HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Michael McCarron Thread - Part II : Bigger, Stronger and Meaner

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Estimated_Prophet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHabs24 View Post
I don't think it's some silly questions... but nobody has the nuts to answer
The fact that you tried to answer those silly questions is, well........silly.

Down the Rabbit hole we go

Old
08-17-2013, 08:42 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
The fact that you tried to answer those silly questions is, well........silly.

Down the Rabbit hole we go
My bad, was talking about my question about McCarron, not yours, even if I managed to answer them and I don't think any questions is silly...

So where do you think McCarron would've been drafted is he was 6 feet tall? Are his hands good enough to be at leats a 3rd rounder, same thing for his shot, skating?

And if you don't want to answer this, would you prefer to answer where would he be drafted is he was 6'3???

Last edited by FrontierPsyCHiatrist*: 08-17-2013 at 08:48 PM. Reason: answer**
Old
08-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
My bad, was talking about my question about McCarron, not yours, even if I managed to answer them and I don't think any questions is silly...

So where do you think McCarron would've been drafted is he was 6 feet tall? Are his hands good enough to be at leats a 3rd rounder, same thing for his shot, skating?

And if you don't want to anser this, would you prefer to answer where would he be drafted is he was 6'3???
I would prefer to answer questions based on his current and projectable size.

And yes some questions certainly can be silly. For example: If the celestial teapot ceased to orbit the sun would McCarron suddenly become a left handed shooter with a strong belief in Wiccan theology.

While this question is exceedingly silly it is still a close cousin to the questions that you would like me to answer. The two questions do share a distinct commonality between them in that both are unanswerable.

Old
08-17-2013, 09:05 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I would prefer to answer questions based on his current and projectable size.

And yes some questions certainly can be silly. For example: If the celestial teapot ceased to orbit the sun would McCarron suddenly become a left handed shooter with a strong belief in Wiccan theology.

While this question is exceedingly silly it is still a close cousin to the questions that you would like me to answer. The two questions do share a distinct commonality between them in that both are unanswerable.
I understand your points, I knew comments like that were gonna happen but still, it was kind of an interesting question

Old
08-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
I understand your points, I knew comments like that were gonna happen but still, it was kind of an interesting question
It is your right to ask any question you please. I personally, am unable to answer it but perhaps someone who finds the premise more plausible could give it a go. I will almost certainly reject any conclusion that is made but will not intervene in the discussion as I have stated my opinion on the subject.

Have at it

Old
08-20-2013, 08:00 AM
BrimStone64

When you look at the typical draft a team can generally get offense a team needs later in draft. In small players like Plekanecs, Gallaghers, types. What should be concentrated on early in draft is size skill. Much harder to find in NHL. Offense in small players is easier to find rather it be a Gallagher late in draft or sign a Briere. But try and acquire a Wayne Simmonds type? Near impossible to do. Even if McCarron ends up averages 16 goals a year, if he uses his size and toughness will bring element to Habs near impossible to acquire but necessary to winning team.

Old
08-20-2013, 08:22 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
When you look at the typical draft a team can generally get offense a team needs later in draft. In small players like Plekanecs, Gallaghers, types. What should be concentrated on early in draft is size skill. Much harder to find in NHL. Offense in small players is easier to find rather it be a Gallagher late in draft or sign a Briere. But try and acquire a Wayne Simmonds type? Near impossible to do. Even if McCarron ends up averages 16 goals a year, if he uses his size and toughness will bring element to Habs near impossible to acquire but necessary to winning team.
And yet, Simmonds was drafted as an over-ager. David Clarkson was never drafted. Ryan Clowe was drafted in the 6th round. etc.

There's also an extensive list of players drafted early because they projected as power forwards and that didn't amount to anything.

Old
08-20-2013, 08:33 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
And yet, Simmonds was drafted as an over-ager. David Clarkson was never drafted. Ryan Clowe was drafted in the 6th round. etc.

There's also an extensive list of players drafted early because they projected as power forwards and that didn't amount to anything.
Most impressively, Jamie Benn was a 5th rounder.

I kind of wonder if a lot of these guys had growth spurts at the ages of 18,19, that explained why they didn't get drafted in a more reasonable spot. It's my hypothesis that I offer up without evidence.

Old
08-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

I kind of wonder if a lot of these guys had growth spurts at the ages of 18,19, that explained why they didn't get drafted in a more reasonable spot. It's my hypothesis that I offer up without evidence.
I think you may be right with Benn but I also know that there were serious concerns with his skating. In Simmonds case, he didn't have any exposure at all until he was 19 as that was his first season in the OHL. Clarkson just wasn't very good at all and was a true late bloomer.

Old
08-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
If McCarron was 6'0 tall, around which round would he have been drafted?

EDIT: Talking about his offensive ceiling, because he was drafted for his size, right?
Probably 3rd round.

But that's like saying how good would Chara be if he was 6'1", would probably only be a #5 d-man. His size is part of what makes him potentially an "impact player". Not impact in terms of dominating games on skill, but opening up space for linemates like Lucic with Krejci and Horton.

Old
08-20-2013, 10:37 AM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

You don't grow a lot after 18, but on ice performance can improve as shown with all these players:

Simmonds does not have a Junior record before 2007.
Clarkson did not have such good stats.
Clowe exploded after being drafted. He was and still is slow. Also he was certainly lighter.

Seems more related to performance.

Old
08-22-2013, 10:43 AM
jedimyrmidon

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/ha...chael-mccarron

Eyes on the Prize Top 25 Under 25: Interesting writeup on McCarron. Seems like some of the concerns with him are the same as those circa before-the-draft (and before the Hunters really went after him). It's also pretty obvious that the guy who wrote the article did all of his research after the draft.

Old
08-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

He didn't know McCarron? Really? That hurts this guy's credibility. I'm not a guy who does a lot of research but as a Habs fan I was aware of the top 45 players who happened to have size.

Old
08-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Teufelsdreck

Some poster asked if McCarron would have been chosen if he hadn't been 6'5"? How far down must we take this moot question? How short would Zdeno Chara have been for scouts to judge him too small to play in the NHL? Size is an asset in hockey, so let's not act like those who argued about how many angels could dance on the head of a pin.

Old
08-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
You don't grow a lot after 18, but on ice performance can improve as shown with all these players:

Simmonds does not have a Junior record before 2007.
Clarkson did not have such good stats.
Clowe exploded after being drafted. He was and still is slow. Also he was certainly lighter.

Seems more related to performance.
I grew 2 inches between 18 and 21 and it's not that uncommon.

Old
08-22-2013, 03:57 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/ha...chael-mccarron

Eyes on the Prize Top 25 Under 25: Interesting writeup on McCarron. Seems like some of the concerns with him are the same as those circa before-the-draft (and before the Hunters really went after him). It's also pretty obvious that the guy who wrote the article did all of his research after the draft.
The article voices concern on how Dale will use him. IT WONT BE AS A GOON, enough already . Mark didnt pay the price he did to have a meathead playing 4th line minutes. He was after him as soon as his draft ended and Belleville scooped him up before the Knights could take a gamble.
The Knights havent been a big bad beat em up team for years. If anything they slide the other way.
Fighting in the league is down. Suspensions begin and are lenghtened for every scrap after 10.
Hell be expected to develop, work on his game, pay attention to detail, learn the pro game ect... Hes in good hands and will get good coaching. Its up to him now to want it, take adv of his opportunity in London and go get it.

Last edited by aresknights: 08-22-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old
08-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
You don't grow a lot after 18
Eller grew 3 inches after being drafted.

Old
08-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Some poster asked if McCarron would have been chosen if he hadn't been 6'5"? How far down must we take this moot question? How short would Zdeno Chara have been for scouts to judge him too small to play in the NHL? Size is an asset in hockey, so let's not act like those who argued about how many angels could dance on the head of a pin.
Question like that never makes sense. Where would Gallagher have been picked if he would have been 6'3''? Where would Price had been picked if he would have been 5'8''...Never makes any sense to ask such a question. 'Cause if McCarron is 6'0'', he might be quicker, he's not a powerforward, becomes a skilled player etc...Size is the player.

Old
08-23-2013, 04:11 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Question like that never makes sense. Where would Gallagher have been picked if he would have been 6'3''? Where would Price had been picked if he would have been 5'8''...Never makes any sense to ask such a question. 'Cause if McCarron is 6'0'', he might be quicker, he's not a powerforward, becomes a skilled player etc...Size is the player.
As I recall, Jean Béliveau was the tallest Hab in his playing days. He was also the best. He was a smooth skater but by no means the fastest. He wasn't the best shooter. The Rocket was. He was a good defensive player but not the best. The Habs sure could use his clone.

My post doesn't answer anyone's questions but I think it raises some interesting points that are tangential to the discussion of McCarron.

Old
08-23-2013, 05:31 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
As I recall, Jean Béliveau was the tallest Hab in his playing days. He was also the best. He was a smooth skater but by no means the fastest. He wasn't the best shooter. The Rocket was. He was a good defensive player but not the best. The Habs sure could use his clone.

My post doesn't answer anyone's questions but I think it raises some interesting points that are tangential to the discussion of McCarron.
Teufelsdreck, my post wasn't about your "question" but I was totally agreeing with you. Totally talking about the question you were referring to. Sorry, wasn't clear enough. Would NEVER say that your post makes no sense....don't have the credentials enough....

Old
08-25-2013, 03:48 AM
S Bah

I see that the London Knights 1st round pick in the OHL draft has signed up with them.

Mitch Marner C joins Mike MCCarron RW as a rookie in their lineup, now if Mark Hunter could only make a trade for Plymouth Whaler LW Matt Mistele probable 2014 NHL 1st rounder. The Knights could then have a really good line and all three players with their initials M.M. Which should automatically give the line the name of the M&M's, the media would be all over that name, eating it up like M&M's.

Old
08-25-2013, 10:24 AM
aresknights

Gotta be an OHL follower to put that all together.
Nicely done

Can't wait to see the big guy play this year.
Camp scrimmages Wed/Thurs. Exxy games start Friday. Then Habs camp. Then the reg season here in London.

Old
08-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I see that the London Knights 1st round pick in the OHL draft has signed up with them.

Mitch Marner C joins Mike MCCarron RW as a rookie in their lineup, now if Mark Hunter could only make a trade for Plymouth Whaler LW Matt Mistele probable 2014 NHL 1st rounder. The Knights could then have a really good line and all three players with their initials M.M. Which should automatically give the line the name of the M&M's, the media would be all over that name, eating it up like M&M's.
How can McCarron can be compared with M&m's? He must have two huge peanuts inside that chocolate exterior...

Old
08-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Teufelsdreck, my post wasn't about your "question" but I was totally agreeing with you. Totally talking about the question you were referring to. Sorry, wasn't clear enough. Would NEVER say that your post makes no sense....don't have the credentials enough....
Whitesnake, you don't have to be sorry. I wasn't referring to you but to a multitude of others. You always make good sense and you contribute very much to this forum--more than I do, I must confess. All I can hope for is that you take me seriously.

Old
08-25-2013, 06:37 PM
samsquanch9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post

Marner is amazing. At the ontario U17 camp i went to he was IMO the best player there. Including konecny

Closed Thread