HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Stadium Series: Isles vs Rangers @ Yankee stadium **Logo Released Post 286**

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2013, 01:46 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300

Too bad it was cloudy out and Moulson couldnt sport the Spicoli shades again....

Old
08-08-2013, 04:06 PM
19 in a row

vCash: 500
Help..OK I realize I am most likely missing something but other than the fact that there is some spectacle aspect to this, what is the appeal to attend? I am entitled to 8 tix but am leaning towards passing... I think my rep said they will start at $100... Taking the day off in order to be home in time to travel all the way to the bronx in the middle of the week in January where the majority of fans may be ranger fans and to sit very far away in the freezing cold, I am missing what you guys see. Sure I get the pond hockey aspect and yes I go to NFL games in january but I am not trying to follow a tiny puck from so far away(and the late january games mean playoffs in the NFL)..and this doesnt seem like a home game to me with the way they have set it up. So many here seem excited about this, someone talk me off the ledge PLEASE and tell me what I am missing here ..otherwise this is an emperor has no clothes scenario here for me where the only reason I have any interest is because everyone else is saying we should and not because I really see the appeal..

Old
08-08-2013, 04:26 PM
lost35*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
Help..OK I realize I am most likely missing something but other than the fact that there is some spectacle aspect to this, what is the appeal to attend? I am entitled to 8 tix but am leaning towards passing... I think my rep said they will start at $100... Taking the day off in order to be home in time to travel all the way to the bronx in the middle of the week in January where the majority of fans may be ranger fans and to sit very far away in the freezing cold, I am missing what you guys see. Sure I get the pond hockey aspect and yes I go to NFL games in january but I am not trying to follow a tiny puck from so far away(and the late january games mean playoffs in the NFL)..and this doesnt seem like a home game to me with the way they have set it up. So many here seem excited about this, someone talk me off the ledge PLEASE and tell me what I am missing here ..otherwise this is an emperor has no clothes scenario here for me where the only reason I have any interest is because everyone else is saying we should and not because I really see the appeal..
I will buy those 8 tickets and give you an extra $20 for each of them

at the very least you should buy them and sell them to an Isles fan because I guarantee it is going to be a hot ticket and there is no point in having any extra Ranger fans in the place

and the appeal is definitely the spectacle, yes the sightlines are going to be very crappy for the most part and if it is cold it will make it worse, but it is a once in a lifetime event and that is the real appeal

I would definitely not pass on tickets if you have the chance to get them, at the least you can always sell them because I can assure you it is going to be a hot ticket

Old
08-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
It's truly about the uniqueness of the situation and certainly the spectacle. There's no practical reason to want to attend this game aside to say that you were there rooting on your favorite team after they were finally recognized by the league and the network as being legitimate enough to take part in such an event.

Personally, I'd be thrilled to go, but you're not wrong for feeling the way you do.

Old
08-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Well first off, you easily buy all 8 and worst case is you sell em off later for a profit.

2ndly, It's all about saying you were there. It's a celebration of the sport and with the way our team is shaping up, could be one of those games that put these Islanders down the path to greatness. I'm not saying we'll win the cup next year by any means, but winning a big pressure filled game like this can do a lot for a young club.

It's history and I wanna be there.

Old
08-08-2013, 07:39 PM
19 in a row

thanks for the responses...

Old
08-08-2013, 07:57 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
i went to the alumni game in philly in 2012 and i sat in the 4th to last row of the upper deck and i was shocked at how well i saw everything. it wont be too bad except in the lower level

Old
08-08-2013, 11:05 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
i agree with you one hundred percent man.
the so-called "spectacle" or "uniqueness" of these games wore off when the league decided to do it every year. once every 5 years would be enough and the game would keep its "spectacle"appeal. and theyre doing what, 6 games this year alone? man, talk about overkill......
$100.00 tickets are probably so bad that you would end up watching most of the game on the jumbo-tron screen. then you get to spend what......eight or ten dollars for a beer, or five dollars for a soda? five or six dollars for a hot dog or nachos? and you get to do all this while sitting outside in new york.....IN THE DEAD OF WINTER!!!!????
sounds like a real bargain too me man.........

Old
08-09-2013, 02:29 AM
SouthShore91

Quote:
I'll buy at-least three of those tickets if you end up buying and selling them

Old
08-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShore91 View Post
I'll buy at-least three of those tickets if you end up buying and selling them
And I'd be interested in the remainder, provided that there's at least 4 left!

Old
08-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
i agree with you one hundred percent man.
the so-called "spectacle" or "uniqueness" of these games wore off when the league decided to do it every year. once every 5 years would be enough and the game would keep its "spectacle"appeal. and theyre doing what, 6 games this year alone? man, talk about overkill......
$100.00 tickets are probably so bad that you would end up watching most of the game on the jumbo-tron screen. then you get to spend what......eight or ten dollars for a beer, or five dollars for a soda? five or six dollars for a hot dog or nachos? and you get to do all this while sitting outside in new york.....IN THE DEAD OF WINTER!!!!????
sounds like a real bargain too me man.........
The league may do it every year. But YOUR team doesn't play in one every year (unless you are the Pens). This is a once in a lifetime experience. I know I won't be able to see ****, I know I will be cold, I know I will plop down what amounts to a small fortune (for me anyway). But how many times are the Islanders going to play the Rangers in Yankee stadium!? I can't imagine regretting the decision to go to this game.

The only thing that would make this better is if the league allocates the tickets to the Islanders and Rangers fans by section (i.e. third base side gets allocated to Ranger season ticket holders, first base side gets allocated to Islanders season ticket holders). But its going to be great nonetheless.

Old
08-09-2013, 01:44 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Everyone says this game will be watered down and there will be less mystique about it, but both of these games will sell out and get huge ratings on TV(curious about our game being on Wednesday on NBCSN). The other outdoor games will sell out and have great ratings as well. As long as these games are still selling out, they're not watered down to the fans, and that's what is most important. Sure, if you have 6 every year, it won't be that one big event, but you get teams like the Devils and Islanders who wouldn't be sniffing a Winter Classic. Fans have wanted their teams in these games, and they're finally getting it, and I only see positive exposure for the game as a whole. The NY games are going to be piggy backing off the Super Bowl, which is an awesome time to try and steal some media that otherwise would look the other way.

Old
08-09-2013, 01:48 PM
scott99

Oddly enough, I noticed Tavares' jersey didn't have an "A" OR a "C". Wonder if it was just some generic tavares jersey they had lying around. Mine doesn't have a "C" cause I bought it 3 years ago.

Old
08-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Oddly enough, I noticed Tavares' jersey didn't have an "A" OR a "C". Wonder if it was just some generic tavares jersey they had lying around. Mine doesn't have a "C" cause I bought it 3 years ago.
He has not been officially named Captain, which would probably explain why he's not wearing a C. Kind of surprised he wasn't wearing an A though, which he was.

I don't think C or A's won't happen till training camp. In the past players have voted for who the Captain is.

08-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Islanders1932

Quote:
Please please let me buy 2 tickets off of you!

Old
08-17-2013, 09:44 AM
isles309

Hey, does anyone know which net the isles shoot twice? Is it the 1st base or 3rd base side? Thanks.

Old
08-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles309 View Post
Hey, does anyone know which net the isles shoot twice? Is it the 1st base or 3rd base side? Thanks.
All guesswork on my part, but if they're the 'Home' team then they'll have the Yankees dugout side (1st base) and would then shoot toward the 3rd base side twice.

Old
08-17-2013, 01:36 PM
Selanne00008

Just for some kind of reference:

I was in the upper deck at Ralph Wilson for the sabres pens game in I wanna guess 2006-2007?

I could see just fine, but I'm also Not a casual fan. There's a lot of events outside the stadium in buffalo. Huge ice sculptures, contests, memorabilia, tailgating,p. it was a blast, and it was 25/30 degrees out. It sold out and that stadium hold 80,000+. Hottest ticket in town.

I know it's buffalo (big hockey town) and it was a bit before all these games were going on more tha. Once a year. But it was just special..

Old
08-17-2013, 02:16 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
Just for some kind of reference:

I was in the upper deck at Ralph Wilson for the sabres pens game in I wanna guess 2006-2007?

I could see just fine, but I'm also Not a casual fan. There's a lot of events outside the stadium in buffalo. Huge ice sculptures, contests, memorabilia, tailgating,p. it was a blast, and it was 25/30 degrees out. It sold out and that stadium hold 80,000+. Hottest ticket in town.

I know it's buffalo (big hockey town) and it was a bit before all these games were going on more tha. Once a year. But it was just special..
Thanks.. Just too bad this game will not be on a weekend. I would have really enjoyed to make a day of it... I am all about the tail gate. Leaving now for the first one of the season at Met Life (unfortunately tail gating may be the highlight of this years Jet season, at least the Islanders are on the way up)

Old
08-17-2013, 05:02 PM
GilliesGirlie

Do we know if it's a day game? I'm gonna need to take the day off if so

Old
08-17-2013, 06:47 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliesGirlie View Post
Do we know if it's a day game? I'm gonna need to take the day off if so
Our game starts at 7:30. The Devils one on the Sunday is a day game.

Old
08-18-2013, 07:38 AM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Thanks.. Just too bad this game will not be on a weekend. I would have really enjoyed to make a day of it... I am all about the tail gate. Leaving now for the first one of the season at Met Life (unfortunately tail gating may be the highlight of this years Jet season, at least the Islanders are on the way up)
Yeah the weekday aspect does suck. I wonder how it will be at night though. Could be cool. I play in an outdoor league in Central Park and its fun at night.

If I were going I would request to leave early from work.

Old
08-19-2013, 05:27 AM
Ziggy16

Season Tix Holders get first dibs at tickets at 10 am today via nyi.com
100-200 level sth's get 3 extra tickets to reserve on top of their current seat count, 300 level fans get 2 bonus seats for sale

Should weather PPD the game, it will be played the following night, if they cant play either night, the game is called off and all tickets are refunded..

heres the price points and map:

Enjoy

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/page.h...REMINDERss1972

Last edited by Ziggy16: 08-19-2013 at 05:33 AM.
Old
08-19-2013, 08:11 AM
Bones45

I think I mentioned this earlier, or in some other thread, but here is my take.

Probably not going and here's why. Take this at whatever value youd like.

1. I was at the Heritage Hockey Classic in Edmonton in 03. Mess/Gretzky, etc vs Lafleur, Robinson, etc + the real NHL game. Two games. Hard to beat this city and this experience

2. NYC is going to be MOBBED this week. Week before Super Bowl, right? Getting anywhere this week is going to be impossible

3. Devs and Rangers play the first game on Sunday (a football-less SUnday no less) and the Rangers/Isles are on a Tuesday? Really? the moment will be Sundays game, not Tuesdays game.

4. Im going to the South Bronx (NO WAY IM DRIVING) on a weeknight at the end of January to sit outside? I dont think so. Odds are, IMO, it'll be 38 and raining. Sounds delightful. I did the cold in Edmonton, and snow would be cool. but rain? LOL.. Ill take my chances. Weather could be awesome, but lets be honest, it could be horrible.

5. Subway home. 50k + trying to take subways south into Manhattan after the game? Yikes. no way.

And then tix are $100? personally.. I don't think the game will be sold out.

Maybe I'm wrong and a big pessimist -- but I think Bones will watch this one from the couch.

To those who do want to get tix -- go high up.. you can't see squat from down low.

Old
08-19-2013, 09:54 AM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

If anyone has a ticket purchase password, please DM me

Closed Thread