HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Off Season/Free Agent Discussion Part IV

Old
08-17-2013, 02:20 PM
rikker

vCash: 500
seems like everyone has either Strome or Nelson playing wing, while the other stays at center. what about IF Moulson leaves after this year. do you think these combos would work?

Nelson - JT - Strome

Bailey - Neilson - Okposo

Grabner - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

Martin - Sundstrom - McDonald

a good blend of everything, don't you think?

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 02:56 PM
RMimagery

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI
Agree. Strome is our best and only legit chance to get an elite winger. No need to hold back other potential centers who can produce when you are looking for cheap rentals every year on wing. JT needs help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Yup and yup. Honestly when I think of Strome on JT's wing I can't help but think of this guy:

Everyone always says Strome might not be big enough yet or strong enough. Kane is not big or strong either.

Most of this depends on Nelson being able to take the 2C role. Our centers in 3 years (Nielsen's contract expires then) could be:

Tavares
Nelson
Cizikas
Sundstrom

Nielsen either moves to the wing or traded.
I 100% agree with hoping that Strome starts off at JT's right side. With the depth we have at center, and the organization's cautious approach, it just makes sense.

Here's HF's page about our prospects...

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/new_york_islanders/

Under weaknesses - it should have two minus signs next to lack of depth at wing.

If just one Kirill makes it over here on RW, we'd be lucky.

Our left wing deficiency is a big hole. Our best LW prospect is 5'7"' Cammarata and while I like him and hope he makes it, he's several years away and a few inches short (sorry).

Maybe we end up trading some D prospects for a W in the next year or so as there's a nice surplus to pull from and they all can't make it on our squad.

I hope Regin is as good as Frans says, think we had enough horses...but I'll trust the team's judgement. Very curious to see how things develop for Strome/Nelson/Donovan and haven't been this psyched heading into a season in a dozen years.

edit:surprised to see deHaan so low down the list...he has a lot to prove and I just hope he can have an injury free year.

RMimagery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 03:21 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMimagery View Post

Our left wing deficiency is a big hole. Our best LW prospect is 5'7"' Cammarata and while I like him and hope he makes it, he's several years away and a few inches short (sorry).

Maybe we end up trading some D prospects for a W in the next year or so as there's a nice surplus to pull from and they all can't make it on our squad.
Well, yes AND no. I can see Lee being listed as a Center, but he is most likely an NHL LW. David Ullstrom is listed as a RW, and he is actually a LW (he can play RW and C, but predominately a LW). Joey Diamond will play a lot more LW than C in his professional hockey career, be it AHL or NHL.

Regardless, The NHL team has Josh Bailey, Michael Grabner and Matt Martin all locked up for 3-5 years manning 3 of the LW spots for the foreseeable future. Leaves very little room for any LW depth. If Moulson re-signs (I don't think he will) then there is NO room for any LW prospects for a while.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 07:48 AM
rikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Well, yes AND no. I can see Lee being listed as a Center, but he is most likely an NHL LW. David Ullstrom is listed as a RW, and he is actually a LW (he can play RW and C, but predominately a LW). Joey Diamond will play a lot more LW than C in his professional hockey career, be it AHL or NHL.

Regardless, The NHL team has Josh Bailey, Michael Grabner and Matt Martin all locked up for 3-5 years manning 3 of the LW spots for the foreseeable future. Leaves very little room for any LW depth. If Moulson re-signs (I don't think he will) then there is NO room for any LW prospects for a while.
i don't think it's too much to worry about either. a C can usually be switched to one of the wings, easier than a winger being transitioned to C. having at least a few guys with face-off experience on the ice is a good idea, especially in our own end. if we are going to have strength in ANY forward position, it is preferably at C.

we do lack right-handed forwards, though. well, picking up Clutterbuck gives us 3 now. the others being KO and McDonald. with Strome and Sundstrom being the only other RHer's, we should be better in a year or two.

Old
08-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikker View Post
seems like everyone has either Strome or Nelson playing wing, while the other stays at center. what about IF Moulson leaves after this year. do you think these combos would work?

Nelson - JT - Strome

Bailey - Neilson - Okposo

Grabner - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

Martin - Sundstrom - McDonald

a good blend of everything, don't you think?
I feel like you waste Nelson by putting him on wing. He's got great size, skill and defensive ability. We need all three at center.

Tavares
Nelson
Nielsen
Cizikas

Has good potential for being one of the best groups of centers in the league in a couple years. I'll take center depth like that over strong LW'ers any day.

Last edited by Jester9881: 08-18-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Jester9881 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 10:26 AM
rikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
I feel like you waste Nelson by putting him on wing. He's got great size, skill and defensive ability. We need all three at center.

Tavares
Nelson
Nielsen
Cizikas

Has good potential for being one of the best groups of centers in the league in a couple years. I'll take center depth like that over strong LW'ers any day.
i really like Nelson, and think he would be a good fit anywhere. size on the wings is a good thing too. and i think Cizikas will be wasted on the 4th line, if he's getting 8-10 minutes a game.

feeling really hopeful, though. seems like we have a lot more decent options than we have had in a while.

Old
08-18-2013, 11:05 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

I feel Nelson on wing would be a waste as well. I am just not sold on moving Strome to wing either. Just because Wang, Snow, or fate have predicated some hard choices on top six spot selections doesn't mean you should throw someone's development under the bus because of need. Bailey played himself into a wing. That is the right way to make that kind of choice where it really isn't much of a choice, just the best decision. Is Strome really a wing? Is Nelson? I'd argue no for both.

How about we add someone who is a wing and develop the other two as centers? I know, crazy talk...

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 11:38 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I feel Nelson on wing would be a waste as well. I am just not sold on moving Strome to wing either. Just because Wang, Snow, or fate have predicated some hard choices on top six spot selections doesn't mean you should throw someone's development under the bus because of need. Bailey played himself into a wing. That is the right way to make that kind of choice where it really isn't much of a choice, just the best decision. Is Strome really a wing? Is Nelson? I'd argue no for both.

How about we add someone who is a wing and develop the other two as centers? I know, crazy talk...
Just because they may start out as wingers, doesn't mean that they won't eventually move to center. I'm usually in favor of keeping their natural position, but center is the most demanding and has the most responsibilities of the forwards. They are still kids and can't be expected to step in and produce right away, let them be eased into the position. We are no longer a team that hands out roster spots to top prospects and throw them to the wolves in the hopes that they develop as they go.

We are at the stage of the rebuild where kids can be groomed for roles at the NHL level and they'll have to earn their place at the dinner table. I think Nelson is better equipped to handle the position right now after a successful year in the AHL, while Strome may need more time to adjust to the pro game. We do have the luxury of having a solid foundation to help ease their transition as well. Our 'older kids' are now the veterans that will be mentoring the next wave - seems kind of funny, but it's how things have played out.

In the end, the cream should rise to the top and the positions will be sorted out as the dominoes fall. A potential center group consisting of Tavares, Strome, Nelson, Nielsen, Cizikas, Sundstrom, and whoever else bodes very well for our future. Drafting centers and defensemen looks like a good move in hindsight. Other teams would kill to have our potential stable of pivots and defensemen for that matter.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 12:28 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikker View Post
i really like Nelson, and think he would be a good fit anywhere. size on the wings is a good thing too. and i think Cizikas will be wasted on the 4th line, if he's getting 8-10 minutes a game.

feeling really hopeful, though. seems like we have a lot more decent options than we have had in a while.
I could see them moving Cizikas into the 3rd line wing spot. Creating a great shutdown combo in Cizikas-Nielsen. Let someone like Regin take the 4th line center position.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 08:16 AM
DeanCrandall

Whose passing out the Nelson Kool-Aid mixture ? Thinking a few too many are drinking around here if he projected as our # 2 center. Wasn't even sure this kid would be cracking the line-up, and now he's a top 6 NHL Forward ?

DeanCrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCrandall View Post
Whose passing out the Nelson Kool-Aid mixture ? Thinking a few too many are drinking around here if he projected as our # 2 center.
People that have watched him?

Quote:
Wasn't even sure this kid would be cracking the line-up, and now he's a top 6 NHL Forward ?
I'd love for you to expand on this. Your reasoning?

Jester9881 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 09:12 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Whose passing out the Nelson Kool-Aid mixture ? Thinking a few too many are drinking around here if he projected as our # 2 center. Wasn't even sure this kid would be cracking the line-up, and now he's a top 6 NHL Forward ?
Not quite sure he'd be ready for that role now. Actually, it's unlikely.

But that need isn't as prevelant now as it likely will be in 14-15.

However, he should be pretty much pre-programmed for that role in the near future. His learning curve has been astronomical and he has the size, reach, instincts and hands that must have the Islanders simply licking their chops about the complete package he can be.

I know that I am absolutely convinced that this kid has all the prerequisites to be a solid, regular 20-30-50 +15 style player pivoting a 2nd line over the long run.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
I could see them moving Cizikas into the 3rd line wing spot. Creating a great shutdown combo in Cizikas-Nielsen. Let someone like Regin take the 4th line center position.
No need.

Probably the best pairing we have on this team is the Cizikas-Martin combo and either one of McDonald or Clutterbuck could plug in on the other side to create one of the most unpleasant lines in hockey.

Basically, when healthy, the Isles will be rolling out two 2nd lines and two 3rd lines, with one of those 12 forwards being a star (Tavares of course).

It's basically noe up to Bailey, Bouchard or even Okposo (or perhaps two of the three if Moulson's role changes) to round out that first line, elevating it to something more than a strong 2nd line.

As for Regin, I sense that if he's physically ready to go, the Isles are gonna go on a hunch and see if he and Nielsen can't turn their friendship into some nice on-ice chemistry, perhaps along with Grabner. That wouldn't be the slowest line in the league either.

Old
08-19-2013, 09:17 AM
JT4President

Had at a chance to talk with Brett gallant (bridgeport) a few days ago and I asked him about Nelson, strome, Donovan and poulin and here is what he had to say:

Nelson is a beast, very solid on all aspects of the game. Says there is a very good chance Nelson is the 3rd line center this year. Plays great in both ends and great fella in the room.

Strome is a high end talent, with more upside then Nelson. Going to be great in the nhl, but needs some time in Bridgeport to get use to the speed and physical play.

Donovan will be an islander, no doubt. Said he has been a top 3 dman in the ahl the last 2 years. We'll love him

Poulin he believes is our answer in net. Said when he is on, he can be incredible. He spoke very highly of him. Nilsson is a year or two away from finding out what we have.

Kabanov is a long shot. Hands are as good as he's seen, but skating and defensive game needs work.

Last, he said Tavares is better then people think. He said to me, he is closer to Crosby then most think and a few years younger. He will be a great captain.

It's nice to get a evaluation from a teammate of these guys, it's probably as accurate as one will get.

JT4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 09:18 AM
Dan-o16

OMG, this whole center/wing discussion is really too much for me.

We've got three very good forward prospects who are all likely to spend time with the big club this year in Strome, Nelson, and Sundstrom. All three can play center. At least two can play wing. This is nice.

Our big club has at least two wingers who not only play center, but often switch into center responsibilities in the middle of shifts (Bailey and Okposo). One of them (Okposo) is arguably our best faceoff guy.

While it is open to question whether Strome's skillset translates to wing (personally, I believe playing wing with JT is different from playing wing), there is no question about Nelson. He can play wing effectively.

It'll shake out. No need to knock our heads together on a bunch of C/W line matching nonsense before camp.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT4President View Post
Had at a chance to talk with Brett gallant (bridgeport) a few days ago and I asked him about Nelson, strome, Donovan and poulin and here is what he had to say:

Nelson is a beast, very solid on all aspects of the game. Says there is a very good chance Nelson is the 3rd line center this year. Plays great in both ends and great fella in the room.

Strome is a high end talent, with more upside then Nelson. Going to be great in the nhl, but needs some time in Bridgeport to get use to the speed and physical play.

Donovan will be an islander, no doubt. Said he has been a top 3 dman in the ahl the last 2 years. We'll love him

Poulin he believes is our answer in net. Said when he is on, he can be incredible. He spoke very highly of him. Nilsson is a year or two away from finding out what we have.

Kabanov is a long shot. Hands are as good as he's seen, but skating and defensive game needs work.

Last, he said Tavares is better then people think. He said to me, he is closer to Crosby then most think and a few years younger. He will be a great captain.

It's nice to get a evaluation from a teammate of these guys, it's probably as accurate as one will get.
Awesome!

And honestly, not very surprising assessments.

I'm just hoping a lot of us aren't thinking we've been downgrading the defense by allowing for Donovan to have a crack at the line-up. There may be growing pains at the beginning, but if worked in properly, he's gonna pay off for us big time in the latter half of the season.

The boy has the tools and has done nothing to make anyone think he won't have the toolbox.

Old
08-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
As for Regin, I sense that if he's physically ready to go, the Isles are gonna go on a hunch and see if he and Nielsen can't turn their friendship into some nice on-ice chemistry, perhaps along with Grabner. That wouldn't be the slowest line in the league either.
Yeah, but it may also be the softest, and the worst faceoff line in hockey. Pass.

There's no reason to break up Nielsen/Okposo. They need each other to make the most of their skillsets. Honestly, I don't care who you plug in on left wing. Bailey, Moulson, Regin, Nelson, Martin, etc. As long as those two guys are together, the line will be decent.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Yeah, but it may also be the softest, and the worst faceoff line in hockey. Pass.

There's no reason to break up Nielsen/Okposo. They need each other to make the most of their skillsets. Honestly, I don't care who you plug in on left wing. Bailey, Moulson, Regin, Nelson, Martin, etc. As long as those two guys are together, the line will be decent.
I agree with you.

For some reason, I think the staff is gonna try Okposo on that Tavares line, but I hope not.

I'd rather see Bailey remain or have Bouchard given a shot (which is likely).

But now that you mention it, Regin-Nielsen-Okposo has a good chance of being seen at some point in the season.

Old
08-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Sheva7

vCash: 463
Great stuff JT4Prez, thanks for posting!

Hope he's right about Poulin. Would be very nice to see him make that big step forward. I'm definitely rooting for him

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 11:48 AM
scott99

My hope is, somewhere down the line, Our 2nd line has Nelson and Lee together. I really think they can be deadly together. Lee is a bigger, stronger Nino, and Lee flashed some great chemistry with Nelson in 2011 (rookie scrimmage). Sundstrom is going to be an excellent 3rd line center. Moulson-Tavares-Strome, Okposo-Nelson-Lee, Persson-Sundstrom-Grabner. 3 very talented future lines.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 12:48 PM
DeanCrandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post

I'd love for you to expand on this. Your reasoning?
OK expanding, top 6, Tavares, Moulson, Bouchard, Okposo, Bailey and Nielsen. Mix and match of the first two lines. Then add Martin, Cizikas, Grabner, Clutterbuck, McDonald and Regin. that makes 12 forwards. So who above sits while Lee and Nelson cracks the lineup, and will Strome make the roster, then who sits ? The organization went after Bouchard, Clutterbuck and Regin to give the kids time to develop. Not saying they won't be top 6 someday but can we focus on this season and not Brooklyns team ?

Old
08-19-2013, 12:50 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT4President View Post

Nice assessments, and not very surprising as Chapin said. I'm in full agreement with all of these (except the bold).

I hope he is correct with his Poulin evaluation but his lack of rebound control is a huge red flag and one that could cripple him in the NHL (especially with an undersized defense that at times struggles to clear the zone and/or keep the puck to the perimeter).

It really has been hard to evaluate Nilsson and Poulin. The defense (besides Donovan and de Haan when he plays) has been truly awful the last few years. Even Hamonic when he played during the lockout was just going through the motions to stay in game shape.

We shall see, this will be a big season for Poulin and Nilsson's development.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 01:36 PM
SDIsles34

Quote:
OK expanding, top 6, Tavares, Moulson, Bouchard, Okposo, Bailey and Nielsen. Mix and match of the first two lines. Then add Martin, Cizikas, Grabner, Clutterbuck, McDonald and Regin. that makes 12 forwards. So who above sits while Lee and Nelson cracks the lineup, and will Strome make the roster, then who sits ? The organization went after Bouchard, Clutterbuck and Regin to give the kids time to develop. Not saying they won't be top 6 someday but can we focus on this season and not Brooklyns team ?
Consensus seems to be that Brock Nelson is our most NHL ready prospect. If he proves himself at camp and WINS a roster spot, should he still be sent down?

I'm tired of those preaching being over cautious with prospects while clearly there is opportunity for young players to PROVE THEMSELVES with their play, not just their draft status or potential.

Bottom line, if Nelson can help the Islanders win games this season, he should be with the Islanders this season.

SDIsles34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 03:47 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDIsles34 View Post
Consensus seems to be that Brock Nelson is our most NHL ready prospect. If he proves himself at camp and WINS a roster spot, should he still be sent down?

I'm tired of those preaching being over cautious with prospects while clearly there is opportunity for young players to PROVE THEMSELVES with their play, not just their draft status or potential.

Bottom line, if Nelson can help the Islanders win games this season, he should be with the Islanders this season.
Agreed 100%, Same goes for Strome.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 04:13 PM
DeanCrandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDIsles34 View Post

Not saying I don't agree with that, but the conversations on here are like Brock is a shoe in or top 6 forward, really ? At what level has he proven this. Probably like you said he is our top prospect and the same guys who supported Nino with all the banter talk watched him score one goal over an entire season then end up being shown the door one season later. Huge difference between a prospect or a respectable AHL player to an NHL player on top 3 lines. Fourth line not where we want to be developing rookies, so if not top 3 lines, its back to the Bridgeport bus.