HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2013, 03:27 PM
ss53mech

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
thats awesome man

a big hesitation for me to start was gear price, not everyone is willing to make that jump. you may have just created a bunch of new players
Yeah, we went to play again today and of course beautiful coastal NC saw that and immediately started to rain. Well were amphibious by nature so we just *** played through it. Some how one them managed to lose a helmet. I mean seriously how do you lose a helmet in a 1000ft walk to the rink? Oh well, guess we can only suit up 7 now until I get a replacement.

Old
08-20-2013, 09:46 PM
stocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss53mech View Post
Yeah, we went to play again today and of course beautiful coastal NC saw that and immediately started to rain. Well were amphibious by nature so we just *** played through it. Some how one them managed to lose a helmet. I mean seriously how do you lose a helmet in a 1000ft walk to the rink? Oh well, guess we can only suit up 7 now until I get a replacement.
Funny you say that. Today, someone found a Bauer 4500 helmet at my barracks and since she knew I play hockey, she gave it to me. It fits!

Old
08-21-2013, 08:47 PM
ss53mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocky View Post
Funny you say that. Today, someone found a Bauer 4500 helmet at my barracks and since she knew I play hockey, she gave it to me. It fits!

The hockey gods giveth and the hockey gods taketh away!

Old
08-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Taking a leave on Friday this week, so I'll be playing on Thursday night.

Will be my second time in the last 11 months on ice. Should be brutal, but not as brutal as last time, hopefully.

Old
08-22-2013, 11:53 PM
Ozz

After being down 0-3, I led the charge with 4 goals and my team turned on the jets to win it 9-5. It got to 5-5 at one point but we exploded at the end.

Old
08-24-2013, 04:53 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

The shinnies in Taipei is half drill and half scrimmage. I hate this format because I just want to dick around and drink beer. But this is definitely making me a better hockey player. Ugh.

Old
08-26-2013, 02:50 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

On Saturday night my team won our league championship on a penalty shot with 15 seconds left in overtime. I had primary assists on both our regulation goals. Great night for us!

Old
08-26-2013, 03:19 PM
TLow97

Playing Summer League championship tonight vs a team who is moving up to our division in the Winter. Really excited for it!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And we won. :-) Feels pretty good, especially after playing on a team this past winter that finished dead last!

Last edited by TLow97: 08-27-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old
08-28-2013, 07:38 AM
Frankie Spankie

I've been a part of this Wednesday morning league for probably like 7 years now. For the first time, I played for a different team, against my old team. It wasn't permanent, but when your team has 7 on the bench and the other team has 3, you switch.

Was a lot of good fun too, some teammates playing me extra hard, chirping me, playing extra physical against me (not in a way that would hurt me but just to mess with me.) I got tripped up going for a puck along the boards in the neutral zone and slid to the faceoff circle close to the blue line. As I was getting up, a teammate of mine, that I was playing against, came in and knocked me back down. It was definitely fun to play against them for once and puts the league into different light.

I did talk to the guy who runs the league last week about maybe blowing up the league because as long as I've been there, the core of each team has stayed the same. I've always played against those guys and never really got to know any of them. It's definitely fun to play against the guys you know. I really wish they'd blow the league up so you can get to know everybody better because my other league does that once a year. You get a chance to play with everybody and as a result, get to become friends with everybody in the league. Everyone skates harder but cleaner throughout the entire league there. It's just a lot more fun overall because it's never "I hate losing to THOSE guys," it's "Oh hey, great game <name>, you were on fire." It's still as competitive as my Wednesday morning league but just a lot more friendlier.

Old
08-30-2013, 09:43 PM
sxHarr05

There was alot of hockey going on today. Stopped and had my blades "massaged", going from 100/50 to 90/75 as I felt my weight (225#) was giving too much bite. Also had them pitched forward a tad. Picked up another GRAF G5 composite. I know they're not popular but IDGARA. I've used them for a few months now and really like them. Then a buddy and I took our sons to "Rink Rats", which is basically stick and puck for kids. They're both beginners so we put them through some light drills before their clinic starts next week. We'd give instruction then go work on drills ourselves while they worked. We're both primarily D but I always end up pinching or playing forward so we did alot of transition, give and go, point-to-point, stuff like that. Then we did 1-on-1's, where I had to keep reminding myself to play the puck, not the body. After he made me look like a fool a few times I started returning the favor. It was great time and the kids really enjoyed themselves. And so did our sons.

Old
08-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
I've been a part of this Wednesday morning league for probably like 7 years now. For the first time, I played for a different team, against my old team. It wasn't permanent, but when your team has 7 on the bench and the other team has 3, you switch.

Was a lot of good fun too, some teammates playing me extra hard, chirping me, playing extra physical against me (not in a way that would hurt me but just to mess with me.) I got tripped up going for a puck along the boards in the neutral zone and slid to the faceoff circle close to the blue line. As I was getting up, a teammate of mine, that I was playing against, came in and knocked me back down. It was definitely fun to play against them for once and puts the league into different light.

I did talk to the guy who runs the league last week about maybe blowing up the league because as long as I've been there, the core of each team has stayed the same. I've always played against those guys and never really got to know any of them. It's definitely fun to play against the guys you know. I really wish they'd blow the league up so you can get to know everybody better because my other league does that once a year. You get a chance to play with everybody and as a result, get to become friends with everybody in the league. Everyone skates harder but cleaner throughout the entire league there. It's just a lot more fun overall because it's never "I hate losing to THOSE guys," it's "Oh hey, great game <name>, you were on fire." It's still as competitive as my Wednesday morning league but just a lot more friendlier.
I like leagues like that. Where it's a gentleman's greet and end game and it isn't sulking but more of that shake hands and respect the guys on the other team.

Old
08-31-2013, 07:18 PM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

Practiced at the roller rink this morning and after an hour my gear was absolutely soaking. It's humid in SoCal right now...

Old
08-31-2013, 08:06 PM
Terry Yake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshotte View Post
Practiced at the roller rink this morning and after an hour my gear was absolutely soaking. It's humid in SoCal right now...
wow man i give you mad props for even thinking about playing roller in this horrendous weather, let alone actually playing.

i played pick up yesterday and i was already sweating a lot before i even got dressed

Old
09-01-2013, 04:19 PM
sxHarr05

Today I submitted my paperwork and payment for Men's C Rec. For the first time in 17 years I'm playing in a league! Woot! Evals and "draft" next Sunday.

Old
09-02-2013, 12:40 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Saw a guy snap his blade in half on a shift and the back half fall out. This happened at center near his bench, but instead of going there, he continued up the ice with half a blade and tried another toe drag. Then he lost the puck and started whining to the ref about blowing the whistle cause his skate was busted. It... devolved from there.

I've seen blades fall out of runners, and I've seen a blade snap but both halves stay in, but I've never seen just half the blade fall out before.

Old
09-02-2013, 08:08 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post
wow man i give you mad props for even thinking about playing roller in this horrendous weather, let alone actually playing.

i played pick up yesterday and i was already sweating a lot before i even got dressed
My guys and I play inline year-round, sometimes 2-3 leagues at a time even in summer. It's just so easily accessible, affordable, and quick to do so we keep on with it. As you said, we're often sweating before we even suit up and it reaches 100 degrees in there sometimes.

The funniest thing though is when we do hit actual ice and hear others complain that it's nearly 70 degrees in the arena. It could be 80 on the ice and we inline nuts would be perfectly fine aside from (likely) awful ice

Old
09-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

I love inline hockey. When my friends and I play pick up, I'll play any position: forward, defense or goalie.

I'm best at forward, but playing goalie is just flat out fun. The pressure of letting in a goal weighs more than making a mistake as a forward, but making a huge save is a great feeling.

Last Tuesday we had a small pick up game and I was told I'm playing goalie. I wasn't in the mood, but I went full Hasek mode on the other team. Made a save with the glove behind my back.

Its a great workout too. Sweat like hell and enjoy the game? Sign me up.

Old
09-02-2013, 06:58 PM
SpringfieldSkins

My favorite part of yesterday's game was not the assist I got but rather the penalty that I drew.

We had three consecutive face offs in the offensive zone. Each time the opposing center would give me a shove after making a lame attempt at winning the face off. The third time, I looked him square in the eyes, lined up opposite him and then gave him a nice shove after the puck was dropped. He won the face off and as I skated past him he gave me a nice chop with his stick. Up went the refs hand and to the penalty box he went.

I had a good laugh at that one.

Last edited by SpringfieldSkins: 09-02-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old
09-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

My shot accuracy is improving.

Old
09-03-2013, 01:13 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:

Haha WHAT?! Horrendous weather?! I've been living in LA for a month now (coming from NY) and let me tell you boys... you know nothing about horrendous weather. It's funny to see someone use the word "humid" seriously when referring to SoCal.

I'm sorry if that sounded hipster-ish, and I know it's all relative, but damn... it's funny to hear someone complain about the weather around here lol.

Old
09-03-2013, 02:10 AM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
It's funny to see someone use the word "humid" seriously when referring to SoCal.
Better call in and tell KTLA to be a bit more serious, then.

'Expect More Heat and Humidity – Mark Kriski Has the Labor Day Forecast'
'Humid Weekend Ahead, High Beach Temps – Mark Kriski’s Friday Forecast'
'Hot and Humid, Flash Flood Watches – Mark Kriski’s Thursday Forecast'

Also, I exercise my right as an Englishman to complain about the weather.

Last edited by Sureshotte: 09-03-2013 at 02:23 AM.
Old
09-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
Quote:
Haha WHAT?! Horrendous weather?! I've been living in LA for a month now (coming from NY) and let me tell you boys... you know nothing about horrendous weather. It's funny to see someone use the word "humid" seriously when referring to SoCal.

I'm sorry if that sounded hipster-ish, and I know it's all relative, but damn... it's funny to hear someone complain about the weather around here lol.
NY is outright disgusting for the last week and a half in terms of humidity. Can't wait for Fall.

Old
09-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Terry Yake

Quote:

i take it you used to live somewhere else other than NY where the weather was 90+ or hotter for a week straight?

you can get used to cold weather but you just don't get used to hot weather. it's absolutely miserable when the weather is this bad and you spend most of the day outside

Old
09-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
Quote:
i take it you used to live somewhere else other than NY where the weather was 90+ or hotter for a week straight?

you can get used to cold weather but you just don't get used to hot weather. it's absolutely miserable when the weather is this bad and you spend most of the day outside
What he is saying is the humidity and heat in the summer in NY is absolutely awful, I think. It gets similar to Florida here occasionally, only that people here don't handle it nearly as well. Add to that the city being inherently warmer and you're in for an awful summer. Coming from northern Germany, it rarely gets properly cold in NYC.

Old
09-03-2013, 08:58 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
As someone who has lived in somewhat hot, muggy Boston along with actually hot and disgustingly muggy Houston and ridiculously hellishly hot but rarely muggy Phoenix, I can safely state that neither SoCal nor NYC get that hot during the summer. Y'all are just wimps. And have a decided lack of air conditioning in the north east.

Closed Thread