HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Claude Giroux: right hand surgery, could return as early as Sept. 24 (post #173)

Old
08-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Baby Face Trilla

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
IM saying this right now. This injury is way more serious than people on here believe. Especially for a hockey player that depends on stick-handling as much as giroux.

As a righty his left hand will be doing the bulk of intricate stickhandling work. When playing hockey your hands are contracted much more frequently than extended. This injury will have no lasting impact on his play or ability.

Baby Face Trilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
IM saying this right now. This injury is way more serious than people on here believe. Especially for a hockey player that depends on stick-handling as much as giroux.
Yup, he'll probably be on LTIR for a couple of seasons then retire.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Face Trilla View Post
As a righty his left hand will be doing the bulk of intricate stickhandling work. When playing hockey your hands are contracted much more frequently than extended. This injury will have no lasting impact on his play or ability.
Do you understand that muscles and tendons have a reciprocal relationship to one another?

I worked with a hand surgeon during a college internship and never do severed tendons return to previous strength levels a 20 percent reduction in strength will be a safe estimation at this point and the effects that has on flexor strength will be felt tremenously.

Put it this way a bicepital tendon rupture can be devastaing on the tricep why? well during eccentric loading of the tricep there is no antagonist support and now the tricep is overloaded to the point where it cant work to its same capacity . So now the Tricep can only handle loads that are lighter hence weakening the triceps.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Baby Face Trilla

Quote:
Do you understand that muscles and tendons have a reciprocal relationship to one another?

I worked with a hand surgeon during a college internship and never do severed tendons return to previous strength levels a 20 percent reduction in strength will be a safe estimation at this point and the effects that has on flexor strength will be felt tremenously.

Put it this way a bicepital tendon rupture can be devastaing on the tricep why? well during eccentric loading of the tricep there is no antagonist support and now the tricep is overloaded to the point where it cant work to its same capacity . So now the Tricep can only handle loads that are lighter hence weakening the triceps.
I do understand that. Twenty percent, very solid estimation. I hate message boards. Have fun at a lot of internships.

Baby Face Trilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:

I worked with a hand surgeon during a college internship and never do severed tendons return to previous strength levels
Good thing they were apparently only damaged, not severed then.

Old
08-16-2013, 11:57 AM
flyersguy33*

Giroux must really suck at golf

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Good thing they were apparently only damaged, not severed then.
Reports stated that the tendons were injured but none were "completely severed" . The only kind of damage that could require surgery would be one in which there was physical trauma to the stability of the tendon. IN order to repair these injuries surgeons reattach the tendons by overlapping which shortens the tendon.

Old
08-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Damn, according to Jtown, Giroux's career is over.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Damn, according to Jtown, Giroux's career is over.
of course not. that would be exaggeration on your part. However the severity of his injury is not as benign as most on here would think. I happen to have a background in this and just thought I would mention how and why it could be an injury that would concern a fan.

Old
08-16-2013, 12:45 PM
paradoxium

Quote:
It's probably a little more serious than people here want to believe, but it's not like his career is over or anything. It's just something we'll have to wait and see with I guess.

paradoxium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
of course not. that would be exaggeration on your part. However the severity of his injury is not as benign as most on here would think. I happen to have a background in this and just thought I would mention how and why it could be an injury that would concern a fan.
It's official. I'm going to drown myself in acid.

08-16-2013, 01:48 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
If he's out for an extended period of time, at least this team has center depth. It won't be the same, but VL, Schenn/Couturier, Couturier/Schenn as 1, 2, and 3C isn't a bad thing.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 01:56 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
It's definitely a delicate surgery that will require precision in rehabilitation to allow for full range of motion in the finger. one is unable to have a full grip, if these tendons are too tight, and he, reportedly, had 4 of them sliced. Roo should go to a certified hand therapist for rehab, not just average facility.

And certainly, a hockey player does not depend on his trigger finger like a sniper does, but improper healing may affect grip and sick handling.

I wish him speedy and complete recovery

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 02:15 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Do you understand that muscles and tendons have a reciprocal relationship to one another? Agreed

I worked with a hand surgeon during a college internship and never do severed tendons return to previous strength levels a 20 percent reduction in strength will be a safe estimation at this point and the effects that has on flexor strength will be felt tremenously. We are talking about 1 finger flexor in coordinated grip, so I think a 20% reduction (if happens) may be negligible. What might be of bigger concern is a full range of motion of the finger to allow for the complete grip closure

Put it this way a bicepital tendon rupture can be devastaing on the tricep why? well during eccentric loading of the tricep there is no antagonist support and now the tricep is overloaded to the point where it cant work to its same capacity . So now the Tricep can only handle loads that are lighter hence weakening the triceps. Not sure I agree with this train of thought, especially for consolidated 5 digits motion rather than isolated arm movement in your sample
But, again, I wish him a speedy and complete recovery

Last edited by CSKA1974: 08-16-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old
08-16-2013, 02:21 PM
jabba2
Just say no to Clowe

The good thing about this is it gives him 5-6 weeks for his head to clear from numerous concussions he's been getting the last few years. Thats a long time to rest and not be on the ice.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
If you don't mind, may I ask what line of work you are in? You seem to have a fair amount of expertise.

Old
08-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Jtown

Quote:
So now we are not talking about one finger we are talking about 4 tendons. just from an anatomy perspective the only way i can see 4 tendons suffering any trauma from something like this is if was near the extensor reticulum area which is superior and medial to the styloid process. If tendons need to be stapled and overlapped flexion will be more difficult since the antagonist movement will be tight.

To think this won't have an impact on grip strength is hard to say at this point. I emailed a hand surgeon I know to ask him about the recovery time, that should give us a bit more insight into the severity of the injury.

Old
08-16-2013, 02:43 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
If you don't mind, may I ask what line of work you are in? You seem to have a fair amount of expertise.
I am a Physical Therapist

Old
08-16-2013, 02:53 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
So now we are not talking about one finger we are talking about 4 tendons. That's what was reported just from an anatomy perspective the only way i can see 4 tendons suffering any trauma from something like this is if was near the extensor reticulum area which is superior and medial to the styloid process. I believe, Homer confirmed your statement- he reported that the injury is next to the wrist If tendons need to be stapled and overlapped flexion will be more difficult since the antagonist movement will be tight. Well, extensors might be working fine and strong, but if range of motion is not restored due to tendons tightening then it's a problem.

To think this won't have an impact on grip strength is hard to say at this point.In a short run, he will definitely lose it due to prolonged immobility of the finger. However, in a long run, it might it might not. I am more concern with full range of motion to be able to close the grip on the stick I emailed a hand surgeon I know to ask him about the recovery time, that should give us a bit more insight into the severity of the injury. I am very optimistic, however about Roo's recovery, because he will be in good hands
Thank you for a great discussion, I just wish it were not about our star player.

Old
08-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Thank you for a great discussion, I just wish it were not about our star player.
agreed. Any surgery you worry about range of motion , scar tissue, infection. But if that 5 week prognosis is true I have to say im pretty optimistic because lord knows it could be a lot longer.

Old
08-16-2013, 03:02 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
agreed. Any surgery you worry about range of motion , scar tissue, infection. But if that 5 week prognosis is true I have to say im pretty optimistic because lord knows it could be a lot longer.
Looks like you and could have had a great conversation over beer.

Old
08-16-2013, 03:52 PM
peacepipe

Guys I work for Comcast as an on call tv technician. My boss has a daughter who's boyfriend rear ended on of Ed sniders daughters about 3 years back. According to him giroux may need amputation of said finger if infection spreads but he will still be able to play possibly next year as one can learn to hold a stick without an index finger. Just cross your fingers

peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 04:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Guys I work for Comcast as an on call tv technician. My boss has a daughter who's boyfriend rear ended on of Ed sniders daughters about 3 years back. According to him giroux may need amputation of said finger if infection spreads but he will still be able to play possibly next year as one can learn to hold a stick without an index finger. Just cross your fingers
It's hard to cross with your ring finger. At least if he doesn't have the finger, he can't hurt it again.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Looks like you and could have had a great conversation over beer.
maybe a better one over 6 or 7

Old
08-16-2013, 04:32 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Seems legit. I'm sure they still stay and contact and all, rear-ender and the victim.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote