HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are NHL players using PEDs? Jonathan Toews says naive to say no

Old
08-20-2013, 12:20 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
The recovery part would help a lot.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 12:22 PM
thom

vCash: 500
Kids Don Cherry admitted that he took uppers a few times.He admitted in hnic.This is nothing new.The germans in the the 1970:s were taking performance drugs.Every dacade the drugs improve and the ability to hide the drugs improve.Nothing will ever change

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 12:39 PM
digdug41982

Yeah, I read a Sports Illustrated article about players taking Sudafed as a stimulant about 12-15 years ago.

Old
08-20-2013, 12:53 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Would PED's even help a hockey player? Might help him shoot the puck harder......that's all I can think of.
Of course it would, just like it helps all athletes

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Of course it would, just like it helps all athletes
With what though? It wouldn't help skating, it wouldn't help how good your hands are, it wouldn't help you make quicker decisions....all that I can think of is that it makes you stronger when hitting people and you may be able to shoot the puck harder.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
With what though? It wouldn't help skating, it wouldn't help how good your hands are, it wouldn't help you make quicker decisions....all that I can think of is that it makes you stronger when hitting people and you may be able to shoot the puck harder.
Why do you think players work out? Why do sprinters take steroids? Why do cyclists?

Old
08-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Why do you think players work out? Why do sprinters take steroids? Why do cyclists?
So players would be faster? Doubtful

Stalberg doesn't have the strongest legs in the NHL, but he's one of the fastest. So if a player is taking them to become a faster skater he's probably not going to succeed very much.

It still won't help them with their hands, their brain, or anything else outside of shooting and hitting.

Old
08-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:

Stalberg doesn't have the strongest legs in the NHL, but he's one of the fastest. So if a player is taking them to become a faster skater he's probably not going to succeed very much.

It still won't help them with their hands, their brain, or anything else outside of shooting and hitting.
You're right. Hockey is the one sport in the entire world where performance enhancing drugs do not help.

Old
08-20-2013, 02:32 PM
digdug41982

It would help anyone, some sports more than others though:

Football

Baseball

Hockey

Basketball

IMO

Old
08-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Kurtosis
COYS

Quote:

Are you purposely skipping the part where people have said it would help with recovery?

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 05:37 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeticDonut View Post
So others should risk their lives for your entertainment? Ok, champ.
Risk their lives from taking PEDs? In a game like hockey I'd say that's the least of their worries.

MadhouseOnMadison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
You're right. Hockey is the one sport in the entire world where performance enhancing drugs do not help.
I worded what I said wrong, I should of said would it help that much? Hockey is much ore a finesse game than all the other sports, except maybe basketball. Taking PEDs when you aren't a great hockey player isn't going to make you that much better as a player. Obviously it would help the already talented hockey players out a little, but I don't think it's significant at all. Not like baseball, or football..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
Are you purposely skipping the part where people have said it would help with recovery?
Yes, because that has nothing to do with his performance. I'm talking about play on the ice, sklls wise.

Old
08-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
I worded what I said wrong, I should of said would it help that much? Hockey is much ore a finesse game than all the other sports, except maybe basketball. Taking PEDs when you aren't a great hockey player isn't going to make you that much better as a player. Obviously it would help the already talented hockey players out a little, but I don't think it's significant at all. Not like baseball, or football..

Yes, because that has nothing to do with his performance. I'm talking about play on the ice, sklls wise.
It won't help with skills no PED makes you better at your sport, but it helps with recovery, muscle build, being able to work out longer then others, fast twitch muscles. If your job is using your body then something that makes your body, stronger, faster, and can heal quicker will help any and all athletes.

Taking PEDs won't change anyone. It's such a bad misconception people have. If Joe Blow off the streets roided up he would hit .400 with 67 HR and 159 RBI in baseball. NO PEDs don't give you more skill in your sport, it's why someone like Bonds could hit 73 HR while plenty of other PED users couldn't get over 30. It will enhance what is already there but it won't give you something you never had.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Illinihockey

Exactly Psycho T

Old
08-21-2013, 01:40 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post
Risk their lives from taking PEDs? In a game like hockey I'd say that's the least of their worries.
Sure, so why risk even more by taking PEDs? The comment to expect them all to be juiced up because you paid top dollar is what annoyed me. It's self-centered and de-humanizing to the athlete.

The idea that hockey is somehow more "clean" than other pro sports is, like Toews said, naive. How prevalent it's is hard to gauge since the NHL doping screening is an absolute joke and basically a silent acceptance to the use of PED's. Another thing is the use of strong prescription pain meds that get people in all sorts of trouble and in some cases very tragically. That along with the less than stellar screening of concussions and measures to prevent them makes the NHL have a dark blemish on it.

Granted, the choice of using PED's is always up to the athlete (although it's possible that some of them have been given to them without their knowledge, which is even worse). However it's worth looking at the big picture and the environment that this phenomenon exists in. The pro sports business is so cutthroat and ruthless that I am sure many feel it necessary to use every method available to them to stay ahead of the game and make sure they can get the most out of a very short career. The use of PED's are merely a symptom of this.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 07:40 AM
digdug41982

Well, HGH does improve vision, so I wouldn't say it is just the body that gets help. I think this is a key factor for the baseball hitters too.

Old
08-21-2013, 02:24 PM
hawksfan50

Well certainly the Hawks were not on PED's in winning the Cup..However they all were on PES regimens...supplied by Bickell..now if they were to ban Sushi...then the Hawks would be in real trouble...come to think of it Sushi must be drug-like in its PE effect..how else to explain how Bickell suddenly emerged as the new dominant PF in the game after he went on the Sushi diet before playoff ges and dragged many of his team-mates into the same substance consumption ritual prior to games? Clearly Sushi enhances performance and soeother must be banned by the nhl OR all teams required to also eat Sushi before games to make it a fair play system...

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 07:12 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Well, HGH does improve vision, so I wouldn't say it is just the body that gets help. I think this is a key factor for the baseball hitters too.
There is no prospective, randomized, double-blind, clinical trial that I know of that shows a positive effect of HGH on eyesight. Anecdotal "evidence" makes claims of improved eyesight in athletes using HGH, and there is some indication that it might help elderly patients with macular degeneration. However, there is no statistically significant study showing visual benefits of HGH over a long term and large clinical trial.

Last edited by pvr: 08-22-2013 at 04:13 AM.
pvr is offline   Reply With Quote