HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread V: Needs to End Edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSauer View Post
Love Nash, but it was really evident in the playoffs that he has no mean streak whatsoever; to say I was disappointed in his PO performance would be a huge understatement...
finally someone who agrees with me...... for a big guy, he doesnt play big or intimidate on a consistent basis... big players need to do thos.. guys liike Perry, Getzlaf, Brown, Kesler does this on a regular basis. i wish Nash would use his big body more instead of trying to be a fancy deking premiter type player...

Old
08-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Kesler is an Olympic diver.

Old
08-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

There's a pretty major difference between being a big guy who isn't nasty and a guy who is a "perimeter player". Nash scores a ton of goals by powering to the net. He's certainly not a perimeter player. Being big doesn't mean you're required to have a nasty streak.

Old
08-19-2013, 01:53 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
finally someone who agrees with me...... for a big guy, he doesnt play big or intimidate on a consistent basis... big players need to do thos.. guys liike Perry, Getzlaf, Brown, Kesler does this on a regular basis. i wish Nash would use his big body more instead of trying to be a fancy deking premiter type player...
Did you like Jagr? Hossa?

Big players who utilize their body well are still very effective.

Old
08-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Did you like Jagr? Hossa?

Big players who utilize their body well are still very effective.
Adding to that:

Joe Thornton and Malkin. 2 hart trophy winners.

Old
08-19-2013, 01:59 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Kesler is an Olympic diver.

But it's not like he'll be the first diver Torts has ever coached.

08-19-2013, 02:20 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
“If we can find a solution, it’s no secret that this is where I want to be; I’m not thinking about free agency at all,” said Lundqvist, who hit the ice with a half-dozen teammates after returning to New York from Sweden on Sunday. “The way the organization has treated me, the way that our team has played over the last few years, the way I feel about New York City, this is definitely the place I want to be.

“But we do have a few things we have to talk about.”
Quote:
“Ideally, of course it would be nice to have everything in place by the time the season starts [on Oct. 3], but at the same time, it’s not a must,” Lundqvist said. “My agent [Don Meehan] is going to be handling it all until I have to be involved at the end, so I am going to be able to focus mentally on playing without the contract being a distraction.
Quote:
Brad Richards, Rick Nash, Dan Girardi, Michael Del Zotto, Mats Zuccarello and Derek Dorsett were also on the ice. Richards has spent much of the last month skating at rink in Connecticut with a number of NHL players including Marty St. Louis.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...uxu8FMmFR2GgrO

Brooks wrote Lundqvist will likely earn $8.25M-$9.5M per on an eight year extension

Old
08-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

At this point I don't see the Hank contract as a distraction for anyone... especially him. Like he said, that's what agents are for.

- Agent deals with $/contract, etc.

- Hank stops pucks.

- Everyone happy.

Old
08-19-2013, 02:50 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Richards spent the summer working out at a facility run by Ben Prentiss in Darien,CT. St.Louis lives in CT during the summer. van Riemsdyk,Atkinson,Moulson,Pacioretty and Quick also worked out there. The last 4 are from CT. They drink those protein shakes. Train.

http://www.prentisshockey.com

Atkinson had a charity event a few weeks ago. Kreider and Brassard attended. Atkinson and Kreider were teammates at BC. Atkinson and Brassard in Columbus.

Old
08-19-2013, 02:53 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Richards spent the summer working out at a facility run by Ben Prentiss in Darien,CT. St.Louis lives in CT during the summer. van Riemsdyk,Atkinson,Moulson,Pacioretty and Quick also worked out there. The last 4 are from CT. They drink those protein shakes. Train.

http://www.prentisshockey.com

Atkinson had a charity event a few weeks ago. Kreider and Brassard attended. Atkinson and Kreider were teammates at BC. Atkinson and Brassard in Columbus.
Hugh Jessiman is working out there this off-season as well. Can't believe you missed that one, RB!

Old
08-19-2013, 03:02 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Hugh Jessiman is working out there this off-season as well. Can't believe you missed that one, RB!
Who?

He signed to play in the KHL this season.

Old
08-19-2013, 03:10 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Its a big year for Brad Richards. He has to make the Rangers decision to buy him out a tough one. Richards will get another big contract as a free agent next summer when/if the Rangers buy him out. Richards needs to have a bounce back season. The cap will go up. Vinny got a big contract from the Flyers. He had the Flyers,Stars,Wings,Bruins and Habs chasing after him. Richards had 34 points in 46 games. 60 point pace. He had 66 points in his first season in 82 games played.

Old
08-19-2013, 05:20 PM
bernmeister

Quote:

Old
08-19-2013, 05:21 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Who?

He signed to play in the KHL this season.

Old
08-19-2013, 05:23 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Its a big year for Brad Richards. He has to make the Rangers decision to buy him out a tough one. Richards will get another big contract as a free agent next summer when/if the Rangers buy him out. Richards needs to have a bounce back season. The cap will go up. Vinny got a big contract from the Flyers. He had the Flyers,Stars,Wings,Bruins and Habs chasing after him. Richards had 34 points in 46 games. 60 point pace. He had 66 points in his first season in 82 games played.
Odds are he'll get another contract, but we should not do anything but let him and that albatross of a contract go ASAP.

Old
08-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Odds are he'll get another contract, but we should not do anything but let him and that albatross of a contract go ASAP.
Well he has like 6 years left on it after this one IIRC. So buyout is imminent...hopefully

Old
08-19-2013, 06:55 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

If Richards can regain his PPG form, his cap hit would be fair. Even at his recent 60-70pt pace it's not terrible. Cap recapture makes it too risky not to use the compliance buy-out, though. Richards is essentially playing for his next contract this year.

Old
08-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Hariken

Doubt the beaver can regain his form. He looked absolutely lost out there last season. And he's only getting older and slower.

Not to mention there is no spot for him on this team, really. Step has 1C, Brassard 2C, Boyle 3C (big body checking line center).

That leaves Richards as 4C. Haha...

Old
08-19-2013, 08:39 PM
pld459666

Richards looked like his legs gave out. Be that from chasing some NY tail combined with not doing enough training or he was slipping.

The FACT is that his annual average production has declined for 4 straight seasons.

He's a goner

Old
08-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather = Evil Genius

Quote:

Nash was out of shape. NHL Network has shown various games this summer. Last weekend it was Ovechkin's first goal in the NHL in 2005. The Caps hosted Columbus. Nash looked so much thinner than he looks today. Yes it was 8 years ago. Ovechkin looks the same. There is no lockout for another 7-9 years so the players can't use the lockout as an excuse for not playing or being out of shape. Nash played in Switzerland before returning to North America in December. He hurt his shoulder and groin in Europe. Nash left Switzerland to get the groin injury checked out in early December. Did he skate much for those 4-5 weeks from the time he left Switzerland to when the lockout ended? Many players took time off for the holiday season. Brad Richards went home to PEI. The lockout was also an excuse used for Ryane Clowe.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...SrI/story.html
I 100% agree with Nash being out of shape. I really like Nash as a player, so that's not to hate on him. But I thought his conditioning was noticeably worse than in previous seasons (I've been a fan of Nash for a long time so I've watched tons of games on Center Ice over the past 6 or 7 seasons). He seemed to lumber and be tired late in games. I think it stood out on this team because our other main guys that Torts would lean on late in games such as Stepan, Cally, Hags, Gabby, McD, G, Del Z were all in such good shape from playing under Torts, that Nash being tired late in games definitely stood out.

I really hope Nash conditioned hard this off-season and comes to camp in his best shape ever. However, he does seem to be the type to be a bit lazy with his conditioning and relying on his talent and his stride length to keep him up to speed in games. Hopefully I'm wrong about that and he comes into camp in amazing shape. I think if Nash had the conditioning of Hagelin that he would be a 45-35 player.

As for his playoff performance, I think some of it is unwarranted. Not all players are going to be Lucic out there. I thought Nash's performance was better than his points indicate, although still disappointing. I think the main factor in his lack of performance comes down to confidence and lack of experience in the playoffs. Hopefully this playoff season got his nerves out and gave him a feel for it and next season he will be a force and put up points in the playoffs.

Last edited by Glen Sathers Cigar: 08-19-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old
08-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Barnaby

I really like Nash. I'd love to see him play angry at times, but it's just not his game. I think he'll have a great season this year playing next to Stepan. I could see both players putting up monster numbers.

Old
08-20-2013, 04:58 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Henrik Lundqvist doesn't waste much time getting back into action. He was at an event with Andy Murray last night across the street from the Garden. Murray was promoting a tennis match to be played at the Garden in March. He is also in town for the U.S. Open which starts on Monday.

Quote:
Lundqvist opted to not discuss his preferred length of a potential new contract or dollar amount on Monday. But he did add that, "there's more to just money in this," adding that it matters who surrounds the King in the Rangers' kingdom in years to come.
The guy eats up Manhattan.

Quote:
"As a group, it's always enthusing to see what a new coach can do,'' he said. "But for me as a goalie, it doesn't really change; I approach the game the same way. With the guys we have right now, I think we are in the right direction and I'm anxious to get back on the ice."
Quote:
Assistant general manager Jeff Gorton told reporters earlier this month, "Henrik wants to be here and we want Henrik. At the end of the day, it shouldn't be too difficult to get a deal."

With a look toward the direction of Madison Square Garden, Lundqvist seemingly agreed with Gorton's assessment of the situation.

"I love it here, I really do," said Lundqvist, who lives in Manhattan. "There's a few things we have to discuss, but like I keep telling everyone, I've had such a great time in New York with the way the fans have treated me and with the challenge to be here, I just love that part. We'll see what happens but it will be fun to stay."
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...king-1.5921354

Old
08-20-2013, 08:57 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollsylt View Post
Doubt the beaver can regain his form. He looked absolutely lost out there last season. And he's only getting older and slower.

Not to mention there is no spot for him on this team, really. Step has 1C, Brassard 2C, Boyle 3C (big body checking line center).

That leaves Richards as 4C. Haha...
A rejuvenated Richards is just as good as Stepan and definitely better than Brassard.

Old
08-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Rejuvenated Richards would be such a huge help, in many ways

Old
08-20-2013, 09:44 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote: