HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III: "Hemsky Off The Market" - MacT Presser

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2013, 05:16 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 344
I guess there is that ROR angle as well. Maybe they didn't want to piss Lando off and get him locked up early?

Old
08-15-2013, 06:04 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I guess there is that ROR angle as well. Maybe they didn't want to piss Lando off and get him locked up early?
I'd actually be kinda pissed if I was ROR or Duchene. Colorado tries to pay them as little as possible despite their success, and then hand Landeskog a massive contract based on one good season

Old
08-15-2013, 06:11 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I'd actually be kinda pissed if I was ROR or Duchene. Colorado tries to pay them as little as possible despite their success, and then hand Landeskog a massive contract based on one good season
I guess they changed their philosophy when they made management changes this summer

Old
08-15-2013, 11:39 PM
4040tee

vCash: 500
Joe Colborne: The 2C Adventure

The leafs recently signed one of their prospects Joe Colborne to a one year deal. Colborne played for the Marlies mostly over the course of the last three years and coach Eakins may be familiar with him. IMO he could be a possible solution to the oilers 2c with size problem if he develops into a decent NHL player. (Of course barring an improvement this year from Gagner) Hes got the skill to play with a guy like Yaks and not hold him back and the big knock on him is his footspeed.

With that said, are there any other prospects similar to Colborne on other teams around the NHL? Players who are not too highly touted but have skill and top-6 potential as well as size.

Old
08-15-2013, 11:47 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Colborne has taken a while to develop, and really hasn't set the world on fire in the AHL....i'd say more suspect than prospect for a 2nd center right now. likely a bottom 2 line center if he ever makes the NHL.

Old
08-16-2013, 12:24 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

He'll be lucky to make it as a 4C at this point.

Old
08-16-2013, 12:25 AM
topchowda

I'd take him over lander but at this point he'd be lucky to be a 3c.

Old
08-16-2013, 12:56 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

I'd defer to Eakins on this one if I were MacT, if he hits waivers and Eakins believes in him we should take a chance on him if we can fit him under the cap.

08-16-2013, 01:14 AM
okgooil

I would take him for sure. However, he is anything but a sure bet. I think he has one more year to show he can put up points in the AHL or I would call him a bust.

Old
08-16-2013, 01:14 AM
Bergeron47

What about Nick Schultz for Ryan Malone? God knows Tampa needs an experienced defensive defenceman and we need a power forward that can play in the top 9. Malone cost 1mil more than Schultz, his downside is that he's got one more year left on his contract after this one. Can we afford him after this year? If not, compliance buyout?

Hall-RHN-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Malone-Gordon-Hemsky

If Lander puts up the numbers in OKC, put him in for Gordon and make a 4th line checking line of Smyth/Joensuu-Gordon-Jones

Old
08-16-2013, 01:16 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

He's not a 2C, that said I'll take him in our bottom 6 over the likes of Ryan Smyth and Mike Brown any day of the week.

Old
08-16-2013, 01:53 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
What about Nick Schultz for Ryan Malone? God knows Tampa needs an experienced defensive defenceman and we need a power forward that can play in the top 9. Malone cost 1mil more than Schultz, his downside is that he's got one more year left on his contract after this one. Can we afford him after this year? If not, compliance buyout?

Hall-RHN-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Malone-Gordon-Hemsky

If Lander puts up the numbers in OKC, put him in for Gordon and make a 4th line checking line of Smyth/Joensuu-Gordon-Jones
IIRC Malone has a NTC so he's have to be alright with coming here. And I'm not sure that we can afford the extra cap hit TBH, we're getting pretty damn close to the cap as it is. I'd do it if we could shed Hemsky for futures or a cheap contract.

Old
08-16-2013, 02:00 AM
Lion

If hes our 2C, I'm becoming a Flames fan.

Old
08-16-2013, 02:12 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
Colborne has taken a while to develop, and really hasn't set the world on fire in the AHL....i'd say more suspect than prospect for a 2nd center right now. likely a bottom 2 line center if he ever makes the NHL.
go to the main trade board with that idea. Leaf fans at the draft time were saying he was worth the Nurse pick and is a can't miss prospect. I agree, he has developed slowly, but at 6 foot 4 that happens. The fact that this discussion is about trading for him and making him our second line center sort of would mean some people here think that is what he could be and therefore, the cost would go up

Old
08-16-2013, 02:55 AM
Apocalyptic Mist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
go to the main trade board with that idea. Leaf fans at the draft time were saying he was worth the Nurse pick and is a can't miss prospect. I agree, he has developed slowly, but at 6 foot 4 that happens. The fact that this discussion is about trading for him and making him our second line center sort of would mean some people here think that is what he could be and therefore, the cost would go up
Honest question...You believe he is worth Nurse?

Old
08-16-2013, 02:57 AM
Cerebral

I actually still see a lot of potential in Joe Colborne. He has struggled with a bad wrist injury for the past two seasons and finally started to get healthy later this year. He actually had a 11 game stretch early in the season where he went pointless for the Marlies which makes his 42 points in 65 games a little more impressive. From January onwards, Colborne had 12 goals and 32 points in 36 games. That certainly doesn't scream automatic top 6 player or anything but he definitely has more offensive upside than it seems.

I would be fully in favour of bringing Colborne in to battle with Lander for the 4th line centre spot but I can't see any reason why the Leafs would want to move him.

08-16-2013, 03:07 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

I'd like Colburne on the Oilers... if the cost isn't too high (but I'd still be willing to give up a decent asset to acquire him). He's certainly worth taking a shot at to increase the current mediocre C depth on the team.

Old
08-16-2013, 03:19 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalyptic Mist View Post
Honest question...You believe he is worth Nurse?
Oh hell no. I was simply saying that at the draft, some leaf fans were saying that was going to be the cost to get Colborne. I think he tops out as a 3rd line center. Many scouts compare him to Jason Bonsignore because he comes from an upper middle class family and sometimes lacks heart for the game

Old
08-16-2013, 03:41 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4040tee View Post
The leafs recently signed one of their prospects Joe Colborne to a one year deal. Colborne played for the Marlies mostly over the course of the last three years and coach Eakins may be familiar with him. IMO he could be a possible solution to the oilers 2c with size problem if he develops into a decent NHL player. (Of course barring an improvement this year from Gagner) Hes got the skill to play with a guy like Yaks and not hold him back and the big knock on him is his footspeed.

With that said, are there any other prospects similar to Colborne on other teams around the NHL? Players who are not too highly touted but have skill and top-6 potential as well as size.
A player they should go after instead of a Colborne who's hit or miss, is the purple telletubby himself. Riley Sheahan is gonna be a 2 or 3 in this league and he is the exact type of guy they need to go after. And you know he's never gonna get in trouble again after that embarrassing moment.

Old
08-16-2013, 03:49 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Malone would be a good pickup for the Oilers.

My philosophy would be to spend to the cap max and worry about cap issues when they arise down the line... sure you may have to make some tough choices and cut some decent secondary players because of the cap... but if you have a solid roster in place each season with the right mix of players.. you give the team the maximum chance to actually win and do something instead of playing it safe capwise and staying with a mediocre mix of players.. never fully addressing the obvious holes in the roster.

Look at the Chicago model... always seem to be in some form of cap trouble and shedding some decent players each season but always competitive as well. That's what I'd like the Oilers to do... they can always keep the core together... it's just the secondary players that would have to be moved.

Old
08-16-2013, 04:44 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
They have an out though. They can pull the "last regime" argument even though it's really the same upper mgmt. The Avs are a train wreck waiting to happen. Roy is going to be a horrible coach at the NHL level, they have little quality in their organization and they took a player #1 overall who is a C which is the only strength in their organization but they're locked into Duchene, ROR, and Stastny is worth little to nothing cause of his UFA and contract.

So basically they have Four Cs who they can't turn into other assets, Landeskog, a coach who was hired because of his name who's a nutbag to begin with, a manager who is inexperienced and a weak to horrible prospect pool with one D who's NHL caliber to begin with. Passing on Jones was incredibly short sighted. Barrie is legit but you watch how bad Siemens is going to be. The Avs are in for a long, long rebuild here with no end in sight.

Old
08-16-2013, 05:02 AM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
Colborne is on a one way deal...so he gets a spot in the NHL or gets waived. Simple as that.

I have an interest in him for a bottom 6 role. I dont think he really uses his size but from the Marlies playoffs i think Eakins trusted him quite a bit the last two runs.

MacT has shown already that Eakins has pull on what MacT will do in player and staff signings/acquisitions. If Eakins really likes this kid we may see him as an Oiler soon.

As far as other guys who are prospects of interest in a C role. Keep looking at the same team and look at their 1st round pick this summer. Gauthier was, to me, the most intriguing player in the draft and they took him at a good spot. He COULD be a homerun. Ive seen him play and love his skill and size. He is still growing and tthe awkwardness of that shows. He will need at least two years of development and patience but i think he has the work ethic and fear of god to live up to some of the projections people have placed on him. If he was chosen more than 5 picks ahead of where he was i would think it a huge gamble but he was picked in the right spot IMHO. He has huge upside but NHL drafts guys so early. It made me immediately think of Colborne... a guy awkward in his size and still growing when drafted. decent skill set. good, receptive hockey mind. decent character. I think guys his size sometimes have an easy time posting pointws in the Q... that is an issue. We will see.

As a side note there was a thread about acquiring Dion and Colborne for Klefbom, N.Schultz and a 1st. I thought the first was a bit much but we spent our 2nd already so i thought it was close value.

Last edited by oilinblood: 08-16-2013 at 05:23 AM.
Old
08-16-2013, 05:15 AM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
Colborne is on a one way deal...so he gets a spot in the NHL or gets waived. Simple as that.

I have an interest in him for a bottom 6 role. I dont think he really uses his size but from the Marlies playoffs i think Eakins trusted him quite a bit the last two runs.

MacT has shown already that Eakins has pull on what MacT will do in player and staff signings/acquisitions. If Eakins really likes this kid we may see him as an Oiler soon.

As a side note there was a thread about acquiring Dion and Colborne for Klefbom, N.Schultz and a 1st. I thought the first was a bit much but we spent our 2nd already so i thought it was close value.
That would be catastrophically disastrous. Klefbom is going to be a top pairing defenseman for a LONG time. I'd drop this team like a rock if they trade Klef for ****ing Diva Dion. I'll become a Flames fan, myself. They better not even THINK of trading Klefbom. He's going to blow everyone's brains through the backs of the heads with his vision and skill set. Just all you doubters wait. It might not be this season, but probably next season.

Old
08-16-2013, 05:19 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post

Klefbom will be to us what OEL is to Phoenix. He is a good two way D-man that can haul lots of minutes. Dion is easy to play against and walk over

Old
08-16-2013, 05:21 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

ROR can not be traded until Feb of 2014

Closed Thread