HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Latendresse: Upside vs. Hype

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2006, 02:08 AM
leafaholix*

vCash: 500
Latendresse: Upside vs. Hype

What is his realistic upside, and is the amount of hype he gets warranted?

King Lats?

Is he really that much better than Steve Bernier, if at all?

Old
11-08-2006, 06:49 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by your_rogers_bill View Post
What is his realistic upside, and is the amount of hype he gets warranted?

King Lats?

Is he really that much better than Steve Bernier, if at all?
What hype????? He's a 2nd round pick who got a chance because of his great camps.

I'm still looking for ONE person who said he would be a star. Just one.

If you want hype, look at the threads about Grabovski before the camp, you'll find much more hype than Latendresse ever got here.

Old
11-08-2006, 07:09 AM
BobbyFischer*

He will be a star, eventually.

Old
11-08-2006, 07:12 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
You're not going to many french forums are you ?

Old
11-08-2006, 07:52 AM
mcphee

I think the hype about the hype far exceeds the hype. Lats is a player that won a job in camp that the coach feels is a project that can be developed at the NHL level. He gets more attn. than he would beause he's a local kid and that's the way it is, and to an extent should be. He's good kid from all accounts, has some charisma and will get the attn. that comes along with it.

Comparing him to a player 2 years older, who he's probably very similar to, well if you're really interested in a hockey comparison, fine, but you're not are you ? You're playing you're game hoping someone reacts to you, gets in some trouble, while you laugh.

Old
11-08-2006, 08:01 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think the hype about the hype far exceeds the hype. Lats is a player that won a job in camp that the coach feels is a project that can be developed at the NHL level. He gets more attn. than he would beause he's a local kid and that's the way it is, and to an extent should be. He's good kid from all accounts, has some charisma and will get the attn. that comes along with it.

Comparing him to a player 2 years older, who he's probably very similar to, well if you're really interested in a hockey comparison, fine, but you're not are you ? You're playing you're game hoping someone reacts to you, gets in some trouble, while you laugh.
And unfortunately it works. Just wondering when we're going to ignore those guys, do you imagine creating a thread with no replies on it, must be way more frustrating for him than being called an idiot which he already knows he is.....

I got a warning, for going on the Jersey board and joking a little sarcastically about how Brodeur looked like he was shot when he fell down, mostly responding to the same remarks that was made about Huet.......And this guy seems to have an easy pass on our board, maybe mods should start being a little tougher in here.....

Old
11-08-2006, 08:06 AM
kostybros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
What hype????? He's a 2nd round pick who got a chance because of his great camps.

If you want hype, look at the threads about Grabovski before the camp, you'll find much more hype than Latendresse ever got here.
the hype is not on the forums, but created by RDS, 110% and others...
Just one exemple, every time lats will play a decent game in montreal, he will get the first star, just like theo when he was playing some ordinary games, he would still get the first star.
RDS are showing twice all the lats highlights and they aren't showing was saku, ryder and kovy did...
did lats say he was gonna be a star, or course not and this is not his faults, but thoses media are raising the expectations so high for the kid that some fans will hate him, and boo him (i know it's gonna happen) because he will not respond to what they expect from him.

by the way, bernier is a better skater, has better vision than lats but lats plays a more agressive game and i think he's better in the corner to keep the puck. they both have a good shot but Bernier's upside is a litle higher IMO.

Old
11-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Bernier is better than he.

Old
11-08-2006, 08:15 AM
habitue*

Did anybody see the Patrick Roy's press conference after his game against Rimouski and again during the Radio-Canada late sport show "Au dessus de la mêlée"... I still don't understand why he is so obsesssed with the fact that latendresse is playing in the NHL. It is not of his ****ing business ! He is not in the NHL anymore; he is not working for the Habs; Latendresse never played for him;... What the **** does he have against the kid ? Is he jealous or what ? Is Latendresse taking too much attention away from HIM ?

Once again yesterday night, he said that he was late for the post game press conference because he wanted to watch the Latendresse's goal again ! (jokingly)... And he repeated something similar during that scrum.

It is like Don Cherry obsession about Crosby (I don't want to compare both players...) . How come those grown up adults (?) are doing that crap on young guys ?

Can anyone explain that to me.

Old
11-08-2006, 08:18 AM
Much Love

Let's just say if he wasn't french, you wouldn't have made this thread.

TRUTH.com

Old
11-08-2006, 08:30 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

The thing that anger me the most regarding Latendresse bashing is that the kid did absolutely nothing to deserve it. He looked very good during his two training camps, which is exactly what people were asking for him, and he seems to be willing to compete in the NHL. Is he ready to take any kind of serious role in professional hockey? Of course not, but for christ sake he is a 19 old kid with absolutely no experience playing at this level, and his troubles are perfectly normal. So why bash him exactly? Because the media and fans had unreasonable expectations toward him? It's not like Latendresse is trying to steal the spotlight; in fact, he has been pretty low key since he joined the club.

I have no problem with people who love and hate a player. But at least, this should be based on the player himself, not on the media and fans expectations! Latendresse is trying to learn right now what it takes years for other players to grasp in lower professional leagues, away from the public and the media projector. If you expected Latendresse to win the calder or to make any kind of significant impact with the habs, you should reconsider your expectation, not bash a kid who has done nothing else than what his coachs have asked him.

Old
11-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Pascal

I wouldn't say he's a surefire star, but he's a nice guy and he has all the tools to make it. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders. So, I cheer for him.

I doubt many ppl with a clue see him as the "savior". We're happy to have a local boy getting his first steps in the NHL with us.

Old
11-08-2006, 08:48 AM
GoodKiwi

It is true that Lats is over hyped by some of the quebecers, but I didn't really notice it much here.

Old
11-08-2006, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
The thing that anger me the most regarding Latendresse bashing is that the kid did absolutely nothing to deserve it. He looked very good during his two training camps, which is exactly what people were asking for him, and he seems to be willing to compete in the NHL. Is he ready to take any kind of serious role in professional hockey? Of course not, but for christ sake he is a 19 old kid with absolutely no experience playing at this level, and his troubles are perfectly normal. So why bash him exactly? Because the media and fans had unreasonable expectations toward him? It's not like Latendresse is trying to steal the spotlight; in fact, he has been pretty low key since he joined the club.

I have no problem with people who love and hate a player. But at least, this should be based on the player himself, not on the media and fans expectations! Latendresse is trying to learn right now what it takes years for other players to grasp in lower professional leagues, away from the public and the media projector. If you expected Latendresse to win the calder or to make any kind of significant impact with the habs, you should reconsider your expectation, not bash a kid who has done nothing else than what his coachs have asked him.

Excellent post, i've said the same thing since the season began.

Old
11-08-2006, 09:31 AM
HabuseMoi

He could be a first line winger like he could become the next Kilger or just another energy guy. It all depend on how he'll develop. But I really doubt he as the tool to become a star, everyone is always talking on how Thornton scored like 6 goals on the 4th line in his first year in like 82 games... Yeah but name me 5 other guy that did and became huge stars, no, top 6 forwards, in the last ten years...Woopsie.

I wish he becomes a superstar, he's on our team, but don't count on it, he doesn't seem to have as much potential as a guy like Higgins who could really become something huge, were talking of a better version of Brad Richard if his development goes right. Maybe the best two way forward in the game and a 100 pts player.

Old
11-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:

Good stuff...this is the way I feel but you were able to put it into words.

Old
11-08-2006, 09:40 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
Did anybody see the Patrick Roy's press conference after his game against Rimouski and again during the Radio-Canada late sport show "Au dessus de la mêlée"... I still don't understand why he is so obsesssed with the fact that latendresse is playing in the NHL. It is not of his ****ing business ! He is not in the NHL anymore; he is not working for the Habs; Latendresse never played for him;... What the **** does he have against the kid ? Is he jealous or what ? Is Latendresse taking too much attention away from HIM ?

Once again yesterday night, he said that he was late for the post game press conference because he wanted to watch the Latendresse's goal again ! (jokingly)... And he repeated something similar during that scrum.

It is like Don Cherry obsession about Crosby (I don't want to compare both players...) . How come those grown up adults (?) are doing that crap on young guys ?

Can anyone explain that to me.
Because he is right? Thus far, Ive seen a Guillaume that is not ready for the NHL. To be honest. Ok, they are probably thinking that after 40-45 games he will start to belong, but right now, he just doesn't compared with the boys in the AHL.

Maybe Kostitsyn would have the spot he won at camp in a Patrick Roy team? Because that was the decision they needed to make for the development of Kost who is 2 years older and have been in the AHL for 2 years. Kost have been showing the goods at both camp and last senior world championships, he deserved to be tried. I would be pissed to be back into the AHL for a 3rd year as well, after all that.

Dont get me wrong, Lats is developing much faster in the NHL and I was one of the people pushing for that. But imo he should be confined to the 4th line until he reach an NHL fitness level. Something that he is 1-2 years away. He can't dominate now, he just can't follow the train fitness wise.(Power forward fitness level)

Old
11-08-2006, 09:43 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
Quote:

Exactly what everybody should think about Guillaume. He is a great kid, he is trying hard and he is not trying to steal the spot light from anybody. He is a team player and does exactly what Carbo and Muller ask him. Kudos to the kid.

Old
11-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Drunk World Order

Quote:

You are 100 percent right...couldn't have said it better!!!

Closed Thread