HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we really want to make playoffs?

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2013, 06:22 AM
Roof Daddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post
Winnipeg won't be ahead of us, they aren't very good.

They struggled a lot last year and have not improved... and this year they won't get to play tampa, carolina, and florida so many games.

Also not sold on Vancouver this year either, the Loungo situation I could see getting ugly and being a distraction.

Also not sure why San Jose is guaranteed to be better then us, Niemi stood on his head last year (can he do it again) and they were still only the 6th seed, they are trending downwards and are aging.

But I completely agree that we can compete for a playoff spot
I think we'll be better than Winnipeg too, but to my understanding even if we finish with more points, we'd be the 4th seed in that division because we're crossing over.

I think Vancouver is entering a decline, but you can't look at both our teams and possibly think we're better. Their D is considerably better, Luongo is better than Dubie, they are better down the middle. We're superior on the wings, that's about it.

San Jose is the same story. Even if you thought we were even with them in forward talent, they'd still get the nod because their forwards actually have size - much better suited for our division. D and G are close, but I'd still give SJ the nod.

Old
08-11-2013, 08:34 AM
nsoilfan

I hate starting the season knowing we have a hole that needs to be filled.

We need a center. I'm not sure what the plan is but having no depth at center is going to hurt is this year.

Picking up a vet on the cheap should be a no brainer. At some point throughout the season we will have center debth.

Old
08-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

No. We are just setting ourselves up for disappointment. We should just go all in once every 15 years or so. Tank the 14 years.

Old
08-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
To answer the question of the thread, yes. I want this club to make the playoffs. I do every year.

I don't even understand why anyone would say "no."
You know. I was very frustrated because we stuck to mediocrity for many years. I was all about this house cleaning and rebuilding. Now we have core pieces together and there is no point to gather picks and high picks but to find complementary pieces to get into playoffs. I really want that center who can play while RNH is in IR. Then we need to add next off season a top pairing defense man.

It would be extremely disappointing to see this team out off playoffs this season.

Last edited by Broilers: 08-13-2013 at 04:05 AM.
Old
08-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post
Winnipeg won't be ahead of us, they aren't very good.

They struggled a lot last year and have not improved... and this year they won't get to play tampa, carolina, and florida so many games.

Also not sold on Vancouver this year either, the Loungo situation I could see getting ugly and being a distraction.

Also not sure why San Jose is guaranteed to be better then us, Niemi stood on his head last year (can he do it again) and they were still only the 6th seed, they are trending downwards and are aging.

But I completely agree that we can compete for a playoff spot
Huh? SJ almost beat the defending SC champions and gave them everything they could handle. SJ would have been good enough to beat any Eastern club.
Plus in the matchup SJ owns us. They swept us last year, its been 2.5 seasons since we've beaten them in regulation time and to be precise we've beaten them once in regulation in the last 3 seasons. You expect, somehow, that we are better than the Sharks because of "trending down"? What does that mean objectively?

We don't match up well against Nucks either. We get schooled by veteran clubs time and time again. Plus that the Nucks are much more consistent than us in regular season and show up for a much higher proportion of games. Nucks are good in the regular season, always.

Old
08-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

San Jose, Los Angeles, and Vancouver will be better than us. We need to hope Anahiem falls off as they do every 2nd year.

Old
08-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

We beat Vancouver in the season series last year. No reason we can't do it again.

It's the Cali teams that will mangle us like they do each year.

Old
08-11-2013, 12:35 PM
nitz

vCash: 543
Is there any reason why we WOULDN'T want to make the playoffs? I've had enou of this damn rebuild. Last season was the year of transition between lottery picks and playoffs. It's time to start pushing for the playoffs.

Old
08-11-2013, 12:47 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz View Post
Is there any reason why we WOULDN'T want to make the playoffs? I've had enou of this damn rebuild. Last season was the year of transition between lottery picks and playoffs. It's time to start pushing for the playoffs.
ZOMG TOP PROSPECTZ.

/sarcasm.

Old
08-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Apocalyptic Mist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
Ot course we want to make th e playoffs, but it getting clear that management is willing to wait for Klefbom and nurse, and try to come close with an imbalanced roster.

As for the Smid, just another example of Oiler fans overrating a player with endearing qualities. If the best u can say about a player is he blocks a lot of shots, then he's not that good. Smid is a 4-5 defenseman.
I would think that most people would say that Smid is a #4d. He would be on almost every team.

Old
08-12-2013, 01:00 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Considering that other teams in this league each year make the playoffs with worse rosters and more injuries it is time for the oilers to put up. Nothing short of the playoffs will be an acceptable result.

Also re RNH, we wouldn't be having this conversation if the dopes had shut the guy down for surgery when they should have last year. But this is the oilers we are talking about.
took the words out of my mouth. qft

Old
08-13-2013, 12:41 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
I honestly don't see the Oilers finishing above 6th in the Pacific division.

Calgary is the only team the Oilers "should" be able to finish ahead of... and who knows, if Calgary can get solid goaltending (though doubtful)... the Oilers could conceivably finish in the basement in the Pacific.

I'm being realistic when I say the Oilers defense is mediocre, goaltending is average at best with Labarbera being a step down from Khabi imo... and the bottom 6 is still mediocre.

The only area where the Oilers excel is a great top 6 but a lot of other teams have a good top 6 as well.

I think it all adds up to yet another tough season ahead... and a playoff spot is a very big longshot instead of a decent possibility.

Old
08-13-2013, 12:50 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Tambellini was very inactive during the regular season. Was it incompetence or a mandate to continue tanking? That's up for debate but I'll lean on the former.

Anyway, the big test for MacT will be the season. He seems to want to make the playoffs so if the team flounders early on will he act? Or will he sit on his hands like Tambellini? To be continued.

Old
08-13-2013, 01:35 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Vancouver isn't going to be any better even if Luongo does come back.

I'm actually not all that impressed with how the powerhouse teams of the West have managed their assets to improve. With Detroit out the door and the Jets over here instead I don't see us having a harder time next year.

We're a better team and most of the other teams in the west looked pretty flat footed over the off season. We might not make the playoffs, but we'll be in the hunt for a helluva lot longer than we've been in it for a very long time.

I'll be disappointed if we finish any more than 4 points out of the playoffs.
If we make the playoffs I will be surprised because I'm really not happy with our bottom six. (I'd rather see Jones on the 4th line, don't want Ryan Smyth, we need a legit 4th line center and why the hell is Hemsky still here)

I'll be satisfied with 9th or 10th place in the west this year and I think it's very attainable. If Perron and Ference click well, Yakupov, Hopkins and Eberle take another step forward (no matter how small the step may be) and our 4th line holds it's own compared to other 4th lines out there (That last one is a big if IMO) we should look like a playoff team.

What would it be like playing the Hawks in the first round? Scary I know, but given the style that they play it would still be fun. I don't think it would be a low scoring series. Any playoff experience would be better than none even if we get booted out in 4 or 5 games to the champs.

Old
08-13-2013, 01:43 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz View Post
Last year was clearly the transitional season that it was supposed to be. As the season dragged on our bottom 3 d-men looked worse and worse.

Now our former #3 guy in Nick Schultz is looking like our #6 guy as Belov and Ference should easily outplay him. Great for us.

The transition is going to continue, though. As Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse work their way into our lineup we're going to stay young and the image of our team is going to change.

I could see Ference playing third pairing minutes behind Klefbom and Smid (We have way too many freaking left handed d-men) before the end of his contract. Who knows. Maybe Smid gets traded and our blueline ends up looking like this 2 seasons from now.

Klefbom-Schultz
Ference-Petry
Nurse- Belov/New guy/WHY IS IT SO HARD TO GET RIGHT HANDED D-MEN?!?!?!?

Old
08-13-2013, 04:24 AM
Broilers

Let's how standings might look like

Seeds 1-2 Vancouver, Los Angeles
Seeds 3-5 Anaheim, San Jose, Edmonton
Seeds 6-7 Phoenix, Calgary

http://oilersnation.com/2013/8/12/20...-anaheim-ducks

Jonathan Willis thought that Anaheim is stronger team. Let's see? This is really depending how we start without RNH. We are lucky that we do not play against own division more than 2 games in October (Kings Canucks). So we should be ok against when we need to meet San Jose and Anaheim. I think both of those teams are in decline and we have some chance to beat one of them in standings and good chance take series against those teams to home.

Central division is weak so. It may be enough to take fifth seed in our own division and make playoffs. We need to win series against Nashville, Columbus and Winnipeg.

By the way Peter Mueller is without contract and is UFA. He might fill the void to fill number 2 center spot for the October. Maybe we are close to 50 contracts now and this is keeping MacT from signing contracts. Do you know how many contracts we have now??

If look

Old
08-13-2013, 04:50 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
Let's how standings might look like

Seeds 1-2 Vancouver, Los Angeles
Seeds 3-5 Anaheim, San Jose, Edmonton
Seeds 6-7 Phoenix, Calgary

http://oilersnation.com/2013/8/12/20...-anaheim-ducks

Jonathan Willis thought that Anaheim is stronger team. Let's see? This is really depending how we start without RNH. We are lucky that we do not play against own division more than 2 games in October (Kings Canucks). So we should be ok against when we need to meet San Jose and Anaheim. I think both of those teams are in decline and we have some chance to beat one of them in standings and good chance take series against those teams to home.

Central division is weak so. It may be enough to take fifth seed in our own division and make playoffs. We need to win series against Nashville, Columbus and Winnipeg.

By the way Peter Mueller is without contract and is UFA. He might fill the void to fill number 2 center spot for the October. Maybe we are close to 50 contracts now and this is keeping MacT from signing contracts. Do you know how many contracts we have now??

If look
To have Edmonton pegged at 3rd-5th is pretty crazy to me.

Ducks do have depth problems, though. They badly need another center to play on the second line but they clack the cap space unless Teamu is going to retire.

Old
08-13-2013, 05:11 AM
Ice Whole

The Ducks wont be that good this season. IMO, they didn't even improve. They lost one of their best players in Bobby Ryan. Selanne might retire and who knows if Fasth will have a good season. They seem to be pretty overrated IMO. The Kings, Sharks and Canucks will be the top 3 teams but I expect the Sharks and Canucks to be on the decline, even then, they will be top 3 in our div. I think the Oilers fight for that fourth spot in our division. The 6 teams that will make it are Chicago, St.Louis and Minnesota from the central division and LA, San Jose and Vancouver from the pacific division. After that, it's a toss up.

Old
08-13-2013, 08:21 AM
Oil and Avs

vCash: 958
I have a hard time imagining a world where the oilers are in the playoffs. Seems like some sort of dream land to be honest

Old
08-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Tambellini was very inactive during the regular season. Was it incompetence or a mandate to continue tanking? That's up for debate but I'll lean on the former.

Anyway, the big test for MacT will be the season. He seems to want to make the playoffs so if the team flounders early on will he act? Or will he sit on his hands like Tambellini? To be continued.
I don't think it's a question of if he acts. I'm pretty sure he will if he needs to.
MacT is nothing like Tambo was.

Old
08-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Apocalyptic Mist*

Honestly guys im not scared of this division... we are probably in the best division to prepare the Oilers for the playoff rigors whether it be this year or not. Maybe thats just me though, im just very optimistic in general.

Old
08-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Broilers

I have read Jonathan Willis blogs. Good reads IMO. I am not JW

http://jetsnation.ca/2013/8/18/2013-...hoenix-coyotes

http://oilersnation.com/2013/8/17/20...an-jose-sharks

So it seems tom that this year can be play off year if everything goes right and some teams are doing things wrong

Kings
Nucks
Sharks
Ducks
Oilers
Coyetes
Flames

This is reasonable expectation and we have slim chance to make playoffs if we are lucky. But it seems tome more like 90 pts season and number 12 pick because of the lack of center depth.

But we do have chances to beat ducks. But all teams above us are in decline excluding Kings so year 2014 That we will catch at least one one of follows SJ, Nucks, Ducks if not all of them. If McT can just bring top3 defence man, thrid line power forward and depth center we will be number 2 2014-2015

Old
08-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I don't think it's a question of if he acts. I'm pretty sure he will if he needs to.
MacT is nothing like Tambo was.
I know what you mean.

Tambo said nothing and did little.

MacT says a lot and does little.

Old
08-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
I know what you mean.

Tambo said nothing and did little.

MacT says a lot and does little.
Talk is cheap!
Now it seems to me that he is chickening out to make a couple of minor moves which will get team going on. Impatience, bold moves?? Not so bold!

Old
08-19-2013, 05:14 PM
Panda Bear

We want to make the playoffs next season (or come damn near). We're at a point in our team's development where we need to be attracting quality free agents to supplement our core players. Free agents like good teams, and good teams get better discounts because the players want to be part of success.

We're waiting on enough defensive prospects (e.g. Klefbom, Marincin, Nurse) and a few hopefuls for our bottom six (e.g. Khaira, Lander, Ewanyk) that we no longer need to draft high.

If we finish low in the standings again next year, we're risking a permanent dent in morale for our core and a reputation among free agents as an always-basement team rather than a team on the rise.

Closed Thread