HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Dandeneault back next week

Old
11-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Jyroe Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Janne has been our worst Dman BY FAR. I'll be quite ticked off if he gets the nod instead of Streit.
STREIT is frickin useless, way worse than Janne, at least Janne tries in the d zone.
STREIT reminds me of briesbois in our zone.

Jyroe Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyroe Habs Fan View Post
STREIT is frickin useless, way worse than Janne, at least Janne tries in the d zone.
STREIT reminds me of briesbois in our zone.
Streit is +1, and has the best giveaway/takeaway ratio on the back end. He also has 4 pts in 10 games... Janne is a -4 and has been UTERLY useless in the defensive AND offensive zone. He also has one of the most Giveaways on the team with hardly any takeaways. The guy is horrid.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 04:13 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Streit is +1, and has the best giveaway/takeaway ratio on the back end. He also has 4 pts in 10 games... Janne is a -4 and has been UTERLY useless in the defensive AND offensive zone. He also has one of the most Giveaways on the team with hardly any takeaways. The guy is horrid.
I think Streit will always get an undeserved bad rap here.

And I still think the Niminaa pick up was a good depth move. Even though we have rights to wonder why he's making $2.5M, at most he's a one year rental and has plugged the injury gap. I think if Cote had been available and been inserted instead since the season start, there'd be a little more teeth gnashing happening around right about now. Mainly because our top three or four guys would have been getting that much more work and exposure, with the inevitable breakdowns. At least Carbo has been able to spread the ice time out and that means a lot now and will mean a lot more as the season progresses.

If I had to guess, I bet we'll see a lot of rotation once all the D are healthy.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 04:29 PM
madbox

Can't wait for Dandy to get back in the lineup, too much Niinimaa. I wouldn't mind dressing 7 D sometimes though, Niinimaa's ok in small portions.

Rivet was saying last night how the guys are battling, out and injured or still playing and injured. HMM!

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 04:35 PM
e-e

great news indeed....

e-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I'm always reticent when it comes to Streit because he still has problems containing NHL forwards and not just big ones. That said, his offense has been a welcomed addition and he's showing some good skills with the puck. I personally don't care wether Niinimaa or Streit plays, I think Dandenault's return has more impact then that decision.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
I'm always reticent when it comes to Streit because he still has problems containing NHL forwards and not just big ones. That said, his offense has been a welcomed addition and he's showing some good skills with the puck. I personally don't care wether Niinimaa or Streit plays, I think Dandenault's return has more impact then that decision.
Dandy is miles ahead of both of these duds on defense. Janne is an absolute waste of space. He's a defensive liability every time he touches the puck. Mark is alittle better then Janne is but that's not saying very much. The problem with both these guys is you don't know when they might screw up...you just know it's going to happen sooner or later. Mark cost us a goal last night when he lost the puck on a breakout attempt. Habs can't afford unforced errors like that.

Niinima =
Streit =

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
I disagree about Janne been worse than Streit BY FAR...

That's certainly not true the last few games and the +1 vs -4 is pointless since Streit is playing with Janne right now.

I definitely agree if you are going to say Janne had some horrible games 2 weeks ago. But the last few games?? Nah, he wasnt noticeable which mean he was doing his job.

And isnt he playing the left side? Dandenault will take his right side spot. No?

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 08:59 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Dandy is miles ahead of both of these duds on defense. Janne is an absolute waste of space. He's a defensive liability every time he touches the puck. Mark is alittle better then Janne is but that's not saying very much. The problem with both these guys is you don't know when they might screw up...you just know it's going to happen sooner or later. Mark cost us a goal last night when he lost the puck on a breakout attempt. Habs can't afford unforced errors like that.

Niinima =
Streit =
True, difference so far is Streit contribute a little (pass to Rivet) offensively wich is not the case for Niinimaa.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 09:34 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
Streit deserve some games in the stands just for the goal he allowed last night. Losing the puck in the neutral zone, ok, but geez, ive seen pee-wee players cover their guy better on a 2 on 2. The guy was skating backward with Winchester BEHIND him, the whole time I was like, turn around.. turn around.. too late.
I did see that...he cost us the 1st goal vs the Oilers (absolutely terrible ). Not only did he lose it so casually, but he was too casual when skating backwards (so he made 2 mistakes on that terrible play).
Okay, okay! Here we go Hab fans!! The Niinimaa vs Streit Jamboree has begun!!

I'll want Niinimaa and Dandy together again (but that's just me).
Maybe CArbo will go back to this pairing, as well.

Anyways...great news about Dandy!!

Souray-Rivet
Markov-Komisarek
Niinimaa-Dandy
#7 J-P Cote
Bouillon (injured)
#9 Streit

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun View Post
I disagree about Janne been worse than Streit BY FAR...

That's certainly not true the last few games and the +1 vs -4 is pointless since Streit is playing with Janne right now.

I definitely agree if you are going to say Janne had some horrible games 2 weeks ago. But the last few games?? Nah, he wasnt noticeable which mean he was doing his job.

And isnt he playing the left side? Dandenault will take his right side spot. No?
How is it pointless if both of them are playing together? That means that Niinimaa has been on the ice for more goals against than goals for...Not Streit. I'll have you note that Niinimaa was an even +/- five games ago. Streit has only been on the ice for 4 ES goals against this season, Niinimaa has been on for 9 ES goals against.

Old
11-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
i concur...

Yes i'll agree that streit has looked bad on several occasions...BUT BUT only when playing with Janne...

Remember Markov didnt look as good with brisebois did he...

Streit has looked Very good IMO when not playing with Janne...is better offensively and smarter on ice...has a killer shot...but when you have to play with someone like Janne who always makes mistakes you have to watch out and try to fix his mistakes leading to you making mistakes...

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
i concur...

Yes i'll agree that streit has looked bad on several occasions...BUT BUT only when playing with Janne...

Remember Markov didnt look as good with brisebois did he...

Streit has looked Very good IMO when not playing with Janne...is better offensively and smarter on ice...has a killer shot...but when you have to play with someone like Janne who always makes mistakes you have to watch out and try to fix his mistakes leading to you making mistakes...
When Dandenault was with Janne, it was clear that he had to cover for Janne's mistakes... If Niinimaa is still on the top 6 when Dandenault comes back, it'll be because Carbo doesn't want to make Gainey look bad...and only for that reason.

Old
11-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
When Dandenault was with Janne, it was clear that he had to cover for Janne's mistakes... If Niinimaa is still on the top 6 when Dandenault comes back, it'll be because Carbo doesn't want to make Gainey look bad...and only for that reason.
Carbo is paid to win, not to pat Gainey on the back. If Niinimaa is still on the roster, it'll be because of his hard work.

Old
11-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Carbo is paid to win, not to pat Gainey on the back. If Niinimaa is still on the roster, it'll be because of his hard work.
So what you're saying is that Niinimaa won't be on the roster?

Old
11-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
So what you're saying is that Niinimaa won't be on the roster?

Old
11-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
I'm still not sure you're right though... Last season Julien continually started Theodore...and when he finally got tired of it and decided to play Huet, he was fired (though that's not the reason he was fired for)... What does Gainey do the first game he becomes coach? Starts Theodore. He kept him as our number 1 for a few games till he realized how bad he was and started Huet.

Carbo has a better relationship with Gainey though, so I hope he won't just try to make him look good by keeping Niinimaa in the top 6 as Julien did with Theo for so long last season.

Old
11-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
I'm still not sure you're right though... Last season Julien continually started Theodore...and when he finally got tired of it and decided to play Huet, he was fired (though that's not the reason he was fired for)... What does Gainey do the first game he becomes coach? Starts Theodore. He kept him as our number 1 for a few games till he realized how bad he was and started Huet.

Carbo has a better relationship with Gainey though, so I hope he won't just try to make him look good by keeping Niinimaa in the top 6 as Julien did with Theo for so long last season.
Well, this is speculation on my part, but Carbo is Gainey's man and I personally haven't seen enough good things from Streit to say that he's a clear cut better player then Niinimaa. They both have some major holes to their games, Striet can't contain forwards along the boards and Niinimaa has a knack at making dangerous plays. I was serious though, when I talked about Niinimaa's work ethic, he might not be a skilled player, but he doesn't give up neither along the boards or on plays. That's a good quality to have. He gets a bad reputation from making turnovers, but he does an adequate job as a 6th defencemen. So does Streit mind you.

That said, Bouillon and Dandenault will make the defence significantly better.

Old
11-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Well, this is speculation on my part, but Carbo is Gainey's man and I personally haven't seen enough good things from Streit to say that he's a clear cut better player then Niinimaa. They both have some major holes to their games, Striet can't contain forwards along the boards and Niinimaa has a knack at making dangerous plays. I was serious though, when I talked about Niinimaa's work ethic, he might not be a skilled player, but he doesn't give up neither along the boards or on plays. That's a good quality to have. He gets a bad reputation from making turnovers, but he does an adequate job as a 6th defencemen. So does Streit mind you.

That said, Bouillon and Dandenault will make the defence significantly better.
Basicaly, Streit knows what to do with the puck and Niinimaa doesn't. I wouldn't be surprised to see Streit on the 4th line as neither Downey or Murray have done a perticularly good job this season.

Old
11-08-2006, 11:52 PM
Mr. Hab

I can't wait till (both) Dandy AND Bouillon are back...(Dandy's back soon).

By the way...when is Bouillon back? (December?)

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 11:55 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
The long and short of it is that Niinimaa is paid far too much money to sit in the press box - he's going to play and Streit's going to sit when Dandy comes back, regardless of who plays better.

And I'll eat my hat if I'm wrong

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 12:05 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
The long and short of it is that Niinimaa is paid far too much money to sit in the press box - he's going to play and Streit's going to sit when Dandy comes back, regardless of who plays better.

And I'll eat my hat if I'm wrong
Nah. You do what's best for the team. If we would've kept that philosophy last season and continually started Theodore, I'd probably have shot myself sometime between february and march.

Old
11-09-2006, 05:37 AM
Sthabs

they should each get benched a game or 2 until one proove to be the more valuable

look at what it s done to Murray, he was on fire last night

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 06:20 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Dandenault has actually become one of our best defencemen, so I'm glad to see him back, it will really make it easier to watch the games.

Streit and Niniimaa are good when they are paired with good defencemen. When they are paired together, it's disastrous.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 07:12 AM
David_99

I don't think Gainey would look foolish if Janne sat in the press box. He only picked him up for depth purposes because of our injuries. If Dandy and Cube came back tomorrow you better believe he'd be a 2.5million dollar guy sitting in the press box. The fact is these will probably not be our only injuries on the back end this year. I'd much rather have Janne waiting in the pressbox and available then bringing up Traverse.

The common sense result of Dandy coming back is that they will rotate Mark and Janne like the goalies, whenever their individual talents (Janne has talents?) are needed or until one proves he is superior.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote