HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2013, 11:50 AM
LeHabsMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
This is a Trade Deadline deal, that the Habs would be wise to follow through with. Trading away Desharnais (Briere takes his place) and Gionta (His contract is up) thus getting the Habs a couple of late 1st round picks. The money that's saved will go toward PK Subban's long term contract and to Eller & Emelin's new contracts.

I'm thinking the three 1st's can either be used to move up for Ekblad, (Completing our Defence) or to acquire Ehlers, Ritchie and Neill giving the Habs a Center,LW and a solid defenceman.

The Habs aren't a playoff team cinch by any stretch of the imagination, look at their play after Emelin was injured. All it takes is a couple of the core players to be out for a month and the Habs could be hard-pressed to make the playoffs.

If in fact they do miss the playoffs, then moving a couple of other players in lieu of draft choices would be the best thing to do. This makes room for our young prospects to get the icetime they deserve and need, for the team to mature.

Also this draft could provide the Habs with prospects to fill the empty slots created when Collberg, Beaulieu, Bournival and Leblanc arrive to assume the 3rd line roles vacated by Galchenyuk & Eller.

Collberg joining them on an offensive line and Beaulieu possibly in Markov's position. Markov would draw a couple of draft choices at the deadline too. There has to be a changing of the guards soon and this season could be the right timing, with so many prospects ready for the Show.
Something would have to be added to those too to be worth a 1st but I would definitely trade Gionta at the deadline if we are out of playoff contention.

Gionta(some salary retained) and Leblanc for a 1st.
Moen for a 3rd.
Desharnais for a 2nd and 5th.

Those seem like pretty reasonable deadline deals. If Gaustad got a 1st a few years back then so can Gionta and Leblanc.

Old
08-18-2013, 10:56 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
Something would have to be added to those too to be worth a 1st but I would definitely trade Gionta at the deadline if we are out of playoff contention.

Moen for a 3rd.

Those seem like pretty reasonable deadline deals. If Gaustad got a 1st a few years back then so can Gionta and Leblanc.
It's certainly doesn't do justice to the GM or the players that are earning $5mil and $3.8 mil a year and their fans don't see their worth. It's a good thing the other GM's see it and understand why! Take time to actually watch these players during the game, even if it means losing the flow of the game. Then a proper viewpoint can be achieved and worth established, besides Gionta being our Captain, intangibles you don't notice on TV.

Anyway I call em as I see em, and it's my belief that the Habs have to bring an influx of our young prospects very soon. That means breaking up some of the team, not a nice position for the GM but it's a business and players are well paid. I could be blowing smoke up yer arse, but sooner or later these moves need to be made. This year's draft means some players could be seeing time in the NHL by 2016/2017, depending on the players drafted.

Ehlers, Ritchie and Schmaltz are three I think could be available in the #10-30 area of the Draft hopefully, it's early yet. If life was ideal the Habs would have every second pick starting with the first pick obviously. Not that everyone realizes there is no bias here, with the first pick the Habs will take Connor McDavid of yeah that's next year.

Old
09-01-2013, 06:04 PM
De Montreal
help

6'2'' 238 lbs left winger from Montréal, Québec?

Expecting the Habs to be all over this Alexis Pépin kid.

2nd overall pick in the QMJHL last year.

Old
09-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

This is 2015 draft related, not 2014, but 2013 QMJHL 1st overall pick Nicolas Roy has been traded to Chicoutimi for 3 1st round picks(2014 2015 and 2016), he had refused to report to Cape Breton.

Word is that Chicoutimi is planning on moving Hudon at midseason and build a team around Roy.

Old
09-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

One of the top overagers picked in the upcoming draft should be Beau McCue from the Tri-City Americans. Strange that he wasn't picked up even if it would have been in the 7th round. Wasn't that noticeable in the playoffs, that probably cost him a whole lot.

Old
09-07-2013, 02:56 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post

Pepin will probably be in the top sixty picks at the moment, if the Habs could draft Nick Ritchie in the 1st round and Pepin in the 2nd round I will be ecstatic. These players along with McCarron could be a wrecking crew and a high scoring line at the same time.

Pepin is listed as a RH Center not a LW, but big centers that can score are rare to find. If the Habs get Ritchie 6'3" and 220 lbs LW add Pepin at 6'2" and 238 lbs. as center, Mike McCarron 6'6" and 238 lbs. RW.

Now that's a beast line if ever there was one, 696 lbs. on one line in hockey not football. I can imagine the Habs having all three of these players playing for them in a couple of years and the nice thing is they will only be just turning 20 yrs. old.

There is always Tyler Hill he went undrafted last year, and he plays for Ottawa in the OHL this season 6'6" and 230 lbs. but I doubt he will be as good a LW as Nick Ritchie. Hill could be the Policeman/Enforcer for the Habs if his skating has caught up with his growth spurt.

The Habs have a need for a few big forwards to make room for the Hudon's, Lekhonen's and Andrighetto's in their system.

Old
09-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post

He needs to lose a lot of that weight though. He ballooned up a bit and it's not healthy weight he added on. Should be around 215-220 which is still really big.

Old
09-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Draft

Is it fair to draw comparisons between Pepin and Latendresse? They seem to have similar issues regarding weight, speed, and physical play. Any character questions or commitment issues?

Old
09-07-2013, 04:55 PM
ccgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Is it fair to draw comparisons between Pepin and Latendresse? They seem to have similar issues regarding weight, speed, and physical play. Any character questions or commitment issues?
Euh ? Pépin is often trying to kill people with hits. He would abuse Latendresse on 1-on-1. But yeah, he is fat. Last season, around 215 lbs, he wasn't a great skater, but he was fluid. At the beginning of last season he was lazy, crappy defensively and he took several stupid penalties. In February, he began to be a lot more serious (Laplante has been a big reason). In general, I don't think PEI has a great training staff. A lot of players were out of gas at the end of the season. Pépin doesn't have a great IQ, but he has a very good wrist shot. I think that he should become a left winger in the NHL even if he is a center right now. He played sometimes on the wing last season and he was fine. By the way, he is lefthanded.

Edit: He has a good training camp with Charlottetown.

Old
09-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
Couple of Sting come to mind in Nik Goldobin and Anthony DeAngelo. Alexis Pepin would be a player to keep an eye on all year, I think he has the potential to climb the charts throughout the year.

Of course there is Reinhart, Ekblad, and Nylander, but I expect the Habs to be in the playoffs again so not likely lol
DeAngelo definitely has the talent, but comes with some "issues". Hope a coaching change in Sarnia deals with those issues.

Goldobin's rankings are all over the place. Loads of potential but will need to fill some holes. Only Red Line and in our own rankings is he in the early part of the first round. Top 10 (5th) on Red Line, third in the OHL on our list http://ohlwriters.com/articles/ohl-s...ngs-pre-season

Old
09-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post

Moen for a 3rd.

Better players have gone for less.

If the team is in the hunt for the playoffs, then none of those players will be dealt.

If we're out of the playoffs, Gionta, if he waives, might get us a 2nd. I'd be shocked if he got us a first unless there's no one else available.

Moen, given how much is left won't be dealt, or sought after.

Desharnais likely won't be sought after either.

If we're willing to deal Leblanc, it means he struggled again and would carry very little value.

Old
09-08-2013, 11:44 AM
SOLR

I want to come back to the "need" discussion going forward vs our next draft.

I think we are at the fortunate stage where we want bluechips(top 10s) over quantity. I would us to start trading up and giving up some number for some quality. That is hard to do, but we have to try.

I think we need a Mcdonagh style D(hurts!) or a big body LW the most in our prospects.(Our LW pool is small.) We could handle another bluechip centre, not sure how long Plekanec will play at this level and I don't believe in DLR, Bournival etc at this point, long shots at best.(DLR will probably be a winger.) With Subban-Emelin-Beaulieu-Tinordi(assuming the 2 young-lings develop) we need balanced Ds to replace/upgrade guys like Gorges.

Old
09-08-2013, 12:08 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Better players have gone for less.

If the team is in the hunt for the playoffs, then none of those players will be dealt.

If we're out of the playoffs, Gionta, if he waives, might get us a 2nd. I'd be shocked if he got us a first unless there's no one else available.

Moen, given how much is left won't be dealt, or sought after.

Desharnais likely won't be sought after either.

If we're willing to deal Leblanc, it means he struggled again and would carry very little value.
Moen is a depth trade that teams will actually be looking for. A bit more value than Drewiske since he is usually a playoff type player. I say at least a 4th round pick.

Gionta brings leadership and experience to a locker room. A 3rd line scorer type player on a good playoff team. He may be this years Morrow, Jagr, Iginla... Will get a bit less than them. Id say for just Gionta, 2nd rounder+small extra. If noone else is available then we can add a bit and get a 1st.

Desharnais is tricky. Maybe a 2nd round pick on his own. Im sure a team looking for centre depth making a playoff run would take a chance on him.

Leblanc is an add on. We would be lucky to get a 3rd for him.

Old
09-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Issacar

We could always trade Leblanc because he is doing really well?

Old
09-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Fozz

Brock's early top-30 OHL players for the 2014 draft. Great stuff as usual:
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013...try-draft.html

Old
09-10-2013, 09:10 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
This is 2015 draft related, not 2014, but 2013 QMJHL 1st overall pick Nicolas Roy has been traded to Chicoutimi for 3 1st round picks(2014 2015 and 2016), he had refused to report to Cape Breton.

Word is that Chicoutimi is planning on moving Hudon at midseason and build a team around Roy.
Hudon's entourage think it's him going to Cape Breton for the 2016 1st pick.

It's going to be Hudon or Dauphin I think.

If not it makes no sense because Rouyn was apparently offering more.

Old
09-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post

Dauphin makes more sense because unless the Screaming Eagles are going for the championship, Hudon won't be too usefull to them since he's turning pro next year...

Old
09-10-2013, 10:14 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Dauphin makes more sense because unless the Screaming Eagles are going for the championship, Hudon won't be too usefull to them since he's turning pro next year...
Of course he could be useful. If they decide to go for it with Carrier, Darcy and Lazarev, they'll have Hudon and many trade assets. If they don't go for it, Hudon will be worth 2 1st picks and a good young player. Either way, it's a big return.

Old
09-12-2013, 08:18 AM
LLoyd Christmas I

Some advice I would give the organization.

Steer clear of project picks in the first round.

Statistically speaking, even if the first round picks don't pan out, they are still given more opportunity, in terms of NHL games and minutes on ice then their peers picked in the later rounds.

Always go for big hitters in the first round. Keep project picks for later rounds.

Old
09-12-2013, 08:35 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post

I heard it's Dauphin to CB.

...also taht Hudon would be on the block at midseason to try and add 16 and 17 year olds to build around Roy.

Old
09-12-2013, 08:35 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoyd Christmas I View Post
Some advice I would give the organization.

Steer clear of project picks in the first round.

Statistically speaking, even if the first round picks don't pan out, they are still given more opportunity, in terms of NHL games and minutes on ice then their peers picked in the later rounds.

Always go for big hitters in the first round. Keep project picks for later rounds.
What do you mean by big hitters? Like the most physical player available?

Old
09-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Ivan Barbashev finally arrived in Moncton on Tuesday after flying all day, he had visa issues that kept him in Russia for 3 weeks. He should paly tonight in Halifax in the opener, but he may be rusty as he hasn't played in any meaningful games in a bit.

Moncton's other 2014 draft eligible Tkachev is still in Russia playing for a KHL team but he's only dressed for 1 of 3 games. He also had a visa issue but now it's a question of KHL vs QMJHL, though if he keeps getting scratched the decision will become easier.

Old
09-16-2013, 12:02 PM
S Bah

Besides watching the Halifax Mooseheads to see more of Zach Fucale's play, there's the Danish Phenom Nikolaj Ehlers @ center, between LW Danny Moynihan and RW Timo Meier (DE-2015). This line is only going to get better with experience as Ehlers and Meier become used to the size of NA rinks.

Ehlers is the player that the Habs should be keeping tabs on in the QMJHL, along with Carl Neill - RD - Sherbrooke and Alexis Pepin - Center - Charlottetown.

Nick Ritchie - LW - Peterborough is my choice from the OHL.

Nick Schmaltz - Center - Green Bay(USHL) is my choice from the USHL.

Nick Ehlers IMO is the player I want the Habs to draft along with any two above, for 2014 Entry Draft.

Nikita Lyamkin - LD - Chicoutimi - Another Russian defenceman to complement Markov & Emelin.

Last edited by S Bah: 09-16-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old
09-18-2013, 08:50 PM
rockjngo

Tinordi-Subban
Beaulieu-Ekblad

Old
09-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Mathletic

Not 2014 bound but Jeremy Roy already seeing a lot of ice-time for Sherbrooke. Looking good for the Q on d for 2015 with Roy and Léveillé among others.

edit: goal actually credited to Neill

Ehlers getting going for Halifax with a 2G, 1A night

Last edited by Mathletic: 09-20-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Closed Thread