HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brent Burns (SJS) to the Habs

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2013, 01:29 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
It's clear that Burns isn't available, at least in the eyes of Sharks' fans. This is truly fair as each fan base has their favourites and I can certainly appreciate that.

Would Big Joe be available then? If so, at what (realistic) price?
Joe is not quite as untouchable as Burns, but he's still pretty untouchable. Plus, he has a NMC, likes it here and hates going to pressure-cooker markets like Montreal.

Also, Joe's value is less than Burns'.

Old
08-17-2013, 01:36 PM
Chacal667

Quote:
Buying time for Galchenyuk to develop. He's also excellent on faceoffs, something lacking in Montreal.
that is completely false, it is something that he need to improve, it is probably one of the main reason why he play at the wing for the moment.

Old
08-17-2013, 01:43 PM
do0glas

Honestly, even with an overpayment Id probably keep burns.

5.76 for a guy like that? Also, im very curious as to what he can do over 82 gp at F. what if he scores 70-80 points? beasts it in the playoffs? I dunno...but its more "worth it" to explore that possibility than trade him, because he has the potential to raise his value even further than it is.

if he does become that go to guy at F, wed have a pretty easy job re-tooling. actually either way we have something to build around if we move him back to D. im more wait and see on burns though, but i doubt youd get us to bite on a trade even if the value is fair.

Old
08-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Treb

vCash: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal667 View Post
that is completely false, it is something that he need to improve, it is probably one of the main reason why he play at the wing for the moment.
He was saying why he wanted Joe.

Old
08-17-2013, 01:49 PM
overlords
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Buying time for Galchenyuk to develop. He's also excellent on faceoffs, something lacking in Montreal.
"Buying time"? Wut?

We have plekanec and Eller who are sharing the lion's share of center responsibilities until Galchenyuk is ready. We have absolutely no reason to go after a 34 year old Joe.

And faceoffs are not important enough to warrant such a move. Or any move, really.

Old
08-17-2013, 01:51 PM
jgoud*

Quote:
I'd encourage realistic comments.

Because he fills a need in Montreal. Sizable d-man, right handed, still young enough. In this case, because of the Sharks' depth on defense, he's being used at forward so that's why I thought of him.
Before making trade proposals you should probably look at both team's needs and go from there. There is no reason for San Jose to trade Burns and if they were going to there would be something big and valuable going their way. Bourque being the main piece going the other way won't even be close. Galchenyuk is a realistic piece to trade if you want Burns.

Old
08-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
Why would the Habs want a 34 yr old Thornton? That totally goes against the building philosophy that MB is using. The Habs are not a contender and giving up the future for a player in the twilight of his career doesn't make any sense.
Twilight of his career? He's still the best forward on the sharks. Don't want to trade him for lesser players just because they're younger.

Old
08-17-2013, 02:09 PM
crowi
Registered Plug

I hope SJS trades Burns to MTL. I'd be happy.

Seriously though, if Burns was in MTL instead of SJS, this whole debate would just be reversed and possibly even more volatile. Not a single team would want to trade a guy like Burns right now.

Old
08-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Thornton's faceoffs' percentage was 58.5% last season and 57.1% in the playoffs. What's good in your books? In comparison, Plekanec was 50.6%, Desharnais 50.0% and Eller 49.3%...

EDIT: Oh, you're referring to Galchenyuk? I was talking about Thornton as I was asked why the Habs would need him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoud View Post
Before making trade proposals you should probably look at both team's needs and go from there. There is no reason for San Jose to trade Burns and if they were going to there would be something big and valuable going their way. Bourque being the main piece going the other way won't even be close. Galchenyuk is a realistic piece to trade if you want Burns.
You should read the thread before commenting as I did not make any proposal, and that's why I used the "Value of..." to start the thread. I did not suggest Bourque.

Old
08-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
you are saying that you have a better knowledge of Burns than his assistant coach with the Wild ?
One, there isn't much leading to the statement even being said. Two, even if it was, it doesn't mean that he was correct. Three, even if he has better knowledge of Burns, it doesn't mean that he's going to be accurate with all his thoughts on the player. Four, I'm sure there are many coaches who have had varying opinions of various things regarding Brent Burns. Not every coach he has offers the same opinion on everything about him.

This is why what you say in this post is the classic and often incorrect thought process to take...it's also quite sheepish.

Old
08-17-2013, 08:01 PM
FeedingFrenzy

Mark your calendar when SJ comes to Montreal, seeing Burns live on the wing is something to behold.. The guy is a beast, fearless and unrelenting.. I get giddy watching him up close on the ice.. Burns will retire a Shark. Over-paid???

Old
08-17-2013, 09:35 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

The OP got his answer, and it's only gone downhill from there.

Closed Thread