

I seriously doubt Snow is going to put any of the guys he has under contract now on waivers in order to keep Nelson and Strome right from the beginning, much less someone else like say Lee.

Boulton is the guy who will constantly hang out in the press box. I can imagine that McDonald and Regin will take turns sitting until Regin has either A) shown what he's capable of (a lot actually) or B) Bouchard is injured for an extended period or C) doesn't make use of his opportunity and is possibly put on waivers for the sake of being sent down/have his contract jettisoned.

I just don't think camp is truly used as a testing ground anymore. The team already knows who is going to be where and why going into camp and primarily injuries is about all that'll change that. There's maybe a 5% chance that someone surprises so much (whether negatively or positively) that he changes the team's plan.
Yeah, I tend to agree with you on this. It's going to have to be something eye turning (which I dont' think Strome or Nelson will do) for those guys to make it up here. There will be no forwards from training camp coming from Bridgeport....our defense however, I really hope their is a savior here because nobody seems to miss Streit but I can't see how anybody feels good about our defensive corp going into this season....

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 06:04 AM
rikker
fan since '75.

i think the Couture one is the closest.

J. Toews, minus the great leadership abilities? i think Strome has good leadership, but not great.

then again, i'm basing my opinion on very little information...

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 06:10 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I think it was ITM who brought it up a while ago, but I think Strome is going to be Couture 2.0 like. He'll start out on the wing next to JT after time in the AHL, establish himself there for a season or two, then move to back to center. It'll balance out the lines and give us 2 dangerous scoring lines ala Pittsburgh.
We really have no stud wingers in the system that could play a role as dynamic duo with our top player. The only one with that capability is Strome, and while he would make an awesome 2nd center, give us a powerful offensive 1-2 punch down the middle, the lack of top finishers on the wings of both 1-2 lines would be very limiting.
I see Strome as 1st line wing next to JT to give us the powerhouse offense a true 1st line should bring. These guys will skate 18-20 minutes a game ES & PP. Without Strome centering it, our 2nd line will not be as dynamic as with him, but Nelson centering Okposo and Bailey or Grabner should be a very good offensive line with better defensive capabilities than the 1st. Will skate 16-18 minutes.
The use of Strome is the key to success. Strome is an excellent set up guy who sees and creates scoring chances at high level, but he also possesses an NHL shot and as a winger on JT's line could be our James Neal.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 06:32 AM
Jester9881

Maybe it's just me, but I just don't see the plus defense in Ryan Strome's game. At least not to the level of a Couture or Toews. The lack of strength in his game is another thing that IMO makes those two bad comparisons.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 07:55 AM
jayck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I just don't see the plus defense in Ryan Strome's game. At least not to the level of a Couture or Toews. The lack of strength in his game is another thing that IMO makes those two bad comparisons.
But Strome's younger too! Was Couture stronger at the same age?! I'm not sure of that. I've hear that, yes, Strome dosnt have blazing speed but his first steps are great and he's solid on his skates. He'll have time to learn how play D.

jayck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
....our defense however, I really hope their is a savior here because nobody seems to miss Streit but I can't see how anybody feels good about our defensive corp going into this season....
I'm thinking Donovan has the inside shot. I believe the team is high on him and heck, he's had two 45+ point seasons in a row in BPort and a pretty nice +/- to boot last season.

Seems time to work him in.

With any luck, de Haan shows no signs of set-back from the shoulder situation and can push for a job along the way. I think his skill, skating and pure instincts for the game are already better than just about anybody up on the Island aside from Visnovsky. Maybe Hickey is pretty similar in that department.

Of course, de Haan's looking like a tin-man in the health department, which has set him back considerably to date.

Aside from Visnovsky, Hamonic and MacDonald, it's true that none of the other bodies are screaming about likely success. Most are going to have to show more than they have to date. I guess Strait, Hickey, Carkner, Donovan and Finley are the boys in the group moving forward.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote