HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Michael McCarron Thread - Part II : Bigger, Stronger and Meaner

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2013, 10:29 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Wow... Comparisons actually are all over the place around here... some look like they're way off.
He's a pretty unique player when factoring in the fact he's coming from a league where he really couldn't fight.

I'm hoping he can be a Bryan Bickel in the playoffs type. A complementry, space making big bodied guy who can play on any line in your top 9.

If he can fight on top of that? All the better, but when you're that size, the guy's you'd be fighting are biggest and meanest guys in the league. he's still got a LONG ways to go before challenging any of those guys.

Old
08-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Subban Fan

At this point, Keith Primeau is the best comparison imo!

Old
08-15-2013, 11:16 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban Fan View Post
At this point, Keith Primeau is the best comparison imo!
If we're talking absolute upside, sure.

Best Case: Keith Primeau
Worst Case: Brian Boyle
Most Likely: Brian Bickell

Old
08-15-2013, 11:24 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
If we're talking absolute upside, sure.

Best Case: Keith Primeau
Worst Case: Brian Boyle
Most Likely: Brian Bickell
Well really, worst case would be Hugh Jessiman or some bust that we never heard of because he never even made the AHL.

Old
08-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Well really, worst case would be Hugh Jessiman or some bust that we never heard of because he never even made the AHL.
Might be the case, but he's a way better skater than Jessiman ever was, I think he will play in the NHL, no matter what. I like hogtownhabsfan's comparisons. I think it's where we'll see the work of Mellanby, Lapointe and company...

Old
08-15-2013, 12:25 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
He did make the AHL and he's still playing in it. He's actualy quite a good AHLer.

Old
08-16-2013, 03:56 AM
Mr. Hab

I have no choice!! I have to add more comparisons since some of you added some!! (whether you like comparisons...or not!):

Keith Primeau (great comparison!)
Bikell
Milan Lucic
Ryan Malone
Blake Wheeler
Brian Boyle

I think it's ''montreal'' who came up with Keith Primeau (correct me if I'm wrong!), well...great comparison!!

Old
08-16-2013, 04:48 AM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
He did make the AHL and he's still playing in it. He's actualy quite a good AHLer.
He's been a decent ahler at best , especially considering his pedigree.
He recently signed in the KHL for Zagreb.

Old
08-16-2013, 08:56 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
I know, that's why I said "or".

But do you not agree that the worst-case scenario would be that McCarron becomes an AHLer or worse? That's all I was saying.

Old
08-16-2013, 11:04 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
I know, that's why I said "or".

But do you not agree that the worst-case scenario would be that McCarron becomes an AHLer or worse? That's all I was saying.
Oups! I didnt saw the "or". Yea not making the NHL is the worst case scenario.

Old
08-16-2013, 01:07 PM
S Bah

Comparing Mike McCarron's upside to that of Brian Bickell's beyond my scope, IMO he's already at that level so Bust isn't even in the conversation. With the quality of personnel in charge of Mike's next two years of growth and experience, the very minimum that fans should have on their mind is how great he will be starting in the NHL.

The Hunter's are basically the epitome of Junior Hockey Excellence in Canada. (World IMO) Add to that the exceptional team that the Habs have put in place to assist their Prospects in becoming the best they can be. It can only be expected that having a player of McCarron's dimensions and abilities combined with his drive to become the best, along with his passion to play hockey in the Mecca (Montreal Que.), success is a given not a question mark.

Here's hoping that I need not continue having to reassure fans about Mike McCarron's future with the Habs. Let's pursue more productive conversations, lets say the future the Habs will have when Mike & Sebastian Collberg join the team already in place.

Old
08-16-2013, 01:19 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Comparing Mike McCarron's upside to that of Brian Bickell's beyond my scope, IMO he's already at that level so Bust isn't even in the conversation. With the quality of personnel in charge of Mike's next two years of growth and experience, the very minimum that fans should have on their mind is how great he will be starting in the NHL.

The Hunter's are basically the epitome of Junior Hockey Excellence in Canada. (World IMO) Add to that the exceptional team that the Habs have put in place to assist their Prospects in becoming the best they can be. It can only be expected that having a player of McCarron's dimensions and abilities combined with his drive to become the best, along with his passion to play hockey in the Mecca (Montreal Que.), success is a given not a question mark.

Here's hoping that I need not continue having to reassure fans about Mike McCarron's future with the Habs. Let's pursue more productive conversations, lets say the future the Habs will have when Mike & Sebastian Collberg join the team already in place.
The problem with mike is some fans will give up on him in one year because his production might not be the greatest. But what timmins said "his development is alot like tinordi's" so I would give him one year to develop and then expect more production in the ohl next season. I think his game is almost better suited for the pros anyway

Old
08-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
The problem with mike is some fans will give up on him in one year because his production might not be the greatest. But what timmins said "his development is alot like tinordi's" so I would give him one year to develop and then expect more production in the ohl next season. I think his game is almost better suited for the pros anyway
And he's a power forward...not a skilled guy, but some people will still expect 70 points out of him while they should be happy if he reach the 50 points mark. He'll bring a lot more than points on the table.

Old
08-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Le CH

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post

Ugh, hate posts like this. He was picked 25th overall only 6 weeks ago... lets not get carried away. I'm hoping he was an excellent pick but lets not assume he's a blue chip, can't miss prospect just yet.

Old
08-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
And he's a power forward...not a skilled guy, but some people will still expect 70 points out of him while they should be happy if he reach the 50 points mark. He'll bring a lot more than points on the table.

Actually - you may be underestimating his skill level. Had a great chat with a crossover scout from the other eastern division this week. He really liked the pick....doesn't think he'll be as tough as Lucic, but said he has quite a bit more skill than Lucic. A lot better skater and better hands. He was at the Ivan Hlinka tourney..so he didn't see Mac at the U-20 camp, but told me he heard from pro scouts that McCarron was very impressive at the camp.

The scout also noted that de la Rose impressed scouts at the U-20's as well. He likes de la Rose quite a bit - had him in the 20th overall range. Figures he'll be a third line center or a second-line winger. Doesn't think he has great offensive upside, but with his size, great skating abilities and competitiveness, thinks "he'll be able to play anywhere for you."

Also praised Lehkonen's skill level..says he was one of the most talented players in the draft whose only drawback was his size. He also liked the Fucale selection..says he was a first-round talent.

Old
08-17-2013, 04:25 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

If McCarron was 6'0 tall, around which round would he have been drafted?

EDIT: Talking about his offensive ceiling, because he was drafted for his size, right?

Last edited by FrontierPsyCHiatrist*: 08-17-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old
08-17-2013, 04:30 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHabs24 View Post
I would imagine 2nd or 3rd

Old
08-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Interesting question. 3rd or 4th? Who knows.

Old
08-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
If you're factoring in a height/weight change, might as well change the player entirely. His speed and skating could be better and his shot as well. Then we are not looking at a mammoth of a power-forward winger but a quick, goal scoring winger. That changes the dynamic of who he is and where he goes on draft day.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
08-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
If Abe Lincoln had been a Nazi, would he have freed the slaves?

Old
08-17-2013, 07:10 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post

Talking about his offensive ceiling if you prefer, because Montreal obviously drafted him for his size

Old
08-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Talking about his offensive ceiling if you prefer, because Montreal obviously drafted him for his size
Well that's like asking if Chara would still be a good defenseman if he wasn't 6'9 or if Desharnais would be a first line center if he was 6 feet instead if 5'6. It's irrelevant because it's not the case.

Old
08-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
His size is a significant factor in his offensive ceiling....this is a completely absurd and ludicrous train of thought that is being demonstrated in this question of his ceiling if he was 6 inches shorter.

What would Gretzky's ceiling be if he was a poor passer?
What would Hull's ceiling be if he had a poor shot?
What would Bure's ceiling be if he was a poor skater?

Equally silly questions......

Old
08-17-2013, 07:30 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
His size is a significant factor in his offensive ceiling....this is a completely absurd and ludicrous train of thought that is being demonstrated in this question of his ceiling if he was 6 inches shorter.

What would Gretzky's ceiling be if he was a poor passer? Lemieux would've been a better player
What would Hull's ceiling be if he had a poor shot? Never watched him play but I guess still an elite player
What would Bure's ceiling be if he was a poor skater? Kovalev

Equally silly questions......
I don't think it's some silly questions... but nobody has the nuts to answer

Old
08-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
OMG somebody needs to photoshop Lincoln's head on to Hitler's body in the scene from Inglorious Basterds lol

"Nein, nein, nein, nein, nein, nein , NEIN!"

Closed Thread