HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly (2012, 5th overall, Toronto) II

Old
08-17-2013, 08:11 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
How does Rielly compare to Brian Campbell, style-wise?

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 11:50 AM
sansabri
#blocktheboat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
How does Rielly compare to Brian Campbell, style-wise?
the only thing they have in common is that they're both excellent skaters with a very solid transition game and can run power plays.

Rielly is a much more cerebral player ( with and without the puck ) and rarely makes mistakes in his own zone. the only real knock on him is how he's going to handle bigger forwards in the NHL. looks to have the right attitude and the drive to succeed.

definitely some major upside to him.

sansabri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
I'd compare Rielly more to Duncan Keith than any other player.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel2Reel View Post
Any news on Rielly?
https://twitter.com/TwistSport/statu...35453747666945

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 02:15 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
That was pretty sick.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 02:50 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
the only thing they have in common is that they're both excellent skaters with a very solid transition game and can run power plays.

Rielly is a much more cerebral player ( with and without the puck ) and rarely makes mistakes in his own zone. the only real knock on him is how he's going to handle bigger forwards in the NHL. looks to have the right attitude and the drive to succeed.

definitely some major upside to him.
He definitely makes mistakes in his own zone. He's a good player but his defensive abilities do need work.

snizzbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowNoMo View Post
He definitely makes mistakes in his own zone. He's a good player but his defensive abilities do need work.
"without the puck" needs to be added to that sentence. While he does make mistakes, his game is based off of making the right/smart play when he has the puck in the d zone. I'd say defensive ability isn't really the problem, its more about the need to be more aggressive in the defensive zone. He definitely has the strength but he hesitates too often in my opinion.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 05:49 AM
Reel2Reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
what kind of news are you looking for? he just completed the WJC summer camp.

it's either the NHL or WHL for him.
Just haven't heard much about him in the last little while. Was wondering if people think he's gunna make the leafs roster this season or not mostly.

Reel2Reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 09:16 AM
Sundinisagod
just give'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel2Reel View Post
Just haven't heard much about him in the last little while. Was wondering if people think he's gunna make the leafs roster this season or not mostly.

My guess is NO. He was ok for the Marlies but he doesn't look NHL ready. However it will come down to his training camp and pre-season really, if he shines he'll get his chance. It's too bad he's not eligible to play in the AHL this year, that would be best for his development imho.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 09:23 AM
416Leafer

I doubt he make the Leafs roster.

We already have Phaneuf, Gardiner, Liles, and Franson as guys who can create offence from the blueline.

Give it another year, by the 2014-2015 season, Rielly will have spent two extra years in Junior, which is pretty standard for highly drafted defencemen. And then im assuming that at least one of Phaneuf/Franson/Liles will be gone by then.

Wildcard is if one of those guys gets traded before this season starts. But even then, we'd still be pretty deep for offensively oriented blueliners. No need to rush him.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by facelessjoe1990 View Post
How is he progressing in his AHL career? When do people think he will be ready for the NHL?

Wasn't he one of the last people to be cut from training camp?
I am not sure he will be ready this year but I think the odds are good that he can make the jump some time next year (whether it is after training camp or mid-season).

He lacks two things now that hold him back from making he jump.

1)aggressiveness in the back-end. His positioning is okay, he can read plays very well and he has a good active stick, but man he is soft on forwards who go in the corners. Rielly is a decently strong kid, he should be using that strength!!

2) Confidence playing against NHLers. Rielly has admitted that when playing with NHLers, all he tries to do is pass others the puck- letting them control the game. He considers himself inferior to them (which is true in some respect, but not the mindset he should be heading into training camp with). What he really should be doing is controlling the game himself, he can do it.

Otherwise he's good to make the jump. His skating, stickhandling and creativity are all top-class, his size and fitness are above average and his shot isn't half bad. He plays a lot like John Michael Liles, although he is about 20 pounds bigger and way more skilled... so I feel he can reach a much higher level of play than JML ever did.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Will the Moose Jaw Warriors trade Morgan Rielly?

Morgan Rielly is in a unique situation where he's not eligible to play in the AHL this year but he may be too good to return to the WHL for a full season. The Moose Jaw Warriors are one of the lesser talented teams in the WHL and there were rumours last season that the Portland Winterhawks were in the market for Rielly.

Would it be realistic to think that the Warriors will trade Rielly? It would surely help their rebuild as the return would be huge.

The Toronto Maple Leafs will give him a close look at camp but are in a dilemma where they don't want to rush Rielly but may also be hesitant about sending him back to Moose Jaw. Chances are that if Rielly was returning to the WHL with an organization like Portland, Dave Nonis would be more comfortable with Rielly going back.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 02:58 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

They said they wouldn't.. and they aren't gonna be terrible this year if they have Rielly so I duno.

Old
09-10-2013, 09:21 AM
416Leafer

Depends how the season goes. I think theyll be better than last year. If theyre looking like a playoff team in a few months, expect him to stay.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:28 AM
kingdok

Is there not any chance Rielly makes the Leafs this season?

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:44 AM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four1 Lead View Post
Morgan Rielly is in a unique situation where he's not eligible to play in the AHL this year but he may be too good to return to the WHL for a full season. The Moose Jaw Warriors are one of the lesser talented teams in the WHL and there were rumours last season that the Portland Winterhawks were in the market for Rielly.

Would it be realistic to think that the Warriors will trade Rielly? It would surely help their rebuild as the return would be huge.

The Toronto Maple Leafs will give him a close look at camp but are in a dilemma where they don't want to rush Rielly but may also be hesitant about sending him back to Moose Jaw. Chances are that if Rielly was returning to the WHL with an organization like Portland, Dave Nonis would be more comfortable with Rielly going back.
First of all, Toronto should be comfortable with Rielly going back to MJ because it's a well run franchise, (and wasn't just fined and punished for illegal practices as Portland just were). Secondly, MJ will likely wait and see where they are placed after the WJC, and the WHL trade deadline. If they are out of the playoffs, they should be able to recoup a lot of assets from a contending team in exchange for Rielly. Unless a WHL team was offering the world for Rielly right now, it makes no sense to trade him until the deadline, when the prices are historically higher (remember what Saskatoon paid Brandon for Brayden Schenn?)

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 12:01 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGV View Post
Is there not any chance Rielly makes the Leafs this season?
There definitely is a chance. But if not..

Old
09-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Imagine if Jones goes back to Portland for some reason. A pairing of Jones and Rielly would be crazy

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

all depends how Moose Jaw is this year. I know they said last season they would never trade him. But if they are low in the standings, they would be out of their mind not trading him because Moose Jaw would get a ridiculously unreal return back for him. Moose Jaw already has a pretty solid group of youth and a good return could make them real dangerous in the next year or 2. Plus I'm sure Morgan would love an opprtunity for a championship if Moose Jaw doesn't do well. Time will tell...

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 01:06 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression

vCash: 50
maybe at the deadline, otherwise not likely.

i'm expecting big numbers from point, fioretti and eberle so it's not like his point production is going to hurt returning to moose jaw.

Last edited by skip2mybordeleau: 09-11-2013 at 12:11 AM.
skip2mybordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 04:30 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
I still don't see it. He's the face of that franchise and they'll be battling to be a playoff team this season. He's a huge difference maker and could be the difference between them being a 10 or 11 seed in the conference or a 4 or 5 seed.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 07:25 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I still don't see it. He's the face of that franchise and they'll be battling to be a playoff team this season. He's a huge difference maker and could be the difference between them being a 10 or 11 seed in the conference or a 4 or 5 seed.
You're probably right. Sadly, it's decisions like that that keep treadmill organizations permanently on the treadmill. Lowry was the face of the Broncos last year and their unwillingness to move him last year is going to haunt their organization for years. The same will likely be true of Moose Jaw.

dickiedunnwrotethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 12:19 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiedunnwrotethis View Post
You're probably right. Sadly, it's decisions like that that keep treadmill organizations permanently on the treadmill. Lowry was the face of the Broncos last year and their unwillingness to move him last year is going to haunt their organization for years. The same will likely be true of Moose Jaw.
That's junior hockey though. For me, having star players like Lowry, Rielly etc play their entire careers in one spot is special and often necessary. It builds culture and legacy. For me, that is necessary to be seen as a strong franchise.

Sure, they could have got a boatload for a guy like Lowry last year, but you have to show confidence in your scouting staff. Have confidence that you can continue to be a good team, without trading guys like that to help stock the cupboard.

There are obviously different circumstances. Eberle in Regina is a good example of a situation that should have been handled differently. They were an awful team with him. They could have sped up their rebuild by two years just by dealing him.

In Swift Current's case last year, they were still a playoff team. For a franchise like that, just getting into the playoffs is HUGE. It can be the difference between losing $50,000-$100,000 and breaking even or turning a slight profit.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 01:03 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
That's junior hockey though. For me, having star players like Lowry, Rielly etc play their entire careers in one spot is special and often necessary. It builds culture and legacy. For me, that is necessary to be seen as a strong franchise.

Sure, they could have got a boatload for a guy like Lowry last year, but you have to show confidence in your scouting staff. Have confidence that you can continue to be a good team, without trading guys like that to help stock the cupboard.

There are obviously different circumstances. Eberle in Regina is a good example of a situation that should have been handled differently. They were an awful team with him. They could have sped up their rebuild by two years just by dealing him.

In Swift Current's case last year, they were still a playoff team. For a franchise like that, just getting into the playoffs is HUGE. It can be the difference between losing $50,000-$100,000 and breaking even or turning a slight profit.
For me I compare this more to Eberle/Regina than Swift Current/Lowry.

What legacy is Moose Jaw retaining by not flipping Rielly at the deadline? I don't know the east that well, but I don't see Moose Jaw being a Rielly away from a Chynoweth. Not for a second really, so is legacy more important than building for a championship in the future? I don't know why moving a player like this for high picks and top prospects and good young WHLers shows a lack of confidence in the scouting staff. I think it gives the scouting staff a dangling carrot myself.

It's true decisions like this and treadmill teams are the nature of Junior hockey, but there has to be a point where somebody bucks that trend.

The price for Rielly would be huge, just look what Edmundsen went for. Build around your 96's.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 07:44 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:

Not to derail this thread, but small market teams can't afford to make short term decisions. It's all about long term asset management. The Broncos were around the 7th seed at the trade deadline. They were likely going to face Calgary where they would be significant underdogs. In the unlikely event they pulled an upset, they would have then faced Edmonton as prohibitive underdogs. Like most teams tagged with the label "teams nobody wants to face in the playoffs" they lost and added a mere 2 playoff dates to their ledger. Trade Lowry/Scarlett and they likely miss those 2 playoff games, but with the assets they would have accrued they would have been in postion to take a decent run this year (3-5 home dates) and a deep run in 2014-2015 (6-10 home games). Instead, another treadmill year with maybe another couple of home playoff games. Not exactly a profile in courage by Lamb.

dickiedunnwrotethis is offline   Reply With Quote