HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Cup of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Cup of Hockey Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Sweden, Dark Horse for Gold?

Old
08-18-2013, 11:46 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 50
I expect Sweden to do very well, they will be a fun team to watch.

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 12:13 PM
Hasa92

vCash: 500
Dark horse?

For me Sweden is the Favorite for Gold.

Everyone else is a dark horse after them more or less...

I hope Finland to win the gold thou but to be honest i don't see that happening, yeah anything can happen but my money would still be on Sweden.

Canada, Russia and USA are the other "main" contenders for Gold but i still think Sweden is the strongest one.

My Top 8 power rankings for the next Olympics:

1. Sweden
-
2. Canada
3. Russia
4. USA
-
5. Czech
-
6. Finland
7. Slovakia
-
-
8. Switzerland

Last edited by Hasa92: 08-18-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Hasa92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasa92 View Post
Dark horse?

For me Sweden is the Favorite for Gold.

Everyone else is a dark horse after them more or less...

I hope Finland to win the gold thou but to be honest i don't see that happening, yeah anything can happen but my money would still be on Sweden.

Canada, Russia and USA are the other "main" contenders for Gold but i still think Sweden is the strongest one.

My Top 8 power rankings for the next Olympics:

1. Sweden
-
2. Canada
3. Russia
4. USA
-
5. Czech
-
6. Finland
7. Slovakia
-
-
8. Switzerland
In a short tournament, you can go all the way with a hot goalie. I am a Canadian supporter, but i must say that Canada has shown in recent memory to struggle on the big ice. That is why even though i believe Canada will win, putting my bias to the side, i think Sweden and USA because of their strong goaltending should be the the favourites above Canada. Hopefully Luongo/Price/Crawford can erase my doubts before Sochi. However with King Henrik Lundqvist and Jonathan Quick, i have both Sweden and USA above Canada, with Russia at 4, the Finns at 5, and the Czechs at 6. However, like said previously, in a short tournament it will not be surprise to me any of the top 6 nations win Gold.

Mehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Lollipop

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
If you want the black and white favorite without bias there's no need to look further than the bookies.

Right now it looks something like this:
Canada, Russia
Sweden
USA
Czech Republic, Finland

Slovakia, Switzerland

Norway
Latvia

Austria, Slovenia
Are the bookies really that unbiased? Aren't the odds based on people's bettings? I'm pretty sure that Canadians bet more in icehockey than Swedes because it's their national sport.

Lollipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

People need to get past the U.S. struggling on the big ice. It's not going to happen. The team will feature great skaters, many of whom have either come up through the USNTDP or have extensive experience in international play.

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 08-19-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Hasa92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
, in a short tournament it will not be surprise to me any of the top 6 nations win Gold.
Exactly, the only thing i can almost say for sure is that at least one "upset" will happen, i ranked the teams on how i good i see them on paper at big ice but we can only wait to see how they actually play on the ice, and can all the teams even get their best players to play at all if they get injured.

The Olympics could be a 4 game elimination like the NHL play-offs and any of the Top nations could still win it all.

Hasa92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 06:36 PM
flaneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
In my opinion the teams rank something like this:

Canada
Sweden

Russia
USA

Finland
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Switzerland

The rest
I agree with your order. I'm all for team Canada but team Sweden is my pick for gold in Sochi. And I don't think they are even a dark horse pick on the HF. In another thread where ppl picked their picks for olympic gold (i think the thread was on favorite players), Sweden had more votes than Canada.

flaneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 08:02 AM
Tomas W

Sweden has a well balanced team, with great centers and good puck moving defensemen. We (Sweden) have good depth at D so we can take a couple of injuries/suspentions on that particular section. If we would lose one or more of Zetterberg/Bäckström/H.Sedin it would hurt us a lot though. Could be a key to Swedish succes to have those guys at 100%. Z could of course end up playing wing because of wealth in centers and shortage of wingers.

Goalies should be pretty good too, but that is a part that always very unpredictable. Our scoring wingers might not be as good as lets say the canadians and russians though. Still they are pretty good.

Perhaps Sweden should be ranked 3rd-4th, with a decent chance at reaching the final.

Last edited by Tomas W: 08-19-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Tomas W is online now   Reply With Quote