HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III: "Hemsky Off The Market" - MacT Presser

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-16-2013, 01:42 PM
  #226
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
man you wanna talk about an ugly divorce... alfie, JP Barry and the Sens
Wait til tomorrow. Something is up with Melnyk.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-16-2013, 02:01 PM
  #227
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
man you wanna talk about an ugly divorce... alfie, JP Barry and the Sens
Truth be told this is good for Murray and Melnyk, just making themselves look like fools.

Murray should've never came out and told us all the crap that was going on behind scenes in the first place, but that's not his style and was trying to save face with the fans. Alfie comes out and has a normal talk to say goodbye and Murray/Melnyk have to come out with comments as quick as they can. I don't care who is right and who is wrong, but the Sens have dealt like this horribly wrong.

Unless I missed a story where Alfie banged every wife on the team, why would they continue to try drag their former loyal leader down? How does fellow countryman/Norris Winner Erik Karlsson view this? Or longtime teammate from day one Jason Spezza?

Like they are some sort of Oiler fans trying to get rid of Smyth or something

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-16-2013, 02:03 PM
  #228
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
This is more realistic, the way I see Klefbom is a guy who will put up anywhere from 15-30 points and be solid defensive dman. He may be considered our best d man but I think most will put Schultz ahead of him due to the offensive production.

Shogun the likely hood of Klefbom, Schultz, Nurse, Petry all still being with the organization in 4 years is not very likely. I wouldn't be surprised of two of those guys move on by then.
Why unlikely? 2RD and 2LD. Smid and Ference will all be UFA by that point.

Is it that unfathomable?

The Perfect Human* is offline  
Old
08-16-2013, 02:05 PM
  #229
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,605
vCash: 500
im just surprised all this is coming out... i thought only the oilers did stuff like this

awesomo is offline  
Old
08-16-2013, 02:13 PM
  #230
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
im just surprised all this is coming out... i thought only the oilers did stuff like this
Outside of Alfie, it was the perfect storm. Especially considering Barry has already ****ed them over in their minds.

I don't really get agent-player-management relationships to be honest. Murray is saying Barry would've get back to them, that they were suppose to get back then he comes out and says Alfie never got the offer. Could Murray, not just phone Alfie and ask him what he's thinking? I mean chicks do it all the time, so why couldn't a man ask another man what he is thinking once in awhile?

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-16-2013, 02:56 PM
  #231
ManofSteel55
Registered User
 
ManofSteel55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
They aren't going to trade away a 1st round pick from 2 years ago for Fedun. They can get guys like Fedun off waivers.

Heck the Oilers are probably going to be sending someone that can play a #6 role in Chicago on waivers this year.

Actually I don't see them wanting Fedun at all. They have Brookbank, Peckham and Kotska as 7, 8 and 9 d-man this year.

Add a few younger guys in Clending, Stanton and Lalonde and I don't see Fedun to CHI making any sense.
First of all, MacNeill's stock has fallen. Second, I think you are underrating Fedun. He's certainly better than Peckham and Kostka, and likely will be better than Brookbank as well. I also never said Fedun for MacNeil straight across, there would be a significant piece added.

ManofSteel55 is offline  
Old
08-16-2013, 03:08 PM
  #232
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
First of all, MacNeill's stock has fallen. Second, I think you are underrating Fedun. He's certainly better than Peckham and Kostka, and likely will be better than Brookbank as well. I also never said Fedun for MacNeil straight across, there would be a significant piece added.
Go propose that on the main board and see what happens. Why has McNeil's stock dropped that much? And the point isn't whether Fedun is better or not the point is they have no need for him. They have players that they went out and signed.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-16-2013, 03:21 PM
  #233
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,520
vCash: 500
MacNeil MacNeill McNeil

It's McNeill.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
08-16-2013, 03:31 PM
  #234
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,572
vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
MacNeil MacNeill McNeil

It's McNeill.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1483485

value of thread from main board

jumptheshark is offline  
Old
08-16-2013, 03:59 PM
  #235
ManofSteel55
Registered User
 
ManofSteel55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Go propose that on the main board and see what happens. Why has McNeil's stock dropped that much? And the point isn't whether Fedun is better or not the point is they have no need for him. They have players that they went out and signed.
Because the main board is the best place to see anything productive discussed.

ManofSteel55 is offline  
Old
08-16-2013, 04:09 PM
  #236
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,977
vCash: 500
It's disappointing to see how much McNeill's game has fallen off since being drafted. I remember really hoping the Oilers might have a shot at drafting him or Klefbom at #19. I can't recall which one I wanted more... might have been McNeill. If he could be gotten cheaply in a trade I still wouldn't mind taking a shot at McNeill.

Asher is offline  
Old
08-16-2013, 04:11 PM
  #237
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
Because the main board is the best place to see anything productive discussed.
How would you know, you are fairly new around here.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-16-2013, 04:29 PM
  #238
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,777
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
It's disappointing to see how much McNeill's game has fallen off since being drafted. I remember really hoping the Oilers might have a shot at drafting him or Klefbom at #19. I can't recall which one I wanted more... might have been McNeill. If he could be gotten cheaply in a trade I still wouldn't mind taking a shot at McNeill.
Ya, I was so disappointed we didn't land him or Oleksiak... Now I'm thrilled. He'd definitely be worth it if we can get him for the right price. His upside definitely isn't the same anymore, but he could be a good fit in the bottom 6

The Nuge is offline  
Old
08-16-2013, 05:02 PM
  #239
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,156
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Why unlikely? 2RD and 2LD. Smid and Ference will all be UFA by that point.

Is it that unfathomable?
If they're as good as people are expecting then we won't be ale to afford the 4. Besides that I could see us moving Petry or nurse for an upgrade just my opinion.

raab is offline  
Old
08-16-2013, 06:18 PM
  #240
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Wait til tomorrow. Something is up with Melnyk.
The Senators have lost approximately 94 million under Melnyk's ownership.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
08-16-2013, 06:42 PM
  #241
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,777
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
If they're as good as people are expecting then we won't be ale to afford the 4. Besides that I could see us moving Petry or nurse for an upgrade just my opinion.
If they all hit their peak, sure. But then we'd have 4 top pairing dmen on our hands, and I doubt that happens

The Nuge is offline  
Old
08-16-2013, 09:17 PM
  #242
Usual_Suspect
Registered User
 
Usual_Suspect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 3 hours South
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
If they're as good as people are expecting then we won't be ale to afford the 4. Besides that I could see us moving Petry or nurse for an upgrade just my opinion.
Crazy that people use this logic. How is having 4 top pairing dmen ever a bad thing? If you can't afford 1 you trade him. Why would you prefer some to be mediocre and affordable?

Usual_Suspect is offline  
Old
08-16-2013, 09:57 PM
  #243
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I'd actually be kinda pissed if I was ROR or Duchene. Colorado tries to pay them as little as possible despite their success, and then hand Landeskog a massive contract based on one good season
Ryan could try to get pissed but the Avs could remind him that over his first two seasons Ryan put up even less points than Landy did with the concussed and lockout shortened second season, and that Landy was the better player during each of their best seasons. Landy is our captain and alongside the Duchene extension they have set a spending structure so that if Staz and Ryan want to stay they'll get around 5.5 per over term, but they can't get much more than that as neither is worth more than Duchene, and Staz would need to go back PPG Staz to be worth more than Landy.

This extension buys out 3 of Landy's uFa years so the rfa argument is kinda hollow as well.

And on top of Staz and radar the Avs have Varlamov, Barrie, Downie, McGinn and Elliott with only a year left so getting as many extensions done as we can this summer would be awesome, and starting with our star and then our captain is tough to argue with.

cgf is offline  
Old
08-16-2013, 10:09 PM
  #244
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I think Mackinnon was the right choice, 3 teams did pass on Jones even though it would have made the most sense for Colorado to draft him.
And we did spend almost every other pick on defensemen, including Bigras who many had a first round trade on, some even a top 20-grade, to join Elliott and Siemens in our prospect pool behind EJ and Barrie.

Avs D is still a big question mark, but there's a lot of promise there and everything would look a lot better if EJ, Hejda and Barrie weren't our only top 4 caliber defensemen.

This figures to be a very informative year for the Avs, both on how the forwards respond with Patrick replacing Sacco and with how our kids do on D. Siemens and Elliott should start the year on Lake Erie's first pairing but both could earn call ups when injuries hit.

cgf is offline  
Old
08-17-2013, 02:27 AM
  #245
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
And like clockwork the sheep on the HF forums in "Trades and Free Agent Talk" are praising this deal.

Just watch when we re-sign Nugent-Hopkins. The reaction will be on the opposite end of the spectrum and unanimous.
There's an old saying in Denver about Boulder, Colorado.. They call it the city surrounded by reality. It's grown to include Denver these days. By far the one fan base that in one sentence compares their players to the Crosby, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg's and in the next sentence rips the Oilers for signing Eberle and Hall because they're not 100 pt players and make $6 million. They've taken the overrated prospect angle to a whole new level. They're in for one hell of a surprise when they actually see guys like Siemens, Elliott, etc, not become Nick Lidstrom. They've convinced themselves that Stastny is a great defender to justify is horrible pay/production ratio. Ask anyone of them what he does defensively that makes him such a great defensive C... They'll talk about his FO percentage. They wont even try to come up with another example. So in the Avs logic book, if you're a great face off guy, a selke isn't far behind.

Petes2424 is offline  
Old
08-17-2013, 02:47 AM
  #246
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
We should try and get Mark McNeill out of CHI..

Local kid who is deep down the list of prospects for CHI.

As per a poll on CHI board, only 1 Dman cracked the top 10 prospect list for them with McNeill being ranked #9.

Give them a Musil, Gernat or Fedun and grab this kid.
I'd make that trade and probably add a little. While I'm thinking that he'll eventually end up as a 3C, that works for me. McNeill and Ewanyk as our bottom 6 centers would work for me in 3 years time.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
08-17-2013, 02:59 AM
  #247
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Ryan could try to get pissed but the Avs could remind him that over his first two seasons Ryan put up even less points than Landy did with the concussed and lockout shortened second season, and that Landy was the better player during each of their best seasons. Landy is our captain and alongside the Duchene extension they have set a spending structure so that if Staz and Ryan want to stay they'll get around 5.5 per over term, but they can't get much more than that as neither is worth more than Duchene, and Staz would need to go back PPG Staz to be worth more than Landy.

This extension buys out 3 of Landy's uFa years so the rfa argument is kinda hollow as well.

And on top of Staz and radar the Avs have Varlamov, Barrie, Downie, McGinn and Elliott with only a year left so getting as many extensions done as we can this summer would be awesome, and starting with our star and then our captain is tough to argue with.
And Im sure ROR will quite bluntly remind the Avs what his qualifying offer is...

Petes2424 is offline  
Old
08-17-2013, 07:36 AM
  #248
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
And Im sure ROR will quite bluntly remind the Avs what his qualifying offer is...
And the team will then take him to arbitration next summer and he'll sign for the same 5.5 the Avs where offering him with the security of a longer term. *shrug*

cgf is offline  
Old
08-17-2013, 09:29 AM
  #249
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The Senators have lost approximately 94 million under Melnyk's ownership.
Interesting accounting is my guess, although I remember a few years back maybe even longer that one of their issues was front loaded contracts.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-17-2013, 10:02 AM
  #250
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
And the team will then take him to arbitration next summer and he'll sign for the same 5.5 the Avs where offering him with the security of a longer term. *shrug*
I think the team has to qualify him in order to go to arbitration

Mr Sakich is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.