HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Part LXMV

Closed Thread

Old
08-16-2013, 03:52 PM
King of the ES*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I would venture a guess that you are wrong.
As a 22 year-old playing his first NHL season, Kadri was tied for 21st in the league in points. That's the entire league.

Luongo's 12 years his senior, and there are just too many good goalies in the NHL for any of them to really have any scarcity value, as we saw by the fact that there was zero interest in Luongo from anyone, and by the underwhelming return that we got for Schneider.

I can't imagine a single team that would pick Luongo, to be honest.

Old
08-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
The severity of those two situations are probably greater than anywhere else, though, too.

Doubtful. They're bad, but I've seen much worse. The MTL/NYR trade for Gomez was as "severe" as it gets. McPhee dealing Forsberg was also, IMO, pretty foolish. There are a ton of other examples around the league.

Quote:
There are some other pretty critical errors, too: letting Ehrhoff walk, letting Torres walk, overpaying for Derek Roy (which Gillis practically acknowledged), the Hodgson trade (at a minimum, the timing of it), Sami Pahlsson, Marco Sturm...

Critical Errors, no. Mistakes, sure, although I don't view letting Ehrhoff walk as a mistake. It's the covenant or him. It's either everyone buys in, or no one does. The rest is debateable. Nothing on the level of Ballard/Luongo though.

Quote:
Maybe, but it would seem odd to me that he'd have such a change of heart only a few months later. That's who Gillis was negotiating with at the deadline. The Leafs - Brian Burke, especially - don't really seem like the type of team that'd be all that interested in bringing in a guy who doesn't want to be there.

Luongo was asked if he ever blocked anything from happening, and he said no, so I really see no reason to not believe him.

I could see it. If the market for Luongo all but dries up during the season, and he's getting antsy, I could see him dropping his old restrictions and be willing to go anywhere at the deadline.

For Luongo, that is the public statement he should put out there, regardless of what is the truth. If he says he has blocked deals, then Gillis's negotiating position gets even harder. Essentially, he has an uncooperative asset that he's trying to deal, instead of a cooperative one. Luongo played this right in the media.

Old
08-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

vCash: 50
Quote:
As a 22 year-old playing his first NHL season, Kadri was tied for 21st in the league in points. That's the entire league.

Luongo's 12 years his senior, and there are just too many good goalies in the NHL for any of them to really have any scarcity value, as we saw by the fact that there was zero interest in Luongo from anyone, and by the underwhelming return that we got for Schneider.

Before last season began, pretty much any NHL team with a need for a number one goalie and financial capability to take on his contract would pick Luongo over Kadri. Now that Kadri has shown that he has the capabilities of being a sold top 6 centre at the NHL level (albeit for only a 48 game schedule), no sensible team would go with a Kadri for Luongo straight up.

Old
08-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betamax View Post
Before last season began, pretty much any NHL team with a need for a number one goalie and financial capability to take on his contract would pick Luongo over Kadri. Now that Kadri has shown that he has the capabilities of being a sold top 6 centre at the NHL level (albeit for only a 48 game schedule), no sensible team would go with a Kadri for Luongo straight up.
until Lu wins the vezina this year, and then the pendulum swings the other way again

Old
08-16-2013, 04:09 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
until Lu wins the vezina this year, and then the pendulum swings the other way again
Well, yeah if Kadri struggles badly next season (if he does get signed and it's a big long-term deal with 5M+ AAV) and Bobby Lu, in contrast, wins the Olympics Gold as the starter, wins the Vezina and wins The Stanley Cup (as a Canucks) ... then the pendulum definitely swings the other way. Asking for just two out of three is not asking too much for a Canucks fan, is it?

Old
08-16-2013, 04:27 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

If Lou is ever to win a Veznia this year might be his best opportunity.

Unless someone else is just absolutely running away with it, if Luongo is a finalist I see him getting a lot of the sympathy vote for what he has endured over the past year.

Of course then though, all his haters will just say that he only won because people felt sorry for him.

Old
08-16-2013, 04:30 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

Quote:

2 things...

1 - One might say the return for Schneider was underwhelming. I agree to a point. But what Goalie in recent memory brought a better return?

2 - I think plenty of teams would love to have had Luongo. There is no problem with the player. It is the contract and more specifically the contract after the last CBA that killed any value we could have received for Luo. Too say there was zero interest in disingenuous and simply false.

Old
08-16-2013, 04:33 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post

Unless someone else is just absolutely running away with it, if Luongo is a finalist I see him getting a lot of the sympathy vote for what he has endured over the past year.

Of course then though, all his haters will just say that he only won because people felt sorry for him.
Meh, if he wins/gets nominated for the Vezina, the controversy of it will be short lived, just like every major award

Old
08-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydave View Post
Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion it is a message board after all-

This off ice professionalism was demonstrated in your opinion how?
Was it the part where he asked to be moved & then nixed every deal put in front of him to the point where he has no trade value at all? I am just wondering how much responsibility he has in this mess in your opinion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Source? Link? Didn't Luongo say MG never asked him to waive his NTC?
I think it came down to a question of semantics. From what I've heard and read (reported by various hockey insiders) like RSN's John Shannon's and re-iterated by RSN's Doug Maclean and locally from The Province's Botchford numerous times was that the Canucks and Leafs had a "framework" for a deal when Burke was still the GM of the Leafs. But before it actually came to technically, asking Bobby Lu to waive his NTC, either he or probably via his Agent put a "roadblock" to the discussions between the Leafs and Canucks from finalizing due to from what Maclean has repeatedly stated on his appearances on B-Mac/Taylor that someone close to Panthers' Ownership was saying to the Bobby Lu Camp that they were interested in him and was going to get a deal done involving him with the Canucks. Hence, Bobby Lu's reluctance to give his okay for the Canucks to continue discussing their potential trade with the Leafs.

Old
08-17-2013, 12:39 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiebrown View Post
Holy ****, now that`s talent. This video is a work of art. Beautiful.

Old
08-17-2013, 08:37 AM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by settinguptheplay View Post
2 things...

1 - One might say the return for Schneider was underwhelming. I agree to a point. But what Goalie in recent memory brought a better return?
What goalie in recent memory that's been traded is even close to being as good as Cory Schneider?

Old
08-17-2013, 09:07 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
What goalie in recent memory that's been traded is even close to being as good as Cory Schneider?
Patrick Roy.

Old
08-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Bougieman

I don't know if nearly 20 years ago can be considered "recent memory", but maybe it was a joke you were making?

Old
08-17-2013, 11:03 AM
racerjoe

Quote:
Not to knock Cory, I really like him, and think he will be a star in this league, but what has he really proven? We were constantly reminded he has only one playoff win, and he has never carried the load as a true number 1 goalie. There is lots of comaprables to him that have been traded in recent memory, he is probably the best of the bunch. Still have to ask what has he proven?

Old
08-17-2013, 06:58 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

Quote:
Point remains the same. He may have been the best Goalie traded recently but he also brought the best return. All makes sense to me.

Old
08-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Patrick Roy.
Well......considering I am older......Ken Dryden - legit HHOFer & guy responsible for making sure the Bruins didn't win more cups - was dealt for two guys who never played a single game in the NHL.

Old
08-17-2013, 10:43 PM
thenextone

Quote:
Luongo

Old
08-17-2013, 10:48 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextone View Post
Luongo
Yeah, seriously, how did people miss this one?

Luongo at the time when he was traded was better than Schneider is at this very moment, IMO.

Old
08-17-2013, 10:50 PM
pahlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post

since when do GMs give out sympathy votes

Old
08-17-2013, 11:02 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Yeah, seriously, how did people miss this one?

Luongo at the time when he was traded was better than Schneider is at this very moment, IMO.
Damn that early Pittsburgh game to hell!!!!

Old
08-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
since when do GMs give out sympathy votes
Since always, in my opinion. I feel like the better story tends to have an advantage.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 08-18-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old
08-18-2013, 06:11 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
I don't know if nearly 20 years ago can be considered "recent memory", but maybe it was a joke you were making?

Old
08-18-2013, 09:16 AM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Patrick Roy.
I wouldn't call a transaction that took place 17 years ago "recent", but OK.

Patrick Roy also got Montreal a much bigger return, comparatively.

Old
08-18-2013, 09:22 AM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
Not to knock Cory, I really like him, and think he will be a star in this league, but what has he really proven? We were constantly reminded he has only one playoff win, and he has never carried the load as a true number 1 goalie. There is lots of comaprables to him that have been traded in recent memory, he is probably the best of the bunch. Still have to ask what has he proven?
William Jennings Trophy as a rookie, Vancouver Canuck single-season records in both GAA and SVP, MVP of the Canucks, supplanted an "elite" goalie and essentially created this entire ordeal himself, because he was so damn good, etc.

Old
08-18-2013, 12:18 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
William Jennings Trophy as a rookie, Vancouver Canuck single-season records in both GAA and SVP, MVP of the Canucks, supplanted an "elite" goalie and essentially created this entire ordeal himself, because he was so damn good, etc.
So a shared award where he was forced meaningless minutes to make sure he was appart of? Good numbers as a backup playing on the best team in the NHL?

As was mentioned, Luongo when he was traded was considered better, and again I don't mean to knock Cory, he will and is great. But your argument is god awful.

Closed Thread