HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Easton Mako Skates

Old
08-19-2013, 05:16 PM
ProfessorMcFatty

vCash: 500
I picked up a pair of Mako's a few weeks ago and was wondering if anyone can offer some advice or had a similar experience.

The boot fits amazing and they're the first skate I've had that doesn't leave any empty space. Unfortunately, the footbed does not match the shape of my foot at all, and it's downright painful, mostly because my foot is pushing against the arch.

I've tried some Super Feet inserts, which fixed the arch problem, but put a lot of pressure on the ball of my foot, and overall made things worse. Maybe this is because the boots are shallow and don't have a lot of room for slightly larger inserts.

Anyone have any ideas?

ProfessorMcFatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 08:51 PM
AIREAYE

If there was more pressure on the balls of your feet, you could consider re-profiling them to reduce the amount of forward pitch. Ask your local pro shop about this.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 01:01 AM
RBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMcFatty View Post
I picked up a pair of Mako's a few weeks ago and was wondering if anyone can offer some advice or had a similar experience.

The boot fits amazing and they're the first skate I've had that doesn't leave any empty space. Unfortunately, the footbed does not match the shape of my foot at all, and it's downright painful, mostly because my foot is pushing against the arch.

I've tried some Super Feet inserts, which fixed the arch problem, but put a lot of pressure on the ball of my foot, and overall made things worse. Maybe this is because the boots are shallow and don't have a lot of room for slightly larger inserts.

Anyone have any ideas?
i had the exact same issue. tried super feet and it did nothing. I finally went to a medical supply store that specializes in foot issues and they sold me a birkenstock heal pads. Since then the skates have been incredible. I have zero issues and the skates are truly amazing.

good luck

RBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 09:32 AM
ProfessorMcFatty

Makes sense about the forward pitch thing causing the pressure, but I actually like the pitch. It feels like I can accelerate a little quicker.

Maybe those heal pads, or the new CCM inserts would help. I'm not against spending money to get the problem fixed, I just don't want to spend money and they be no better off...

I actually tried skating last night with the skates a little looser, and it helped a lot. Normally I tighten my skates as tight as possible, but these skate hug my feet so well, I may not need to tighten them down as much.

ProfessorMcFatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 04:57 PM
LarryO

I remember trying Superfeet in my skates and the blue and green models in my work shoes and I ended up with the same issue of pain under the balls of my feet. No matter what size I tried, the insole's arch was too close to the heel so that created an unsupported void just behind the ball of the foot. So my foot formed like a bridge between the heel and the forefoot with no support in between where my arch needed it. When the balls of my feet would get sore, I'd compensate by leaning more on my heels but that made my heels sore. Superfeet were a no-win situation for my feet. They just don't work for some people.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 03:20 PM
hockey9896

I bought a pair of Makos and within half a season the plastic boot split down the side seam. Easton would not repair or replace them.

hockey9896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 10:27 PM
flyers10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey9896 View Post
I bought a pair of Makos and within half a season the plastic boot split down the side seam. Easton would not repair or replace them.
Can you post a pic of where it occurred?

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 08:04 PM
hockey9896

Won't show in a picture, but it is in the side seam where the two parts of the boot come together. Hit by a puck I guess.

hockey9896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 03:16 PM
krax

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey9896 View Post
Similar case here. 15y/o player.
After 4 month, one of the boots was split between the white heel and the rest of the boot. The rest of the carbon parts was starting to crack. Our shop replaced the boot without asking questions. After another 4 monts, the new boots had holes in the front part of the sole, near to where the blade holders attach. Both boots were litterally falling apart. This time the shop gave us test boots to finish the season. Promised us version II of the Mako Skates for a good price. Not sure we'll take the risk. Besides durability problems, the skates are awesome.

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2016, 03:11 PM
bjs354

Would these work for someone with a pretty extreme low arch? My brother has a pretty noticeable problem with anything other that Asics lacrosse cleats where his ankle starts pronating and then his knees hurt by the end of games. He likes the way these feel in the shop but I've been trying to tell they probably aren't the best fit for him. Am I off base with this?

bjs354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2016, 06:45 PM
nickh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjs354 View Post
Would these work for someone with a pretty extreme low arch? My brother has a pretty noticeable problem with anything other that Asics lacrosse cleats where his ankle starts pronating and then his knees hurt by the end of games. He likes the way these feel in the shop but I've been trying to tell they probably aren't the best fit for him. Am I off base with this?
I have a pair of Mako M7's, and I'm going to offer my honest opinion. They are great skates, in that they can be baked for much longer than most other models, and the result is a boot that forms a bit more closely to the foot. I have a medium arch, but wide forefoot made fitting skates a challenge. I landed on the M7's after trying on about a dozen other skates, and these were the most comfortable of the bunch before baking. After baking, they were even better.

That said, Easton has been purchased by Bauer as of last fall, so if you need to replace or repair the skates under warranty, you will either need to contact the retailer you purchased them from for assistance, or go through Bauer's warranty department. Not a big deal, but it caused some confusion when I had mine replaced when the tendon guard started shifting out of position.

Another common theme I've noticed with Mako's in general, is that most people have durability/longevity issues with them.

In short, if they are the only skates that fit your brother well before baking, he's going to love them after baking. I'm happy with the fit, they are very comfortable, but the runners keep coming loose, so I have to keep the wrenches in my gear bag so I can tighten them up before games. I'll keep these until they break or are so worn they need to be replaced, but I would probably look at other models, since it seems that the Mako line is discontinued at this point. Maybe Bauer will be incorporating some of the tech from the Mako line into their other product lines?

nickh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2016, 07:51 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh1 View Post
I have a pair of Mako M7's, and I'm going to offer my honest opinion. They are great skates, in that they can be baked for much longer than most other models, and the result is a boot that forms a bit more closely to the foot. I have a medium arch, but wide forefoot made fitting skates a challenge. I landed on the M7's after trying on about a dozen other skates, and these were the most comfortable of the bunch before baking. After baking, they were even better.

That said, Easton has been purchased by Bauer as of last fall, so if you need to replace or repair the skates under warranty, you will either need to contact the retailer you purchased them from for assistance, or go through Bauer's warranty department. Not a big deal, but it caused some confusion when I had mine replaced when the tendon guard started shifting out of position.

Another common theme I've noticed with Mako's in general, is that most people have durability/longevity issues with them.

In short, if they are the only skates that fit your brother well before baking, he's going to love them after baking. I'm happy with the fit, they are very comfortable, but the runners keep coming loose, so I have to keep the wrenches in my gear bag so I can tighten them up before games. I'll keep these until they break or are so worn they need to be replaced, but I would probably look at other models, since it seems that the Mako line is discontinued at this point. Maybe Bauer will be incorporating some of the tech from the Mako line into their other product lines?
Great post, your opinion pretty much sums up the general feedback for the Mako skates.

I really hope they incorporate the Mako stuff in some Bauer skates, but now, with VH Footwear making some inroads and Verbero beginning to put something to market in that type of skate design, I would think not.

Old
06-11-2016, 09:47 PM
nickh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Great post, your opinion pretty much sums up the general feedback for the Mako skates.

I really hope they incorporate the Mako stuff in some Bauer skates, but now, with VH Footwear making some inroads and Verbero beginning to put something to market in that type of skate design, I would think not.
I know I read a lot about Easton's acquisition of MLX, which led to the development of the Mako line as we know it, and honestly, if Bauer were to add some of the best features of the Mako skate line to one (or more) of their existing lineup, I would also be pretty interested in giving Bauer another shot.

nickh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2016, 05:30 PM
bjs354

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh1 View Post

Thanks man,

He's only ever worn vapors, and he generaly grows them every season anyway so I don't expect duabily is going to be much of an issue (5' 5" 140 lbs). The runner coming loose thing is annoying (I've had that problem with my Graf G3).

bjs354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2016, 03:47 PM
Rookie109

I have a new pair of Mako's which I got in January, been loving the performance of the skate the last few months. I have Shotblockers full XT Pro and XT which covers them almost completely since I heard there were durability issues with the skate, and I block lots of shots.

So far the skates have held up very well with the exception the rivets on one skate seem to be rusting a bit near the front. I'm not sure if that's really a warranty issue, but surprising since I wipe them after every skate, take the insole out, and hang them on a hockey tree with my gear.

Any advice what to do, or should I just expect to have to replace the rivots sooner than expected?

Last edited by Rookie109: 06-16-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Rookie109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2016, 05:34 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie109 View Post
I have a new pair of Mako's which I got in January, been loving the performance of the skate the last few months. I have Shotblockers full XT Pro and XT which covers them almost completely since I heard there were durability issues with the skate, and I block lots of shots.

So far the skates have held up very well with the exception the rivets on one skate seem to be rusting a bit near the front. I'm not sure if that's really a warranty issue, but surprising since I wipe them after every skate, take the insole out, and hang them on a hockey tree with my gear.

Any advice what to do, or should I just expect to have to replace the rivots sooner than expected?
Maybe pictures would help us gauge how severe it is...

Old
06-19-2016, 01:53 AM
Rookie109

Quote:
I have no more space to upload a pic here, maybe I'll delete old pics so I can show you the details.

Old
06-20-2016, 05:11 AM
Rookie109

Quote:
Here ya go. As you can see, there is rust on the front part and it seems like it is spilling over to the carbon fiber sole too. I think it's only on one skate, but concerning since I only got them in mid-January.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rust.JPG‎ (45.0 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Rookie109: 06-20-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old
06-21-2016, 05:23 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie109 View Post
Here ya go. As you can see, there is rust on the front part and it seems like it is spilling over to the carbon fiber sole too. I think it's only on one skate, but concerning since I only got them in mid-January.
Not an issue now, keep an eye on it of course. You take care of your gear which is great.

Old
06-23-2016, 10:32 PM
Rookie109

Quote:
Not an issue now, keep an eye on it of course. You take care of your gear which is great.
I could be an issue long-term, maybe I'll just get new rivets on the ones that are rusting.