HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we really want to make playoffs?

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2013, 06:31 PM
ManofSteel55

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz View Post
Is there any reason why we WOULDN'T want to make the playoffs? I've had enou of this damn rebuild. Last season was the year of transition between lottery picks and playoffs. It's time to start pushing for the playoffs.
Amen brother. I won't be mad if we miss the playoffs...but I'll be absolutely livid if we aren't close. There's no excuse. We had to buy the "no top end talent" crap for years. Now we have it, and if we don't push for the playoffs, it is squarely on the shoulders of Kevin Lowe for not bringing in guys (management wise) who can manage a rebuild.

Old
08-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Panda Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum17 View Post
I have seen no evidence to suggest that Smid is uncoachable. I would say he is very coachable. He has little to no offensive ability but that isn't because he's uncoachable or refuses to change the way he plays. He's a 2nd pairing defenseman who has been forced into playing on the top pair and has done a respectable job.
I agree that Smid has done a respectable job. His three biggest issues with being on the first pairing are: 1) handling the puck under pressure from great players forechecking him, which means that there is too much pressure on his partner to generate plays from the back; 2) reading the play on free-flowing breakouts; 3) stickwork against topnotch players.

The first issue is surprising given that Smid has very good technique with the puck, but he doesn't have good puck moving instincts to pair with that technique. He panics. I've always wondered if it's a confidence issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Smid is an excellent shutdown guy IMO, and would be most effective paired with J Schultz. I don't care if Smid ever scores another goal again if it allows J Schultz to play like a 4th forward.
While that might be good for Smid, that would be bad for the team.

If you pair Smid with Schultz, then you're left with Ference and Petry. As much as I like Ference's game, I wouldn't trust him to face the toughs like I would with Smid. We need a pairing that can play against the other team's first line, and splitting Smid from Petry doesn't give us a pairing that can do that. We would need to see Schultz improve dramatically on the defensive side of things in order to even consider that.

Old
08-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Manitoba Oilers*

You really like prospects don't you
I want to make the playoffs
If you want a prospect you can trade up to draft them its not that hard with the prospects we have

Old
08-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Panda Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba Oilers View Post
You really like prospects don't you
I want to make the playoffs
If you want a prospect you can trade up to draft them its not that hard with the prospects we have
Is this to anyone in particular?

Old
08-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
I agree that Smid has done a respectable job. His three biggest issues with being on the first pairing are: 1) handling the puck under pressure from great players forechecking him, which means that there is too much pressure on his partner to generate plays from the back; 2) reading the play on free-flowing breakouts; 3) stickwork against topnotch players.

The first issue is surprising given that Smid has very good technique with the puck, but he doesn't have good puck moving instincts to pair with that technique. He panics. I've always wondered if it's a confidence issue.

While that might be good for Smid, that would be bad for the team.

If you pair Smid with Schultz, then you're left with Ference and Petry. As much as I like Ference's game, I wouldn't trust him to face the toughs like I would with Smid. We need a pairing that can play against the other team's first line, and splitting Smid from Petry doesn't give us a pairing that can do that. We would need to see Schultz improve dramatically on the defensive side of things in order to even consider that.
Youre absolutely right about Smid last season but how do you explain it over the span of his entire career?

Old
08-19-2013, 09:37 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
Is this to anyone in particular?
Probably the OP.

Old
08-20-2013, 12:04 AM
Panda Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
Youre absolutely right about Smid last season but how do you explain it over the span of his entire career?
I'd explain it by saying that Smid never spent enough time working on his offensive game (he came to the NHL a season or two too early), so he never developed the ability to evade checks nor the patience to hold onto the puck long enough to spot an opportunity.

He doesn't have confidence in his offensive game because it never developed, but I still think he can improve his composure on the puck.

Old
08-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Broilers

Smid is not the reason if we fail to make play offs

I think Smid is a good number3 defense man who will be or at least will have a chance Chris Phillips category in his peak years.

We should make play offs. There are ways to sign a center regardless of cap situation.
The Oilers need another NHL centre. Plain. And. Simple.
http://oilersnation.com/2013/8/20/ne...fford-a-centre

Old
08-20-2013, 06:38 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

I'd rather not make the playoffs, so I can keep my nights free in the spring time.

Old
08-21-2013, 01:19 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
I'd rather not make the playoffs, so I can keep my nights free in the spring time.
Good thinking... the crocuses are so pretty in May.

Old
08-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Good thinking... the crocuses are so pretty in May.
I prefer TULIPs over crocuses but I prefer most of all ROSES on mid June.

Old
08-21-2013, 10:48 PM
Newfy IceCapd

vCash: 989
OT:Can someone give me there best idea what the lines will be come opening night?

IMO playoffs need to happen within the next two years, as someone said sam gagner has played 414 reg season games without seeing the playoffs. That's gotta be absolutely brutal on the guy. I think MacT did some good moves this offseason, only other thing I really wanted to see was a fully capable backup. (No LOLbarbera you don't count)

Old
08-22-2013, 03:22 AM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfy IceCapd View Post
OT:Can someone give me there best idea what the lines will be come opening night?

IMO playoffs need to happen within the next two years, as someone said sam gagner has played 414 reg season games without seeing the playoffs. That's gotta be absolutely brutal on the guy. I think MacT did some good moves this offseason, only other thing I really wanted to see was a fully capable backup. (No LOLbarbera you don't count)
It goes like this if we do not add a center

Hall Arcobello Eberle
Perron Gagner Yakopov
Smyth Boyd Hemsky
Jones Lander Joensuu

Smid Petry
Ference J. Schultz
N. Schultz Grebeshkov

DD
IR: RNH

I don't have Idea who will end up press box who will be claimed off the waivers.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:46 AM
surshot*

my prediction for opener

Perron-Gagner-Eberle
Hemsky-Hall-Yakupov
Smyth-Boyd-Jones
Joensuu-Lander-Brown
-Acton-IR Hopkins

Ferrance-JSchultz
Smid-Petry
Grebeshkov-NShultz
Klefbom-Belov

Dubnyk-Labarbra

Prediction for game 82

Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov
Perron-Gagner-Eberle
Joensuu-Boyd-Hemsky
Smyth-Lander-Brown
-Acton

Klefbom-Schultz
Ferrance-Petry
Smid-Belov
Grebeshkov-NSchultz

Dubnyk-Labarbra

No trades... No Injuries... so likely not going to happen.

Old
08-22-2013, 10:36 PM
KClovesGaming

It needs to happen this year. The kids are getting older, they have some NHL experience, but they desperately need some playoff experience. They need it now so it will help them in the future when they start hitting their prime. That way, they will truly know what it takes once they get their again.

Old
08-23-2013, 12:12 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
I fully support bringing Prospal in especially since he seems like a leader, he has experience, has won a cup and he needs a team. He would make a great option in the bottom 6 and as a fill in in the top 6 when injuries strike. We need more center depth, and a guy with the ability to play two positions up front always comes in handy.
He cant play in the middle anymore.. In fact he never could...

Old
08-23-2013, 12:14 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
It needs to happen this year. The kids are getting older, they have some NHL experience, but they desperately need some playoff experience. They need it now so it will help them in the future when they start hitting their prime. That way, they will truly know what it takes once they get their again.
Couldnt agree more. Look at Detroit and the experience their young guys received in those 14 playoff games. They'll be much better players because of it. It means a ton..

Old
09-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Broilers

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...st-flames-last

CBS sports thinks that Oilers will make play offs. But actually I wanted share my opinion about Hemsky MacT press conference. I saw some concern relating to the play off hopes

1. MacT said if we turn the corenr and if we want start winning. I would have been expected more futures than conditionals.

2. He said that if turn over happens Hemsky will have prominent role on that. Hemsky responded positively but his body language spoke something else. He did not have relax mental attitude in the Press conference

3. When MacT and Hemsky stand together in front of cameras it was very obvious that they did not have good time together no jokes, smiles atmosphere was somehow ... I don't really know... maybe it didn't match with the words

Reality has hit the road and shut up MacT's mind. Bold moves have turned to statements that moves that have never been made are best moves.

I am still confident that have shot make play offs but some concerns raised when I did not saw positive and a little bit belligerent attitude and body language

Old
09-06-2013, 10:47 AM
DousedInOil

I'm really excited to see 4 fresh face that I think will make us a better team.

1. Andrew Ference- will bring leadership and a veteran presence in our top four defencemen.

2. Oscar Klefbom- the kid could be a top pairing defenceman in a few years. He should help the powerplay and puck movement.

3. Boyd Gordon- should be able to fill Horcoffs spot and help shutdown other teams top guys.

4. David Perron- he could look sick in the top 6 this year and maybe even lead our team in scoring.

Old
09-06-2013, 11:08 AM
dem

That's a pretty uncomfortable press conference for a guy to attend..

I wouldn't read too much into his body language..

Old
09-06-2013, 11:29 AM
djdub
#6cups

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
That's a pretty uncomfortable press conference for a guy to attend..

I wouldn't read too much into his body language..
I agree.

It was very awkward, as just a few months ago, MacT said Hemsky is as good as gone. Now they have to sit in front of a camera together and say he didn't mean it. Throw in the fact that Hemmer ins't really a media personality and you get a very uncomfortable press conference.

I'm not reading into it at all.

Old
09-06-2013, 11:37 AM
thinlizzy

I think Nuge is ahead of schedule but you won't see him dress probably until at least 10 games. He is wearing the no contact jersey so Hemmy can be in the top 6 until his return. I say overall, we move up 3-4 spots in the standing but don't make the playoffs unless bold moves can swing a deal for some sandpaper.

Old
09-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...st-flames-last

CBS sports thinks that Oilers will make play offs. But actually I wanted share my opinion about Hemsky MacT press conference. I saw some concern relating to the play off hopes

1. MacT said if we turn the corenr and if we want start winning. I would have been expected more futures than conditionals.

2. He said that if turn over happens Hemsky will have prominent role on that. Hemsky responded positively but his body language spoke something else. He did not have relax mental attitude in the Press conference

3. When MacT and Hemsky stand together in front of cameras it was very obvious that they did not have good time together no jokes, smiles atmosphere was somehow ... I don't really know... maybe it didn't match with the words

Reality has hit the road and shut up MacT's mind. Bold moves have turned to statements that moves that have never been made are best moves.

I am still confident that have shot make play offs but some concerns raised when I did not saw positive and a little bit belligerent attitude and body language
This is a joke, yeah?

Old
09-06-2013, 12:29 PM
South Indian Stunna

This team just is not as good as Vancouver, LA, San Jose, or Anaheim. I doubt we have a chance of playoffs unless one of the above teams tank like crazy.

Old
09-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Indian Stunna View Post
This team just is not as good as Vancouver, LA, San Jose, or Anaheim. I doubt we have a chance of playoffs unless one of the above teams tank like crazy.
they can finish behind those teams and make the playoffs, though. With the central being a bit of a crapshoot (I have Chicago, St. Louis and Nashville as the only playoff locks), the wild card spots are up for grabs.

Closed Thread