HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andrew MacDonald's next contract

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-15-2013, 03:00 PM
  #76
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
If Hickey and Strait can show that they are capable of logging more minutes this year, I would be fine with trading away AMacs rights next June. He is the perfect example of a guy we can't over-commit to.

2014/15 Blueline
Big Griff - Hamonic
Hickey - Vis (or potential UFA)
Strait - Donovan

And...

DeHaan/Mayfield/Pedan/Pulock/Pokka/Pelech will be waiting in the wings

So, in 2015 all of these guys will be 1 or 2 years away from potentially cracking the line up as well. Now considering that, do we really need to lock up AMAC for 4/5 years? IF his play drops off like Liles/KOmi/Streit etc, we'll have another buyout on our hands.

MacDonald is a lot younger than Streit, and a lot better than Komi, and more well rounded than Liles. There is no reason to believe that he show the same kind of falloff.

And, I don't think locking up a guy in his mid-to-late twenties for 4 or fie years would be so fool hardy.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 03:00 PM
  #77
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 21,586
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Doesn't matter how many d prospects you have. You don't let high end defenseman walk if you can help it.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 03:50 PM
  #78
deckercky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Doesn't matter how many d prospects you have. You don't let high end defenseman walk if you can help it.
This.

Also...numbers being thrown around are crazy. Unless you believe he's a low end #4, $3.5M is too low. I'd rank him somewhere close to a solid #3, and as a UFA, that probably entitles him to roughly $5M at fair value. If he takes a discount, he signs for $4.25-4.75M.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 04:17 PM
  #79
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Officer Clutterbuck
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Doesn't matter how many d prospects you have. You don't let high end defenseman walk if you can help it.
Thank you for putting my thoughts into words. AMac has been a defensive MVP for three seasons and the type of defenseman that every team needs. Great positionally and ~25 points/season which is solid offensive production. Couldn't ask for much more from a #3 defenseman.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 04:33 PM
  #80
Katurian
Registered User
 
Katurian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Crown Heights
Country: United States
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
Really like AMac. But as our team gets better i don't see a us being able to pay 4 to 5 million for a player of his caliber. He's solid, not good or great. On good teams he's a bottom pairing defenseman. do you pay bottom pairing defenseman that money?

Katurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 04:38 PM
  #81
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Officer Clutterbuck
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Line Center View Post
Really like AMac. But as our team gets better i don't see a us being able to pay 4 to 5 million for a player of his caliber. He's solid, not good or great. On good teams he's a bottom pairing defenseman. do you pay bottom pairing defenseman that money?
With the way Garth has done contracts, I doubt AMac would get overpaid. He'll get 2.75-3.5m/year. For a top-4 defenseman that's pretty good.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 05:34 PM
  #82
Sheva7
Registered User
 
Sheva7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 980
vCash: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Teams that are looking to make serious playoff runs don't pencil in rookie defenseman on their top pairing, sorry.
You're right, they don't. My bad. I got a little carried away there.

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 05:43 PM
  #83
Sheva7
Registered User
 
Sheva7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 980
vCash: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Doesn't matter how many d prospects you have. You don't let high end defenseman walk if you can help it.
So AMac is a 'high-end defenseman' now? I'm not sure how many games you've watched pal, but I can assure you high end he is not.

And I never said I'd let him walk. I said I'd be willing to part ways with him if his contract demands were in excess of 3 or 4 yrs at 3.5-4per. I don't think he's worth more than that, whether prospects are knocking on the door or not.

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 05:50 PM
  #84
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
So AMac is a 'high-end defenseman' now? I'm not sure how many games you've watched pal, but I can assure you high end he is not.

And I never said I'd let him walk. I said I'd be willing to part ways with him if his contract demands were in excess of 3 or 4 yrs at 3.5-4per. I don't think he's worth more than that, whether prospects are knocking on the door or not.
If "high end" means legitimate top 3, then he is high end.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 05:57 PM
  #85
Sheva7
Registered User
 
Sheva7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 980
vCash: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
If "high end" means legitimate top 3, then he is high end.
K call him what u like. All I know is I don't see many teams locking up their no.3 dman for 5yrs @ 5mil per.

IMO He's good, but not that good, that's all. My opinion.

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 06:03 PM
  #86
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
With the way Garth has done contracts, I doubt AMac would get overpaid. He'll get 2.75-3.5m/year. For a top-4 defenseman that's pretty good.
I'd be shocked if he got him to take under 3.5, I know Snow has been good with contracts but MacDonald's an UFA unlike most of the guys Snow has signed to cheap, long term contracts. I'm going to guess at a 5 year deal at 3.5 - 4.25, he'd be in his early 30s when that deal expires so could have another shot at earning a decent contract when that deal runs out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Line Center View Post
Really like AMac. But as our team gets better i don't see a us being able to pay 4 to 5 million for a player of his caliber. He's solid, not good or great. On good teams he's a bottom pairing defenseman. do you pay bottom pairing defenseman that money?
I don't see anyone shifting him out of the Isles top 4 within the next two years, I can't think of many teams he'd be on the bottom pairing.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 06:43 PM
  #87
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,134
vCash: 50
MacDonald is my ideal number three. He can play in all situations and step into a top pairing role easily. I'd try all I could if I were Garth to get him to sign for under 4 but given the market that's going to be hard. Wonder how much term is going to change the per year.

But Mac is someone you definitely need to re-sign. I honestly can't see demands getting out of hand so I don't think he gets let go. No one is going to be able to step in the season after this one and take his minutes because the most immediate ready in Donovan and Hickey won't be able to make up for his D game. Reinhart isn't 2 seasons away from playing 23 minutes. Just can't afford to let him go.

5 years 3.75 million per for me.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 07:27 PM
  #88
Sheva7
Registered User
 
Sheva7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 980
vCash: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
MacDonald is my ideal number three. He can play in all situations and step into a top pairing role easily. I'd try all I could if I were Garth to get him to sign for under 4 but given the market that's going to be hard. Wonder how much term is going to change the per year.

But Mac is someone you definitely need to re-sign. I honestly can't see demands getting out of hand so I don't think he gets let go. No one is going to be able to step in the season after this one and take his minutes because the most immediate ready in Donovan and Hickey won't be able to make up for his D game. Reinhart isn't 2 seasons away from playing 23 minutes. Just can't afford to let him go.

5 years 3.75 million per for me.


Carl Gunnarsson plays first pairing on the Leafs (who finished ahead of us) and averages about 22mins a night. He signed a 3yr deal @ 3.15per last month.

Should we expect Garth to offer Amac something similar?

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 09:03 PM
  #89
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,134
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
Carl Gunnarsson plays first pairing on the Leafs (who finished ahead of us) and averages about 22mins a night. He signed a 3yr deal @ 3.15per last month.

Should we expect Garth to offer Amac something similar?
Was Gunnarsson an upcoming UFA? I thought he was younger.

Gunnarsson was an RFA when he signed. Big difference.


Last edited by Kevin27nyi: 08-15-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:18 PM
  #90
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Officer Clutterbuck
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I'd be shocked if he got him to take under 3.5, I know Snow has been good with contracts but MacDonald's an UFA unlike most of the guys Snow has signed to cheap, long term contracts. I'm going to guess at a 5 year deal at 3.5 - 4.25, he'd be in his early 30s when that deal expires so could have another shot at earning a decent contract when that deal runs out.
True, but honestly as long as he doesn't get $4.5m/year he's getting fair value. I just want him re-signed.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 11:16 PM
  #91
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Line Center View Post
Really like AMac. But as our team gets better i don't see a us being able to pay 4 to 5 million for a player of his caliber. He's solid, not good or great. On good teams he's a bottom pairing defenseman. do you pay bottom pairing defenseman that money?
Somehow Amac has handled 23:30 per game over the last 3 years and looked pretty good (IMO) doing so. That doesn't sound like a bottom pair d-man to me. YMMV.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 01:35 AM
  #92
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 21,586
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
So AMac is a 'high-end defenseman' now? I'm not sure how many games you've watched pal, but I can assure you high end he is not.

And I never said I'd let him walk. I said I'd be willing to part ways with him if his contract demands were in excess of 3 or 4 yrs at 3.5-4per. I don't think he's worth more than that, whether prospects are knocking on the door or not.
Not many, but I'm only going off what Isle fans are saying. If he's really a #3 defenseman, you don't go cheap. 4.5+ easy.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 11:27 AM
  #93
Riseonfire
R+L=J
 
Riseonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Not many, but I'm only going off what Isle fans are saying. If he's really a #3 defenseman, you don't go cheap. 4.5+ easy.
I still can't believe some Islander fans are fine with letting him go... Pay him whatever he wants and try to avoid the NTC if you can.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 02:33 PM
  #94
Boondock
Registered User
 
Boondock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,617
vCash: 500
I really like AMac, and think he is being under-valued by a lot of Islander fans if they really believe they can re-sign their ice time and short handed ice time leader for less then $4million per. I did some looking around and the best comparison I was able to come up with is M.E. Vlasic. Similar age, style of play, role, etc. Vlasic just re-signed for 4.25 for 5 years with the sharks. Seeing as AMac is probably more important to the Islanders then Vlasic is to the Sharks and that AMac's contract will be 1.5 season's later I cant see him signing for any less then Vlasic and probably a little more. I predict about 5 yrs @ $4.5 per.

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 04:11 PM
  #95
Sparksrus3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,085
vCash: 500
Without comparison this guy has got to make the the least $$$ per minutes played in this league. I guess he signed for the 4 years 2.2 mill for a little security. Bad timing I guess. He is far from great, sometimes even not so good but if he was 2nd pair 19-20 min or 3rd pair 12-15 min I think he would show great improvement and the negative posts would be less and less. That said do the names mark flood, Tyson strachan, and joe piscula ring a bell. Same age range and same salary as AM. This kid makes less than martinek,hickey,strait, ness, Dehaan, Carkner ,hammer, and vis. Lowest paid d on the team. Less than Poulin, McDonald, regin. Pmb makes almost as much this year as his whole 4 year contract. The only non roster player he makes more than is Finley 537,000$. If Jason Clark were called up he would make more than AM. So now Andrew macdonalds next contract as the title says .
I believe he should take the highest bid as a free agent. This guy should give no discount. Do not sign early on extension. If he leaves good for him. That contract should have been torn up . When the boys go out do you think that they all say " we got it Andrew". This guy is currently 5 th in toi in the league.

26 min a game. 82 games
Let's round it to 25 x80 so I can do the math. That's 2000 minutes. 575,000 cancel the zeros
575/2 . 287.50 per minute on ice. He is sooo outa here. Makes the same as boulton. I don't think boulton played 26 minutes all season. us. What's Dennis weidmans deal? That's where I put him contract wise for future.

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 04:39 PM
  #96
capebretoncanadien
Registered User
 
capebretoncanadien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,091
vCash: 500
Andrew is not doing much to increase his value. He has been struggling.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 04:57 PM
  #97
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post
Andrew is not doing much to increase his value. He has been struggling.
I have been tough on him but its also the team and hes asked to do way to much....


On a team with a strong top pair Amac could/would be an excellent 2nd pair#3-4 imo...


I see him making 3+mil also would not be shocked to see something around 4mil....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 06:00 PM
  #98
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post
Andrew is not doing much to increase his value. He has been struggling.
MacDonald has; played solid top pairing mins in the past. He has evidently shown Snow enough because the isles Newsday beatwriter says Snow hopes to re-sign MacDonald. He mention the $3.5m figure.

I am still hoping to see MacDonald get his extension with the isles.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 08:02 PM
  #99
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go
 
canadiensnation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,266
vCash: 500
Alexei Emelin, Dan Girardi, Nick Hjalmarsson are all pretty good comparables, I could see him signing a 4 or 5 year deal worth $3.25-$4.25M.

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 10:06 PM
  #100
capebretoncanadien
Registered User
 
capebretoncanadien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
MacDonald has; played solid top pairing mins in the past. He has evidently shown Snow enough because the isles Newsday beatwriter says Snow hopes to re-sign MacDonald. He mention the $3.5m figure.

I am still hoping to see MacDonald get his extension with the isles.
I know thats what bugs me.

He used to look to me like a second pairing d-man playing a bit over his head as a top pairing.

Now for whatever reason he looks like a third pairing d-man in way over his head as a top pairing d-man,

In a contract year too.

I know he used to pair up with Streit a lot when Streit and Andrew were healthy.

Has the loss of Streit hurt him that much?

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.