HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How Improved Are The Oilers.

View Poll Results: How improved are we?
Enough to make the playoffs 57 16.62%
Enough to make us compete for the final spot 184 53.64%
Only Enough to move up a spot or two 80 23.32%
We did not improve 22 6.41%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-17-2013, 04:00 PM
  #101
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up
 
Matt Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Oh, you know. A dash of Doughty and a sprinkle of Karlsson at the very least. Can't make playoffs without those types. Ference needs to be on the 3rd pairing, too.

That's why MacT gets an "F".
yeah we're garbage. we needed to sign crosby, subban, toews, and stamkos. god macT is such a doofus.

we need taylor hall on the 3rd line too

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 04:02 PM
  #102
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,609
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
yeah we're garbage. we needed to sign crosby, subban, toews, and stamkos. god macT is such a doofus.

we need taylor hall on the 3rd line too
This guy gets it.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 04:37 PM
  #103
shogun99
Registered User
 
shogun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,034
vCash: 500
I can't believe that people are complaint about what we've done this summer. The only thing we failed at was acquiring a good backup to push Dubnyk, a 3rd line LW and a 4th line C. Gordon is an upgrade on Horcoff for the 3rd line, Perron is an upgrade on MPS on the 2nd line. Ference was good enough to be on the second pairing of one of the best teams in the league. Not every team can have a Keith/Seabrook 1st pairing, but if we can run 3 quality 2nd pairings we should do good.

Smyth might also surprise some people with this year being his last as an Oiler. I think Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky/Jones will be an effective 3rd line.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 04:37 PM
  #104
Bank Shot
Registered User
 
Bank Shot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post
Belov, Nick Schultz and Grebeshkov are our BOTTOM 3 defence.

We have improved.
Schultz is a definite upgrade, but Belov and Grebeshkov are complete wildcards.

There's no real good reason to believe that either will be markedly better then Potter until they prove it.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 05:13 PM
  #105
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,239
vCash: 162
I think that coaching is being under estimated here.
Eakins systems should be a vast improvement over Kruger and I also think that Acton will help Gagner and RNH with faceoffs.

Those 2 additions alone should have a positive impact on the teams ability to defend and play a possession game.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 07:02 PM
  #106
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,989
vCash: 500
Are we improved? Yes. I don't see how anyone can say otherwise. How much have we improved? Better top 6, an actual defensive shutdown C, improved top 4 on the back end, improved D depth and improved coaching (though there's no tangible proof of a coaching improvement, I think most feel that way).

Were areas left unaddressed? Yes. Our grit and size is a big concern, especially considering the Division we play in. Our organizational depth at C is quite poor (if Nuge misses any considerable amount of time it will be ugly). We also lack a true top pairing defender, but that could be said for many teams and is a tough asset to obtain.

One thing that should work in our favour is the realignment and playoff format. Detroit and Columbus out, Winnipeg in. And that should be our focus - the crossover spot - because I don't see us ahead of LA, VAN, SJ or ANH. CHI and STL should be locks, then after that it gets interesting, but for arguments sake I like WPG in that 3rd spot. So, our competition for the crossover spot is DAL, MIN, NSH, COL, PHX and CGY. Is there a single team in that group that we shouldn't be able to beat out? I think our PP will be the difference maker if our PK and 5on5 can float around middle of the pack.

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 07:32 PM
  #107
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
When we really break it down, it was a pretty aggressive off-season for Mac-T, and he probably did more in one summer than Tambo did during the entire rebuild. With these additions, how improved are we?

We bumped down N. Schultz and added a legit 2nd pairing veteran d-man. Ference is not another experiment. He will do great filling the void until Klefbom/Nurse are ready.

We have real competition in our bottom pairing. Belov, Grebshkov, N. Schultz, Larsen, Klefbom is way better competition than a broken whitney, potter or barker.

We went out and got a legit top 6 forward who can play with some grit, and help with our possession game.

We got a 3rd line C that this team needed more than Horcoff. Better on faceoffs, tougher to play against, and great at getting the puck out of the defensive zone.
I'd like to see another C, and even though I think he had a decent season last, I'm not a Dubnyk guy. Let's see how those two things shake out. I'd like them to add another D and if they cant via trade, I still expect them to sign a White or Hainsey type guy who could come in and play in good stretches. It also give some insurance against Belov, Larsen, etc.

Belov is the guy who Im real interested in how he fits in. If the could slide into that second pairing and do it well, things will really settle down. On the C front, without someone landing in your lap, I would expect them to be all over a guy that's about to be waived in late Sept. There's going to be a few at least. Guys like Emmerton...

Overall though, with RNH in somewhat doubt and the things mentioned here plenty, if they could compete for that 8th spot, I think people should be happy. Always take a step forward...

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 08:44 PM
  #108
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,140
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Schultz is a definite upgrade, but Belov and Grebeshkov are complete wildcards.

There's no real good reason to believe that either will be markedly better then Potter until they prove it.
Belov is a wildcard, but I'd argue we know exactly what we're getting with Grebeshkov. It wasn't that long ago that he was here

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 08:57 PM
  #109
Mikey71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I think that coaching is being under estimated here.
Eakins systems should be a vast improvement over Kruger and I also think that Acton will help Gagner and RNH with faceoffs.

Those 2 additions alone should have a positive impact on the teams ability to defend and play a possession game.
This, big time. I saw it here in the Soo when Mike Stapleton was replaced with Sheldon Keefe as head coach of the Greyhounds part way thru this past season. Yeah it was the OHL, but the Oil core is nearly OHL age, so I think it is comparable when dealing with kids that age. No player changes, yet the team went from likely missing the playoffs to someone most OHL fans (on the NOOF) figured could pull off an upset. The records before Keefe and after Keefe arrived are insane in how different they were. It was all coaching. Keefe had a system and the players bought in. He was a players coach who insisted on hard work and accountability and I have thought a few times how similar Keefe and Eakins seem to be.

I really think that there is enough talent on the Oil and aside from maybe more grit, this could be a really cool year to be an Oil fan. Nobody can predict when it will all click, it will just happen when there are this many kids that are the core. I unfortunately will have a hard time watching games much of this season being in Florida so much, but I hope to be able to see as much of it as possible.

Unless this season is a brutal one for injuries, I think we make the playoffs. I think we will end up being a matchup nightmare for opposing teams more than in recent Oil history. I bet the kids buy in fairly early and the room is considered one of the very best in the NHL with how tight they are.

Mikey71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 09:10 PM
  #110
Bank Shot
Registered User
 
Bank Shot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Belov is a wildcard, but I'd argue we know exactly what we're getting with Grebeshkov. It wasn't that long ago that he was here
3 seasons, and his game has apparently eroded. He hasn't represented Russia in international events, and his KHL stats have been bad, the last season especially.

He was an erratic offensive D-man probably best suited for 3rd pairing when he was here. Hopefully he has settled done a bit and is more dependable. Maybe he lost a step. Hard to say. 3 seasons can be a long time in hockey years.

Horcoff went from 50 in 53 games to 36 in 77 in two seasons.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 09:21 PM
  #111
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,140
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
3 seasons, and his game has apparently eroded. He hasn't represented Russia in international events, and his KHL stats have been bad, the last season especially.

He was an erratic offensive D-man probably best suited for 3rd pairing when he was here. Hopefully he has settled done a bit and is more dependable. Maybe he lost a step. Hard to say. 3 seasons can be a long time in hockey years.

Horcoff went from 50 in 53 games to 36 in 77 in two seasons.
Oh I know things can change quickly, but 99% of the time, its because of injuries. Horcoff and Whitney both proved that. I'm expecting Grebeshkov to come in and be a bottom pairing guy, who can play with Schultz, and get the puck out of our end. I'm not expecting much, but I am expecting him to be an upgrade on Potter

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 09:53 PM
  #112
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,239
vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey71 View Post
This, big time. I saw it here in the Soo when Mike Stapleton was replaced with Sheldon Keefe as head coach of the Greyhounds part way thru this past season. Yeah it was the OHL, but the Oil core is nearly OHL age, so I think it is comparable when dealing with kids that age. No player changes, yet the team went from likely missing the playoffs to someone most OHL fans (on the NOOF) figured could pull off an upset. The records before Keefe and after Keefe arrived are insane in how different they were. It was all coaching. Keefe had a system and the players bought in. He was a players coach who insisted on hard work and accountability and I have thought a few times how similar Keefe and Eakins seem to be.

I really think that there is enough talent on the Oil and aside from maybe more grit, this could be a really cool year to be an Oil fan. Nobody can predict when it will all click, it will just happen when there are this many kids that are the core. I unfortunately will have a hard time watching games much of this season being in Florida so much, but I hope to be able to see as much of it as possible.

Unless this season is a brutal one for injuries, I think we make the playoffs. I think we will end up being a matchup nightmare for opposing teams more than in recent Oil history. I bet the kids buy in fairly early and the room is considered one of the very best in the NHL with how tight they are.

Yeah...the reality of how brutal Ralph was isnt being factored into next season nearly enough. Even if MacT doesnt improve the roster this would still be a better team.

As it stands now there are concerns but I think the roster is better and deeper than last year...with the improved coaching (injuries aside) I cant see this team not competing for a playoff spot.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 10:05 PM
  #113
DethOfDragnz
Registered User
 
DethOfDragnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 227
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DethOfDragnz
I wish I could be as optimistic as others on this board, however I don't think we have a shot at the playoffs yet. Getting Darnell Nurse was huge but we don't know how well his transition to the major league will be, I am sure he'll be a NHL regular, but how long until he is ready and how long until he is a impact player is still to be decided. I like that we have a bunch of D-Men signed and in training but alot of them were low drafts and hard to say if they will be solid players at the NHL level or not. I also don't like Dubnyk I don't have faith in him, granted he would be better if we had some decent defense to back him up. I like the direction the club is going but I don't think we have seen the peak of Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, or Yakupov, they are darn good but their best is still to come and it may still be a few years away. Are defense is not ready yet, and we have a goalie that is known for letting in soft goals. We still have a few more years of rebuilding to go.

DethOfDragnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 10:32 PM
  #114
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Oh, you know. A dash of Doughty and a sprinkle of Karlsson at the very least. Can't make playoffs without those types. Ference needs to be on the 3rd pairing, too.

That's why MacT gets an "F".
Do you reaize that Ference played 24:31 per game in last year's playoffs?

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 01:28 AM
  #115
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
Do you reaize that Ference played 24:31 per game in last year's playoffs?
Yup and my post was sarcastic in nature.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 02:46 AM
  #116
Dubnykov
Registered User
 
Dubnykov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
Do you reaize that Ference played 24:31 per game in last year's playoffs?
He played 45 minutes in one game also and 34 two games prior

Dubnykov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 03:18 PM
  #117
Sheeshta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 163
vCash: 500
Anybody that harbours any kind of hope that Perron, Gordon and Ference are enough to get this team within a light-year of the playoffs should go have a look at just how spectacularly bad a very similar roster was last year.

Sheeshta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 03:43 PM
  #118
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yup and my post was sarcastic in nature.
whooosh, right over my head

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 03:46 PM
  #119
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,609
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeshta View Post
Anybody that harbours any kind of hope that Perron, Gordon and Ference are enough to get this team within a light-year of the playoffs should go have a look at just how spectacularly bad a very similar roster was last year.
so, just how many players should be gotten rid of?

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 04:01 PM
  #120
Aequitas
Registered User
 
Aequitas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Fort McMurray
Country: Canada
Posts: 646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeshta View Post
Anybody that harbours any kind of hope that Perron, Gordon and Ference are enough to get this team within a light-year of the playoffs should go have a look at just how spectacularly bad a very similar roster was last year.
Ya because the fact that
we had two rookies (one in the top 6 one in the top 4) and a sophmore on the top line means we will be exactly the same as last year. We have improved over last year on paper not to mention any improvements our youth experience. This team will be better the question is how much. They may not have done enough for playoffs but to compare this year to last year is a joke.

Aequitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 04:15 PM
  #121
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,239
vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeshta View Post
Anybody that harbours any kind of hope that Perron, Gordon and Ference are enough to get this team within a light-year of the playoffs should go have a look at just how spectacularly bad a very similar roster was last year.
The fact that you are completely dismissive of the impact coaching has on cumulative numbers like this is baffling to say the least.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 04:23 PM
  #122
Sheeshta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
The fact that you are completely dismissive of the impact coaching has on cumulative numbers like this is baffling to say the least.
I'm not dismissive at all. Krueger was an atrociously bad coach, and if he was replaced by a great, proven NHL coach it'd be something I'd find worth mentioning when trying to make intelligent predictions, the way that Perron is a proven improvement over MPS, the way that Ference is a proven improvement over, say, Corey Potter.

However, the Oilers hired a rookie who has no track record, so there's no data to look at. The Oilers were a profoundly bad team last year (that were helped to the poor finish they did achieve with a +1000 PDO) that have improved demonstrably in very few areas, and dramatically in none.

I totally get the allure of wanting to believe we'll be better. I get that people are expecting J. Schultz and Yak to be leaps better than they were last season. People had the same expectation of Nuge in his sophomore year and it didn't happen. You can't rely on "the kids getting better" to dramatically improve this team.


Last edited by Sheeshta: 08-18-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Sheeshta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 05:49 PM
  #123
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yup and my post was sarcastic in nature.
Yeah you sure got a lot of people with that

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 05:56 PM
  #124
thalegion
Registered User
 
thalegion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,994
vCash: 500
The answer to your question is 42, thats how improved the oilers are

thalegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 05:59 PM
  #125
Dorian2
Positional Bias.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yup and my post was sarcastic in nature.
Thanks for clarifying that for me Smackdaddy. I thought it was a little out of the ordinary for a poster like yourself.

But my reply still stands for a few other posters.

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.