HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III: "Hemsky Off The Market" - MacT Presser

Closed Thread

Old
08-16-2013, 04:42 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 999
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
Klefbom will be to us what OEL is to Phoenix. He is a good two way D-man that can haul lots of minutes. Dion is easy to play against and walk over
Amen. The doubters will see in time. Klefbom is going to be our best defenseman by a MILE within 2-3 seasons, and some people want to trade him off? Do these people not know anything about Klefbom or have done their homework? Absurd.

Old
08-16-2013, 05:06 AM
bozwell
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 5007
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Amen. The doubters will see in time. Klefbom is going to be our best defenseman by a MILE within 2-3 seasons, and some people want to trade him off? Do these people not know anything about Klefbom or have done their homework? Absurd.
Klefbom has shown at every level, playing against older and more experience players he has game. Klefbom and Schultz will be out top pairing within in two years

Old
08-16-2013, 05:13 AM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
go to the main trade board with that idea. Leaf fans at the draft time were saying he was worth the Nurse pick and is a can't miss prospect. I agree, he has developed slowly, but at 6 foot 4 that happens. The fact that this discussion is about trading for him and making him our second line center sort of would mean some people here think that is what he could be and therefore, the cost would go up
As of right now there is no way he is worth a first rounder in any draft let alone a high first in a draft as deep as last year's.

Colborne is 23 years old, waiver eligible and is no better than a 50-50 chance of making the Leafs as a #4C or press box guy.

If he does get waived I'd be happy picking him up but right now his role is more a #4C.

Old
08-16-2013, 05:39 AM
hellacious

he is bigger then Gagner so that means he is better? not. even lander is better then that over hyped failure.

Old
08-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Klefbom will be to us what OEL is to Phoenix. He is a good two way D-man that can haul lots of minutes. Dion is easy to play against and walk over
Yikes, I'm just going to stick with a more temperate projection and say Alex Edler so I don't end up disappointed.

Old
08-16-2013, 08:23 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Malone would be a good pickup for the Oilers.

My philosophy would be to spend to the cap max and worry about cap issues when they arise down the line... sure you may have to make some tough choices and cut some decent secondary players because of the cap... but if you have a solid roster in place each season with the right mix of players.. you give the team the maximum chance to actually win and do something instead of playing it safe capwise and staying with a mediocre mix of players.. never fully addressing the obvious holes in the roster.

Look at the Chicago model... always seem to be in some form of cap trouble and shedding some decent players each season but always competitive as well. That's what I'd like the Oilers to do... they can always keep the core together... it's just the secondary players that would have to be moved.
While I agree, I don't know how much it helps us as a whole. I think Schultz is needed on our d just as much as he would be in TB. We aren't dealing from a position of luxury where we have an excess of guys that have played top 4 lately. Now if come the 20 game mark, we realize we don't need him anymore then sure, but with all the wild cards on that back end I'm not trading away a d-man that had half an off year.

Old
08-16-2013, 09:01 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I'd defer to Eakins on this one if I were MacT, if he hits waivers and Eakins believes in him we should take a chance on him if we can fit him under the cap.
Pretty much this.

Old
08-16-2013, 09:14 AM
ManofSteel55

Lander is better than Colborne, so if we're looking for a prospect to take over that role, let's at least look for one who is an upgrade. I don't know what might be out there, but I would think that if many prospect centers were available, we'd be trying to get one.

Old
08-16-2013, 09:15 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Let's not over rank the kid. He's a great prospect and should be a good player for us, but OEL is a top 10 d-man. Let's not make such outlandish claims.

Old
08-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
We should try and get Mark McNeill out of CHI..

Local kid who is deep down the list of prospects for CHI.

As per a poll on CHI board, only 1 Dman cracked the top 10 prospect list for them with McNeill being ranked #9.

Give them a Musil, Gernat or Fedun and grab this kid.

Old
08-16-2013, 09:52 AM
joestevens29

Actually I wonder now, is Colborne even going on waivers if he gets sent to the Marlies?

Old
08-16-2013, 10:01 AM
bozwell
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 5007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post

As per a poll on CHI board, only 1 Dman cracked the top 10 prospect list for them with McNeill being ranked #9.

While I would like to add a center, I would like to add a center with NHL experience or close to be nhl ready. The hawks boards I go suggest he is 2 to 3 years away from being ready

Old
08-16-2013, 10:04 AM
joestevens29

Quote:

They lack centers in the NHL, they have a very solid defensive core of NHLers that aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Unless you are giving Klefbom I don't see them moving a 1st rounder from 2 years ago.

Old
08-16-2013, 10:05 AM
smokersarejokers

Quote:

Is that you Bob Stauffer? I know Bob's pumped this for a while.

I like McNeill and it's obvious that we have too many D prospects and not enough C prospects. He may be a few years away, but he has the skill, leadership, size, and grit that MacT talks about all of the time.

Old
08-16-2013, 10:11 AM
shogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
They have an out though. They can pull the "last regime" argument even though it's really the same upper mgmt. The Avs are a train wreck waiting to happen. Roy is going to be a horrible coach at the NHL level, they have little quality in their organization and they took a player #1 overall who is a C which is the only strength in their organization but they're locked into Duchene, ROR, and Stastny is worth little to nothing cause of his UFA and contract.

So basically they have Four Cs who they can't turn into other assets, Landeskog, a coach who was hired because of his name who's a nutbag to begin with, a manager who is inexperienced and a weak to horrible prospect pool with one D who's NHL caliber to begin with. Passing on Jones was incredibly short sighted. Barrie is legit but you watch how bad Siemens is going to be. The Avs are in for a long, long rebuild here with no end in sight.
I think Mackinnon was the right choice, 3 teams did pass on Jones even though it would have made the most sense for Colorado to draft him.

Old
08-16-2013, 10:16 AM
shogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
Let's not over rank the kid. He's a great prospect and should be a good player for us, but OEL is a top 10 d-man. Let's not make such outlandish claims.
Dmen are to hard to predict at the NHL level but anyone that has scouted Klefbom has loved him. Hopefully his shoulder injury didn't set him back to far. If everything pans out well have an excellent top 4.

Klefbom-Schultz
Nurse-Petry

Old
08-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
They lack centers in the NHL, they have a very solid defensive core of NHLers that aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Unless you are giving Klefbom I don't see them moving a 1st rounder from 2 years ago.
Well if they have good Ds right now then they dont need a Klefbom pushing for a roster spot. CHI wnt be expecting such a great return for him anyways.
There are 3 or 4 other C prospects ahead of McNeill in CHI so McNeill is not the answer to their C issues in NHL.

Old
08-16-2013, 10:21 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Dmen are to hard to predict at the NHL level but anyone that has scouted Klefbom has loved him. Hopefully his shoulder injury didn't set him back to far. If everything pans out well have an excellent top 4.

Klefbom-Schultz
Nurse-Petry
I agree, but claiming he will be a top 10 defender before he even gets a pre-season game is a bit premature.

Old
08-16-2013, 10:24 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Well if they have good Ds right now then they dont need a Klefbom pushing for a roster spot.
There are 3 or 4 other C prospects ahead of McNeill in CHI so McNeill is not the answer to their C issues in NHL.
And as we saw with all our centers, you don't know what you really have. The more bullets the better. Outside of an overpay they aren't moving McNeil for our 2nd class of d prospects.

even the prospects they have above him it could change quickly. Leblanc is 24 just out of College, who knows what he really can do. Pirri is a man in a boys body. Teravainen, is he even in NA this year? Danult, same boat as McNeil just starting his pro career from 11 draft.

Old
08-16-2013, 10:35 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
They may. They are in the position cap wise where they may need a cheap young guy to take a spot next year. Fedun is close to being ready, I'd offer them Fedun and something for MacNeill, if Fedun doesn't end up our #6 guy (which he could, he's good...very underrated I think). I don't see them taking Musil or Gernat though, they will likely want someone closer to being NHL ready.

Old
08-16-2013, 10:41 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
They may. They are in the position cap wise where they may need a cheap young guy to take a spot next year. Fedun is close to being ready, I'd offer them Fedun and something for MacNeill, if Fedun doesn't end up our #6 guy (which he could, he's good...very underrated I think). I don't see them taking Musil or Gernat though, they will likely want someone closer to being NHL ready.
They aren't going to trade away a 1st round pick from 2 years ago for Fedun. They can get guys like Fedun off waivers.

Heck the Oilers are probably going to be sending someone that can play a #6 role in Chicago on waivers this year.

Actually I don't see them wanting Fedun at all. They have Brookbank, Peckham and Kotska as 7, 8 and 9 d-man this year.

Add a few younger guys in Clending, Stanton and Lalonde and I don't see Fedun to CHI making any sense.

Old
08-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I think Mackinnon was the right choice, 3 teams did pass on Jones even though it would have made the most sense for Colorado to draft him.
The other two teams have organizational depth though. The Avs just seem to never make up their minds what philosophy they wanna go with. The hiring of Roy put a nail in their coffin with me. You're hard pressed to come up with a successful NHL coach who was a goaltender, he literally purchased his job in the Q and he makes Bryzgalov look sane. Or at least close to it.

The Oilers even with their self inflicted problems are in much better shape long term.

Old
08-16-2013, 11:41 AM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
The other two teams have organizational depth though. The Avs just seem to never make up their minds what philosophy they wanna go with. The hiring of Roy put a nail in their coffin with me. You're hard pressed to come up with a successful NHL coach who was a goaltender, he literally purchased his job in the Q and he makes Bryzgalov look sane. Or at least close to it.

The Oilers even with their self inflicted problems are in much better shape long term.
I agree

Old
08-16-2013, 12:05 PM
raab
Where's the Heart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
This is more realistic, the way I see Klefbom is a guy who will put up anywhere from 15-30 points and be solid defensive dman. He may be considered our best d man but I think most will put Schultz ahead of him due to the offensive production.

Shogun the likely hood of Klefbom, Schultz, Nurse, Petry all still being with the organization in 4 years is not very likely. I wouldn't be surprised of two of those guys move on by then.

Old
08-16-2013, 01:41 PM
awesomo
HARD!

man you wanna talk about an ugly divorce... alfie, JP Barry and the Sens

Closed Thread