HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Michalek - Surgery MAR 19th

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-18-2013, 09:10 AM
  #276
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala
 
mat_sens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,578
vCash: 10639
Didn`t he undergo a special procedure in Germany this summer and he's supposed to come back better than ever?

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 10:21 AM
  #277
HSF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 13,057
vCash: 500
is he doing the blood spinning therapy that Kobe did?

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 10:23 AM
  #278
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala
 
mat_sens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,578
vCash: 10639
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
is he doing the blood spinning therapy that Kobe did?
Yeah, that's what it is. He did it back in June.

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 10:51 AM
  #279
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?
 
Andre Benoit Bawls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,170
vCash: 50
I'd be thrilled if he came back with new jump

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 12:41 PM
  #280
Karl Eriksson
Registered User
 
Karl Eriksson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,469
vCash: 500
I can't help but think he will miss some serious time.

I would not be surprised if Michalek and Spezza play 82 combined games.

Karl Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 01:43 PM
  #281
ScottyGreene
The other guys
 
ScottyGreene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
Yeah, that's what it is. He did it back in June.
Here's an article shedding a bit more light on the procedure.

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/mi...r-injured-knee

To summarize the article Michaleks looking at:

- A 75% success rate
- Results lasting 2-4 years
- 6-10 weeks for the knee to respond to the injections

I found it interesting/relieving that several high profile athletes (Kobe Bryant, A-Rod, Tiger Woods) all received the same treatment, so if anything it looks like hes in good hands.

ScottyGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 01:52 PM
  #282
blahblah3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,774
vCash: 10458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Eriksson View Post
I can't help but think he will miss some serious time.

I would not be surprised if Michalek and Spezza play 82 combined games.
Neither would I. I heard one back surgeon with 25 years of experience say that the correlation between back pain and disk issues is basically 0, with a 25 percent success rate.

It will be a test of how much pain he is willing to play through.

blahblah3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 02:17 PM
  #283
Properly Puemped Up
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGreene View Post
Here's an article shedding a bit more light on the procedure.

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/mi...r-injured-knee

To summarize the article Michaleks looking at:

- A 75% success rate
- Results lasting 2-4 years
- 6-10 weeks for the knee to respond to the injections

I found it interesting/relieving that several high profile athletes (Kobe Bryant, A-Rod, Tiger Woods) all received the same treatment, so if anything it looks like hes in good hands.
It would be interesting to know if this procedure has used a control group to test for placebo effects. Especially when it comes to pain, placebo groups can have as much relief from pain as non-placebo groups if not even more. It is especially concerning with pain as the evidence comes in the form of testimonials by patients.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0712075415.htm

Properly Puemped Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 02:20 PM
  #284
Properly Puemped Up
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah3 View Post
Neither would I. I heard one back surgeon with 25 years of experience say that the correlation between back pain and disk issues is basically 0, with a 25 percent success rate.

It will be a test of how much pain he is willing to play through.
This doesn't make sense. Isn't pain the reason people go to the doctor and then have disc problems diagnosed? Sure there can be huge variation in pain due to individual pain tolerance and location of the herniated disc, but a zero correlation? Pain most likely isn't a reliable measure and you can't find correlations with unreliable measures. It could be that there is no correlation, but it could also mean that our current measures of pain (subjective reports) do not allow us to find the correlation.

Properly Puemped Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 02:56 PM
  #285
blahblah3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,774
vCash: 10458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Properly Puemped Up View Post
This doesn't make sense. Isn't pain the reason people go to the doctor and then have disc problems diagnosed? Sure there can be huge variation in pain due to individual pain tolerance and location of the herniated disc, but a zero correlation? Pain most likely isn't a reliable measure and you can't find correlations with unreliable measures. It could be that there is no correlation, but it could also mean that our current measures of pain (subjective reports) do not allow us to find the correlation.
It is because the pain probably doesn't originate at the disk, it can be anywhere along the long pain pathways in the back.

blahblah3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 03:02 PM
  #286
Properly Puemped Up
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah3 View Post
It is because the pain probably doesn't originate at the disk, it can be anywhere along the long pain pathways in the back.
But that pain will be correlated with the disc problems. It doesn't matter if it spreads or not. Are you saying that back pain and only back pain does not correlate because disc pain causes pain in more distal regions? I guess I'm having a hard time unpacking what your statement means for Spezza. If Spezza has no pain in his back, that is not an indication that his back is fine? Is that what you are saying?

Properly Puemped Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 03:18 PM
  #287
blahblah3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,774
vCash: 10458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Properly Puemped Up View Post
But that pain will be correlated with the disc problems. It doesn't matter if it spreads or not. Are you saying that back pain and only back pain does not correlate because disc pain causes pain in more distal regions? I guess I'm having a hard time unpacking what your statement means for Spezza. If Spezza has no pain in his back, that is not an indication that his back is fine? Is that what you are saying?
I imagine so. This surgeon gave up on doing surgery after seen the same clients come in repeatedly for nightmarish, unnecessary operations.

blahblah3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 03:57 PM
  #288
ScottyGreene
The other guys
 
ScottyGreene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah3 View Post
I imagine so. This surgeon gave up on doing surgery after seen the same clients come in repeatedly for nightmarish, unnecessary operations.
Is there any chance he was just a crappy surgeon?

ScottyGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 04:05 PM
  #289
blahblah3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,774
vCash: 10458
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGreene View Post
Is there any chance he was just a crappy surgeon?
Yep.

blahblah3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.