HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

How Improved Are The Oilers.

View Poll Results: How improved are we?
Enough to make the playoffs 57 16.62%
Enough to make us compete for the final spot 184 53.64%
Only Enough to move up a spot or two 80 23.32%
We did not improve 22 6.41%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-16-2013, 12:30 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
For those who need a refresher course here is our division

duck
Kings
Sharks
Phoenix
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
True, but with the crossover possibility, combined with the fact that the Central looks like one of the weakest divisions, I could see 5 Pacific teams making it in next season. Chi and StL are really the only locks in the Central.

I think the Oilers will be in the mix for the last playoff spot in the West next season.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Beerfish

Perron will bring more than MPS at this time. (Not crazy about it long term).

Gordon will be better than Horcoff because he'll come close to scoring as much without the golden plated pp time.

Ferrence will help a lot on the back end as long as he is not asked to do too much. Just his attitude, compete and toughness will help.

Backup goalies are a wash at best or a downgrade.

Belov, Larsen and Grebs are going to be no improvement at all.

Coaching is a huge unknown but I still detest the fact we kept the good old boy assistants.

How much better this team will be will be on another year of improvement of the skilled players and how the defense is handled.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 12:51 PM
MikeModano9

Horcoff was "golden plated" PP time because Nuge and Gags cannot win a face-off to save their lives. If it's the same story expect Gordon to take draws on the PP. Along
With Hall... And sadly Smyth.

MikeModano9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 01:01 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post
The biggest question mark for me will be Coaching, Dallas is an unknown at this level just like Ralph was last year. Inexperienced NHL coach with a young team is concerning. Dallas obviously has some talent but until the players buy in and we see just how his systems are executed, I'm concerned. All this fitness talk that he preaches is great but should'nt he be a trainer then ?? We need a smart hockey mind to coach an NHL team. Tippet or Hitchcock come to mind...

I have the same concern, it's one thing motivating guys that are fighting for their chance at a million dollar pay cheque it's another motivating guys that have enough money to buy countries.

I just look at Nelson, he didn't exactly get the kids to buy into his system while down there during the lockout. But as soon as they were gone he got a lot more out of less.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Yak City

Belov/Larsen/Grebs could literally be playing at a "decent AHL player" level (and I expect at least one of these guys will be able to play at an NHL level) and still be an upgrade on Whitney in the bottom pairing. Potter significantly outperformed him last year!

Signing Ference also allows us to play Nick Schultz (if he starts the season on the team...) on the bottom pairing, where he's still an effective if overpaid player. The difference between a bottom pairing of Whitney-Potter and N. Schultz-Belov/Grebeshkov/Larsen/Klefbom/Potter is substantial.

Yak City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 01:54 PM
oilexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak City View Post
Belov/Larsen/Grebs could literally be playing at a "decent AHL player" level (and I expect at least one of these guys will be able to play at an NHL level) and still be an upgrade on Whitney in the bottom pairing. Potter significantly outperformed him last year!

Signing Ference also allows us to play Nick Schultz (if he starts the season on the team...) on the bottom pairing, where he's still an effective if overpaid player. The difference between a bottom pairing of Whitney-Potter and N. Schultz-Belov/Grebeshkov/Larsen/Klefbom/Potter is substantial.
Defence is our biggest improvement, although we did not get the big stud back there, our depth and potential is much higher with all these additions. The core D has gotten older as well (which was needed)

The forward group has gotten better as well with the (year older) effect. How can it not as the studs are kids entering the prime years.

Goaltending in my mind is same or weaker but that can change quickly either way. We are putting all our marbles on Dub so lets hope he can come through. He did well last year but Bulin was undervalued in my mind as he was a good positive vet to calm things down. Goalie position is mentally challenging and a mentor who has done it all like Bulin will be missed !!

Still can't believe Dallas can turn us around by himself, he needs help and Bucky and Smith are suspect to me (from past years performance). Acton is another fitness guy (i think) so where is our "systems and tactician" guy. Maybe one of these guys are good at that but I don't know enough about Dallas or Acton to be confident.

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 02:01 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

In some ways, I'm surprised the Oilers were ever in the hunt for 8th place, given (1) how bad the defensive roster was, and (2) how bad Krueger's defensive system was.

We didn't get a #1 D-man, but simply improving the overall core and getting a better defensive coach is really going to help this team.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 02:11 PM
oilexport

hmmm, I have critiqued the coachs here pretty good so I googled Acton. He is our technical guy as this article states (from Dallas). I thought Acton was just a fitness guy but I may be wrong. Bucky and Smith are well respected (from the article).

Still concerned but at least I see the plan now...

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...398/story.html

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 02:32 PM
dem

I don't think we did much at all to improve the roster..

Relying on a new coach and player growth. Thanks for coming out..

MacT pretty much failed in his roster overhaul.

Hall - Hopkins - Eberle are going to have to put on a globetrotters performance every game for us to compete.

Last edited by dem: 08-16-2013 at 02:46 PM.
dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 03:15 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
I don't think we did much at all to improve the roster..

Relying on a new coach and player growth. Thanks for coming out..

MacT pretty much failed in his roster overhaul.

Hall - Hopkins - Eberle are going to have to put on a globetrotters performance every game for us to compete.
Ference and Perron are immediate upgrades over Whitney and Paajarvi. The rest of the upgrades are basically addition by subtraction.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 03:18 PM
McClelland

The key is to have a healthy Rnh out there! I cant see that we is gonna win puck battles more then last season or have more puck possession.

The problem that we had last season was that other then the Hall line got slaughtered out there, outplayed and owned.

Thats the problem to have a weak smallish 2th C out there, Cant win puckbattles and cant hold on to it, maybee perron can make his job about possession this season,but who will win the puck for us?

Eakins cant be a downgrade to Kreuger and this young team is 1 year older, thats something positive but i cant see any remarkarkable upgrade on any position other then slightly on bottom pairing D. Perron isnt the fit we needed, another hemsky type of player.

So the hope is on the improvement on J.Schultz,Petry and Nr 1 Rnh, and perhaps some prospect make some noise at the camp.

With no injurys on keyplayers Hall,Rnh,Schultz,Petry,Dubie we can probably fight for the last play off spot.

Look at this ! Thats not the whole truth both i saw it game after game when Gagnerians blindfolded them selves and didnt realized that 2,3.4 th line s ucked 5 on 5.

http://nhlnumbers.com/2013/8/8/weste...ing-team-corsi

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 03:26 PM
dem

Perron is a good upgrade...
..but Ference is not the difference maker we need on the back end.

As long as Smid and Petry are our best defensemen... we are in big trouble.

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 03:58 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

Not at all. It depends on how good the Oilers top 6 can be. At their peak, I expect the top 6 to be able to score their way out of many defensive issues.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 06:12 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I read somewhere Acton is going to be the centers' coach?

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 07:10 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:

What "difference makers" on the back end are realistically available?

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 08:25 PM
Marc08

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
In some ways, I'm surprised the Oilers were ever in the hunt for 8th place, given (1) how bad the defensive roster was, and (2) how bad Krueger's defensive system was.

We didn't get a #1 D-man, but simply improving the overall core and getting a better defensive coach is really going to help this team.
We are no longer using Conference-format playoffs.

Marc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 08:45 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:

I think Ference is going to surprise people. His defensive play is very under-rated, and he's pretty fearless. He'll go after anyone that tries to cheap shot one of our young guns if he's on the ice, and he can hold his own against most guys bigger than him. I think he'll be a fan favorite pretty quickly. My only concern is that he'll try to do too much. If he stays within his game he'll be a nice addition to the top 4.

My pairings prediction:
Smid - Petry
Ference - J. Schultz
N. Schultz - Potter/Grebs
Grebs/Potter

Belov, Klefbom, Fedun and Larson start in the AHL. I expect Klefbom or perhaps Belov to be called up and take either Potter or Grebs place by probably half-way into the season. Nice to finally have some decent defensive depth.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 08:51 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Oh, you know. A dash of Doughty and a sprinkle of Karlsson at the very least. Can't make playoffs without those types. Ference needs to be on the 3rd pairing, too.

That's why MacT gets an "F".

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 08:55 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Oh, you know. A dash of Doughty and a sprinkle of Karlsson at the very least. Can't make playoffs without those types. Ference needs to be on the 3rd pairing, too.

You should probably wait until at least the season even starts before grading MacT. Besides, maybe he's not done yet with tweaking the team before the season starts. Who knows. To grade him now is very premature.

Unless you're being facetious; I can't really tell for sure.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 01:16 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08 View Post
I don't understand how the new playoff format works so I'll just say stuff for the hell of it.We don't care about Western Conference standings anymore. It appears that you want to ignore the playoff race and to focus on redundancy.
I've fixed it for you.

For your info and future reference... top 3 teams from each division + top 2 teams in each "conference" make the playoffs. Not sure why you aren't understanding that. Whether you want to call it a conference or not.. it's still a pseudo conference format where top 8 teams in the East and top 8 in the West make the playoffs.

IT STILL DOES MATTER how well the team does in relation to the other teams outside their own division. If they finish outside the top 3 in their division they have to hope for a wildcard spot. If 5 teams in the Central are ahead of the Oilers and the Oilers finish 4th in the Pacific = no playoffs. Not sure what's hard to comprehend about "conference" standings STILL having relevance but by all means go on and make up anything you like... maybe you have it confused with some sort of fantasy leagues you play in.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 02:10 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Exactly. Just because we need a "difference maker" doesn't mean we can just get one

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 09:53 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:

New Jersey made it to the cup final without any real all-stars on the back end. The guy that played the most for them in the playoffs was acquired for Kurtis Foster, Nick Palmieri, Stephane Veilleux, a second-round draft pick in 2012 and a conditional draft pick in 2013.

The other guy was a 36 year old vet d-man who was talked about being bought out after missing a whole year from a concussion in 10-11.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:

So MacT gets an F because, lemme see if I have this right, he couldn't sign Doughty or Karlsson (or a similar Norris candidate) this summer.

Is that what you're saying?

If these are the expectations of some of the Oiler fans, I really don't know what to say.

No comment would probably be the best course of action for this guy right now, otherwise I might say something that I would regret in the heat of the moment.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 12:12 PM
herashak

10th in the west

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Oilerz

Belov, Nick Schultz and Grebeshkov are our BOTTOM 3 defence.

We have improved.

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote