HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Need help buying a new HDTV

Old
11-08-2006, 08:18 AM
CanFan05

vCash: 500
OT - Need help buying a new HDTV

Hey guys,

I'm planning to buy a new TV this coming March and I wanted to know if you guys could help me out a bit. I started browsing models and checking out Futureshop and other electronic stores but there's so many things to think about that I wanted a second non-biased opinion...

I have more or less a 2000$ budget and I heard that plasma is the way to go...

Help!!

CanFan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 08:30 AM
habfan4

You will have to bump up your budget to get a decent plasma.

You're not giving the HD TV guys on the board much to go on. i.e. What size are you looking at? If you're looking at a 40' set or larger you'll want plasma, smaller and LCD is probably the way to go.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 08:37 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanFan05 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm planning to buy a new TV this coming March and I wanted to know if you guys could help me out a bit. I started browsing models and checking out Futureshop and other electronic stores but there's so many things to think about that I wanted a second non-biased opinion...

Help!!
I bought an LG 37" LCD about 6 months ago and been totally please with it. At this point you can get the 42" for 2k.

Pros:

-Nice look to the TV
-2 year warranty (only LG provides this)
-great HD quality

Cons:

-only one HDMI input
-not one of the "big" names, although LG is the largest maker of flat panel TV;s in the world.

Check them out.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 08:38 AM
CanFan05

Well i'd like 40 inch and up. I could bump up my budget to 2500$...I saw a Panasonic 42 inch display on tigerdirect for 1800$ so i guessed that 2000$ could get me a good plasma screen

Old
11-08-2006, 08:39 AM
CanFan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
I bought an LG 37" LCD about 6 months ago and been totally please with it. At this point you can get the 42" for 2k.

Pros:

-Nice look to the TV
-2 year warranty (only LG provides this)
-great HD quality

Cons:

-only one HDMI input
-not one of the "big" names, although LG is the largest maker of flat panel TV;s in the world.

Check them out.
Thanks man! I'll definitely look 'em up

Old
11-08-2006, 08:40 AM
CanFan05

Is there a BIG difference in quality between a 42 inch plasma and LCD TV?

Old
11-08-2006, 08:48 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Is there a BIG difference in quality between a 42 inch plasma and LCD TV?
Depends on who you ask. IMO the blacks and colours are still deeper on a Plasma than on even the best LCDs. At that size of screen (40" +) the issue becomes price, the large LCDs are more expensive than Plasma at that point.

I bought a Pioneer 4360HD (43' inch) Plasma almost a year ago and I've been very happy with it.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 08:49 AM
GoodKiwi

Well, not to sound like an ***, but by March the entire TV lineup will probably change, so maybe you should wait a little before asking for advice.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 08:50 AM
CanFan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Depends on who you ask. IMO the blacks and colours are still deeper on a Plasma than on even the best LCDs. At that size of screen (40" +) the issue becomes price, the large LCDs are more expensive than Plasma at that point.

I bought a Pioneer 4360HD (43' inch) Plasma almost a year ago and I've been very happy with it.
Is it true that you have to do some maintenance with a plasma TV every 5 years? May be only a myth i guess...

Old
11-08-2006, 08:52 AM
CanFan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
Well, not to sound like an ***, but by March the entire TV lineup will probably change, so maybe you should wait a little before asking for advice.
Yeah LOL. I just want to probe the market a bit to know what I should look for in a TV before I buy one. For exemple, I read that 1080i and 1080p are two different things....

Old
11-08-2006, 08:52 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Is it true that you have to do some maintenance with a plasma TV every 5 years? May be only a myth i guess...
Pretty sure this is a myth.

Old
11-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Pascal

I'll wait til next yr to check it out... since RDS will only have games in HD in 2007..

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 08:59 AM
CanFan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I'll wait til next yr to check it out... since RDS will only have games in HD in 2007..
Weren't they supposed to have games in HD this year?

Old
11-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Souray44

I heard that unless you get a good name the thing might not even work after a few years. I'm buying an HD for next season as well and I want a 32". This thread has been good so far considering I know nothing about them other then they are amazing to watch sports on. I saw the Canada vs Russia game in the World Championships on one.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Habs

Quote:
Hey guys,

Help!!
Costco - Plasma - Nuff said. Costco has the best return policy in the world, incredible prices on Panasonic Viera's right now. You don't have to buy a warranty, since Costco give's full refunds if you have the receipt, even 5 years from now.

If you plan on doing a ton of video gaming, perhaps I'd go with the LCD, because there is still a burn-in issue with plasma's and video games (although you would have to game hours a day, every day for years for this to happen)

I still don't care for the image of an LCD, when you aren't directly opposite from the screen. View them from the side a few degrees, and the picture loses clarity. Plasma's are the same image, no matter where you sit.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 11:33 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post

I still don't care for the image of an LCD, when you aren't directly opposite from the screen. View them from the side a few degrees, and the picture loses clarity. Plasma's are the same image, no matter where you sit.
You weren't looking at good quality LCD's then. Most good ones now have a 180% viewing angle. You don't lose quality viewing from the side. I have one in my family room and no one has mentioned this.

Old
11-08-2006, 11:51 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

what about the sony SXRD A2000 50 inches? It looks like a great deal.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Well i'd like 40 inch and up. I could bump up my budget to 2500$...I saw a Panasonic 42 inch display on tigerdirect for 1800$ so i guessed that 2000$ could get me a good plasma screen
I have a Panasonic 42" plasma and love it. The price has been steadily dropping, so delaying your purchase might save you some money. Make sure you ask about delivery and setup charges. Some dealers don't charge (I bought my set via Amazon.com, with free delivery, and I tipped the deliverers $20 to install the set), and that could save you a bundle. It's a heavy set (and fragile), and it takes care and effort to get it out of its carton and onto its mount. You'll need appropriate cables. Shop for them carefully on the internet because some dealers charge ripoff prices.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Ryan O'Byrne

I had a HD 32" LCD,but I had to get a HD 26" LCD because my eyes would water when watching tv.I asked the guy and he asked how far the tv was from my viewing area. I told him 8' atmost ,and he said it should be around 10'.So make sure you ask before you buy one and bring it home and have to pack it back for a smaller one like me I don't know if Plasma tvs are the same ,but you should still ask anyway

Ryan O'Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 01:03 PM
mcphee

I also would appreciate help in acquiring a new fangled TV. I plan to be near the heating duct by the Guy Metro tonight from 4-6, any spare change would be appreciated.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 01:51 PM
bonefizzle

I worked in best buy and futureshop home theatre department. Plasma's start above 40 inches . If you are a hockey fan and are going to be watching hockey I recommend a plasma. Plasma's are wa better then lcds for fast moving objects (like a little puck) . Watching a puck fly around the ice on a plasma is alot clearer then on an lcd.

Alot of myths about plasmas out there. They are a superior technology then lcd. They have made tremendous improvements over the last few years. Most plasmas now come with burn in protection screens that eliminate burn in. Or in the case that burn in occurs they will white wash the screen to fix it.

Someone mentioned costco. Yes costco has a good return policy but they don't have the best TV's. They usually carry tv's that are a model or 2 behind and you have to becareful that what you are getting is true HD and not ED.

You can get the top of the line plasma's last years model around 2 grand right now at places like futureshop bestbuy etc. If you buy a plasma and protect it right. You won't have to buy another television for 20 years plus. I would protect it with a surge protector that eliminates noise in the power lines cleaning the power and that provides constant voltage to the tv. Yes you will probably spend another couple hundered bucks on a surge protector but its a small percentage of your total cost and it will increase the life of your television by about 10 years. I doubt if you go to a place like costco anyone would even know this or tell you about this.

difference between 1080I and 1080P I=interlacing P=progressive scan. interlacing the odd number of lines of resolution appear first and then the even numbers do. Progressive scan they all appear at the same time (sharper picture , better colours) Get a 1080p it is the newest technology you are going to have this for a long time so no point in getting something outdated. Consider this, the new blu ray players and hd dvd are designed to play 1080p , if you have a 1080 i tv and a blu ray player then you will only display 1080i.

Now i know you arent getting a blu ray now but wait until a few years when the price comes down and everyone has them. You dont want to not be able to take advantage of it..

Hope this helps.

bonefizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 02:10 PM
CanFan05

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate your help!