HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking to the future

Old
08-18-2013, 02:47 AM
PredsHabs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Looking to the future

The Nashville Predators have gotten stronger depth wise over the past six months or so and I am wondering about the future of the Nashville Predators.
Looking at our current roster that will probably start this year.
24 man roster
Legwand
Hornqvist
Fisher
Cullen
Gaustad
Stalberg
Nystrom
Wilson
Smith
Hendricks
Spaling
Beck
Bourque
Clune
Forsberg

Weber
Josin
Jones
Klein
Ellis
Ekholm
Bartley

Rinne
Hutton

We have $2,661,191 in Cap space left.
The following list is the years players will be UFA or RFA.
UFA RFA
2014 Legwand, Hutton Spaling,Beck,Ellis,Ekholm
2015 Fisher,Cullen Wilson,Smith,Bourque,Watson,Hellberg
2016 Gaustad,Clune,Bartley Forsberg,Jones
2017 Stalberg,Nystrom,Hendricks
2018 Hornqvist,Klein
2019 Rinne
2020 Josi
2026 Weber

I see our team looking something like this in a few years
Wilson- -Forsberg
Bourque/Aberg-Watson-Hornqvist
Stalberg-Fisher-Legwand
Clune-

Weber-Josi
Jones-Ekholm
Klein-

Rinne
Hutton/Hellberg

With Players like Aberg,Sissons,Leipsic,Salomaki in the system our forwards will only get better as the years go bye.

What will we do about the huge whole at the #1 center position. Will it take a trade or will we hope to draft one or will the right free agent finally come to Nashville again like Kariya(I know he is not a center before anyone says it) did?

Are we willing to spend 20+ Million on our top four on Defense if everything goes as planned with Jones and Ekholm?

Do we have Rinnes replacement in the system now?

What year in Free agency Scares you the most?

Final question has nothing to do with the topic but I found it interesting watching the Lindros story on the NHL network that no big free agents ever wanted to go to Quebec, does this scare you as a current Preds fans seeing how it seems each time we get out-done by the bigger cities teams on free agents?

PredsHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 06:28 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Im sure you realize it but we only get to carry 23 players so one of those forwards(probably Spaling) will be gone before camp.

As promising as our forward prospects look, beyond Beck and Watson, everyone else is still an unknown... none of Aberg, Lepsic, Sissons, or Salomaki is a sure fire NHL player at this point

As for defense, we will pay Jones at least through his RFA period so he's ours for 7 years. after that, there is no way of knowing

I dont think Ekholm will be a high dollar defenseman... I think if he is so good he would command 4-5 million we would probably let him go like we did Hamhuis and keep Weber Klein Josi and Jones

As for #1 C we will either draft one ourselves or else find a free agent like Arnott who is stuck behind a superstar somewhere and would come here to be a #1.

the free agent situation will change dramatically if we can put a good season or two together... they will come here of it looks like we are Cup contenders.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 03:12 PM
weeze

It sure would be nice if we could get a guy like Stastny from Colorado. Could step in as our #1 C. Colorado is a little C heavy at the moment.

weeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 03:41 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I still think Wilson will be a center and hold out hope still for Smith. It's funny how the crowd has turned on Smith. If he adds strength he's a player.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
It sure would be nice if we could get a guy like Stastny from Colorado. Could step in as our #1 C. Colorado is a little C heavy at the moment.
I would love to trade for Stastny but from what I have heard they are trying to sign him to an extension. They are heavy at center but they plan to move O'reilly to wing so that frees up a spot.

We can dream though. He would fit in perfectly with the Preds system as well as he plays a strong all around game. He would be our best forward instantly.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Byrddog

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I still think Wilson will be a center and hold out hope still for Smith. It's funny how the crowd has turned on Smith. If he adds strength he's a player.
Other than a short stint Smith has not shown nothing to indicate he is a serviceable NHL player. In fact he has taken a downward spiral. With increased ice time last season he was outperformed badly. Spaling was better even SK. As a young defenseman Josi had more goals and assists. Rich Clune had the same number of goals and 3 less a total points. Hali had one more goal than Smith and 1 less point. If anyone thinks that Smith will get a bigger role under this system now your going to be disappointed. The lone bright spot Smith had was in the shootout, but as a one trick pony its hard to imagine he is retained. I feel sure that DP has shopped him and has had no takers, he would unload him for a pick most likely at this point. The one way 2 mil contract has bit the front office in the butt. Everyone thinks Spaling will the be the one left out but in my thinking its going to be Smith. Spaling will have a spot otherwise they would not have signed him.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
I would love to trade for Stastny but from what I have heard they are trying to sign him to an extension. They are heavy at center but they plan to move O'reilly to wing so that frees up a spot.

We can dream though. He would fit in perfectly with the Preds system as well as he plays a strong all around game. He would be our best forward instantly.
ROR is a natural center, and I think his move to wing is a temporary thing until they can trade him, 1 year after they matched his OS. If I had to guess, he is the odd man out, not Stastny, but who knows? Either one would be great.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote