Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hiller or Fasth

Old
08-18-2013, 12:33 AM
DuckTech
In vino veritas

vCash: 50
side note - knowing Hiller, how many masks will he have this season with the 20 anniversary, throw back game(s), and the outdoor game. Not to mention the Olympics...Movember...am I missing anything?

DuckTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Hockey Duckie

vCash: 500
I'm assuming we keep both. I like how things played out last year. We all know that recent Hiller takes some time to find his bearings. Fasth helped us out tremendously as Hiller did his pattern of playing weak at the start of the season. So Fasth starts with Hiller getting peppered in until we see that confidence reign supreme once again.

Then when Hiller starts looking good and Andersen looking great in Norfolk, that will probably be the best time to trade Hiller. ha ha ha

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 04:00 PM
xxreact9

You know Sojourn, you may as well give up...

Playing exclusively hiller to up his trade value in order to rely on a guy with 20 games of NHL xp and a 20 year old...

Comparing a rookie goalie transition to a rookie etem transition...

Hiller is the starter, but fasth is the better goalie....

Trade hiller for a #1 dman......

These notions are on the border of mental insanity. First off, it's hiller's crease to lose. Second off, I really can't see any instance where trading one of them would be a beneficial option. What kind of value are you going to get at the deadline for half a year of hiller, 1.5 years of unproven inexperienced fasth? How many goalies have we seen traded in the past decade? Very, very few.

In the uttermost rare of instances, in which the team is in dead last and both goalies are playing incredible hockey... maybe one gets moved. In any of the other billion and a half scenarios, it just doesn't make sense. The team has playoff aspirations, and trading hiller for a 2nd round pick to have fasth and andersen/gibson is...insane.........INSANE.

RUN FOR THE HILLS SOJOURN... RUNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

xxreact9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
#10 + #22-26 probably gets you to #6-7. It won't get you a franchise player pick in the top 3-5 range.

Would you trade those picks for a franchise player?
I'm not even sure that there's a franchise player in that 3 to 5 range this year.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 12:19 AM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxreact9 View Post
You know Sojourn, you may as well give up...

Playing exclusively hiller to up his trade value in order to rely on a guy with 20 games of NHL xp and a 20 year old...

Comparing a rookie goalie transition to a rookie etem transition...

Hiller is the starter, but fasth is the better goalie....

Trade hiller for a #1 dman......

These notions are on the border of mental insanity. First off, it's hiller's crease to lose. Second off, I really can't see any instance where trading one of them would be a beneficial option. What kind of value are you going to get at the deadline for half a year of hiller, 1.5 years of unproven inexperienced fasth? How many goalies have we seen traded in the past decade? Very, very few.

In the uttermost rare of instances, in which the team is in dead last and both goalies are playing incredible hockey... maybe one gets moved. In any of the other billion and a half scenarios, it just doesn't make sense. The team has playoff aspirations, and trading hiller for a 2nd round pick to have fasth and andersen/gibson is...insane.........INSANE.

RUN FOR THE HILLS SOJOURN... RUNNNNNNNNN!!!!!
First off Fasth is not a typical "rookie" goalie. He has been playing in professional hockey longer than most rookie goalies stepping into the league. He is 31 (only 6 months younger then Hiller by the way), He played 3 seasons in the SEL which is no walk in the park and is above the AHL in my opinion. Fasth was having a great season before he got hurt. If he continued to play at the sam level and be healthy he would have played 80-90% of the games last season. Then people like you would be asking for Hiller to be out cause "he is an expensive backup".
I am at a point that I feel like Hiller and Fasth are close to a wash. If they were both making $2 mil a season I would say keep them both. Both Hiller is at $4 million and on a contract year. Therefore I think he should be traded cause I want an asset back and I want to clear salary space. Whether you think so or not, goalies can have a huge amount of value at the deadline. We won't know the circumstances until it happens. What if Boston is dominating the league and Rask goes down for the season after game 40? You think they would give up a 2nd and a mid-level prospect for a rental of a #1 goalie for 40 games plus playoffs? You're damn right they would.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 02:25 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
Fasth was having a great season before he got hurt. If he continued to play at the sam level and be healthy he would have played 80-90% of the games last season.
That is absolutely not true. When Fasth got hurt he had started 12 of our first 23 games - a little over 50%. And you have no idea how Fasth will be able to handle the reigns over a full season - he may or may not be durable enough to handle 60+ starts and NHL shooters now have a book on him and will try and exploit his weaknesses.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 02:38 AM
Fallenity

vCash: 950
I don't think there will be a huge market for goalies this trade deadline, since there will probably be a lot of UFA goalies still around to be signed. Whille Hiller might be more proven then these other goalies, he'll also cost assets to acquire, while you only have to sign the others. Furthermore, goalies are usually acquired by teams who want to make a run at the playoffs, but those teams are already usually rather tight against the cap. So if we'd trade Hiller, there'd probably be some salary coming back instead of just picks / prospects.

Fallenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 11:01 AM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
First off Fasth is not a typical "rookie" goalie. He has been playing in professional hockey longer than most rookie goalies stepping into the league. He is 31 (only 6 months younger then Hiller by the way), He played 3 seasons in the SEL which is no walk in the park and is above the AHL in my opinion. Fasth was having a great season before he got hurt. If he continued to play at the sam level and be healthy he would have played 80-90% of the games last season. Then people like you would be asking for Hiller to be out cause "he is an expensive backup".
I am at a point that I feel like Hiller and Fasth are close to a wash. If they were both making $2 mil a season I would say keep them both. Both Hiller is at $4 million and on a contract year. Therefore I think he should be traded cause I want an asset back and I want to clear salary space. Whether you think so or not, goalies can have a huge amount of value at the deadline. We won't know the circumstances until it happens. What if Boston is dominating the league and Rask goes down for the season after game 40? You think they would give up a 2nd and a mid-level prospect for a rental of a #1 goalie for 40 games plus playoffs? You're damn right they would.
you also forget that hiller got hurt as well. which allowed fasth to step in and have his little run in the net. also his great start was seriously helped out by our offense and defense at the time. he played great for the most part but some of those wins were ugly wins because the offense bailed him out.

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote