HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part VI)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-15-2013, 02:16 PM
  #51
superyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
What is the line of demarcation for obstructed seats?
Last season I was told that rows 15 and up will have an obstructed view of the jumbotron and there will be plenty of TVs along the bridges.

superyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 02:33 PM
  #52
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,928
vCash: 50
This just in, Knicks are gonna be playing at least one preseason game at the garden after all. They're going to play on 10/25, 3 days before the Rangers open:
______________________________________________

Account Number: XXXXXX

Dear Subscriber,

As you likely know, the final phase of the historic, three-year transformation of Madison Square Garden is currently underway, and scheduled to be completed in late October of this year. Accordingly, the first 2013-14 New York Knicks home game will be the preseason matchup vs. the Charlotte Bobcats on 10/25/13. Therefore, the Knicks will be playing only 42 games at MSG, not the 44 games (41 regular season + 3 preseason) that were previously invoiced.

To account for this change, MSG will adjust your outstanding balance and corresponding payment schedule to reflect the new 42 game total. This change will be reflected as of today, Thursday, August 15, 2013. You can track your account activity by logging in to your My Knicks Account Manager by clicking here.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me via email yourrep@msg.com or phone 212-465-0000.

Thank you again for your support as a Knicks Season Subscriber, we look forward to welcoming you back to Madison Square Garden for the 2013-14 Knicks season.

Let's Go Knicks!

Your Knicks Account Executive


Last edited by GordonGecko: 08-15-2013 at 02:39 PM.
GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 07:29 PM
  #53
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDRangers16 View Post
One of the worst posts I've ever read on this board right here.
Why do you say that? I see you only have 33 posts. Just some advice, if you want to have any credibility or want anyone to take what you say seriously, then you better elaborate on this kind of post.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 07:31 PM
  #54
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
What's so bad about it? Why is there a common perception that your team loyalty is inversely related to the price of your seats? A die hard Ranger fan can't have seasons on the glass? Are people only true fans because they sit in the worst seats in the house? I never understood that sentiment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Me neither. I know several people who go from working on Wall Street to MSG and are crazy fans.
My guess is he didn't like the part about me telling him to get a better paying job.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 12:23 AM
  #55
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
I've heard worse. ^_^

so we get a new center scoreboard when half the arena can't see it anymore?

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 10:28 AM
  #56
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
I've heard worse. ^_^

so we get a new center scoreboard when half the arena can't see it anymore?

If by half you mean 10%, then yes, that's correct.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 10:35 AM
  #57
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,348
vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
My guess is he didn't like the part about me telling him to get a better paying job.
Heh.

I don't care where I sit at MSG. I just want in.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 11:04 AM
  #58
Krampus
Call me Nils
 
Krampus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 18,034
vCash: 500
Damn, sucks to hear this stuff.
Better go tell my dad that he's not a real fan, since he sometimes has to come straight after work

Krampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 11:08 AM
  #59
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,928
vCash: 50
It would be cool if they gave STHs a tour after the renovations are done before the place opens. Fat chance though, the first opportunity to check it out will probably have to be the Knicks presason game on 10/25

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 11:10 AM
  #60
niinah
Section 214
 
niinah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: White Plains NY
Country: Finland
Posts: 254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
It would be cool if they gave STHs a tour after the renovations are done before the place opens. Fat chance though, the first chance to check it out will be either to be with the press or go to the Knicks presason game on 10/25
Last summer my rep (no longer with MSG) offered to show me around the arena before the season starts. Never took him up on that though. You could always ask your rep?

niinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 11:16 AM
  #61
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,872
vCash: 500
When I was speaking with my rep outside MSG on Wednesday, a lot of them have not even been inside to see the new MSG. We are going to check in with him next month and see if we can check some things out. If you reach out, I'm sure they would be willing to do something for you. I only have a mini plan too. Half and full STH should contact their rep to find a date to see msg prior to it opening for the knicks preseason.


Last edited by mrjimmyg89: 08-16-2013 at 11:27 AM.
mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 01:53 PM
  #62
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
If by half you mean 10%, then yes, that's correct.
It will be more than 10% probably close to 25%

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 02:39 PM
  #63
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,928
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
It will be more than 10% probably close to 25%
Really remains to be seen, the bridges really are way up there against the ceiling. I think it'll be a major distraction for rows 18+ but livable. We'll have to wait and see for sure

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 03:45 PM
  #64
superyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Really remains to be seen, the bridges really are way up there against the ceiling. I think it'll be a major distraction for rows 18+ but livable. We'll have to wait and see for sure
I got invited to see the Leafs finish up practice and walk around the place two seasons ago when the lower bowl was done. From what I heard, it's a hard hat only area now. I'm sure when it's done, they'll let you in and take a look.

superyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 05:18 PM
  #65
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
It will be more than 10% probably close to 25%
Impossible. For it to be anywhere near 25% of the arena that will be affected, everyone sitting in the upper bowl above the 10th row (along the sides, since none of the seats on the ends will have an issue) would have to have their view obstructed. That's simply not the case.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 09:25 PM
  #66
BDRangers16
Registered User
 
BDRangers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 36
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Why do you say that? I see you only have 33 posts. Just some advice, if you want to have any credibility or want anyone to take what you say seriously, then you better elaborate on this kind of post.
You basically said if you don't have a good enough job to afford tickets, get one. It's not that easy. It's true that the biggest most loud fans have been priced out of MSG, and it's a travesty. It will ultimately hurt the atmosphere at games down the line. I understand that it is natural progression, but to say just go back to school and get a job is asinine and offensive.

BDRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 11:17 PM
  #67
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Impossible. For it to be anywhere near 25% of the arena that will be affected, everyone sitting in the upper bowl above the 10th row (along the sides, since none of the seats on the ends will have an issue) would have to have their view obstructed. That's simply not the case.
Ok so maybe 20% But I have heard from many within it will be Row 15 and higher that will have obstructed view.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 11:26 PM
  #68
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,954
vCash: 500
I really think this bridges thing is being blow way out of proportion.

Now of course I dont go to a ton of games and completely understand the frustrations if someone has ST up in some of the last rows there, but the focus is on the playing surface, not the arena. Its one thing to see renderings and another to actually be there. The sight lines are completely different. I would reserve judgement until you actually sit down. It might be a better experience then you think.

Im sure a small percentage of the view will be blocked or hindered, but that adds to the mystique and character of the building. Besides, whatever you are missing on the scoreboard (which is going to look fantastic with an circular top, flush to the ceiling) is going to be on the dozens of flat screens all over the arena, including the ones on the bridges which many fans around the arena won't have the opportunity to have access to at that close of a proximity. It might turn out to be a perk that others STH's wish they had.

If it becomes that much of an issue then those who are upset about it should change their seats or dump them. I know it's easier said than done in some cases (and who am I to really talk) but if shelling out all of that dough isn't worth it then save your money or buy better seats for select games from your fellow members here on HF.


Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 08-16-2013 at 11:33 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 11:41 PM
  #69
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
I can't believe I'm getting sucked into this conversation but...

There are about 14 sections where your view of the entire scoreboard might be affected. Go to the Virtual Venue page on the team website and see for yourself. Lets assume on average there are about 100 seats (10 columns of 10 rows) that have obstructed views of the scoreboard per aforementioned section. That is 1,400 seats in an 18,200 capacity arena. 7.7%.

I can't understand why the inability to see the entire scoreboard is an issue. I think the acrimony is really about some fans "being made" feel like second-class citizens in their own building.


Last edited by Crease: 08-16-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 12:29 AM
  #70
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,954
vCash: 500
Today's pic



From the looks of it they are laying down protective plywood to the cured concrete rink base. I think the next logical step is completing the scoreboard and the rest of the major construction before building the rink and ice layers, which will probably be one of the last things they do.

Can't wait to see that new scoreboard filled out.

Im wondering when they are going to restore the ceiling and paint the support cables (joints), because they still sport that signature Garden purple. They'll need to be changed. I think to black in the renderings. More lighting up there too it seems.


Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 08-17-2013 at 12:34 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 10:07 AM
  #71
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Happy holidays! :)
 
Megustaelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
From the looks of it they are laying down protective plywood to the cured concrete rink base. I think the next logical step is completing the scoreboard and the rest of the major construction before building the rink and ice layers, which will probably be one of the last things they do.

Can't wait to see that new scoreboard filled out.

Im wondering when they are going to restore the ceiling and paint the support cables (joints), because they still sport that signature Garden purple. They'll need to be changed. I think to black in the renderings. More lighting up there too it seems.
Thanks for continuing to post the latest photos.

I feel like they should do the ceiling restoration before fishing off the scoreboard due to the possibility of material falling during the work.

Where the hell has Trautwig been during all of this. It seems like there hasn't been an "official" MSG construction update since around this time last year.

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 11:43 AM
  #72
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I can't believe I'm getting sucked into this conversation but...

There are about 14 sections where your view of the entire scoreboard might be affected. Go to the Virtual Venue page on the team website and see for yourself. Lets assume on average there are about 100 seats (10 columns of 10 rows) that have obstructed views of the scoreboard per aforementioned section. That is 1,400 seats in an 18,200 capacity arena. 7.7%.

I can't understand why the inability to see the entire scoreboard is an issue. I think the acrimony is really about some fans "being made" feel like second-class citizens in their own building.
For me it's as much having to look under the bridge (and the things moving around up there) as it is about not being able to see the scoreboard. I think that could be a big distraction. We'll find out how big it really is in a couple months.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 11:46 AM
  #73
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I think the acrimony is really about some fans "being made" feel like second-class citizens in their own building.
There you go. Thanks for getting it. I fear that what has happened at the new Steinbrenner Stadium is going to happen at MSG.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 12:55 PM
  #74
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDRangers16 View Post
You basically said if you don't have a good enough job to afford tickets, get one. It's not that easy. It's true that the biggest most loud fans have been priced out of MSG, and it's a travesty. It will ultimately hurt the atmosphere at games down the line. I understand that it is natural progression, but to say just go back to school and get a job is asinine and offensive.
Oh, boo-hoo. I am far from wealthy. I have a job that pays well and do other things on the side to make extra money like officiate football and umpire baseball/softball. However, in order to keep my job that pays well I had to take out student loans to complete a masters degree and had to do so in 15 months, so just taking one class at a time and paying for it wasn't an option. The person I was addressing in my post is constantly complaining about prices, real fans, suits, expensive seats and so forth. If you got offended by what I was saying to him, well too bad.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 12:59 PM
  #75
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I really think this bridges thing is being blow way out of proportion.

Now of course I dont go to a ton of games and completely understand the frustrations if someone has ST up in some of the last rows there, but the focus is on the playing surface, not the arena. Its one thing to see renderings and another to actually be there. The sight lines are completely different. I would reserve judgement until you actually sit down. It might be a better experience then you think.

Im sure a small percentage of the view will be blocked or hindered, but that adds to the mystique and character of the building. Besides, whatever you are missing on the scoreboard (which is going to look fantastic with an circular top, flush to the ceiling) is going to be on the dozens of flat screens all over the arena, including the ones on the bridges which many fans around the arena won't have the opportunity to have access to at that close of a proximity. It might turn out to be a perk that others STH's wish they had.

If it becomes that much of an issue then those who are upset about it should change their seats or dump them. I know it's easier said than done in some cases (and who am I to really talk) but if shelling out all of that dough isn't worth it then save your money or buy better seats for select games from your fellow members here on HF.
I agree. I go to games to watch the game, not the scoreboard or the fans on the other side of the ice. Secondly, with the tv's they are putting on the bridges, I will probably have a BETTER view of replays (the only reason I need to look at the jumbo-tron) than I would on the center-ice scoreboard.

IF I am wrong, and the bridge really does impact my enjoyment of going to games, then I will either A) keep my tickets and simply sell them all at a nice profit, if I think there is still a profit to be made or B) cancel my tickets and just take an extra road trip. I only kept 7 games this season since my wife is due in mid-september and no idea if it is really going to be feasible to go to too many games. Neither of us have family on Staten Island, so getting a babysitter may not be easy.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.