HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hamilton Bulldogs & Wheeling Nailers 2013-2014 "No more Stortini" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2013, 09:58 AM
Mue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
me too, plus he was great at sticking up for his teammates, a true leader that would be good for all the young D's we currently have.

Personally I don't know understand the plan here, if things remain as is, going with a defense made up of all rookies and 2nd year players along with Mayer/Condon/Delmas in net sounds like a repeat of last season but worse.
Hopefully they'll have a bit more firepower upfront at least - a bit more entertaining...maybe...

Old
08-15-2013, 10:02 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
Hopefully they'll have a bit more firepower upfront at least - a bit more entertaining...maybe...
hopefully. If Leblanc rebounds, Andrigettho adjusts to the pro game and is productive and Thomas has a big season that should help. At least the offense can't get worse then last season at least in terms of where it ranked in the league. I'm interested to see why kind of impact Nygren, Thomas, getto, and others have on the PP as that was a huge problem for them last year as the PP looked ugly and often struggled to do anything.

Old
08-15-2013, 10:06 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
hopefully. If Leblanc rebounds, Andrigettho adjusts to the pro game and is productive and Thomas has a big season that should help. At least the offense can't get worse then last season at least in terms of where it ranked in the league. I'm interested to see why kind of impact Nygren, Thomas, getto, and others have on the PP as that was a huge problem for them last year as the PP looked ugly and often struggled to do anything.
Don't forget St-Pierre. Expect him to make a huge impact.

Old
08-15-2013, 11:10 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
I remember an article from 20-25 yrs. ago about Stefan Lebeau and his brother Patrick, playing together and creating plays. When they joined the Habs, the team played tight defence, the Lebeau brothers came in and really lit it up offensively. It was a big news at the time, anyways Stefan should ignite the Bulldogs offence is my point.

Good signing by Bergevin, he obviously remembered Lebeau's efforts and that can only be a good thing for our prospects in Hamilton.

Old
08-15-2013, 12:04 PM
S Bah

Quote:
no clue why he hasn't been signed yet but I hope they get it done soon. I haven't heard of any problems with him but with the way he's been handled by the Habs makes me think there is some sort of issue.
Tokarski and Alex Henry would definitely round the team out and give the Bulldogs some balance in the lineup.

Old
08-15-2013, 12:48 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Don't forget St-Pierre. Expect him to make a huge impact.
There definitely going to be better. Nygren will make a huge difference. Thomas will have a big year. NB will put up big points. Holland, Bournival, Pateryn, Ellis and (I hope) Quailer will be a lot better.

Ghetto and Nystrom could be pretty nice additions as well.

I think they'll be a good team. They're lacking a veteran D but I think there's enough great additions to at least be a playoff team.

Old
08-16-2013, 08:14 PM
25get

Can not see Dogs in the PO.

Worst offense.
4th worst defense.
Worst ratio of win/loss: .421.
Only thing we were among top was 6th in PIM.
Christian Thomas was 117th among scorer (21st among rookies).
Dumont 162nd, Beaulieu 172nd, Bournival 183rd and Holland 209th.
Our best scorer would be 8th in Grand Rapids.
Would be the same with Portland or Rochester who lost in first round.

It is not like the Habs: PG decided to tank when he took RC.
So the 15th place of the Habs was not really representative.
Hamilton was 28th in 2011-12.
In 2010-11 they made with PO with Desharnais, Dawes, Palushaj, Maxwell, Wyman and Pacioretty.

Nygreen and Dietz in but St-Denis out.

Let's hope to get .500 and a 12th position.
I don't see the Dogs making the PO before 2014-15.
To make the PO we would need to send down Gallagher, Dumont, Tinordi and add a few vets from NHL UFAs.

Old
08-16-2013, 08:36 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post

Worst offense.
4th worst defense.

In 2010-11 they made with PO with Desharnais, Dawes, Palushaj, Maxwell, Wyman and Pacioretty.

To make the PO we would need to send down Gallagher, Dumont, Tinordi and add a few vets from NHL UFAs.
They might not make the playoffs but have you heard of player development. The team already has more experience because players like Beaulieu, Pateryn, Ellis, Holland, Bournival and Quailer now have a year of pro under their belts. Nattinen and Leblanc will hopefully be recovered from injury and Bergevin has taken some initial steps to shore up the veteran presence with players like Tarnasky. Thomas provides some some scoring punch.

The AHL rosters are far from set and as the season approaches a couple of more key names could be added along with some exciting first year prospects like Nygren, Dietz and Andrighetto.

Goaltending looks like it could be improve over last year.

Who will the team lose?
- Gallagher only played part of a season and Dumont's production should be replaced by Thomas.
- Tinordi was a leader but the defense will be more experienced this year and shouldn't have to rely on what he could bring. St. Denis had an off year and the addition of Dietz, Nygren and perhaps a veteran could result in a substantially better defense.
- Hagel and Stortini didn't contribute enough to warrant returning and Tarnasky should easily replace one of them

And on a final note, the coaching staff not only has one more year of experience it has more depth with the addition of Stephan Lebeau.

Lots more will happen before the first puck is dropped in the the Bulldogs regular season. True, it may not be enough to make the playoffs but I think the team has the potential to be far more exciting and competitive than last year. I am really looking forward to see how it unfolds.

Old
08-16-2013, 09:01 PM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
They might not make the playoffs but have you heard of player development. The team already has more experience because players like Beaulieu, Pateryn, Ellis, Holland, Bournival and Quailer now have a year of pro under their belts. Nattinen and Leblanc will hopefully be recovered from injury and Bergevin has taken some initial steps to shore up the veteran presence with players like Tarnasky. Thomas provides some some scoring punch.

The AHL rosters are far from set and as the season approaches a couple of more key names could be added along with some exciting first year prospects like Nygren, Dietz and Andrighetto.

Goaltending looks like it could be improve over last year.

Who will the team lose?
- Gallagher only played part of a season and Dumont's production should be replaced by Thomas.
- Tinordi was a leader but the defense will be more experienced this year and shouldn't have to rely on what he could bring. St. Denis had an off year and the addition of Dietz, Nygren and perhaps a veteran could result in a substantially better defense.
- Hagel and Stortini didn't contribute enough to warrant returning and Tarnasky should easily replace one of them

And on a final note, the coaching staff not only has one more year of experience it has more depth with the addition of Stephan Lebeau.

Lots more will happen before the first puck is dropped in the the Bulldogs regular season. True, it may not be enough to make the playoffs but I think the team has the potential to be far more exciting and competitive than last year. I am really looking forward to see how it unfolds.
Anything above .500 and 12th will be very good.
Making the PO would be extraordinary.

The team will be more competitive.
They lost 14 games by one goal BTW.

Old
08-17-2013, 08:25 AM
HCH

Does anyone know what Alex Belzile's status is?

Old
08-17-2013, 08:41 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Does anyone know what Alex Belzile's status is?
AFAIK, he is not signed with a team.

Habs Prospects website
Old
08-17-2013, 11:41 AM
HCH

I was trying to figure out the potential depth chart for the Bulldogs. Unless I am missing someone, it looks like LW is a weak position with only Quailer and Courtnall signed. I'm not sure of the status of Kyle Hagel. It might mean that Nystrom will have a better than average shot at making the team.

It might also mean that Bergevin will be keeping his eyes open for a veteran free agent. Anyone have thoughts on Josh Brittain and Chad Wiseman. I realize they may not be outstanding players but they would bring some size and experience to the Dogs.

EDIT: I see that Brittain signed with Hershey

Last edited by HCH: 08-17-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old
08-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Treb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post

Worst offense.
4th worst defense.

Martin St-Pierre was 14th in the scoring race, that should help the offence.
St-Denis out, Schiestel in. Don't see that much of a downgrade.
Tarnasky replace Hagel/Stortini with less useless PIM and more offense.
All D-men and forwards have 1 more year of experience.

Offence should go up dramatically. Defence should be at least slightly better. Goaltending depends on Tokarski.

Old
08-17-2013, 06:28 PM
That

Erik Nystrom highlights from this past season:

The assist at the :25 mark is incredible.

I'm really excited to see what he can do with the Bulldogs. He seems to be a talented player. Hopefully he earns a stay longer than 25 games.

Old
08-17-2013, 06:46 PM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Erik Nystrom highlights from this past season:

The assist at the :25 mark is incredible.

I'm really excited to see what he can do with the Bulldogs. He seems to be a talented player. Hopefully he earns a stay longer than 25 games.
Yeah the assist sure was nice. Thanks for that That.
Hopefully he does well in the AHL, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Old
08-18-2013, 09:24 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
I don't believe Quailer will start in the ECHL next season... not at this expense of McCaulay.

I think Dietz is a LD no?
It's my feeling that Quailer is finding his niche and will be a 3rd or 4th line LW with a little truculence when necessary.
He has good positioning already and doesn't let his teammates get pushed around, sounds a lot like Whitey just a bit more controlled.e He will learn some from an old hand at the game in Tarnasky this season, another year and he could be on the Habs 4th line with Whitey as his center.
At Northeastern he would have been their Captain last season and he does have a good wristshot, and a little offence. Hopefully last season was a memory that inspires these players to greater things, with some veteran help this season (St.Pierre, Tarnasky, Schiestel) and a true sniper in Thomas the Bulldogs will get to enjoy a lot more games this season.

Old
08-18-2013, 10:16 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
It's my feeling that Quailer is finding his niche and will be a 3rd or 4th line LW with a little truculence when necessary.
He has good positioning already and doesn't let his teammates get pushed around, sounds a lot like Whitey just a bit more controlled.e He will learn some from an old hand at the game in Tarnasky this season, another year and he could be on the Habs 4th line with Whitey as his center.
At Northeastern he would have been their Captain last season and he does have a good wristshot, and a little offence. Hopefully last season was a memory that inspires these players to greater things, with some veteran help this season (St.Pierre, Tarnasky, Schiestel) and a true sniper in Thomas the Bulldogs will get to enjoy a lot more games this season.
I hope you are right. Quailer brings something that a lot of other Habs prospects don't and that is size. It could be an interesting year for the Dogs but I expect a lot of ups and downs.

Old
08-18-2013, 11:48 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
I hope you are right. Quailer brings something that a lot of other Habs prospects don't and that is size. It could be an interesting year for the Dogs but I expect a lot of ups and downs.
That's a lot better than last year

Old
08-18-2013, 11:53 AM
LeHaboholique

Quote:
That's a lot better than last year
The lockout was better last year.

Old
08-18-2013, 11:57 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHaboholique View Post
The lockout was better last year.
Gotta agree with you there. As hockey starved as I was last year, some times I really hated watching the dogs

Old
08-18-2013, 01:37 PM
TroyM

Quote:
Gotta agree with you there. As hockey starved as I was last year, some times I really hated watching the dogs

Hah, sad but true. Oy that was painful stuff sometimes. "Am I up for watching the kids get utterly crushed again and witnessing the worlds worst powerplay in action?"

I watched most of them pre-lockout, almost all, but as soon as the Habs were back I couldn't do the Dogs again. Definitely going to try again this year though and hope for an improvement.

Old
08-19-2013, 01:52 AM
S Bah

Quote:
I was trying to figure out the potential depth chart for the Bulldogs. Unless I am missing someone, it looks like LW is a weak position with only Quailer and Courtnall signed. I'm not sure of the status of Kyle Hagel. It might mean that Nystrom will have a better than average shot at making the team.

It might also mean that Bergevin will be keeping his eyes open for a veteran free agent. Anyone have thoughts on Josh Brittain and Chad Wiseman. I realize they may not be outstanding players but they would bring some size and experience to the Dogs.

EDIT: I see that Brittain signed with Hershey
Nick Tarnasky is a LW and can produce offence even in the NHL, while a proficient pugilist he's not completely void of hockey skill. The Bulldogs will actually have a few decent players that are capable of scoring this season.

They can skate with the other teams and adding Andrighetto, Duffy, Thomas and St. Pierre to the existing "Sultans on Skates" Bournival, Holland, Leblanc and Naatinen they have the makings of a Top Nine. Blunden, Fournier, Quailer and Tarnasky makes twelve with either experience or offensive skills with serious aspirations of becoming an NHLer.

Courtnall, Chaput, McAuley and Nystrom round out the forwards vying for the chance of being a Bulldog. Nystrom has the inside track on the 13th forward with Chaput possibly edging out anyone that's not ready at the drop of a glove.

My favorite of course will be Justin Courtnall, Rusty's nephew and Geoff's son, from beautiful Victoria, B.C., good family and great people. Everybody's pulling for Justin out here in Victoria, bloodlines give him the best chance and Russ was a great Hab in his day.

Old
08-19-2013, 02:03 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Nick Tarnasky is a LW and can produce offence even in the NHL, while a proficient pugilist he's not completely void of hockey skill. The Bulldogs will actually have a few decent players that are capable of scoring this season.

They can skate with the other teams and adding Andrighetto, Duffy, Thomas and St. Pierre to the existing "Sultans on Skates" Bournival, Holland, Leblanc and Naatinen they have the makings of a Top Nine. Blunden, Fournier, Quailer and Tarnasky makes twelve with either experience or offensive skills with serious aspirations of becoming an NHLer.

Courtnall, Chaput, McAuley and Nystrom round out the forwards vying for the chance of being a Bulldog. Nystrom has the inside track on the 13th forward with Chaput possibly edging out anyone that's not ready at the drop of a glove.

My favorite of course will be Justin Courtnall, Rusty's nephew and Geoff's son, from beautiful Victoria, B.C., good family and great people. Everybody's pulling for Justin out here in Victoria, bloodlines give him the best chance and Russ was a great Hab in his day.
I think Nystrom does better than what you anticipate. He played in a man's league last year and actually put up half decent numbers. I think he might surprise.

Old
08-19-2013, 02:11 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
I think Nystrom does better than what you anticipate. He played in a man's league last year and actually put up half decent numbers. I think he might surprise.
That's why I have him taking the 13th forward position, I follow all our prospects development also.

Old
08-19-2013, 12:39 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Tokarski re-signed, thankfully we won't have Mayer as our #1 now

Closed Thread