HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2013, 07:47 PM
OpenIceHit42

vCash: 500
Happened last night not today but...

Smacked in the jaw by my own goalie's paddle..

Opposing team comes down 2 on 1 so I lay down to take the lane, guy with the puck sauces one over me back door for a tip in that goes in, I get up to one knee to catch my breath because I had been out long and as I turn to say something to the goalie he clocks me in the jaw with the paddle on the follow through as he was shooting the puck down the ice. I've been playing for 23 years and have NEVER seen this happen, I was so PO'd. Didn't really say anything to him because I was in shock/had my bell rung. My jaw today has felt like I was hit with a brick last night.

Old
08-15-2013, 11:40 PM
Frankie Spankie

Finally won my first championship in a few years, despite the fact that I play 8 seasons a year across my two leagues. Feels good to finally win again...

Old
08-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
Last night just as I was getting used to my new stick and really ripping my slap shots. I noticed that it was cracked just below where I hold my bottom hand after my first shift and had to use a teammate's stick the rest of the game (until I hurt my knee and got off the ice in the third period).

I'll need a new stick now. Considering getting an even stiffer flex, with that previous stick I had gone up to a 105 from a 70. Considering something even stiffer if I can find it.

Old
08-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
Finally won my first championship in a few years, despite the fact that I play 8 seasons a year across my two leagues. Feels good to finally win again...
Nice! Was it a beer league? Roller, ice?

I finally won something this past spring roller league. We won our division. The prize: a picture.

It still feels good to win something.

08-17-2013, 02:27 PM
duul

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
Last night just as I was getting used to my new stick and really ripping my slap shots. I noticed that it was cracked just below where I hold my bottom hand after my first shift and had to use a teammate's stick the rest of the game (until I hurt my knee and got off the ice in the third period).

I'll need a new stick now. Considering getting an even stiffer flex, with that previous stick I had gone up to a 105 from a 70. Considering something even stiffer if I can find it.
Most people playing mens league at anything other than A typically don't know how to even use flex the way it is intended to be used. For example I think Ovechkin uses a 70 flex, and most players with good shots use lower flexes. Unless you are a monster and actually use all of the 102 flex to your advantage, there is really no reason to go that high. You're better off using 87.

Old
08-17-2013, 03:51 PM
FlowNoMo
GO MARLIES!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post

What kind of stick? If it was a low end stick that would be your problem not the flex. If it was a highend stick it was most likely a fluke. Like the user above me said, lots of NHLers use really low flexes.

Old
08-17-2013, 04:52 PM
do0glas

i have to wonder how hard your smashing the stick into the ice prior to contact with the puck.

Old
08-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowNoMo View Post
What kind of stick? If it was a low end stick that would be your problem not the flex. If it was a highend stick it was most likely a fluke. Like the user above me said, lots of NHLers use really low flexes.
The 70 or 105? Well, I can answer both:

The 70 flex stick was a mid-range Montreal wooden stick that lasted me 11 years before finally cracking.

The 105 flex stick was a Sher-Wood wooden stick I picked up at a pro shop for $50. It seems reasonably good quality other than it breaking on me after only a couple months. The stick I borrowed the rest of the game was a 102 flex composite, I only attempted a couple slap shots with it and got some pretty decent kick into them, but didn't really play around with it otherwise.

I'm bad at wrist shots in general but my slap shot form is getting pretty good, as I can get some real power into them now and noticed a big difference using the 105 over the 70.

For reference I'm 6'1" and weigh 155. I play defenseman so if I have a hard slap shot at the cost of having an ineffective wrist shot I'm okay with that.

Old
08-18-2013, 01:31 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

It's not today, but two weeks ago I played one game of ice shinny for the first time in almost a year. Although people were taking ten minute shifts and I barely played because I took short ones, I enjoyed it.

I probably wouldn't put up with it but it was with a new group so I didn't tell them off. Then again it's mostly the high school kids taking mega long shifts.

Old
08-18-2013, 05:42 PM
ss53mech

Late entry for yesterday.

Went to a play it again in Raleigh NC and bought enough gear to outfit 8 Marines to play inline hockey. The games aren't real games, and we don't follow all the rules but the guys had a hell of a lot of fun and seem sincerely appreciative of the chance to play (many for the first time).

Big shout out to the folks at play it again who took 15-20% everything I bought to help out with the budget. Without them doing that I may have balked at the price and not gone through with it. I was pretty nervous about spending my own money to outfit other people but with the amount of fun it looked like those guys had it seems like money well spent.

Old
08-18-2013, 07:14 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss53mech View Post
Late entry for yesterday.

Went to a play it again in Raleigh NC and bought enough gear to outfit 8 Marines to play inline hockey. The games aren't real games, and we don't follow all the rules but the guys had a hell of a lot of fun and seem sincerely appreciative of the chance to play (many for the first time).

Big shout out to the folks at play it again who took 15-20% everything I bought to help out with the budget. Without them doing that I may have balked at the price and not gone through with it. I was pretty nervous about spending my own money to outfit other people but with the amount of fun it looked like those guys had it seems like money well spent.
thats awesome man

a big hesitation for me to start was gear price, not everyone is willing to make that jump. you may have just created a bunch of new players

Old
08-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Ozz

3g2a in a slaughtering. Got 2 games with a different team full of talent(less) dudes tomorrow, we'll see if I can kick it up to pick up enough slack to make it out alive.

Old
08-18-2013, 08:34 PM
scryan

Today I stopped a puck with my forearm (goalie) and realized AGAIN that GOD DAMN I NEED A NEW CHEST/ARM PROTECTOR.

****ing ouch, right between the pads where the sleeve laces up. Could barely hold my stick for a good 10 minutes, After that just couldn't swing it around well.

Old
08-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Today I practiced my shot and shot 1502 pucks. Counted with a ticker. Hopefully it helps muscle memory and technique.

Old
08-18-2013, 08:53 PM
scryan

How many did you have to shoot before you gathered them up again?

Old
08-18-2013, 08:54 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Old
08-18-2013, 08:57 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Today I practiced my shot and shot 1502 pucks. Counted with a ticker. Hopefully it helps muscle memory and technique.
Oh God, how long did that take???

Old
08-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Well I went out there in some..not all of my gear and roller blades (because blacktop isn't good for my iceskates..) at like 7:30. AM that is so it was tastefully chilly out, Got the net out of the shed and my trusty Easton stick and started around 7:45. Was done around 1:20. I'm pretty SORE now, hard to move my arms that's for sure.

Old
08-18-2013, 09:48 PM
SexyJoffreyLupul

So after 12 season games and one playoff game I scored my first goal, ever. I was screening the net and I tipped a shot from the point with the shaft of my stick. I also had 2 assists that game as well. I still can't crossover or skate backwards fluidly, so i'm pretty sure i'm not gonna get another multipoint night again this year. But damn what a nice feeling.

Old
08-18-2013, 09:56 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Grats. Any way they come they're still good haha

Old
08-18-2013, 10:44 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Well I went out there in some..not all of my gear and roller blades (because blacktop isn't good for my iceskates..) at like 7:30. AM that is so it was tastefully chilly out, Got the net out of the shed and my trusty Easton stick and started around 7:45. Was done around 1:20. I'm pretty SORE now, hard to move my arms that's for sure.
holy crap

i strained my bicep doing too many shots in a row, the only thing i got out of it was what i was doing wrong

Old
08-18-2013, 11:14 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
holy crap

i strained my bicep doing too many shots in a row, the only thing i got out of it was what i was doing wrong
I got that too. I was doing stuff wrong and basically when it started to hurt me, I changed my technique a little and it helped. I took shots at various distances, had my brother who enjoys playing/practicing throw some passes my way, different shots etc

Old
08-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Today I am so close to my return I can taste it. I haven't played in 8 weeks due to a hand injury I have posted about in here from time to time. Team has a championship game on Sunday and I am going to get a light skate in Saturday morning to see how everything goes. Assuming no issues and conditioning isn't too far off (we'll have three forward lines if I play and I spent 7 of the weeks only working out legs so I'm not that concerned), I'll be stoked to be a part of it.

I also managed to buy two new sticks during my down time so I'm excited to play with new toys as well.

Old
08-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
Today I have my first skate after a 2-week break after spraining my ankle. Longest break I had so far this year, itching to get out on the ice again.

Old
08-19-2013, 03:11 PM
do0glas

30 days left in my 6 month hiatus from playing. hopefully the work outs improve me, cuz i havent played at all out here

Closed Thread