HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Niinima so far...

Old
11-08-2006, 01:27 AM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
Actually the one thing going for him is his willingness to battle. He takes bad penalties, gives the puck away, and sometimes makes strange decisions, but he's worked very hard in the corners, blocked shots and taken checks to make a play.

In the big picture, with Bouillon, Dandenault and Cote injured, I'd much rather have Niinimaa instead of Ribeiro and Traverse or Jancevski playing a regular shift.
We're looking at two different players then because I haven't seen him throw a bodycheck since he got here and he never keeps the puck after he takes a hit and usually falls down. I don't see him as a battler like Rivet at all. In fact that's my biggest problem with him, even over the turnovers.

There's nothing good to say about the guy as a player imo. I'm not a fan and I really really really don't like what Gainey has done with our defense. I stay up late thinking about it sometimes (as you can tell)...

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 01:28 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yeah, we could've gotten Hal Gill. Gainey you idiot!
Sure, or one of the other THIRTY free agent defensemen that were out there.

I guess Gainey must have gone to the circus a lot as a youngster though, because he went with the midget instead.

Old
11-08-2006, 01:36 AM
fredez

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
Sure, or one of the other THIRTY free agent defensemen that were out there.

I guess Gainey must have gone to the circus a lot as a youngster though, because he went with the midget instead.
It's a shame that you hate Bouillon only because of his size. He plays a lot bigger than his 5'8" and he's a pretty decent all around defeseman. I think he was top 20 in hits last season too and he's not afraid to drop the mitts when needed. I personnally I'm looking forward to see him back in the lineup.

And Bouillon >>>>>>>>>>>>> Hal Gill. You are probably in love with his size, but he's just a big untalented cone in my eyes.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 01:40 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredez View Post
It's a shame that you hate Bouillon only because of his size. He plays a lot bigger than his 5'8" and he's a pretty decent all around defeseman. I think he was top 20 in hits last season too and he's not afraid to drop the mitts when needed. I personnally I'm looking forward to see him back in the lineup.

And Bouillon >>>>>>>>>>>>> Hal Gill. You are probably in love with his size, but he's just a big untalented cone in my eyes.
I was talking about Samsonov. I like Bouillon, but considering our average defense, we could have used an upgrade on D instead of signing Sammy, Ribs and Bouillon.

Then just give the other spot up front to Kostitsyn or move Perez up and play Murray and Downey more.

Instead we got smaller everywhere and retain our weakness on D and now have the added pleasure of watching Niinimaa every night.

Also, signing a D would have given us more leverage for the next offseason when Markov, Rivet and Souray are all UFA.

And Markov can't be happy that he has no help yet again.

Old
11-08-2006, 01:49 AM
fredez

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
I was talking about Samsonov. I like Bouillon, but considering our average defense, we could have used an upgrade on D instead of signing Sammy, Ribs and Bouillon.

Then just give the other spot up front to Kostitsyn or move Perez up and play Murray and Downey more.

Instead we got smaller everywhere and retain our weakness on D and now have the added pleasure of watching Niinimaa every night.

Also, signing a D would have given us more leverage for the next offseason when Markov, Rivet and Souray are all UFA.

And Markov can't be happy that he has no help yet again.
I agree on the Niinimaa part, I'm scared on most of his shifts. Sometimes he makes good plays but sometimes he makes awful decisions.

But overall, our D has been good this year. Markov and Souray are pretty much both on pace to have a career year. It will be tough to sign them both but I think it's possible.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 03:41 AM
Mr. Hab

Bouillon...

He's a solid tank. I've seen him in person...he looks more like 5'10" and he really is about 195 lbs. Built like a fridge!!

He has a heart of a warrior. Skates darn well (very mobile, fast). Will protect the puck along boards and skate away with it...

Even the Carolina players during the playoffs were talking about him...
He was our best defensive defenseman in the '06 playoffs. I'm glad he's a Hab.

Bouillon has a heart of a lion: He's a way better, faster, cleaner/classier version of Kaspairitis.

I'd take Bouillon over 2 Hal Gills anyday.

Come back soon, Bouillon. Get well soon.

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 04:10 AM
mad_hab'er

It's the same old, same old in regards to Ribeiro around here. You either love him or hate him... personally, I liked the flashes of greatness he showed from time to time.

At the end of the day, he was more hassel than he was worth... period.

Montreal brass went out and put former Habs captains & champions behind the bench to bring another championship back to Montreal.

Guys like Ribeiro & Theodore might go on to be part of championship teams but in Montreal, they were just baggage.

As far as Niinnima goes, I agree with what most other hockey smart posters are saying - we needed a dman and management felt Ribeiro was expendable.

Therefore the trade makes perfect sense and the Habs are off to a great start.

I will be glad to see Streit waived once Bouillon and Dandy are healthy...

sidenote: I can't believe Carbo paired Streit with Niinima tonight.

mad_hab'er is offline   Reply With Quote