HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Proposal Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Draft

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
It would be great but we better be ready to give back. He ain't coming cheap
The biggest problem is that we're terrible trading partners in terms of team strengths and weaknesses. Very odd to have so many rumours surrounding him and the Habs.

Old
08-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Hainsey was the most trusted dman on Winnipeg's PK by a mile, and top 3 (5 seconds behind Bogo) at ES. He is 32 years old and only missed 1 game last season, so I don't think a huge decline should be expected. IMO his reputation from a decade ago shouldn't carry any weight at this point.
I doubt any team signs Hainsey (unfortunately) as there seems to be collusion between owners due to his role in the last CBA negotiation. I wish the NHLPA could prove that somehow... Hainsey is still a very good and serviceable defenseman who could help many NHL clubs.

Old
08-19-2013, 10:26 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
I doubt any team signs Hainsey (unfortunately) as there seems to be collusion between owners due to his role in the last CBA negotiation. I wish the NHLPA could prove that somehow... Hainsey is still a very good and serviceable defenseman who could help many NHL clubs.
Sad if that's the case. At $1MM he's a bargain on a 1 year deal. Worse comes to worse, you can take $900k off the cap by shipping him to the minors.

Given Markov's age, history and compressed season this year due to the Olympics, Hainsey would be a good fit with the Habs IMO but I've always loved a bargain!

Sign him and Morrow with the $3MM+ we have in cap and we'd address depth issues both front and back.

Old
08-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't like Hainsey as a player, and I don't think it's any carryover from his time here, I watch him more recently and still feel like he gets overrated, he's kind of soft and not really the kind of defenseman I'd want to add to our group. But at $1M... i.e. 2/3rds the cost of Bouillon? You can't really go wrong, can you? Hence why I don't really believe that rumour on his asking price. But hypothetically, if you did have him, and he played a solid season, at that pricetag and with no carryover salary hits, he'd be a reasonably valuable asset to have, either for our team, or as a trade commodity, etc.

I'd still rather pursue a more physical guy. But end of the day, would be dissatisfied with unused cap space, so would settle for Hainsey.

Old
08-19-2013, 01:46 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Question from left field...

Would Steve Bernier be a good acquisition for our bottom 6?

Old
08-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyd View Post
Question from left field...

Would Steve Bernier be a good acquisition for our bottom 6?
Um, no? Of course, it always depends on the cost of the acquisition. But in general, he seems to be playing well for the Devils recently, hence it would likely cost something significant-ish to get them to part with him, hence it would probably not be worthwhile, just to get a bottom-6 forward.

Unless you secretly think he has top-6 upside and are gambling on that emerging? I think the previous 5 or 6 teams he was on have concluded that those old draft day hopes are not to be realized? He's 28 now?

While he seems to be a decent enough player in general, I don't see how he represents much of an upgrade for us. If he was a free agent and we had an opening, sure, I'd be interested in signing him. But I wouldn't bother trading for him at this point in the season/off-season.

Old
08-19-2013, 04:11 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Steve Bernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
While he seems to be a decent enough player in general, I don't see how he represents much of an upgrade for us. If he was a free agent and we had an opening, sure, I'd be interested in signing him. But I wouldn't bother trading for him at this point in the season/off-season.
Bah...I was re-hashing the thought of sending Gionta back to NJ. They have new ownership and cap space.

If they were salary retention on our end, the higher the percentage, the higher pick or prospect would be packaged with Bernier so that we at least get some body depth in return.

Maybe Bernier + Noreau for Gio?

Old
08-19-2013, 04:19 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Bah...I was re-hashing the thought of sending Gionta back to NJ. They have new ownership and cap space.

If they were salary retention on our end, the higher the percentage, the higher pick or prospect would be packaged with Bernier so that we at least get some body depth in return.

Bernier isn't an upgrade on anything in our bottom 6 not named parros

Old
08-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:

That would be a really efficient way to make our top 6 much, much weaker. Good stuff.

Old
08-19-2013, 04:56 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
That would be a really efficient way to make our top 6 much, much weaker. Good stuff.
Gionta is in our Top-6 beginning this season?

Old
08-19-2013, 04:57 PM
MXD

Quote:

Eh.... What's the point of getting THAT Noreau?

Old
08-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I tend to agree, but I think at this point I'd be willing to experiment with him in Moen's spot (in the depth chart) as a straight swap. Bernier isn't horrible as a 10-13 min/night guy (miles from projections on his draft position, obviously), and I'd say he has at least twice the puck skills of Moen. He's basically a better Blunden, but that really doesn't help the big club as much as other changes/additions might. Makes us younger and bigger, at least, but soft size isn't really the order of the day.

Old
08-19-2013, 05:15 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Gionta is in our Top-6 beginning this season?
Yup, just like he has ever since he came here.

One major injury doesn't remove the usefulness of a player. Yes Gionta got injured, but he always produces and is great 5 on 5.

Top 6 for sure.

Old
08-19-2013, 05:17 PM
MXD

Quote:

One major injury doesn't remove the usefulness of a player. Yes Gionta got injured, but he always produces and is great 5 on 5.

Top 6 for sure.
Actually, I have no problem with Gionta being considered Top-6 player, as long as it doesn't imply that he plays on the powerplay.

Old
08-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Actually, I have no problem with Gionta being considered Top-6 player, as long as it doesn't imply that he plays on the powerplay.
Which is a good point, his production on the PP is fairly below par, at least it was last year IIRC.

However we lack players that can play a decent ES game, which is why I always slot Gionta in a top 6 role.

I just don't get the obsession with wanting to trade him away. He won't give us a good return and would instantly weaken the team with his departure.

Old
08-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
He ain 't an upgrade over Parros either. George has a role, Bernier is simply a jersey-filler.

Old
08-19-2013, 07:38 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Wasn't implying he was an upgrade. I just think he would be better depth then what we have now.

Personally I would pursue Jerred Smithson.

Old
08-19-2013, 07:43 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:

Top 6 for sure.
Yes, he is still top 6 material. But...

1) In light of Briere's signing
2) Our young talent that needs to develop as top-6 players
3) The fact that we have won more games then none without Gionta in the lineup

...makes me believe he is expendable as soon as he can be expended.

Old
08-19-2013, 08:54 PM
Pavel_Bure

I really believe that DD should be moved, what could we get for him. In my opinion we really need a stay at home damn.

Patches-plek-gally
Bourque-Briere-gionta
a Gally-eller-prust
Parros-white-Moen

subban-Gorges
Markov- stay at home D
Tinordi/emelin/bouillon/Diaz/

At the end of the year let Moen, gionta, bouillon all walk. After Brieres contract is up move A gally to the middle. Thoughts?

Old
08-19-2013, 09:08 PM
siriushab

What would you want to get back as a habs fan to trade Price for Luongo and his bad contract?

Old
08-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriushab View Post
What would you want to get back as a habs fan to trade Price for Luongo and his bad contract?
my drugs

Old
08-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Horvat.

How does salary recapture work?

As an example, if we keep Luongo for 3 years and then he retires he would be paid about $4 million more then his cap hit, so would that amount have to be repaid over a few years or only a part of it would have to be repaid?

Old
08-19-2013, 10:31 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
A Pavel Bure in shape and ready for a cup.

Old
08-21-2013, 09:45 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Which is a good point, his production on the PP is fairly below par, at least it was last year IIRC.

However we lack players that can play a decent ES game, which is why I always slot Gionta in a top 6 role.

I just don't get the obsession with wanting to trade him away. He won't give us a good return and would instantly weaken the team with his departure.
That's a sort of paradoxical statement isn't it," He won't give us a good return and would instantly weaken the team with his departure." How on earth, can he be both? Really wonder if Cody Franson is on the shopping list or Brendan Morrow, either could be a good addition.

Old
08-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
That's a sort of paradoxical statement isn't it," He won't give us a good return and would instantly weaken the team with his departure." How on earth, can he be both? Really wonder if Cody Franson is on the shopping list or Brendan Morrow, either could be a good addition.
He scores goals and is good 5 on 5 . He is an asset to the team.

However he is an aging forward who is on his last year of his contract, thus he won't bring in a very good return that would replace his production.

The two statements can definitely co-exist in harmony.

Closed Thread