HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Next Islander number retired?

Old
08-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Bexlyspeed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
Kenny Jonsson was my favorite Islander as a kid, but I just don't think it'd be right to retire anyone's number who didn't win a cup.

Those numbers in the rafters are there for a reason, and it's not just because they were good players. You start to diminish the honor if you let others in without at least a similar resume (because lets face it, dynasties may never be seen again).

If the Isles can win a cup with JT as the captain, I could see his number being retired. But even then, I'd really want him to win at least two to be put up there. Although if he wins one, he would have brought the Isles back to relevancy which nobody has been able to do for quite some time.
whoever scored the goal for that wins the fifth cup!

seriously i think they should just stick with the Islanders HOF for now.

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 07:48 AM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTrotts19 View Post
Good lord, if that ever happened without the dozen or so more deserving, the amount of shyte we be nearly unbearable. I am not sure how I could even defend that, as a lifelong Islander fan. Honestly I don't see that happening--but I guess anything is possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I would be the first person ejected from the Coliseum/Barclays for ripping my seat out of the floor and tossing it onto the ice. Followed by the remaining fans throwing bottles and other crap.

Nice jesture my ass.. If we get a new owner, we will never see him step foot at an Islander game again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
Travis Green has a better chance of getting his #39 retired then the last guy to wear it
Quote:
Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
That's not a nice gesture. A nice gesture would be retiring Kevin Colley's 62 because the dude broke his neck playing the game. Retiring 39 would be a taunt, a sarcastic **** you from a frustrated team who would be lamenting what could have been.
yeah **** dipietro for wanting to play on long island for his entire career. **** him for trying to come back multiple times from multiple injuries to justify that contract.

i don't think his number should be retired but the way you guys talk about him makes him seem like he's another kirk mueller. all the guy ever wanted to do was play hockey for the islanders

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 10:03 PM
GrabnerIsGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
yeah **** dipietro for wanting to play on long island for his entire career. **** him for trying to come back multiple times from multiple injuries to justify that contract.

i don't think his number should be retired but the way you guys talk about him makes him seem like he's another kirk mueller. all the guy ever wanted to do was play hockey for the islanders
agreed

GrabnerIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote