HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brent Burns (SJS) to the Habs

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-17-2013, 01:29 PM
  #126
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!
 
DuckEatinShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose
Posts: 5,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
It's clear that Burns isn't available, at least in the eyes of Sharks' fans. This is truly fair as each fan base has their favourites and I can certainly appreciate that.

Would Big Joe be available then? If so, at what (realistic) price?
Joe is not quite as untouchable as Burns, but he's still pretty untouchable. Plus, he has a NMC, likes it here and hates going to pressure-cooker markets like Montreal.

Also, Joe's value is less than Burns'.

DuckEatinShark is offline  
Old
08-17-2013, 01:36 PM
  #127
Chacal667
Registered User
 
Chacal667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Buying time for Galchenyuk to develop. He's also excellent on faceoffs, something lacking in Montreal.
that is completely false, it is something that he need to improve, it is probably one of the main reason why he play at the wing for the moment.

Chacal667 is offline  
Old
08-17-2013, 01:43 PM
  #128
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,824
vCash: 500
Honestly, even with an overpayment Id probably keep burns.

5.76 for a guy like that? Also, im very curious as to what he can do over 82 gp at F. what if he scores 70-80 points? beasts it in the playoffs? I dunno...but its more "worth it" to explore that possibility than trade him, because he has the potential to raise his value even further than it is.

if he does become that go to guy at F, wed have a pretty easy job re-tooling. actually either way we have something to build around if we move him back to D. im more wait and see on burns though, but i doubt youd get us to bite on a trade even if the value is fair.

do0glas is offline  
Old
08-17-2013, 01:44 PM
  #129
Treb
Registered User
 
Treb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,405
vCash: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal667 View Post
that is completely false, it is something that he need to improve, it is probably one of the main reason why he play at the wing for the moment.
He was saying why he wanted Joe.

Treb is offline  
Old
08-17-2013, 01:49 PM
  #130
overlords
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 26,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Buying time for Galchenyuk to develop. He's also excellent on faceoffs, something lacking in Montreal.
"Buying time"? Wut?

We have plekanec and Eller who are sharing the lion's share of center responsibilities until Galchenyuk is ready. We have absolutely no reason to go after a 34 year old Joe.

And faceoffs are not important enough to warrant such a move. Or any move, really.

overlords is offline  
Old
08-17-2013, 01:51 PM
  #131
jgoud*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
I'd encourage realistic comments.


Because he fills a need in Montreal. Sizable d-man, right handed, still young enough. In this case, because of the Sharks' depth on defense, he's being used at forward so that's why I thought of him.
Before making trade proposals you should probably look at both team's needs and go from there. There is no reason for San Jose to trade Burns and if they were going to there would be something big and valuable going their way. Bourque being the main piece going the other way won't even be close. Galchenyuk is a realistic piece to trade if you want Burns.

jgoud* is offline  
Old
08-17-2013, 01:58 PM
  #132
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 23,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
Why would the Habs want a 34 yr old Thornton? That totally goes against the building philosophy that MB is using. The Habs are not a contender and giving up the future for a player in the twilight of his career doesn't make any sense.
Twilight of his career? He's still the best forward on the sharks. Don't want to trade him for lesser players just because they're younger.

Clowe Me is online now  
Old
08-17-2013, 02:09 PM
  #133
crowi
Registered Plug
 
crowi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
I hope SJS trades Burns to MTL. I'd be happy.

Seriously though, if Burns was in MTL instead of SJS, this whole debate would just be reversed and possibly even more volatile. Not a single team would want to trade a guy like Burns right now.

crowi is offline  
Old
08-17-2013, 03:43 PM
  #134
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal667 View Post
that is completely false, it is something that he need to improve, it is probably one of the main reason why he play at the wing for the moment.
Thornton's faceoffs' percentage was 58.5% last season and 57.1% in the playoffs. What's good in your books? In comparison, Plekanec was 50.6%, Desharnais 50.0% and Eller 49.3%...

EDIT: Oh, you're referring to Galchenyuk? I was talking about Thornton as I was asked why the Habs would need him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoud View Post
Before making trade proposals you should probably look at both team's needs and go from there. There is no reason for San Jose to trade Burns and if they were going to there would be something big and valuable going their way. Bourque being the main piece going the other way won't even be close. Galchenyuk is a realistic piece to trade if you want Burns.
You should read the thread before commenting as I did not make any proposal, and that's why I used the "Value of..." to start the thread. I did not suggest Bourque.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
08-17-2013, 04:05 PM
  #135
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 38,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal667 View Post
you are saying that you have a better knowledge of Burns than his assistant coach with the Wild ?
One, there isn't much leading to the statement even being said. Two, even if it was, it doesn't mean that he was correct. Three, even if he has better knowledge of Burns, it doesn't mean that he's going to be accurate with all his thoughts on the player. Four, I'm sure there are many coaches who have had varying opinions of various things regarding Brent Burns. Not every coach he has offers the same opinion on everything about him.

This is why what you say in this post is the classic and often incorrect thought process to take...it's also quite sheepish.

Pinkfloyd is online now  
Old
08-17-2013, 08:01 PM
  #136
FeedingFrenzy
Registered User
 
FeedingFrenzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,652
vCash: 500
Mark your calendar when SJ comes to Montreal, seeing Burns live on the wing is something to behold.. The guy is a beast, fearless and unrelenting.. I get giddy watching him up close on the ice.. Burns will retire a Shark. Over-paid???

FeedingFrenzy is offline  
Old
08-17-2013, 09:35 PM
  #137
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Latvia
Posts: 23,285
vCash: 500
The OP got his answer, and it's only gone downhill from there.

LatvianTwist is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.