HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4 Ufa`s On Defence

Old
11-08-2006, 02:13 PM
onemorecup*

vCash: 500
4 Ufa`s On Defence

the chance of Ninimaa, Markov, Souray, and Rivet all coming back are slim to probably none. Gainey has proved and hsown one thing as our GM, he doesn`t get involved in dumb financial signings. Samsonov maybe overpaid at 3 mil , but its only
for 2 years , not 5 . With this in mind how do you think it unfolds on defence . My feeling is this .

Rivet - odd man out , he tries hard but his game appears to be going downhill
probably dealt near the deadline.

Markov- will be signed , around 16 over 4 years . I don`t think Bob goes much over
this.

Ninimaa- is now a comfortable 5th Dman , 2 years at 1.4 a year max, in my opinion

Souray - this is where it gets dicey , HE IS NOT A 5 MIL DMAN , seriously if
Pronger and Neidermayer are 6-6.5 , how the hell do you pay Sheldon 5.
I don`t care what Kubina got , he doesn`t deserve more than 3.5 on
this team. I don`t see Gainey caving in , look at Buffalo how they utilize
thier defence.

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Habsfan18

Markov - 4 years/20 million

Souray - 3 years/12 million (assuming he wants to stay and not go to a west coast team)

Rivet - 2 years/4 million (this is all I would offer)

Niinima - not brought back.

We have to keep in mind that Abby, Higgins, Johnson, Ryder, Komisarek, Perezhogin, Plekanec and Bonk all need new contracts..I would like all of those back, though I could live with Bonk being gone.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
the chance of Ninimaa, Markov, Souray, and Rivet all coming back are slim to probably none. Gainey has proved and hsown one thing as our GM, he doesn`t get involved in dumb financial signings. Samsonov maybe overpaid at 3 mil , but its only
for 2 years , not 5 . With this in mind how do you think it unfolds on defence . My feeling is this .

Rivet - odd man out , he tries hard but his game appears to be going downhill
probably dealt near the deadline.

Markov- will be signed , around 16 over 4 years . I don`t think Bob goes much over
this.

Ninimaa- is now a comfortable 5th Dman , 2 years at 1.4 a year max, in my opinion

thier defence.
I would rather sign Ribeiro to play as a DMAN. This guy ****ing blows...Gainey will not re-sign him. You also forget that Dandenault is the 5th Dman, and Bouillon is the 6th, so you're offering a 1.4 payment for a 7th...Sounds smart.

As for Souray, he IS a 5mil dman... Look around the league. Bums such as McCabe, Kubina, Gonchar, Chara, Rafalski, Jovonovksi, K.Johnsson, Blake, Norstrom, Foote, Aucoin are all making over 4m$

Luckily, I think Souray loves it here and shall re-sign something along the lines of 4 year 16 million.

Markov, I'm not sure about...If he wants more than 5m, I say let him walk...

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 02:52 PM
psychonaut

Souray 5 Mil??? No way.
I would not give that to Markov
I would say something like 4 to 4.5 Markov
3 to 3.5 Souray.
Also if the cap does not go up and I do not think it will, Ufa should not get the kind of money they got last year.

psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 02:58 PM
24cups1team

Send a message via MSN to 24cups1team
we've talked about who might be leaving so far how about who u guys think could be coming in?? i know UFAs supposedly dont like montreal but ignoring that which ufas nexts year could replace any of the four we currently have??

24cups1team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 03:02 PM
boomboom

My priority on Def:

1- Sourray: 10 mil. for 3 years (3.5 - 3.5 and 3)
2- Markov: 12 mil. for 3 years (4 - 4- and 4) if NO, let him go.
3- Rivet: 5.5 mil. for 3 years (2 - 2 - 1.5)

Let go of Ninimaa

boomboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 03:05 PM

I think Markov is a must also a given. They're not going to let him walk away for nothing.

I'm not sure they aren't prepared to walk away from the other 3 though.

IMO - the way things stand now, the only one's i'd resign are Souray and Markov.

Rivet I would let walk unless he's willing to accept a short term contract no longer than 2 years and he'd also have to take a paycut, all of this means he'll look elsewhere.

Niinimaa also walks

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 03:08 PM
advantage2006

Markov-12Mil/3Yr If he doesn't like it trade him for another D-Man +

Souray-7Mil/2Yr I want him back because f his shot

Rivet-3Mil/2Yr Deserves a spot because of his leadership

Niinima-No Deal because of too many giveaways and guarentees

advantage2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Poochie_D

If I were Gainey I would put my total concentration on Markov. Rivet is a loyal guy with the CH tattooed on his heart. I'm sure he'll extend the organization every opportunity to sign him and probably let them know of offers he's getting throughout the league. He will have to take a small paycut for Bob to ink him. Souray is the most likely of the 3 to leave and I'd hate to see him go but this could be our opportunity to replace him with a more defensively responsible guy with similar offensive ability. I'm positive Bob thinks we need to upgrade our D a touch. Niinimaa will no doubt in my mind walk away.

Poochie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie_D View Post
If I were Gainey I would put my total concentration on Markov. Rivet is a loyal guy with the CH tattooed on his heart. I'm sure he'll extend the organization every opportunity to sign him and probably let them know of offers he's getting throughout the league. He will have to take a small paycut for Bob to ink him. Souray is the most likely of the 3 to leave and I'd hate to see him go but this could be our opportunity to replace him with a more defensively responsible guy with similar offensive ability. I'm positive Bob thinks we need to upgrade our D a touch. Niinimaa will no doubt in my mind walk away.
agreed.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 03:18 PM
LeMAD

I'm guessing Markov will sign at 4.5-5.5M/y. Hugely depending on this season, Souray will sign at 3.5M-5M / y. At 3.5M it's ok, but 4M or more let him go. Rivet will get 2.5M. Niinimaa will get a ticket for Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom View Post
My priority on Def:

1- Sourray: 10 mil. for 3 years (3.5 - 3.5 and 3)
2- Markov: 12 mil. for 3 years (4 - 4- and 4) if NO, let him go.
3- Rivet: 5.5 mil. for 3 years (2 - 2 - 1.5)

Let go of Ninimaa
Not enough in all cases...

Last edited by montreal: 11-08-2006 at 03:26 PM.
LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 03:50 PM
bjac

Markov should be priority followed closely by Souray. While both are different types of players, they are two of the most valuble players that the Habs have. Markov is the only top pairing puck moving defensemen that we have. For obvious reasons the Habs have to sign him or find a replacement. Unfortunately, from what I have read, Markov is the best available puck moving defensemen on the free agent market this summer so he is going to demand alot of money (probably in the 4.5-5 million range). I wouldnt be upset if Gainey offered him a Kaberle type of deal. I am not crazy about his lack of emotion, but I still have faith that he is only going to get better.

Souray is often underappreciated because of his defensive blunders, but make no mistake, he has a top 3 point shot in the league and is actually not too bad when it comes to handling the puck. I know Spezza, Bergeron and Briere all made fools of him last season, but IMO he has gotten better defensively and doesn't commit to the body as much when its 1 on 1 (probably because he learned from his mistakes). His offensive side is too much for the Habs to lose and I don't think that they will be able to find a replacement that is even close to his abilities (at least not in the UFA market for this summer). If Gainey offered him 4 million for a couple of years, I don't think that it would be a bad idea. Souray is also a very important leader to the team. He sticks up for teammates when he needs to, and is very vocal (at least on the ice, I have no idea what goes on in the change room). I think it would be a big mistake to let him go.

As far as the other two UFA D's go, I think if Rivet will sign to a small contract (<2m) then he would be a good signing. Otherwise, let them both go.

If Montreal wants to be a contender then they will have to keep what they have and try to upgrade the weaknesses. I don't think that right now there are upgrades for Souray and Markov (unless Gainey makes a big trade which probably won't happen) so I beleive that Gainey will try to keep them both and not be shy about putting some $$$ up front to achieve this.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I would rather sign Ribeiro to play as a DMAN. This guy ****ing blows...Gainey will not re-sign him. You also forget that Dandenault is the 5th Dman, and Bouillon is the 6th, so you're offering a 1.4 payment for a 7th...Sounds smart.

As for Souray, he IS a 5mil dman... Look around the league. Bums such as McCabe, Kubina, Gonchar, Chara, Rafalski, Jovonovksi, K.Johnsson, Blake, Norstrom, Foote, Aucoin are all making over 4m$

Luckily, I think Souray loves it here and shall re-sign something along the lines of 4 year 16 million.

Markov, I'm not sure about...If he wants more than 5m, I say let him walk...

Souray is NOT a 5M player on D.
Blake, Foote, Chara, McCabe, Jovnovski, Foote and Gonchar have all been voted for the Norris. I think it's happened to Souray once and that was for his offensive season. Bizarro. I'd take half of any of those "bums" that you just listed over Souray. Bizarro, don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have Souray on the team....but in no Bizarro way does he warrant a lable as a 5M player.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 04:07 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
thier defence.
Where did you take this 5 M$ ? I wouln't give 3 m$ for Souray if he's not able to plays better defensively .

Rivet ? no thanks . Give Coté his spot , he's going to cost less money by far , and he has to stay with us next season , or he will have to be wave . With the extra money , give Markov what he wants around 4 m$

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage2006 View Post
Markov-12Mil/3Yr If he doesn't like it trade him for another D-Man +

Souray-7Mil/2Yr I want him back because f his shot

Rivet-3Mil/2Yr Deserves a spot because of his leadership

Niinima-No Deal because of too many giveaways and guarentees
You won't sign any of them with those kind of offers.

Markhov's salary will depend on 2 things...(1)how well he performs this season (2)when he is signed. If Markhov gets signed to an extension before the end of the season I thinks Gainey could get him at 4.5-5mill per year minimum 4yr contract. If not it could be as much as 5.5 mill/5 yr contract.(He will get it elsewhere if he wants, but he won't leave)

Souray will also get 4.5-5mill if he is not signed to an extension before he is a UFA. I don't believe he will be a Hab next year.

Rivet will get at least 2.2 mill and wil be with the team next year. Probably signs a 2-3 yr contract. You cannot expect to sign a journeyman defenceman for less then what Streit is being paid.

Niinima I don't think he will be a Hab after the trade deadline. He's unreliable with the puck and makes some bad decisions. Unless he makes a 100% improvement he will be trade bait and won't be worth much or Gainey lets him walk at season end.

My 2 cents

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Strazzobosco

I doubt we'll sign all of Rivet, Souray and Markov. We won't have enough cap space to sign our forwards! I predict we sign ONLY Markov, and replace the others with a rookie (either Emelin or Fischer).

Strazzobosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro oop007 View Post
Souray is NOT a 5M player on D.
Blake, Foote, Chara, McCabe, Jovnovski, Foote and Gonchar have all been voted for the Norris. I think it's happened to Souray once and that was for his offensive season. Bizarro. I'd take half of any of those "bums" that you just listed over Souray. Bizarro, don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have Souray on the team....but in no Bizarro way does he warrant a lable as a 5M player.
I wouldn't take any of those guys over Souray. Jovocop at the salary he's making, is a complete disapoitment. Blake is just...bleh same for Foote. Chara at 7.5 is just laughable. McCabe is NOT better than Souray, Gonchar either.

I think you underrate Souray... He's one of the main reasons our PP works, and teams have started realizing that. He's still going to be near the 20 goal mark this season and about 40-45 pts. He also brings a big physical edge, leadership and the guy is great for team chemistry. He's a 5m$ dman on the Market, like it or not, and will likely get between 4m-4.5m from us.

Old
11-08-2006, 05:52 PM
GoodKiwi

To me this team will not be the same without Craig Rivet. Out of the big three, Souray is without any doubt the most expendable to me.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
To me this team will not be the same without Craig Rivet. Out of the big three, Souray is without any doubt the most expendable to me.
How so? Rivet might have been here longer, but their's no doubt to me that Shelly is as much of a team guy as Rivet.

Old
11-08-2006, 06:00 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
How so? Rivet might have been here longer, but their's no doubt to me that Shelly is as much of a team guy as Rivet.
Craig's commitment to this team is phenomenal where as Souray only needed a few sour pickles in the locker room to start looking south. Do you see Craig's face every time he scores? I swear, it almost brings tears to my eyes, that's how much heart I see there.

I love Craig.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 06:12 PM
sheed36

I am only expecting Markov and Rivet back.If Gainey doesn't think he can resign Souray be will probably be dealt at the deadline.Would love to have Souray back but in a cap world there is usually not enough dollars to go around and tough decisions need to be made.If I had a choice between Souray or Johnson resigning I would take Johnson.Niinima....really who cares.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 06:24 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Rivet is the only one who will stay for sure according to me. I see him taking a little paycut to stay with the team. My prediction: 5M$/2years

Markov will stay on the team if he wants since he could get more elsewhere I think. IMO, he could get near 6M$ on the UFA market. However, I can't see him getting more than 4,5M$ in a mutli year deal with the habs. My prediction: 18M$/4years

Souray will likely be traded between Christmas and the deadline. I don't think he will resign with us since he will probably ask too much for what he brings. My prediction: Similar deal than Markov but elsewhere (maybe 4M$)

Finally, Niinima should retire and bring Streit with him.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
I wouldn't take any of those guys over Souray. Jovocop at the salary he's making, is a complete disapoitment. Blake is just...bleh same for Foote. Chara at 7.5 is just laughable. McCabe is NOT better than Souray, Gonchar either.

I think you underrate Souray... He's one of the main reasons our PP works, and teams have started realizing that. He's still going to be near the 20 goal mark this season and about 40-45 pts. He also brings a big physical edge, leadership and the guy is great for team chemistry. He's a 5m$ dman on the Market, like it or not, and will likely get between 4m-4.5m from us.
Never said which ones I'd Bizarro take and if it involved their current salaries....but.....excluding current contracts and if I could take any of them at 5M Bizarro dollars, I'd take Blake, Foote, Chara, Jovonovski and Aucoin (he's pretty much the same Bizarro player).

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Schooner Guy

[QUOTE=perezhogin_19;7034052]
Souray will likely be traded between Christmas and the deadline. I don't think he will resign with us since he will probably ask too much for what he brings. My prediction: Similar deal than Markov but elsewhere (maybe 4M$)
QUOTE]

As long as Habs are in the playoff picture, they will never trade Souray this year. His PP ability, toughness, and leadership are too valuable for a playoff run. In a salary cap world, you try to keep players when they're at a bargain and then let them walk once their market value becomes overpriced. It would be absolute playoff suicide to trade him. His salary space will be used to give one of our restricted FA's a raise this offseason.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 07:03 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Markov is back,
Rivet is back if the team want him,
Souray
Niinimaa, right now, who care

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote